Too many official/mega threads?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Too many official/mega threads?

One of the things that kept me coming back to LG even before I had an account was the unique threads. After every game you could bet on there being lively discussions in any number of threads on a variety of topics. Now, admittedly, this could get carried away and there was some trolling and a lot of duplication of ideas. However, I wonder if the site has gone too far towards the ideology of having all discussions collected in organized mega-threads. The past few years especially I find myself on LG less just because none of the threads ever really change, and it's hard to integrate into ongoing discussions.

Wondering if anyone else feels the same, or if this is a product of less site traffic, etc. But I really do miss the days of reaction threads, even when they could be over the top. Of course I could be the only one who feels this way, and if so, feel free to disregard.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject:

I agree somewhat. You get a lot of different conversations stepping on eachother because they're about the same player or aspect of BBall. Plus you tend to get 1 or 2 responses and then the conversation just dies because it's several pages back by the time you look at it again.

There's a spectrum and the mods need to choose where they want LG to be on it.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject:

***Official too many official threads thread.***

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject:

I agree with OP.
Stuntman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject:

I agree with op. I’ve also noticed the site crashes much more often. Is it possible hundreds of people opening several 2000 page threads is causing larger payloads?

Either way it was nice to talk about different parts of a players game. I’ll even take the essays postnpivot would type out for us.

I’ve always been more of a lurker but have come on here almost daily since I joined. I post even less tho because the threads go in too many directions.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject:

It's not just here but everywhere the trend has been towards sites becoming echo chambers. If you don't follow the general majority opinion of a site the tendency is to label the person a troll and drive them either off the site or into silence. Dissenting opinions were once thought of as valuable for discussion but now if you don't fit within a group's orthodoxy, people tend to migrate where like minded people congregate and discourage those who think differently.

People will protest and say it isn't so, but this isn't just here it's virtually every site on the internet. I hated the last President but I didn't think he should be banned from Twitter... maybe suspended for awhile during the Capitol building fiasco... but what good is it if all the opposing factions simply migrate to separate sites where nobody checks each other and the only thing that becomes valued is uniformity of thought.

I don't even post most of my thoughts because I know people just want to hear how lucky we are to have LBJ and AD and how the front office has been a godsend. So I quietly read most of the time and pray that Juzang somehow falls in our lap this summer.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject:

Stuntman wrote:
I agree with op. I’ve also noticed the site crashes much more often. Is it possible hundreds of people opening several 2000 page threads is causing larger payloads?

Either way it was nice to talk about different parts of a players game. I’ll even take the essays postnpivot would type out for us.

I’ve always been more of a lurker but have come on here almost daily since I joined. I post even less tho because the threads go in too many directions.

postnpivot...I don't remember the drama that got him banned but I did mostly enjoy the conversations he sparked. Those are the kinds of discussions you wouldn't find elsewhere besides a place like LG
seble24
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject:

I couldn't agree more with the OP. I don't post much, but I've been around for a long time. The past year or so I find myself only reading the game recaps and occasionally the free agency thread (which goes back like 2 years).

I'm sure there are interesting discussions going on but I don't have the energy to click through all the mega threads to find out what specifically people are talking about.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Too many official/mega threads?

Don Draper wrote:
Now, admittedly, this could get carried away and there was some trolling and a lot of duplication of ideas.

That's a understatement. Message boards are full of self-absorbed people who think that whatever random thought passes through their so-called brains deserves its own thread. They will tell you that they feel stifled by the big aggregate threads because no one responds to their banal, infantile drivel. If the board still worked that way, we would get 10 different threads reacting to, say, Dennis Schroder's decision not to sign a contract extension. The worst posters on the board would create the majority of those posts, because most people will just ignore their rubbish in a General thread.

The problem is that the first page of the Lounge, and really the first 20 threads on the first page, is the prime real estate. 6-10 posts tend to be stickied, so we're really down to about 10-15 spots. After that, a lot of people just quit scrolling down.

So sure, I understand that it was sort of fun to see all of the random hot takes after something major happened, but I really don't miss those days. Most of the time, it was just annoying.
seble24
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject:

There's a middle ground between what it is now and a wild west. Mods can merge and move things as needed to keep it under control. These official threads usually have multiple unrelated conversations going on at one time, which makes them hard to follow if you're just jumping in.

It would be interesting to see some metrics on how active the forum is and how many people are posting compared the past.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Too many official/mega threads?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Now, admittedly, this could get carried away and there was some trolling and a lot of duplication of ideas.

That's a understatement. Message boards are full of self-absorbed people who think that whatever random thought passes through their so-called brains deserves its own thread. They will tell you that they feel stifled by the big aggregate threads because no one responds to their banal, infantile drivel. If the board still worked that way, we would get 10 different threads reacting to, say, Dennis Schroder's decision not to sign a contract extension. The worst posters on the board would create the majority of those posts, because most people will just ignore their rubbish in a General thread.

The problem is that the first page of the Lounge, and really the first 20 threads on the first page, is the prime real estate. 6-10 posts tend to be stickied, so we're really down to about 10-15 spots. After that, a lot of people just quit scrolling down.

So sure, I understand that it was sort of fun to see all of the random hot takes after something major happened, but I really don't miss those days. Most of the time, it was just annoying.

Yes but if someone posted a bunch of stupid new threads they used to be merged/locked or would naturally fall down to the bottom of the page due to lack of interest. And the user could be warned/suspended/banned if enough people complain.

It probably took more moderation but I’m sure there’s a middle ground that can be reached versus forcing users to sort through a 1000 page threads that are just named after every player to find something interesting to discuss.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Too many official/mega threads?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Honestly, I don't even look at the Stickied threads unless I'm seeking out the game thread(s). The 2 threads last updated in 2020 are just taking up space at this point. I skip to the top of the regular threads and see if there's anything new to talk about but there often isn't so I just pop open the FA thread and then move on to off topic.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject:

Turn LG to Reddit? Or just go to Reddit, that’s what they’re there for.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the all-in-one approach either. I often simply choose not to dive in whatsoever.

Nash Vegas wrote:

Ironically, this site was Reddit before Reddit in how it used to allow a wide range of topics to be created.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Too many official/mega threads?

Don Draper wrote:
One of the things that kept me coming back to LG even before I had an account was the unique threads. After every game you could bet on there being lively discussions in any number of threads on a variety of topics. Now, admittedly, this could get carried away and there was some trolling and a lot of duplication of ideas. However, I wonder if the site has gone too far towards the ideology of having all discussions collected in organized mega-threads. The past few years especially I find myself on LG less just because none of the threads ever really change, and it's hard to integrate into ongoing discussions.

Wondering if anyone else feels the same, or if this is a product of less site traffic, etc. But I really do miss the days of reaction threads, even when they could be over the top. Of course I could be the only one who feels this way, and if so, feel free to disregard.

I'd say the reality is "the unique threads" weren't all that unique. They were just slight variations on the same few basic themes that people talk about over and over.

All they did was provide an easier entry point for people who wanted to hop in whenever, talk about the topic for a bit, and move on their merry way.

I am not sure there is a better or worse approach. In the mega threads, stuff tends to get lost in the black holes. In the gadzillion of "unique threads," a handful of people talk about the topic before being pushed to oblivion by the next wave of "unique threads."

I don't think either approach really brings a better level of discussion.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
It's not just here but everywhere the trend has been towards sites becoming echo chambers. If you don't follow the general majority opinion of a site the tendency is to label the person a troll and drive them either off the site or into silence. Dissenting opinions were once thought of as valuable for discussion but now if you don't fit within a group's orthodoxy, people tend to migrate where like minded people congregate and discourage those who think differently.

People will protest and say it isn't so, but this isn't just here it's virtually every site on the internet. I hated the last President but I didn't think he should be banned from Twitter... maybe suspended for awhile during the Capitol building fiasco... but what good is it if all the opposing factions simply migrate to separate sites where nobody checks each other and the only thing that becomes valued is uniformity of thought.

I don't even post most of my thoughts because I know people just want to hear how lucky we are to have LBJ and AD and how the front office has been a godsend. So I quietly read most of the time and pray that Juzang somehow falls in our lap this summer.

Bingo buddy! I said in another thread that America is turning into a communist country where differing opinions are not welcomed or appreciated. Every time someone thinks outside the box, and doesn't just regurgitate what the majority are spewing like lemmings he/she is attacked.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Bingo buddy! I said in another thread that America is turning into a communist country where differing opinions are not welcomed or appreciated. Every time someone thinks outside the box, and doesn't just regurgitate what the majority are spewing like lemmings he/she is attacked.

Depends on the topic. Like some people saying things like Derek Chauvin is innocent and doesn’t deserve jail time, that’s not outside the box thinking, it’s just dumb ignorance, and they deserved to be mocked by the majority 100 folds.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Miss you
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

I don't think that's quite it.

Particularly in social media, you have people who only want to express their opinion, and interact with people who already agree with them, and not hear from people who have an alternative viewpoint. Everyone wants to talk; no one wants to listen.

But that isn't about people disliking "outside the box" thinking. It's about them disliking thinking that differs from theirs, whether their thinking is "outside the box," cliched, stupid or smart.

It's not a case of there being a "majority" who spew like lemmings. Most people can be put into groups that spew like lemmings. I encounter very few people who genuinely have "outside the box" thinking, and those few people are generally very gracious and accepting of other points of views.

Generally, when people consider themselves "outside the box" thinkers, they more often have commonplace, stupid, or cliched thoughts, and they're just frustrated when others don't immediately agree with them and they have to defend their thoughts.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

If I had a dime for every time someone told me because we won 17 trading almost everything was justified.

I enjoy listening to contrarian/opposing positions when they are well articulated but most of the time I'd hear people say... we won 17 so nothing else matters.

Now I have people telling trying to tell me we are in a decent position if we sign Schroder for a huge contract knowing if LBJ slips even a little it's game over with AD, Kuzma, and Schroder as the new foundation.

I miss the days when people would say Jimmy Butler, Kemba, Tobias Harris, Kyrie weren't good enough for this team instead of hyping up Schroder because they know we traded everything else so we have no other choice but to accept him.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
If I had a dime for every time someone told me because we won 17 trading almost everything was justified.

I enjoy listening to contrarian/opposing positions when they are well articulated but most of the time I'd hear people say... we won 17 so nothing else matters.

Now I have people telling trying to tell me we are in a decent position if we sign Schroder for a huge contract knowing if LBJ slips even a little it's game over with AD, Kuzma, and Schroder as the new foundation.

I miss the days when people would say Jimmy Butler, Kemba, Tobias Harris, Kyrie weren't good enough for this team instead of hyping up Schroder because they know we traded everything else so we have no other choice but to accept him.

It's better to win now, than every season we're just gonna talk who is the superstar who they will get from free agency. Those pieces that was traded aren't even winning chips where they are now.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject:

I hear you, man. I don't go into the mega threads often, I check in everyday but seems like reddit and twitter is the top source for bball stuff nowadays. I still enjoy LG because you have top contributors like DB who does the post-game write ups and LG just feels like an older, more mature crowd than the rest of the internet. We are a big family and I've followed a lot of the posters here for years.
Pureshot77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject:

What ever happened to the official piss and moan thread
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Ironically, this site was Reddit before Reddit in how it used to allow a wide range of topics to be created.

And the irony of that, Reddit is starting to become more LG with a ton of moderation and threads getting locked in Lakers Reddit if it’s similar to another thread’s topic.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Generally, when people consider themselves "outside the box" thinkers, they more often have commonplace, stupid, or cliched thoughts, and they're just frustrated when others don't immediately agree with them and they have to defend their thoughts.

In my experience, about 95% of the "outside the box" thinkers are just self-absorbed egotists who are actually right inside the box, but who like congratulating themselves for having opinions that people disagree with. The other 5% are truly interesting people.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: