Laker Draft Picks All Star Success

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Laker Draft Picks All Star Success

From 1995 to 2013, the Lakers amazingly only had one lottery pick, which was Andrew Bynum in 2005. Following Kobe's injury in 2013, we pretty much sucked until the LBJ era, leading to lottery picks from 2014 - 2017.

Looking back, we drafted pretty dang well, though admittedly, I'm not confident our picks would have done as well if they stayed (actually I doubt it).

2014 - Julius Randle at Pick 7 (2021 All-Star)
2015 - D'Lo at Pick 2 (2019 All-Star)
2016 - BI at Pick 2 (2020 All-Star)
2017 - Zo at Pick 2

According to history (lifted from an article online), the chance of a #2 pick becoming an all-star is 40%, while it is only 10% for a #7 pick. Kudos to the FO for the picks, though you can also argue these were obvious picks and we could have done better. Looking at realistic picks (ignoring unrealistic, late round superstars like Giannis), we could have had the following

2014 - Zach Levine (still think we did very well considering those in the lottery - Embiid was the only star of this lottery drafted #3)
2015 - Book went #13, but no way he goes #2. KP went #4, but KP is falling off and KAT was a clear #1.
2016 - Could have gone Jaylen Brown (#3), J Murray (#7) or Sabonis (#11), but realistically, BI was the obvious pick and out of all those guys, I'd still take BI today even though two of those guys are All-Stars this year while BI isn't.
2017 - This is the most regretful one - could have gotten Tatum (#3), Fox (#5) or Spida (#13). Zo had all the hype though and Magic wanted his successor.

Overall we did pretty well. The only bad pick I'd say was Zo, but no way Magic was going to take Tatum or Fox over Zo.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

2014. Got grief for suggesting LaVine in the lottery. People said #7 was too high.

Turns out it wasn't.

2015. Booker showed out during player workouts. KP was safer going to another team considering the LAL medical team, and look at his current injury status.

2016. I prefer BI over all of them.

2017. This is the only one that makes me a touch angry, in full knowledge that Lonzo was never a franchise player, but I had Tatum at #3. The idea back then was tons of hype to trade #2 for #5 and #10, so could have had Fox and Mitchell (but likely wouldn't have been Mitchell, maybe Markkanen).

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Our scouting has been really good for those last 6 or 7 years, IMHO. You're good not only when you can draft all-stars, but NBA talent overall.
Josh Hart, Larry Nance, Jordan Clarkson, Thomas Bryant, Ivica Zubac, et cetera.

Take a look at the Celtics' draft history. 75% of the guys they've drafted since the infamous Nets trade aren't on the league anymore.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Our scouting has been really good for those last 6 or 7 years, IMHO. You're good not only when you can draft all-stars, but NBA talent overall.
Josh Hart, Larry Nance, Jordan Clarkson, Thomas Bryant, Ivica Zubac, et cetera.

Take a look at the Celtics' draft history. 75% of the guys they've drafted since the infamous Nets trade aren't on the league anymore.

Yeah, the later picks are what I was always most impressed about. Those are incredibly more difficult to find guys that will stay in the league. Marc Gasol as well was one even though it was a bit before the timeline we're talking about.

THT has more to prove but is already proving to be a great potential pick as well.

They have done an awesome job all around though no doubt!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: