The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject:

NPZ, you kill me sometimes.

I hate Seagal, but your Jamaican accent endorsement convinced me.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject:

I had Under Siege on vhs back in the day, and watched it a lot. It was a passable Die Hard ripoff for its time. The sequel is ok. Though Segal was probably my least favorite of the action stars from the 90s vhs generation.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
NPZ, you kill me sometimes.

I hate Seagal, but your Jamaican accent endorsement convinced me.

It's not just the accent, but the dialogue. This flick is a piece of work, but I love it. I'm not a Seagal fan, he's a prick, but I detach from that in movies from his prime.

Here's a scene. I know what they're saying, but it's silly. The head bad guy is Screwface and he has a twin brother (or a malevolent voodoo magic copy of himself, so there are two Screwfaces, essentially). This movie does so little in terms of explaining itself that you're left guessing left and right if there was a prior or later scene connected to the one you're watching that got cut off in editing. The guy from Scarface was the evil Colombian drug lord and we're talking such low budget here that they filmed a scene of the movie w/ the character he played, but with a different guy playing it who vaguely resembles him. Then, apparently, they secured the Scarface guy, but never refilmed the other scene because it was an expensive or troublesome shootout scene, apparently. There are so many bizarro things beyond having two different actors playing the same character. That's a yuge messup and it's not even the only thing. The actress Elizabeth Gracen is in it, she plays Seagal's sister. She was one of Bill Clinton's former ladyfriends.

I do like that they call Seagal a bomboclot about 50x. That's accurate.

Fight scenes:

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
I had Under Siege on vhs back in the day, and watched it a lot. It was a passable Die Hard ripoff for its time. The sequel is ok. Though Segal was probably my least favorite of the action stars from the 90s vhs generation.

I like Under Seige, too. Can't beat Busey. That was probably the most money a Seagal film was ever able to land from a studio. They did get Tommy Lee Jones to join, too. The best actor Steven ever faced.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Interesting category, best Steven Segal movies. In no particular order.

Under Siege
Above the Law
Hard to Kill
Under Siege 2
Executive Action
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject:

The Arclight will not be reopening. A devastating loss for the city.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject:

I'm a Steven Seagal fan. I like all his movies. He breaks things with a crack, bones visibly snap in half, stabbed Tommy Lee Jones in the top of his head. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Under Siege
Above the Law
Hard to Kill
Under Siege 2
Executive Action

He ripped a dude's throat out w/ his bare hand in US1, haha. I think that was a very small sharkjump moment in his prime that foreshadowed the later fat Elvis period. Watch that movie and tell me that Jones and Busey weren't on coke for the entire shooting. They were far more bizarre in their obvious improv scenes than they already were sober. Seige 2's nemesis was Everett McGill of Silver Bullet, Heartbreak Ridge, Twin Peaks fame, like him. Hard To Kill is the other major one I forgot, like that one too, of course. Kelly LeBrock one.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Busey and Jones are what keep it from being yet another mindless Segal armbar frenzy. TLJ is doing a very kosher Hans Gruber-lite (I hope that's a compliment). Busey was sharp too; he spits in Ryback's soup. Nowadays he would've just dunked his head in it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Busey and Jones are what keep it from being yet another mindless Segal armbar frenzy. TLJ is doing a very kosher Hans Gruber-lite (I hope that's a compliment). Busey was sharp too; he spits in Ryback's soup. Nowadays he would've just dunked his head in it.

Busey was the ugliest "woman" in drag in history behind Guiliani.

This is the most Seagally of all Seagal scenes. The "Anybody seen Ritchie?!1..." scene.

He did more destruction in a bar scene than the T800:

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject:

Rewatched 1917 because some friends hadn't seen it before. Probably a top 5 war movie of all time. It's a cinematic feat.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
panamaniac wrote:

Busey was the ugliest "woman" in drag in history behind Guiliani.

This is the most Seagally of all Seagal scenes. The "Anybody seen Ritchie?!1..." scene.

He did more destruction in a bar scene than the T800:

I watched Out for Justice last night. Typical Seagal movie. Had the Seagal swagger walk all over the place. Richie (William Forsythe) played a drugged out maniac. He did a good job. The movie's nothing to write home about.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

Its a low bar, but Under Siege was my favorite Segal movie. Its followed closely by Executive Decision because he's barely in it lol.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
Its a low bar, but Under Siege was my favorite Segal movie. Its followed closely by Executive Decision because he's barely in it lol.

Erika Eleniak was a Playboy Centerfold July 1989. No, she's not a great actress but she did well in Under Siege. She was also in Baywatch.

panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Rewatched 1917 because some friends hadn't seen it before. Probably a top 5 war movie of all time. It's a cinematic feat.

I really enjoyed it as well; seeing it in theaters was quite the experience.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Under Siege
Above the Law
Hard to Kill
Under Siege 2
Executive Action

That was Executive Decision right? That's my favorite on the list but Steve was just a cameo at the beginning.

The 2 Under Siege movies fall 2a/2b for me. I never saw birthday cakes the same after Under Siege 1.

Good list.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Under Siege
Above the Law
Hard to Kill
Under Siege 2
Executive Action

That was Executive Decision right? That's my favorite on the list but Steve was just a cameo at the beginning.

The 2 Under Siege movies fall 2a/2b for me. I never saw birthday cakes the same after Under Siege 1.

Good list.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject:

I forget the one that takes place in Alaska with Michael Caine as the bad guy, but the dialogue is so laughably bad it makes an otherwise pointless exercise fun.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I forget the one that takes place in Alaska with Michael Caine as the bad guy, but the dialogue is so laughably bad it makes an otherwise pointless exercise fun.

Wikipedia

On Deadly Ground is a 1994 American action adventure film directed, co-produced by, and starring Steven Seagal, and co-starring Michael Caine, Joan Chen, John C. McGinley and R. Lee Ermey. It is Seagal's only directorial effort, and features a minor appearance by Billy Bob Thornton in one of his early roles. Seagal plays Forrest Taft, an expert firefighter who decides to fight back against the environmental destruction caused by his ruthless former boss.

On Deadly Ground earned $38.6 million during its theatrical run, failing to bring back its reported $50 million budget, and received negative reviews.

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The Arclight will not be reopening. A devastating loss for the city.

Hopefully someone buys the Cinerama (if not most locations) and keeps them running in the same manner. I know it’s probably a pipe dream but there’s gotta be someone, maybe even Tarantino, that will buy it to preserve it and keep it out of the hands of the big chains.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
kikanga wrote:

How do you rate it to To Hell And Back?

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I've never seen To Hell and Back. But I'll check out the trailer and see if I like it.

If you want to check out 1917 it's on that Showtime app.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I've never seen To Hell and Back. But I'll check out the trailer and see if I like it.

I watched it. I thought To Hell And Back was the better movie. It's an account of Audy Murphy's World War II experiences as a soldier in the U.S. Army

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Claire Denis' work from Chocolat (1988) through Nénette et Boni (1996) would mark her as an incredible talent worth watching but her artistic leap to Beau Travail (1999) and beyond is one of the great unexpected gifts of modern cinema. I love No Fear, No Die (1990), and so many filmmakers would count it as their best film if they could have even ever made it.

But nine years later Beau Travail...?

Pure genius.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I watched it. I thought To Hell And Back was the better movie. It's an account of Audy Murphy's World War II experiences as a soldier in the U.S. Army

We all have our personal tastes. I tried giving T Hell and Back a shot after your recommendation. But it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 105 of 189
Jump to: