THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3084, 3085, 3086 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

On CSPAN this morn, I watched a few mins of Walter Mondale's 1984 nomination acceptance speech at the convention. Boy it sounded exactly like something we'd hear today. He discussed how everyone there mirrored America and said we have black, white, old, young, male, female, this/that/the other, on n on and he namedropped some of the up n comers in the party with a "in a _____ we see the _____". He said, "In Gary Hart, we see a natural communicator" (along those lines). He went down a list, including Jesse Jackson and Teddy Kennedy. Then he finished up with, "In Geraldine Ferraro...we see THE FUTURE!" Audience roars. This is Magic vs Bird 1, LA Olympics, Ghostbusters 1, and it sounds like 2020. It's not that I was surprised, however. You saw all the same throng of yuppie young white guys in Alex P. Keaton white shirt and red tie and old white codgers in suits at the Reagan speech. Same basic thing you saw in those vids of Trump supporters reacting to Trump actually winning the Presidency (illicitly or not). Only diff were fewer dress shirts and more camo in some of those vids. But all in all, the more things change, the more they stay the same. It shouldn't take decades, plural, for the candidates who represent all of America to win more often than they do. It shouldn't take as long as it has just to get a POC and a woman as Pres and VP. Seeing something like that reminds you of how bleeped this country's priorities have been for a very long time now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

10 yrs since bin Laden raid today. Noticed Zero Dark 30 was on a number of times on the cable schedule.

U-S-A!, U-S-A!, Lock-her-UP!, etc.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

Osama bin Soddened
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Osama bin Soddened

We'll forget that it should be 20 years since he became ocean bottom eel and crab bait. Should've been done with at Tora Bora, but hey, Rummy and Cheney had different idears about how to string the military along here and there, just calling an end to the Afghanistan war 20 yrs later (not that we won't have to go back, but we'll just call it something else at that time). Osama is a skeleton by now, yo. I wonder if he's totally covered up in shark poo by now.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Republicans ask Biden to withdraw ‘divisive’ proposal to teach more Black history

Dozens of Senate Republicans called on the Biden administration on Friday to withdraw what they say is a “divisive” education proposal that would place greater emphasis on slavery and the contributions of Black Americans in history and civics lessons taught in U.S. schools.

In the latest salvo of a burgeoning culture war over race in America, 39 Republican lawmakers led by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said the proposed Education Department policy would divert established school curricula toward a "politicized and divisive agenda" fixated on the country's flaws.

Reuters
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

RepubliCons have no good policy ideas or fights, so they're focusing on a culture war. It's a rallying cry for their racist followers and/or white-washed voters.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Couldn’t Biden make voting day a federal holiday via executive order
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Couldn’t Biden make voting day a federal holiday via executive order

Sounds simple but this would be a HUGE win for American voters (prob loss for GOP)
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject:

The answer would be no
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

MI6 spy Christopher Steele 'produced second dossier on Donald Trump for FBI'

Quote:
The former MI6 spy Christopher Steele produced a second dossier for the FBI on Donald Trump while he was in the White House, sources told The Telegraph.

Mr Steele filed a series of intelligence reports to US authorities during the Trump presidency, including information concerning alleged sexual exploits.

Mr Steele’s continued involvement supplying intelligence to the FBI appears to give credibility to his original dossier, which sparked a Special Counsel investigation by prosecutor Robert Mueller into Russian interference into the 2016 US presidential elections.

The Telegraph understands that Mr Steele, through his company Orbis Business Intelligence, continued supplying raw intelligence to the federal authorities in the US.

The second dossier contains raw intelligence that makes further claims of Russian meddling in the US election and also references claims regarding the existence of further sex tapes. The second dossier is reliant on separate sources to those who supplied information for the first reports.

The fact the FBI continued to receive intelligence from Mr Steele, who ran MI6’s Russia desk from 2006 to 2009 before setting up Orbis, is potentially significant because it shows his work was apparently still being taken seriously after Mr Trump took hold of the reins of power.

Intelligence gathered by Mr Steele for his second dossier is understood to include further details of Mr Manafort’s alleged Russian contacts.

Earlier this month, news sources in the US reported that Konstantin Kilimnik, an associate of Mr Manafort, had passed Trump campaign polling and strategy information to Russian intelligence sources.

The FBI interviewed Mr Steele at the Grosvenor Hotel in central London, close to his offices, in September 2017 as part of then ongoing inquiries into Russian meddling.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Facebook Panel Will Say This Week if Trump’s Account Will Be Restored

Quote:
Facebook’s Oversight Board, an independent and international panel that was created and funded by the social network, plans to announce on Wednesday whether former President Donald J. Trump will be able to return to the platform that has been a critical megaphone for him and his tens of millions of followers.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Facebook Panel Will Say This Week if Trump’s Account Will Be Restored

Quote:
Facebook’s Oversight Board, an independent and international panel that was created and funded by the social network, plans to announce on Wednesday whether former President Donald J. Trump will be able to return to the platform that has been a critical megaphone for him and his tens of millions of followers.

Trump = $ for Facebook. They'll let him back.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

This.

================================================

Facebook and Zuckerberg suck: all about the $.

Facebook: Where you can show the world how great your life really is (NOT).

Facebook: Where your grandparents love to hang out.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
kikanga wrote:

This.

================================================

Facebook and Zuckerberg suck: all about the $.

Facebook: Where you can show the world how great your life really is (NOT).

Facebook: Where your grandparents love to hang out.

Could the US Govt step in and keep the Leader of the "Greatest Attack on US Democracy ever" muzzled...

Life is so much better with the worst American ever birthed muzzled and out of sight..
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject:

They should let him back IMO. He is no longer an official. He’s just a senile Alex Jones that will keep the covers pulled back on the other racist politicians.

They want him gone and only want to use his brand. The more he speaks the more they are forced to embrace him and keep him front and center. A trumptard will not win.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject:

This is a truly sad reflection of the GOP at this point. Ohio GOP Rep. Anthony on Liz Cheney:

"If a prerequisite for leading our conference is continuing to lie to our voters, then Liz is not the best fit. Liz isn't going to lie to people. Liz is going to say what she believes. She's going to stand on principle. And if that's going to be distracting for folks, she's not the best fit. I wish that weren't the case."

The single most damning quote about the state of the GOP
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
On CSPAN this morn, I watched a few mins of Walter Mondale's 1984 nomination acceptance speech at the convention. Boy it sounded exactly like something we'd hear today. He discussed how everyone there mirrored America and said we have black, white, old, young, male, female, this/that/the other, on n on and he namedropped some of the up n comers in the party with a "in a _____ we see the _____". He said, "In Gary Hart, we see a natural communicator" (along those lines). He went down a list, including Jesse Jackson and Teddy Kennedy. Then he finished up with, "In Geraldine Ferraro...we see THE FUTURE!" Audience roars. This is Magic vs Bird 1, LA Olympics, Ghostbusters 1, and it sounds like 2020. It's not that I was surprised, however. You saw all the same throng of yuppie young white guys in Alex P. Keaton white shirt and red tie and old white codgers in suits at the Reagan speech. Same basic thing you saw in those vids of Trump supporters reacting to Trump actually winning the Presidency (illicitly or not). Only diff were fewer dress shirts and more camo in some of those vids. But all in all, the more things change, the more they stay the same. It shouldn't take decades, plural, for the candidates who represent all of America to win more often than they do. It shouldn't take as long as it has just to get a POC and a woman as Pres and VP. Seeing something like that reminds you of how bleeped this country's priorities have been for a very long time now.

I was a delegate at the 1984 DNC and remember that speech. I listened half-heartedly because I knew Fritz Mondale was going to take an historic beating in the General Election (I was for Hart). The Alex-P.-Keaton-Wall-Street-Gordon-Gecko-Greed-Is-Good culture was huge - even on the democratic side.

"Saint Reagan" did some incredibly awful things as POTUS, but he projected the image that our then 80% white electorate responded to: old, white, wealthy, steady and an icon of 1940s (pre-Civil Rights) Amerikka. A deep analysis of his presidency will show the myriad of ways in which his 8 years in office ushered in 50 years of doom for the country and the world.

"But he brought down the Soviet Union and the Berlin Wall!!!" OK, assuming that they didn't collapse under the time and tide of history, I'll give him credit for those. I'm not going to start a St. Reagan debate here (running to a MD appointment), but if any St, Reagan apologists want to start a new thread, about him, I'll return with my bazooka and receipts.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject:

Reagan, as President, was an old man with young hair...and an old/declining mental state.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I was a delegate at the 1984 DNC and remember that speech. I listened half-heartedly because I knew Fritz Mondale was going to take an historic beating in the General Election (I was for Hart). The Alex-P.-Keaton-Wall-Street-Gordon-Gecko-Greed-Is-Good culture was huge - even on the democratic side.

"Saint Reagan" did some incredibly awful things as POTUS, but he projected the image that our then 80% white electorate responded to: old, white, wealthy, steady and an icon of 1940s (pre-Civil Rights) Amerikka. A deep analysis of his presidency will show the myriad of ways in which his 8 years in office ushered in 50 years of doom for the country and the world.

"But he brought down the Soviet Union and the Berlin Wall!!!" OK, assuming that they didn't collapse under the time and tide of history, I'll give him credit for those. I'm not going to start a St. Reagan debate here (running to a MD appointment), but if any St, Reagan apologists want to start a new thread, about him, I'll return with my bazooka and receipts.

I wanna see this thread
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I wanna see this thread

I would too except we try to keep politics like that to this thread only.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject:

Have said for a long times that Reagan was the most effectively evil president of my lifetime. Cheney, who was responsible for much of the W era policy, as well as Rumsfeld and a host of others, were all Reagan acolytes. And much of Trump’s ideas and people are fruit of that tree. Reagan (or perhaps more accurately some of those around Reagan) was responsible for the incorporation of the Christian Right into the GOP mainstream. Evangelical white supremacy. Taking what the white citizens council had done in the south and transferring it to broader America. And he was smart enough to target unions as the biggest political threat.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

I've spent so much of recent history marinating in Trump as the worst president ever, I almost forgot the very close runner-ups - Reagan, Bush 2, Nixon, Bush 1. That may even be my order. Would have to think about it.

Trump - already the worst then tried to turn the country into a permanent dictatorship with an actual failed insurrection. And killed 400K+ Americans due to intentional mishandling of COVID.
Reagan policies brought us decades of income inequality which continues to grow.
Bush 2 brought us decades of wars and openly used torture.
Nixon - yeah he was a dirty trickster, lying racist, but he at least actually resigned when he got caught. And he was the impetus for starting Fox News.
Bush 1 - racist Willie Horton ad was a symbol for racist policies enacted including race-based war on drugs.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Tue May 04, 2021 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

The reason I rank Reagan worst is effectiveness. Almost all of what Trump wrought comes directly from Reagan.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I've spent so much of recent history marinating in Trump as the worst president ever, I almost forgot the very close runner-ups - Reagan, Bush 2, Nixon, Bush 1. That may even be my order. Would have to think about it.

Trump - already the worst then tried to turn the country into a permanent dictatorship with an actual failed insurrection. And killed 400K+ Americans due to intentional mishandling of COVID.
Reagan policies brought us decades of income inequality which continues to grow.
Nixon - yeah he was a dirty trickster, lying racist, but he at least actually resigned when he got caught. And he was the impetus for starting Fox News.

Anything regarding Ford or GHWB even if they are on a different tier from those others? HWB knew about Iran-Contra as did Ronnie. Not that that was on par w/ the stuff other Rs have done, but what was galling was how basically none of them got any real punishment for breaking two laws (one was a Constitutional amendment, iirc). It's weird to me that Robert Strange McNamara felt more guilt for his actions that weren't technically unlawful, or at least actions for which he was never adjudicated, and GHWB never had to discuss Iran-Contra til the day he died. It's just one of those things where if a Dem did it, imagine how big a deal the Rs would've made it. Similarly, LBJ went off and smoked/drank himself to a heart attack after he decided not to seek reelection and his last speech was a rather sad display where he discussed the importance of civil rights. He popped a nitroglycerin in his mouth at the podium.

Nixon did resign, but even with that he's given too much credit. Unlike Repubs today, he had a Repub Congress that were the equivalent of the 84 Georgetown Hoyas in defending him -- UNTIL... the very last moment and he finally quit when he lost the Southern boll weevil faction and was advised to do so in order to save himself and the party from the ignominy of actually being impeached. That was back when they could be embarrassed at SOME catastrophic point. But in doing that, it's giving the bird to lawful Americans when he could've given people the satisfaction he owed them. I think he was contrite to some degree in the coming decades, but noting his warped personality, I doubt he ever felt bad because of what he actually did instead of the fact he got caught. He was like DT in that he wanted to screw others to survive and when he got down to John Dean, he met his match because Dean wasn't willing to do that for him like Erlichmann or Haldeman or Mitchell. BTW, Haldeman is one of the more famous characters who was an alum of mine, which makes me feel just great.

Dean said Nixon pressured him to write a letter where he basically said that he, Dean, was the person who told Nixon to do what he did and after Dean avoided it as much as he could, Nixon was about to send him to Camp David to draft the letter and he couldn't go until he did. It takes a narcissist like Nixon (or DT) to think everyone's gonna play ball to protect him and ruin their careers and even go to jail. I don't know where he left Dean. I suppose they never spoke again after Dean decided to cooperate. True repentance by Nixon would've been to admit no one but him was to blame for his own decisions and then to apologize to those who he bleeped (not the HR Haldeman henchmen types), but the John Deans of the world. Nixon was more inclined to wallow in self-pity. That was his way, his loser speech in the 62 California gubernatorial race to Pat Brown became legend ("You media, just think of what you'll be missing...you won't have Richard Nixon to kick around anymore...") He once did an interview at Oxford (iirc) and even with an audience inside, they could hear the boos from the crowd outside, and he said he had to live w/ that reaction wherever he went as punishment. Younger people who assisted him in his private life during his advancing years said he was privately uber contrite to them, but of course that doesn't cut it for him to be given credit by the public and historians. The one thing we can give him is that Trump won't even bother to do as little as Nixon did in that regard. He's such a piece of work that he makes Dick look quaint/cute as Rachel Maddow put it recently.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue May 04, 2021 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Bush - Iran/Contra CIA shenanigans.

Reagan was the worst because he was the most successful and got the most done undercover. Iran/Contra was his, too.

Trump was the second worst - he operated without any regard to norms or standing policies and subsequently destroyed five decades worth of institutional knowledge and 75 years worth of foreign policy & international good will.

Bush 2 is next. We're still fighting his wars, and he tanked the economy so badly that America overcame just enough racism to elect a black guy to follow him.

Bush 1 only had 4 years, but managed to drag us into Desert Storm, which was basically him protecting his father's former business partners in the Gulf and keeping Saddam from having a bigger piece of the oil market than the Saudi Royal Family.

Ideologically, Nixon was thisclose to Kennedy. The desire to become POTUS, however, led to two of the most shameful parts of Nixon's legacy: 1) Nixon courting the Dixiecrats/implementing the "Southern strategy," & 2) Nixon undercutting LBJ's peace talks and extending the Vietnam War an additional 5+ years. Watergate was nothing compared to those two actions.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3084, 3085, 3086 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 3085 of 3663
Jump to: