The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

More Random Casts:

Mr. North (1988) - holy crap did Danny Huston's dad call in some favors for his son's mediocre directorial debut. Robert Mitchum, Lauren Bacall, Virginia Madsen, David Warner, Katherine Houghton, Harry Dean Stanton, and, of course, Anjelica all have supporting roles. Unfortunately Anthony Edwards of future ER fame can't carry a lead role and a young Mary Stuart Masterson doesn't have much to do.

Though his directorial career has been poor, Danny's been a solid character actor for going on three decades now including an exceptional turn in Jonathan Glazer's underrated slow burn psychological thriller Birth (2004).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

The much lauded Nomadland is streaming on Hulu and Judas and the Black Messiah is streaming on HBOMax.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The much lauded Nomadland

It was alright. Has its moments but the more it went along the more I tired of the “Frances does manual labor/Frances has heart to heart with a nomad” back and forth that the movie settled into. I actually would have preferred to see someone other than McDormand in the role. I’ve just seen her do this so many times.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I love classic mcdormand and she’s a versatile actor, but she does have an easy rut to get into.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

It was alright. Has its moments but the more it went along the more I tired of the “Frances does manual labor/Frances has heart to heart with a nomad” back and forth that the movie settled into. I actually would have preferred to see someone other than McDormand in the role. I’ve just seen her do this so many times.

If you've seen Zhao's The Rider, were you a fan?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

If you've seen Zhao's The Rider, were you a fan?

Haven’t seen it.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Paul Thomas Anderson is the only American director alive, under the age of 70, who has seamlessly integrated and modernized Old Hollywood into his work from Punch Drunk Love through Phantom Thread.

Inherent Vice is my favorite of modern PTA. I enjoyed it more on second viewing thanks in part to the added subtitles.

I brought up PTA in relation to Old Hollywood in no small part because of Phoenix's transformation from Freddy Quell to Doc Sportello. Anderson has developed a pure character driven cinema that reminds me so much of classic Hollywood - Inherent Vice feels like New Hollywood refracted through Old Hollywood for contemporary Hollywood to me. No wonder it fizzled and so quickly became a cult classic.

The Coen brothers, Tarantino, Jarmusch, Wes Anderson are all steeped in irony while creating moments of sincerity through that authorial lens. PTA is sincere and his artistic journey has in no small part consisted of him embracing that romantic sincerity.

So few mainstream directors now work through character anymore. They work through plot and by-the-numbers, screenplay-writing-handbook-I-bought-on-Amazon character arcs or are set dressing for ideologies from the most conservative to the most progressive. But more than loving plot or themes, I think Old Hollywood at its best loved characters and emotions. PTA gets that and has the talent to translate it to modern audiences.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Toggling between Jerzy Skolimowski's Moonlighting (1980) and the Sonic the Hedgehog movie with Jim Carrey while gently fingering the $3 copy of Castaway (2000) you bought at the refill station earlier this evening: cinephobia!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Watching a Frank Borzage film is like reading Gerard Manley Hopkins.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Just a list of a thousand or so of Scorsese's favorite movies for you to see how much you haven't seen yet: Mubi.com

And a Scorsese-penned tribute to the late Fellini: Harpers

I sincerely doubt Scorsese is as big an Aster fan as this page suggests. I know they work together on some film appreciation projects, so it's undoubtedly Mary just being nice, because otherwise their inclusion (on a list that includes, like, ~50 films after 2000) is mind boggling.

Yeah, this is a fan built list based on Scorsese's public comments, dvd commentaries, personal documentaries, and writings, so take the inclusion of some of the more contemporary films with a grain of salt. We definitely know he thinks Joker sucked, though lol.

Aster seems like a poseur to me whose not insignificant formal talents would be better served outside of the horror genre, but I'm just happy he hasn't been rounded up by Disney to make a live action Jafar origin story yet.

Absolutely. As far as this new art house horror stuff goes, Eggers seems like the one to watch.

Also, please delete your post, lest you give da Mouse any ideas . . .

I look at Disney's upcoming slate of projects and I don't know how people don't see that the Mouse House execs think we're all (bleep) eating morons.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Just a list of a thousand or so of Scorsese's favorite movies for you to see how much you haven't seen yet: Mubi.com

I sincerely doubt Scorsese is as big an Aster fan as this page suggests. I know they work together on some film appreciation projects, so it's undoubtedly Mary just being nice, because otherwise their inclusion (on a list that includes, like, ~50 films after 2000) is mind boggling.

Yeah, this is a fan built list based on Scorsese's public comments, dvd commentaries, personal documentaries, and writings, so take the inclusion of some of the more contemporary films with a grain of salt. We definitely know he thinks Joker sucked, though lol.

Aster seems like a poseur to me whose not insignificant formal talents would be better served outside of the horror genre, but I'm just happy he hasn't been rounded up by Disney to make a live action Jafar origin story yet.

Absolutely. As far as this new art house horror stuff goes, Eggers seems like the one to watch.

I look at Disney's upcoming slate of projects and I don't know how people don't see that the Mouse House execs think we're all (bleep) eating morons.

And they are right more than not.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Forgot the name of the movie, it's on Amazon prime, Dustin Nguyen and the white guy from Ip Man 4... this movie sucks
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

And they are right more than not.

Sadly yes.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Forgot the name of the movie, it's on Amazon prime, Dustin Nguyen and the white guy from Ip Man 4... this movie sucks

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Toggling between Jerzy Skolimowski's Moonlighting (1980) and the Sonic the Hedgehog movie with Jim Carrey while gently fingering the $3 copy of Castaway (2000) you bought at the refill station earlier this evening: cinephobia!

A bunch of Volker Schlöndorff flicks on your watchlist leaving Criterion at the end of the month...?

Time to re-watch Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject:

A pitch to the Hollywood adjacent crowd on LG.com: In the Realm of the Senses for the COVID era...?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

Why does almost every Hollywood movie have a puke filter these days? See: https://twitter.com/TheFilmUpdates/status/1363683244974112769
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

Why does almost every Hollywood movie have a puke filter these days? See: https://twitter.com/TheFilmUpdates/status/1363683244974112769

Liv and Erland forever.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Jennifer Connelly vs. Demi Moore.

Who is the better actress?
And who do you think is prettier?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I don't think either is a good actress but if I have to choose I choose Demi. Also better looking. She posed nude for Playboy but that's not why I think she's prettier. She was younger and very attractive when she did the Playboy shoot. Really she hasn't changed that much.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

My answer:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Liv and Erland forever.

Oh, absolutely.

I'm looking forward to the Hollywood remake of The Life of Oharu starring, ohhhh... let's say Hailee Steinfeld.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

What a great question, Jennifer Connelly on the pony machine or Demi Moore on the clay making, 80s top hotness
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

My answer:

I have two words for you: Mulholland Falls.

You’re welcome.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
kikanga wrote:

My answer:

I have two words for you: Mulholland Falls.

You’re welcome.

My dad loves that movie and I'm starting to suspect why.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 97, 98, 99 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 98 of 189
Jump to: