What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject:

I hate sauerkraut. Coincidence; You guys talking about broccoli. I'm having broccoli and cauliflower mixed for dinner tonight.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
His comedic timing is pretty good too.

#Twins
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject:

People who love to go on cruises make no sense to me.

I think even if I won tickets for a free all expense paid cruise, I wouldn't go. I'd try to sell the tickets. If I couldn't sell them, I'd give them away to a stranger.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
People who love to go on cruises make no sense to me.

I think even if I won tickets for a free all expense paid cruise, I wouldn't go. I'd try to sell the tickets. If I couldn't sell them, I'd give them away to a stranger.

You'd miss seeing one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

I've seen whale and dolphin pods. Those are memorable sights. What do you have against the ocean?

I haven't been in the middle of the ocean for quite a while. People I know who go on cruises say you can still all the stars, the clouds are whiter, the water is clear blue, you can see as deep as 10 feet into it, the air smells different. In essence, it's cleaner.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

21 reasons why cruises are the worst
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject:

I've never understood the appeal of a cruise, especially the ones that are weeks or months long. Maybe if I was trying to escape Sicily in the 19ots and Ellis Island was waiting for me on the other end. My parents and grandparents prepared their lives in such a way that I wouldn't have to ever be on a boat overnight.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Unless you have a love of the sea I understand why a cruise isn't on your to do list. I loved the sea. It was so serene and relaxing.

In today's climate, I wouldn't go on a cruise. I have a friend in the tour booking business. She would give me a very good rate. I won't go. I did my time at sea in the navy, loved it.

When the sea calm it's relaxing. When it's angry it's beautiful and exciting. I was fortunate to be on the bridge so I got the full effect of a storm.

As I prefaced IMO you have to have a love of the sea to appreciate its beauty.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
My parents and grandparents prepared their lives in such a way that I wouldn't have to ever be on a boat overnight.

(with San Miguel Beer)
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Unless you have a love of the sea I understand why a cruise isn't on your to do list. I loved the sea. It was so serene and relaxing.

In today's climate, I wouldn't go on a cruise. I have a friend in the tour booking business. She would give me a very good rate. I won't go. I did my time at sea in the navy, loved it.

When the sea calm it's relaxing. When it's angry it's beautiful and exciting. I was fortunate to be on the bridge so I got the full effect of a storm.

I checked out the USS Midway in San Diego. My biggest takeaway was: screw being below deck. So claustrophobic. Seems like the bridge would be better. I'd want to be on the deck really. Below deck there was a big hanger, which was okay too. But the cafeteria, the bedrooms, the laundry room, the radio or radar room (forgot which one), etc. Spending hours, days, weeks, months down there. I'd go nuts.
Small rooms connected by small hallways, with small doorways, no natural light. No thanks.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I checked out the USS Midway in San Diego. My biggest takeaway was: screw being below deck. So claustrophobic. Seems like the bridge would be better. I'd want to be on the deck really. Below deck there was a big hanger, which was okay too. But the cafeteria, the bedrooms, the laundry room, the radio or radar room (forgot which one), etc. Spending hours, days, weeks, months down there. I'd go nuts.
Small rooms connected by small hallways, with small doorways, no natural light. No thanks.

I don't know if it was due to the trip as a toddler on a rickety rrefugee boat to Malaysia from Vietnam but I've always had an irrational fear of being on a boat or being out in the deep sea. Even standing at the end of a pier and staring out at the ocean at night makes my sphincter clench.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I've never understood the appeal of a cruise, especially the ones that are weeks or months long. Maybe if I was trying to escape Sicily in the 19ots and Ellis Island was waiting for me on the other end. My parents and grandparents prepared their lives in such a way that I wouldn't have to ever be on a boat overnight.

The idea of a traditional cruise ship is abhorrent. But one of the great pleasures in life is overnighting on a boat.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
C M B wrote:

The idea of a traditional cruise ship is abhorrent. But one of the great pleasures in life is overnighting on a boat.

I can see that being true for people who don't suffer from extreme motion sickness like I do.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

If you're a reluctant father, dying in a gender reveal explosion would allow you to go out on a high note.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject:

raw scallions and raw beansprouts are disgusting
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

Audio cassettes aren't as bad as I judged them to be, back in the 80's & 90's: just use a quality (Type 2) tape and a quality deck (for recording).
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
governator wrote:

They're everywhere in asian food... I pick them out
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Audio cassettes aren't as bad as I judged them to be, back in the 80's & 90's: just use a quality (Type 2) tape and a quality deck (for recording).

There are limits to what you can do with a tape medium at 1-7/8 inches/sec. That said, I remember there was a high-end cassette deck called the Nakamichi Dragon (Wiki) that was pretty damn impressive. It cost $2,500 in the early '80s, which would be abut $6,900 today.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

There are limits to what you can do with a tape medium at 1-7/8 inches/sec. That said, I remember there was a high-end cassette deck called the Nakamichi Dragon (Wiki) that was pretty damn impressive. It cost $2,500 in the early '80s, which would be abut $6,900 today.

I had a neighbor in the barracks in Okinawa that had one of those. I settled for a Denon turntable. And a newfangled laser disc player. Nakamichi stuff was hideously expensive. He had their amp and pre amp as well.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I had a neighbor in the barracks in Okinawa that had one of those. I settled for a Denon turntable. And a newfangled laser disc player. Nakamichi stuff was hideously expensive. He had their amp and pre amp as well.

Denon made great stuff. Back when I was really into it, my CD player & cassette were Denon -- in fact, they're still in the garage somewhere (I used Threshold & PS Audio amplification.) My brother did have a Nakamichi cassette deck, but it was the model below the Dragon.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Sacrilege
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

This is the YouTube channel which led me to re-assess my dislike of consumer-level tapes and recorders...

Cassette Comeback
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:

Digital is always better than analog though. When you record anything on analog, it seems like there's always some loss of the original quality, and analog mediums don't age well either.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

Digital is always better than analog though. When you record anything on analog, it seems like there's always some loss of the original quality, and analog mediums don't age well either.

Digital is more perfectly replicable from iteration to iteration, but not necessarily from source to first recorded iteration.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
slavavov wrote:
FernieBee wrote:

Digital is more perfectly replicable from iteration to iteration, but not necessarily from source to first recorded iteration.

I'm not going to pretend I'm some expert on this stuff. Because I'm not.
But I have noticed alot of the early 00's NBA footage is blurry crap to watch now. Moreso than recordings before it. I always figured it was cause they went digital, and the quality was still crap. And now in 2021, we can't fix a 360p or 480p video and turn it into 720p or 1080p. But remastering film recordings is actually do-able. We see it with old movies all the time.
I imagine music is similar. You can take from a record and make a 320 kbps (maximum sound quality) audio file with it now. But you can't get the same quality trying to take from a tape recording.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 28 of 80
Jump to: