What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Warhol’s art was about the scene and the consumption and the “happening”. He was satirizing pop art while “making” it. Ironically, he probably did it for the extreme attention it afforded him, meaning he was only partially deliberately satirizing pop art but really making money and celebrity by satirizing the buyers through their consumption.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Nomadland was boring.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Warhol’s art was about the scene and the consumption and the “happening”. He was satirizing pop art while “making” it. Ironically, he probably did it for the extreme attention it afforded him, meaning he was only partially deliberately satirizing pop art but really making money and celebrity by satirizing the buyers through their consumption.

Yeah, he's commonly referred to as a member of the Pop Art movement, but in truth, he was a scene unto himself.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yeah, he's commonly referred to as a member of the Pop Art movement, but in truth, he was a scene unto himself.

His buddy Basquiat is Brooklyn's quintuple jersey variant thingy subject. I've tuned out on the season, but iirc they had that Basquiat floor out for the Lakers gm. He got his start from appearing with Andy. Warhol was sinking in status toward the end and JMB was just starting to rise. Probably a mutually beneficial relationship. They did dual paintings. The movie about JMB starring Jeffrey Wright was good. They delved into that whole thing w/ David Bowie as Warhol.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

His buddy Basquiat is Brooklyn's quintuple jersey variant thingy subject. I've tuned out on the season, but iirc they had that Basquiat floor out for the Lakers gm. He got his start from appearing with Andy. Warhol was sinking in status toward the end and JMB was just starting to rise. Probably a mutually beneficial relationship. They did dual paintings. The movie about JMB starring Jeffrey Wright was good. They delved into that whole thing w/ David Bowie as Warhol.

Basquiat actually got his start from grafitti as SAMO (before there was banksy) and was “discovered” before he hooked up with Warhol. Warhol actually probably (bleep) him up.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Basquiat actually got his start from grafitti as SAMO (before there was banksy) and was “discovered” before he hooked up with Warhol. Warhol actually probably (bleep) him up.

Not to turn this into the art thread, but JMB's association with Warhol raised his bona fides quickly is what I mean. The movie didn't portray their relationship as the predatory kind (e.g. Edison to younger Tesla), but they were friendly enough to do some collaboz. I'm sure Warhol enjoyed the association at that point of his life, making him newly relevant. I don't know if he was even producing reproduction at that point of his life/career. An aging artist whose works I like is de Kooning. His various periods are all interesting to me, to include his abstract sculptures. He died in 1997 and had dementia and critics say his stuff from the 1980s is a reflection of his declining faculties, but I doubt that. The 80s works are more refined and honed down, lines more than colored blotches of his earlier works. Aesthetically nice looking a lot of them. If I ever come up with a few hundred million bucks or so, I might buy a couple.

https://tinyurl.com/cvtasyv4

What art do you and Muley fancy? Who are your faves?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject:

Even a Broken Clock is Right Twice a Day is not true if said clock has a second hand.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Even a Broken Clock is Right Twice a Day is not true if said clock has a second hand.

What if all three hands have stopped?

Or if it's a digital clock?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What if all three hands have stopped?

Or if it's a digital clock?

It's true in all scenarios, even if a clock has a second hand. Brain fart.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

My top 5 off the top of my head:

Dine
Hockney
Ruscha
Johns
Rauschenberg
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Dine
Hockney
Ruscha
Johns
Rauschenberg

Something I seldom do, intrude on a conversation.

Geffory Holder ///// Ernie Barnes ///On my mancave wall Sugar Shack Earnie Barnes

Jean-Michel Basquiat
Gordon Parks

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Dine
Hockney
Ruscha
Johns
Rauschenberg

I know them all to some extent, you're a contemporary art kinda dude. I think Ed Ruscha is to me what Banksy is to Patsy. He feels gimmicky, but he did find a gimmick that worked and stuck with it. Most of those guys are huh? artists to me, but you're probably past me conceptually. I am drawn to aesthetics more than concept if I had to go with one or the other. Hockney's pools are a headscratcher at first look, but there's all kind of imagery conjured up by water/pools/reflections. Jim Dine hearts. Jasper Johns' flags were a smart idea, that image is always in as far as American taste goes, tho I'm not a flag person. Collages are often interesting, so I'll spot you Rauschenberg. Is Robert Indiana in that group? I found out not too long ago that he did the MECCA Bucks floor in the 70s, which makes sense only after having seen his work and giant letters and particular font and colors.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Dine
Hockney
Ruscha
Johns
Rauschenberg

I’m mostly into dogs playing poker
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Dine
Hockney
Ruscha
Johns
Rauschenberg

I’m mostly into dogs playing poker

For some reason, can't put a finger on it, I don't see you as a Coolidge kinda guy.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time" was (surprisingly) great.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Kathy Griffin is the only true victim of cancel culture.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Kathy Griffin is the only true victim of cancel culture.

who?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject:

Art is a mystery to me. A person can dip sponges in different paint colors, throw them at a canvas, call it art, and get paid. SMFH

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
On my mancave wall Sugar Shack Earnie Barnes

One of my favorites by him. As in his other works, his ability to capture the flow and joy of movement in a static image is superb.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Dine
Hockney
Ruscha
Johns
Rauschenberg

I know them all to some extent, you're a contemporary art kinda dude. I think Ed Ruscha is to me what Banksy is to Patsy. He feels gimmicky, but he did find a gimmick that worked and stuck with it. Most of those guys are huh? artists to me, but you're probably past me conceptually. I am drawn to aesthetics more than concept if I had to go with one or the other. Hockney's pools are a headscratcher at first look, but there's all kind of imagery conjured up by water/pools/reflections. Jim Dine hearts. Jasper Johns' flags were a smart idea, that image is always in as far as American taste goes, tho I'm not a flag person. Collages are often interesting, so I'll spot you Rauschenberg. Is Robert Indiana in that group? I found out not too long ago that he did the MECCA Bucks floor in the 70s, which makes sense only after having seen his work and giant letters and particular font and colors.

I enjoy and appreciate all kinds of art. But those guys strike a chord in me because it relates so closely to my own work back in the day (not by any means comparing myself to them).

They all use mixed media and a variety of stylistic expression- some graphic, some abstract, some representational, not locked into one thing—even though pretty much all of them are associated with a particular iconic series.

Dine's up there at the top of my list for his drawings. I was was much more into drawing and printmaking than painting and sculpture, though I enjoyed doing some mixed media pieces along the lines of Rauchenberg's Combines. I love the look and feel of graphite and charcoal on paper. Dine's Tools series really resonated with me for that reason. The chaotic, yet realistic renderings were reminiscent of the work I liked to do in my drawings.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Art is a mystery to me. A person can dip sponges in different paint colors, throw them at a canvas, call it art, and get paid. SMFH

Only if somebody actually likes it and buys it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Make sense of this It's called beautiful art. That's why art is a mystery to me. SMFH

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Make sense of this It's called beautiful art. That's why art is a mystery to me. SMFH

That is so stupid, it upsets me.

Art is an exhibition for subjectivity.
Funny the link uses the word beautiful. Beauty is one of the most subjective things in the world.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That links not working for me, so hard for me to do so.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That links not working for me, so hard for me to do so.

Two people put dollops of uncomplimentary acrylic colors in what they considered "Pollock style" on a small canvas and a dude threw it like a frisbee and a big dollop of silver/gray overcoated the other colors making it mostly pointless for what they were trying to achieve. Damien Hirst does those centrifugal paintings, but he actually knows how to do them.
https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-KI451_HIRST__P_20150916164917.jpg
Hirst the former tagger famous for polka dots.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 30 of 80
Jump to: