This year's Lakers team just doesn't have "it"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: This year's Lakers team just doesn't have "it"

Is it me, or does it seem like this season's Lakers team has no chemistry, no hunger, no enthusiasm, different agendas, and seem very disjointed.

* Dennis Schröder makes demands as a new guy (to start), then proceeds to turn down lucrative extensions, and then he has a public spat with our head coach, and it's not like he's been blowing it up out there.

* Marc Gasol started out the season bloated and out of shape. And then he publically criticized his role when Drummond came, which couldn't have made Drummond feel welcomed, adding to locker room tensions, perhaps?

* Montrez Harrell is acting like a mental case out there, ala Kyrie Irving. He seems depressed, out of it. Often barks at his own players mid game, and tends to disappear offensively and defensively too often. His body language sucks, and it doesn't seem like he gives a damn.

* Anthony Caruso, instead of improving his game, has actually regressed. Seems like he got too into himself after winning the ring last season and forgot that improvement is a consistent endeavor for an NBA pro.

* KCP, other than the occasional good game, has been abysmal. I can understand having a slump. But a season long slump is not acceptable at his pay rate.

* Wesley Matthews has been a pure disappointment. I don't know if much was expected from him, but even what little was likely expected (hit some 3's play some D), he has been inept at executing.

* Even Anthony Davis started the season like he didn't care. Often lazy with his effort, he underachieved the majority of games before his injury, blaming it on his being "tired", or "pacing" himself.

This year's Lakers doesn't have the drive, focus, dedication, enthusiasm, nor the energy that last season's team has. Not sure if things will come together in time for the post season. Blame it on a short off season, or some bad signings, or whatever. This year's Lakers team just doesn't seem to have that bond last year's team had. Just my 2 cents.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject:

Dude, we were just fine with LBJ/AD (remember when we were #1 in the West) until the injury and COVID bug hit. I'm not worried at all.

I think when they come back, our bench and role players will be stronger having had to swim without LBJ/AD, and even Drummond for a long period of time. They have performed much better than anticipated, even going 4-3 on a long road trip.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: This year's Lakers team just doesn't have "it"

troy wrote:
Is it me, or does it seem like this season's Lakers team has no chemistry, no hunger, no enthusiasm, different agendas, and seem very disjointed.

* Dennis Schröder makes demands as a new guy (to start), then proceeds to turn down lucrative extensions, and then he has a public spat with our head coach, and it's not like he's been blowing it up out there.

* Marc Gasol started out the season bloated and out of shape. And then he publically criticized his role when Drummond came, which couldn't have made Drummond feel welcomed, adding to locker room tensions, perhaps?

* Montrez Harrell is acting like a mental case out there, ala Kyrie Irving. He seems depressed, out of it. Often barks at his own players mid game, and tends to disappear offensively and defensively too often. His body language sucks, and it doesn't seem like he gives a damn.

* Anthony Caruso, instead of improving his game, has actually regressed. Seems like he got too into himself after winning the ring last season and forgot that improvement is a consistent endeavor for an NBA pro.

* KCP, other than the occasional good game, has been abysmal. I can understand having a slump. But a season long slump is not acceptable at his pay rate.

* Wesley Matthews has been a pure disappointment. I don't know if much was expected from him, but even what little was likely expected (hit some 3's play some D), he has been inept at executing.

* Even Anthony Davis started the season like he didn't care. Often lazy with his effort, he underachieved the majority of games before his injury, blaming it on his being "tired", or "pacing" himself.

This year's Lakers doesn't have the drive, focus, dedication, enthusiasm, nor the energy that last season's team has. Not sure if things will come together in time for the post season. Blame it on a short off season, or some bad signings, or whatever. This year's Lakers team just doesn't seem to have that bond last year's team had. Just my 2 cents.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject:

You don’t have to like each other to win as we have seen before, but I get what you are saying.

I’ll hold off until the ramp up to playoffs and playoffs, they are at a star disadvantage right now, but yeah they were missing “it” even when healthy. Part of that was boredom however they had some weaknesses that got exposed, which is why Drummond is here imo.

Turnovers are a big problem. Need to fix that ASAP or you won’t get far in the playoffs.

The one thing I know for sure is all these guys better keep their heads down and not say (bleep) about playing time or contract talks because a bunch of end of bench guys who barely play had to go in and save their ass from embarrassment.

Some of these guys need a reality check on how easy it is to be out of the league if you don’t produce. They got too dependent on being on Lebron’s team. Ask how that worked out for some former Cavs and Heat.

Last edited by LakerSD on Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

What was our team record before AD/LBJ got hurt?

What is this, Clippersground.net? We don't care about this regular season. Get this current squad healthy into the playoffs and we will be a wrecking ball.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

Who wants that scary ass clown anyway

Last edited by Kava on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject:

OP, do you miss Rondo?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject:

“It” being health.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

What is this, Clippersground.net? We don't care about this regular season. Get this current squad healthy into the playoffs and we will be a wrecking ball.

I mostly agree with you and hope we are fine. Having said that, I have one pushback - Early this season, it was the Clippers who looked like 2019-20 Lakers and have been surging again. The Lakers looked like the 2019-20 Clippers.

Somewhat of a role reversal. We will see what happens when the real games are here.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

The Clippers didn't care about the regular season last year either.

How'd it go for them?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The Clippers didn't care about the regular season last year either.

How'd it go for them?

Do we hang up banners for winning a Division or Conference title?

We all knew this short turnaround was going to be tough on our team and it was. We know that AD/LBJ in the playoffs, are basically the top 2 players in the league and they proved that they can win. They're hurt. That's the story of the season.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject:

Tremendous dumb luck that we've been able to maintain the league's best Defense all season long with over half the payroll in street clothes and a different supporting player seemingly going down every game.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I mostly agree with you and hope we are fine. Having said that, I have one pushback - Early this season, it was the Clippers who looked like 2019-20 Lakers and have been surging again. The Lakers looked like the 2019-20 Clippers.

Somewhat of a role reversal. We will see what happens when the real games are here.

How would the Clips look if PG/Kawhi were both out for 10-20 games?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject:

With a healthy Drummond, Legramps and Davis we have more than "IT"
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

How would the Clips look if PG/Kawhi were both out for 10-20 games?

We saw it last season and they are doing ok without them this season too.

We still have LBJ and AD so we should be fine. Also now Drummond to help with our rebounding deficiencies especially on the defensive end after working so hard...giving up 2nd chance points has killed this years team.

Point being is the supporting cast has really disappointed tbh. The clippers never looked like a G League squad without PG/Kawhi last season and they don’t this season.

That’s honestly my big takeaway. Some of the Lakers (bleep) about playing time and contracts sometimes look like they would be out of the league. Just goes to show how much Lebron and AD cover for this team. Also feel like the Lakers roster this season is better than the Clippers. That wasn’t the case last season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

I don't know off the top of my head. What was the Clips record without both of them? I'm not talking about only one being out.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't know off the top of my head. What was the Clips record without both of them? I'm not talking about only one being out.

It’s not really all that relevant imo. They never had to go huge stretches of the season missing both guys.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It’s not really all that relevant imo. They never had to go huge stretches of the season missing both guys.

Exactly.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject:

I looked up statmuse, it says 4-2 without them.

But I’m just going off how they look without both. It doesn’t look like a lottery team. Obviously they would never win the chip without both those guys just like any other team without stars, but like I said the main takeaway is it makes our supporting cast look bad when they should be better.

No one expected McGee, Howard and Green to suddenly win games when compared to what the Clippers had last season, but this season with Schroder, Harrell, Gasol, Matthews and full season from Kieff that should be enough to cover what Lou, Harrell and Green and a few others did for the clippers. That’s before even adding Drummond and McLemore.

It’s not even about the Clippers. We shouldn’t look this bad with the non-LBJ/AD roster. There is plenty to look better than they have imo.

I guess in a nutshell it’s obviously last season we were weak 3-10. Everyone knew it and it was our elite defense, playoff Rondo and KCP shooting that helped in getting the chip. This season we have no excuse for our 3-10 performance.

Last edited by LakerSD on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I looked up statmuse, it says 4-2 without them.

But I’m just going off how they look without both. It doesn’t look like a lottery team. Obviously they would never win the chip without both those guys just like any other team without stars, but like I said the main takeaway is it makes our supporting cast look bad when they should be better.

No one expected McGee, Howard and Green to suddenly win games when compared to what the Clippers had last season, but this season with Schroder, Harrell, Gasol, Matthews and full season from Kieff that should be enough to cover what Lou, Harrell and Green and a few others did for the clippers. That’s before even adding Drummond and McLemore.

It’s not even about the Clippers. We shouldn’t look this bad with the non-LBJ/AD roster. There is plenty to look better than they have imo.

As Ocho said, it probably is sporadic and not like what we have with AD/LBJ missing huge consecutive stretches of time. It's really an apples to oranges comparison.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject:

I disagree, but that’s fine. I’m not going to sugarcoat long stretch vs. short spurts.

2020-21 Lakers 3-10 haven’t done enough imo.
2019-20 Lakers 3-10 didn’t have the skills. Kawhi was hoping that would sabotage us enough for him to beat LBJ/AD.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
“It” being health.

Literally that is the only issue to be concerned about, and it's an issue with a light at the end of the tunnel.

We had plenty of chicken little posts and threads last season going on and on about how the sky was falling, and we ended up winning the championship. Never change, LG Forums.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

We can't judge these guys individually until we get to the playoffs and we see how they perform there. Chris Paul is one of the top competitors in this league and he loved Schroder last year. In interviews he was gushing about him. Hope Schroder brings that same determination in the playoffs this year. I expect he would since he's playing for a contract.

I do agree Gasol should not have told everyone what he's thinking in public way. Comments like that can affect team chemistry and good team chemistry without is absolutely critical for success no matter how much talent you have. That was kind of unprofessional from someone who has been the epitome of a pro during his career.

Last edited by ducasse on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 am; edited 3 times in total
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject:

I feel like this post really lacks the context of the effect of those two top guys injured.

We have players who probably should be resting due to legitimate injuries (DS, Kuz, KCP, AD2) who really are unable to because we have our top two guys out. They are forced to return to the lineup sooner because we simply don’t have the bodies to compete without them. In turn their performance is affected by the fact that they’re not fully healthy and they’re now being the sole focus of opposing team’s game plan.

This is a byproduct of the play in game and the extra cautious time we afforded our superstars. To me - rather than congratulating them for playing beyond expectations 4-3 on a road trip - they’re lambasted for losing to teams at full health.

These guys just won a ring and were the last to have fans and yet it’s still never good enough in Lakersland because patience is nonexistent.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

This is more of rant than objectivity. Defense wins championship and we have have been mostly consistent in that end despite missing our Anchor . We have enough firepower, we just need to be healthy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: