Official JEANIE BUSS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Linda is the brains behind the operation
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:53 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
13thOverallPick wrote:
First female owner to win championship too.

oops already posted.

Co-first female owner to win a championship with her sister Janie.

Simply pathetic.
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:

Took Jimmy 5 years to never reach the playoffs.

Took Jeanie 2.5 years to win a ring.

Facts dont have feelings.

This should just be quoted every time VLF rears his ugly head.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject:

Keep up the good work!
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject:

I really wonder what kind of role she or the Rambii have in the latest round of moves. My guess is this is all Klutch and Rob. And most owners/governors of teams don't meddle too much in these things (with some notable exceptions around sports). But I'm glad Jeannie is not one of them.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject:

Mah qween!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject:

The True Buss heir.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:

Good job, boss lady
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Maybe Linda is the brains behind the operation

Or maybe it's her Boss; at the end of the day, Jeanie is going to
make the call not anyone else.

Credit where credit is due.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

richsmith wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

This should just be quoted every time VLF rears his ugly head.

Then it'll be quoted hundreds of times a day because the guy has a bizarre obsession with going to a forum where most people dislike him.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject:

This is what the Roman Empire in Gladiator would have looked like if Lucilla took over instead of Commodus after Caesar died. Just sayin'.

Your Pops would be ridiculously excited right now, Jeanie. Brava to the Queen of the City.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
This is what the Roman Empire in Gladiator would have looked like if Lucilla took over instead of Commodus after Caesar died. Just sayin'.

Your Pops would be ridiculously excited right now, Jeanie. Brava to the Queen of the City.

Absolutely agree.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:

I need to make a shirt that says this.
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
32 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
13thOverallPick wrote:
First female owner to win championship too.

oops already posted.

Co-first female owner to win a championship with her sister Janie.

Simply pathetic.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Way to go Jeanie! Dr. Buss chose the right kid to lead the way.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

I need to make a shirt that says this.

In fairness to the previous FO, they did have to go through a let down after the Kobe retirement/end of Kobe era that most franchises go through. You have seen it with San Antonio since Duncan retired as well, and Duncan was much more cap friendly and easier to build around late in his career than Kobe was.

I do not think the 5 years vs 2.5 years is a fair comparison. and I've seen Jim Buss as an incompetent since 2012 when he enforced D'Antoni on a team that was much better suited to be playing for someone like Phil Jackson. All out of personal bias against the greatest coach in NBA history.

If Jeanie had been in charge from the get go, I would assume it would have taken her more than the 2.5 years to get the championship as well as there was always gonna be a downturn with Kobe retiring/close to retiring in decline. What I think the major major difference here is this. And I said this when Dwight left in 2013. Sure maybe in hindsight we dodged a bullet when Dwight didn't stay in 2013. However at the time when I was reading up on Dwight's comments, one of the things that struck me was how well he spoke of Jeanie. Immediately I sensed that Jeanie understood what her dad did. You make the stars feel at home, and you make them feel like family. Only Jeanie did this. Jim didn't have this. He didn't have the personality, especially combined with Mitch's personality to draw anyone in free agency or make players feel like this was home. Think about the Lamar Odom communication, after the failed CP3 trade. Instead of making things right with LO, they just sent him packing for a trade X, hurting Bryant's chances at title #6. Sure LO was done, being a good player, but the league did not know that at that time, and you could have gotten a good player back to give Kobe a shot at #6. Instead they make a rash decision, and send the 6MOTY and Kobe's 2nd best/valuable teammate after Pau away for no impact player coming back in.

To me it's never been that Jim can't get the team into the playoffs or the timelines or anything like that. I think it's selling power and brand identity. As well as communication with players. Jim and Mitch were so bad at this, that at one point they end up with Moz and Deng as their best FA signings. I just don't see Bron ever coming to the Lakers if he had to deal with Mitch and Jim. That's the real problem those dudes had, not that they could not win. Mitch/Jim put together a lot of great teams around Kobe being coached by Phil. But if you look at it deeply, most of it was via trade/draft and a lot of it was influenced by Phil's coaching. Mitch traded for Pau. Jim wanted Bynum drafted and molded. Mitch had traded for Odom/assets in the Shaq trade. No major FA signings. Phil influenced a lot of what went on as well as shadow GM, giving them direction.

Jeanie gets that you have to let the star players feel like this is their thing, and they are a family. Dr Buss made Magic his son, as he did Kobe. This is ultimately why she won against her brother, IMO. The star players love Jeanie, and want to come play for Jeanie's team. They couldn't for Jim's. Since Jim had no selling ability, even if he were committed to the job and had the team's best interest at heart (in his mind).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
To me it's never been that Jim can't get the team into the playoffs or the timelines or anything like that. I think it's selling power and brand identity. As well as communication with players. Jim and Mitch were so bad at this, that at one point they end up with Moz and Deng as their best FA signings. I just don't see Bron ever coming to the Lakers if he had to deal with Mitch and Jim. That's the real problem those dudes had, not that they could not win. Mitch/Jim put together a lot of great teams around Kobe being coached by Phil. But if you look at it deeply, most of it was via trade/draft and a lot of it was influenced by Phil's coaching. Mitch traded for Pau. Jim wanted Bynum drafted and molded. Mitch had traded for Odom/assets in the Shaq trade. No major FA signings. Phil influenced a lot of what went on as well as shadow GM, giving them direction.

Jeanie gets that you have to let the star players feel like this is their thing, and they are a family. Dr Buss made Magic his son, as he did Kobe. This is ultimately why she won against her brother, IMO. The star players love Jeanie, and want to come play for Jeanie's team. They couldn't for Jim's. Since Jim had no selling ability, even if he were committed to the job and had the team's best interest at heart (in his mind).

I agree.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject:

I found Jeanie's appearance on All the Smoke to be a really engaging interview to listen to.

Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a fan of hers, but it is what it is.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject:

It's soooo nice not to hear any of the Busses undermining the organization anymore. No annual Jeannie pre-Free Agency sabotage. No Jim boasts and spin. The recent silence is purple and golden.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I agree.

The difference is that Mitch inherited a great team from Jerry West and simply needed to turn it into a dynasty, which he did, even though it looked bad at first when he traded Shaq. Mitch is a solid GM in that situation, but if you're starting from scratch, he's not the guy.

When you're starting from scratch, you also need to build a culture, and Mitch/Jim had no idea how to do that.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie always did an amazing job of telling her father's story and the history of the franchise. Then she takes the keys and puts it in the hands of the star player and say, now you need to carry this legacy.

A player of star power and vision would eat that up and run with it if they want to become a legend. Very few of those in the NBA but then again there's ONLY one Laker franchise.

We are in good hands folks. Rob is running a tight ship with Jeanie's trust.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
danzag wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I agree.

The difference is that Mitch inherited a great team from Jerry West and simply needed to turn it into a dynasty, which he did, even though it looked bad at first when he traded Shaq. Mitch is a solid GM in that situation, but if you're starting from scratch, he's not the guy.

When you're starting from scratch, you also need to build a culture, and Mitch/Jim had no idea how to do that.

You just don't "build a culture" in half a year.

We didn't have the patience to wait the growth of our top lottery picks, and I understand that.
But Mitch was doing a solid job in rebuilding through the draft.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
danzag wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I agree.

We didn't have the patience to wait the growth of our top lottery picks, and I understand that.

It's true it takes more than half a year to build a culture, but in the process, others around the league see that you're building one, and it will attract someone like LeBron to finish that job.

Look at the Knicks - Thibs hasn't been there a full year yet, but we know they're building a culture thanks to him, and now there's chatter that Zion might want to go there soon.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
danzag wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I agree.

Sorry but none of the young guys we had had that "IT" factor. Ingram and Randle were talented. Zo could have had "IT" but he doesn't know how to communicate or speak. DLo was an idiot. Clarkson loved to party.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22
Jump to: