Let's all Laugh at the Clippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Bol wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
bum2 wrote:
Can't laugh. They weren't going anywhere and they were proactive in getting something for Blake ( who they could have lost for nothing last summer ) and CP, the same.

If they can get decent things for Jordan and Williams, then I'd be strangely optimistic, if I was a Clipper fan.

Put Jerry West in a room with free agents and maybe good things happen, again.

If you're a FA superstar and you're meeting with Jerry West, what gives you the faith that they will quickly build a team around you that is good enough to beat GSW and win a world championship? They'll need 2 guys of that caliber to sign.

With that org's track record, and with the fact that West is like 80 years old and may not want to do this that much longer, what will make them a super attractive FA destination? At the very least, Doc Rivers needs to go. He is a massively overrated coach.

This Clipper organization’s track record is much more solid than this Laker organization’s track record. Sterling and Dr. Buss are gone.

The Clippers traded away CP3 and Blake Griffin in less than a year.

I don't think so.

I agree. We'll see what happens, but to me all they've done is go from a good team that wouldn't win a championship to a bad team that won't win a championship. That's not improvement. They freed up cap space by trading Blake, but are they going to get anyone better than Blake with that money? I doubt it. I mean, he's the kind of player most teams are hoping to sign when they have room. We've all seen plenty of teams with cap space over the last several years end up throwing big contracts at unworthy players. The top FAs are going to places where they're basically guaranteed to win.

They did fine without Blake and he didn’t fit that well with the team. So now they got some good players in a deal with him and they did get a 1st round pick.

Very few teams are going to have a shot at beating the Warriors anyway. If they can get any more picks and make it easier to rebuild it makes sense. Blake isn’t leading a team to a title, so keeping him for 5 years trying to win is wasting 5 years. He had his chances to win with CP3 and came up short. The sooner they start over the better.

I like Blake's talent but don't think he has great intangibles. If Blake was traded for PG13.1 somehow, I'd worry about the Clippers.

But no, they traded CP3 and Blake. So, they don't even have a good history with their own players.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Bol wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
bum2 wrote:
Can't laugh. They weren't going anywhere and they were proactive in getting something for Blake ( who they could have lost for nothing last summer ) and CP, the same.

If they can get decent things for Jordan and Williams, then I'd be strangely optimistic, if I was a Clipper fan.

If you're a FA superstar and you're meeting with Jerry West, what gives you the faith that they will quickly build a team around you that is good enough to beat GSW and win a world championship? They'll need 2 guys of that caliber to sign.

With that org's track record, and with the fact that West is like 80 years old and may not want to do this that much longer, what will make them a super attractive FA destination? At the very least, Doc Rivers needs to go. He is a massively overrated coach.

This Clipper organization’s track record is much more solid than this Laker organization’s track record. Sterling and Dr. Buss are gone.

I don't think so.

I agree. We'll see what happens, but to me all they've done is go from a good team that wouldn't win a championship to a bad team that won't win a championship. That's not improvement. They freed up cap space by trading Blake, but are they going to get anyone better than Blake with that money? I doubt it. I mean, he's the kind of player most teams are hoping to sign when they have room. We've all seen plenty of teams with cap space over the last several years end up throwing big contracts at unworthy players. The top FAs are going to places where they're basically guaranteed to win.

They did fine without Blake and he didn’t fit that well with the team. So now they got some good players in a deal with him and they did get a 1st round pick.

Very few teams are going to have a shot at beating the Warriors anyway. If they can get any more picks and make it easier to rebuild it makes sense. Blake isn’t leading a team to a title, so keeping him for 5 years trying to win is wasting 5 years. He had his chances to win with CP3 and came up short. The sooner they start over the better.

I understand the logic, but I feel like it ignores the reality of how unlikely it is to actually build a championship team. As an L.A. native and a basketball fan since the 80's, I've witnessed a lot of the Clippers' bleak history. They basically sucked for 30 years trying to get a legit star, and Blake was by far the best player and biggest star they ever drafted. Getting him meant they weren't a joke anymore, so a player like CP3 was willing to go there. Throwing that away just means going right back to being a team wandering around in the wilderness looking for a star, searching for an identity. Could they get lucky and draft the next LeBron? Sure, but the odds are extremely low. Being a solid playoff team is pretty good, especially for a team with the history of the Clippers. And the most likely ceiling for their rebuilding is that they will just become a playoff team again. Getting the players to win a title takes a ton of luck.

Sometimes if you have it good, I think it's better just to enjoy it while it lasts rather than starting over because you think you could have it even better.

Not sure how I feel about that. Winning championships is hard but shouldn’t that still be the goal? 50 win seasons hasn’t made them popular even in their own city.

DeAndrew Jordan can leave in the off-season so even if they kept Blake the future didn’t look good for them. Even this season they were struggling to make the playoffs with Blake.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Bol wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
bum2 wrote:

I don't think so.

I like Blake's talent but don't think he has great intangibles. If Blake was traded for PG13.1 somehow, I'd worry about the Clippers.

But no, they traded CP3 and Blake. So, they don't even have a good history with their own players.

I didn’t agree with the comment that the Clipper organizations track record is better. I just don’t see this as a bad trade. You shouldn’t just keep Blake because you are scared to look bad if you trade him.

CP3 looks like a difficult person to get along with and Blake only seems to improve on offense, not defense. They tried the experiment for 6 years and it didn’t work. I don’t remember ever thinking they were a championship team. They never even won in the second round. For 3 years in a row they didn’t play the Warriors because they lost to someone else, and if they did play the Warriors they would have been embarrassed. A team should go for a higher goal than that.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Clippers did one thing right, they hired Jerry West...
Blargg
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Yeah, the dude build the Lakers and Warriors dynasties, and helped turn the Grizzlies around. Not saying he'll bring the Clippers to the Finals, but at least he knows what he's doing.

People wanted the Clippers to blow it up for years, and now they have.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject:

lmmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude

just

lmaooooooooooooooooooooo

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

I guess deep down, Jerry's still a Lakers Fan...!
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Is this where I log my official giggle?

If so, may I also drop a salty tear and a very tiny violin here as well?

vida24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject:

You love to see it.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

A win wouldn't have been on Jerry, so neither is this loss. The Logo is there just to cash checks and provide a job for his son. However, the fact that they hunted the Lakers legacy, basically tried to one-up us at every turn and then

FAILED SPECTACULARLY

is just freaking perfect. A first round loss could've been blamed on the Bubble, but losing the way that they did - an EPIC collapse, followed by acrimonious finger pointing - is a tragi-comedy of the first order!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Bump
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject:

i'd not be as excited had the Clippers especially PG, Rivers and Ballmer kept rubbing it in against Lakers any chance they got throughout this season. remember Rivers' stunt to cover up Staples Laker banner with Clipper player posters? yeah, bush league things like that really piss me off.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject:

The Owners, Players and Coaches may change, but the Clipper Curse remains...!
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

CURSED !!!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject:

Many teams hate the Lakers because of their success. But most of these same teams respect the team, the organization, and the way we conduct ourselves, good time's or bad.

Not so the Clippers, I think all of the posing, the taunting, the whining just rubs most people the wrong way.

If we win another title this year, man the scoreboard will be sweet. maybe we give out our rings the night we play the Clippers, wouldn't hat be sweet?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject:

And now, one of their "dogs," the reigning SMOY, is a Laker.

Clippers subreddit is going bonkers.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Bump

Bump again
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject:

The definition of a cursed franchise.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject:

wtf, I keep thinking they are about to make some big signings/moves but they have done nearly nothing and weren't even able to use the much talked about "Trezz s&t" I kept hearing was going to bring back a nice piece.

There was a surprising amount of solid passing guards in both free agency and traded yet none went to the Clippers

I went to a Clippers forum and they're talking about getting Dion Waiters as there pg since even Rondo is long gone now.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Nice pick up of Ibaka, but I'm sure we will have our annual hearty laugh at them again.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Nice pick up of Ibaka, but I'm sure we will have our annual hearty laugh at them again.

Yep, he should push, Zubac to the bench..

So their starting five may be:
Kawhi
George
Ibaka
Morris
Beverly

ehh, not bad, but their bench is weaker, Zubac and Williams are not as scary as Harrell and Williams...
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Kawhi
George
Ibaka
Morris
Beverly

ehh, not bad, but their bench is weaker, Zubac and Williams are not as scary as Harrell and Williams...

talking to raps fans Ibaka living off his defensive rep from OKC. Hes a shell of himself on that end and needed lowry to make him an offensive threat
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Kawhi
George
Ibaka
Morris
Beverly

talking to raps fans Ibaka living off his defensive rep from OKC. Hes a shell of himself on that end and needed lowry to make him an offensive threat

Yeah, I talked to someone last night that watched a lot of Raptors games and he was saying his defense ranges from mediocre to awful most of the time and the majority of the time he was given the ball he was a complete black hole on offense.

I started looking around and found an article from I believe a Raptors fan that broke down just how much better the Raptors were both offensively and defensively when Marc started versus Ibaka. It was a pretty large difference, much more then I would have expected.

Plus Ibaka makes Zubac nearly unplayable now against us and some other teams as that second unit will be slow af and we'd run them to death. Zu on Trez or AD? Lou on Shroder? etc.

Hopefully the Clippers fill out there roster without a legitimate passing pg and I believe we'll have a pretty huge advantage. Games still have to be played but I love our chances against anyone in the West currently.

Saying all that, Ibaka is still a solid signing obviously I just think he saved them from being a possible late seed Playoff team to still being up there with Denver if things work out for them. They still have me waiting for some big move but considering there extreme lack of assets i'm not seeing how it happens.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

The Ibaka move definitely makes them a lot better than last year for playoff purposes, Not sure what they will be like in the RS, if as good. Depends on Kawhi's health, but in terms of their match up ability, they made some good moves. Not the earth shattering moves they wanted to make, but they got a bit better.

On the flip though, Kawhi has historically needed a point guard like Lowry, or Tony Parker to help him get over the finish line. I think he saw that they can't do that with Pat Bev/Lou. That's still unaddressed. So I'm sure all season they will be looking to make that trade - for a point guard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

With all the changes (including Players and the Coach) they made from last season, it may further cause some issues with team chemistry,,,

Not that I am wishing anything bad on them..

Wait a minute..YES I AM...!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16
Jump to: