🏈NFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREAD🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Bucs have growing pains. These players haven't played with each other and it shows.

Yep. Expectations are too high. Let's wait until they have 3 4 games under their belts to see where they are.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Good to see AJ Green back
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Brady with another INT. Bucs looking dismal after the 1st TD.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Brady threw another INT. Max Kellerman is somewhere smiling and licking his chops. I can see him fidgeting waiting for tomorrow.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Brady threw another INT. Max Kellerman is somewhere smiling and licking his chops. I can see him fidgeting waiting for tomorrow.

Quote:

July 2016

“Tom Brady’s just about done,” Kellerman declared. “It could be his next game, it could be a year from now, but he is going to fall off a cliff. Tom Brady is going to be a bum in short order.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Bucs good team on paper, in real life NFL games they need a lot of work....
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Burrow is unbelievable, there is no way he looks like a rookie.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Strangest ending to a game I have seen. 16-13 game, Burrow drove the Bengals down inside the 5 for the tying FG. The kicker pulled a muscle on the kick and pushed it to the right.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Chargers finally had luck come on their side.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Nobody talking about Cam Newton and the Pats?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

July 2016

“Tom Brady’s just about done,” Kellerman declared. “It could be his next game, it could be a year from now, but he is going to fall off a cliff. Tom Brady is going to be a bum in short order.

Kellerman's an idiot, but what else is new?

The first interception was on Evans, as he stopped running his route. That's freaking pathetic, but if he's been working with a one-read QB and a lax coaching staff, that's understandable (Arians claimed it was miscommunication, but that doesn't pass the eye test). The second interception was all on Brady though.

Arians just doesn't have his team ready. Sure, abbreviated training camp, no OTAs, and no preseason have something to do with it. but much of it was just poor coaching. Special teams were a mess last season, and this season they're even worse, leading to one Sants touchdown and one blocked FG. They also had horrible coverage on the punt returns, the gunners left open running lanes.

The play calling was stupid. Brady started off with a controlled passing attack that led to a TD on the first series. New Orleans defense was left reeling, so what did Arians/Leftwich do on the second and subsequent series? Running plays which went nowhere. The TB OL stinks at creating holes for their RBs, not to mention it destroyed Brady's passing rhythm.

The OL was also awful, all too often passing pockets were not created. That LT is pure garbage, and was outplayed by a Saints nobody.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Rivers moved the offense all day. The Colts had almost 450 yards of total offense and never punted once. Just a couple of mistakes, yes, and maybe Rivers just makes too many of those to consistently lead a team to wins now. I realize that this is quite possible. However, they were going nowhere with Brissett, who just isn't very good. He makes Teddy Bridgewater look like Aaron Rodgers. So I get why they went for signing Rivers, as at least their team has plausible upside with him.

With the Mack injury, at least now the RB rotation is simplified. Taylor will get a ton of carries and I think that's probably a good thing, frankly. Beyond that, Hines will also get a lot of work as a poor man's version of what Ekeler brought to the Chargers and Rivers last year. I won't bury the Colts after Week 1, although that's certainly a bad loss.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Was great to see Aaron Rodgers torch the Vikings, but I'm not convinced he's back at an All-Pro level. The Vikings defense was without Danielle Hunter, not to mention the fact that their defense is breaking in an entirely new group of CB's. (Oh, it showed.) I expect Minnesota to be extremely vulnerable for at least the next few weeks through the air, if not all season. Still, credit Rodgers for coming out on fire.

Oh, and here's a prediction: Rodgers will be the starting QB for the 49ers next season. The Niners can easily move on from Jimmy G after this season, and if they have an iffy season, I wonder if they will do just that. Shanny might see him as a glorified game manager. Meanwhile, as I've said before, I don't think Rodgers is back in Green Bay next season. But we'll see.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Rivers moved the offense all day. The Colts had almost 450 yards of total offense and never punted once. Just a couple of mistakes, yes, and maybe Rivers just makes too many of those to consistently lead a team to wins now. I realize that this is quite possible. However, they were going nowhere with Brissett, who just isn't very good. He makes Teddy Bridgewater look like Aaron Rodgers. So I get why they went for signing Rivers, as at least their team has plausible upside with him.

With the Mack injury, at least now the RB rotation is simplified. Taylor will get a ton of carries and I think that's probably a good thing, frankly. Beyond that, Hines will also get a lot of work as a poor man's version of what Ekeler brought to the Chargers and Rivers last year. I won't bury the Colts after Week 1, although that's certainly a bad loss.

As a Colts fan with all due respect, we're done. I believe Rivers was brought in to tank for Trevor Lawrence, and I said Rivers was done before the season started. Rivers cannot really threaten a defense, and he makes horrible decisions while tossing ducks out there. I agree with you about Hines since Rivers will be scared to throw to anyone other than RBs as the INTs pile up. The only things i'm excited about as a Colts fan is seeing the progression of Jonathan Taylor and looking forward to our high draft pick.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Chargers finally had luck come on their side.

Tyrod looked really bad yesterday.. Moving the ball just seems like such a chore with him out there, when he completes a pass longer than 7 yards down the field it feels like a miracle.

After this week, we have Chiefs/Panthers/Bucs/Saints. I could EASILY see 0-4 in that stretch.. If that happens, I think they need to see what they have in Herbert. After that stretch its Jets/Dolphins -- that seems like the perfect time to toss a rookie in there.

Still don't understand why they went with Tyrod instead of signing Cam. Both from a football perspective and a fan interest/business perspective.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Was great to see Aaron Rodgers torch the Vikings, but I'm not convinced he's back at an All-Pro level. The Vikings defense was without Danielle Hunter, not to mention the fact that their defense is breaking in an entirely new group of CB's. (Oh, it showed.) I expect Minnesota to be extremely vulnerable for at least the next few weeks through the air, if not all season. Still, credit Rodgers for coming out on fire.

Oh, and here's a prediction: Rodgers will be the starting QB for the 49ers next season. The Niners can easily move on from Jimmy G after this season, and if they have an iffy season, I wonder if they will do just that. Shanny might see him as a glorified game manager. Meanwhile, as I've said before, I don't think Rodgers is back in Green Bay next season. But we'll see.

Totally agree on Rodgers to the Niners. I think the writing is on the wall with Jimmy, and SF just feels like the perfect fit for Rodgers.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject:

New England won yesterday, but I'm not putting much stock into the win itself. As expected, it was a run-heavy attack against a Dolphins team that was bad against the run last season. Cam Newton is healthy, and looks powerful as a runner. In terms of his passing, it's the same Cam Newton: strong arm, lacks touch and trajectory. The New England offensive line looks much, much better than last season, now that Dave Andrews, Shaq Mason and Isaiah Wynn are all healthy. Last year they did a poor job protecting Brady, and an even worse job creating opportunities for RBs. Other than RT which remains a question mark, this OL might return to first quartile status.

The defensive secondary still looks elite, the front seven played fairly well, but that was against a pretty bad Miami offensive line. The real test for New England will have to come later.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:

have to do this cleanse.....as a Bucs fan, watching the game today felt an awful lot like watching a Reds game! Guys just not performing up to their ability, and shooting themselves in the foot every time they began to advance.

Bruce Arians - I am probably in the minority as a Bucs fan, but I have never been a big fan of Arians and will not be upset when he decides to retire and exit Tampa Bay. I think a lot of what took place on the field today in regards to the penalties is the direct result of a coach that is far more concerned about his image than he is in running a tight operation. This is not new for an Arians team....being Mr. Cool in camp has a price, and the price is a team that lacks discipline. I think Arians is an offensive genius and I know he has had success as a head coach, but the reason he does not have a Lombardi Trophy is because he really is an OC masquerading as a HC. I have heard players refer to Bill Belichick with many descriptions, but "cool" has never been one of them.

Byron Leftwich - He took over the play calling last season, and had one of the most productive offenses in the NFL. Today really highlighted how having a strong armed Winston throwing bombs almost every down to the best WR tandem in the NFL allows a non-elite play caller to pile up tons of yards/points. The play calling today was a joke.....it is like he did not have an understanding of his own players and never scouted the Saints. The pass plays and route trees that were being run were not conducive to Brady's strengths, and the routes (from what I could see) did not fit what Godwin and Evans excel at on an individual basis. There were a few good plays for Godwin on crossing patterns, but you have to give it to Evans on his back shoulder, or up high and allow him to go get it. Some of that was likely on Brady, but again many of the routes did not appear to be timing routes where Evans is the initial progression. Maybe someone should have told Leftwich that it is not easy to run on the Saints defense, especially between the tackles! I get you have to from time to time to keep the defense honest, but there were more than a handful of possessions where Leftwich called basic dives off the Guard on 1st and 2nd down that gained a yard or two...resulting in 3rd and long. It is just dumb....nobody is going to beat the Saints running into the teeth of that defense more than once or twice on a multiple 1st down possession. RoJo was running hard, but often running into a brick wall play after play.

Brady - He was not sharp. He has not had the strongest arm for several years, but his arm appeared strong enough....just did not appear to have command of the offense. It appears the first interception that was a miscommunication between him and Evans was actually on Brady. The 2nd interception was on Brady, but not an idea play for Brady to be running in the first place....a deep out from the boundary hash to the field sideline. It takes a Winston level arm to have enough zip on the ball to make that pass safely. Early in the game the Bucs set up a screen to RoJo and if Brady makes a nice pass, RoJo is probably still running. Brady just missed several throws. Finally, I get Brady always had the smaller slot receiver....often viewed as the short white receiver....in New England, but that is not the best path in Tampa Bay. Scotty Miller is a nice little receiver, but as a 6th Round pick from Bowling Green that is not half as talented as Evans and Godwin, he should never lead this team in targets, receptions or yards unless the other team is not defending him. Miller can make a play here and there, but the odds of something big happening by getting the ball in Evans or Godwins hands are far greater than getting it to Miller.

Other Offense - Donovan Smith is usually an average Left Tackle. He has complained a lot this offseason about COVID and I think this is his last year under contract....but in general had a bad attitude recently. Tonight he literally missed his block multiple times causing plays to get blown up. Not sure if the two are related, but he needs to be dealt with immediately. OJ Howard needs to be more involved in the passing game....he can make things happen. Fournette clearly was not comfortable in the offense yet....often appeared hesitant with the ball and did not trust the play to develop in front of him. Get the ball to Evans and Godwin...often.

Special Teams - Do not understand why you have Ryan Succop out there attempting a 54 yard FG. Arians cut Gay last week who could hit those in his sleep....but wanted Succop because while his leg is much weaker, he can be counted of from 40 yards and in....so again, why is he out there trying to kick a 54 yard FG? KO and Punt coverage both need tightened up. I am not sure what Mike Edwards was trying to accomplish on the KO Return when he ran into Mickens and caused the fumble....nor do I care at this point. I would cut Edwards....guy has been a bust since we drafted him last year, and now he is screwing up special teams.

Defense - Played well....most of the scoring was a result of turnovers and poor field position. The only really bad play was Jamel Dean blowing the coverage on the Saints TE Jared Cook, allowing him to be wide open for a 46 yard completion, and then they allowed Kamara to get loose on a long screen play. Carlton Davis basically shut down Michael Thomas, and Sanders was kept in check by the secondary. The Saints run game was mostly shut down by the front 7. I think David and White are as good as any two inside LB's in the league....and Barrett and JPP coming off the edges are a nightmare for offenses. This loss was not on the defense as the Saints had under 270 yards of offense.

I went into the game optimistic, but even I knew it would be difficult to get out of New Orleans with a win. Still, not feeling great about this team because of the way we lost. I do not see the penalties and mistakes all disappearing in Week 2....nor do I see Leftwich suddenly not calling idiotic plays. The good news is the Panthers are not the Saints, but Brady needs to come to the realization very soon that the only path for this team to win a bunch of games is to get the ball into the hands of Evans, Godwin and Howard as much as possible!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
It takes a Winston level arm to have enough zip on the ball to make that pass safely.

Winston 30INTs. I don't know if he's a good example of how to safely throw a pass and avoid an INT.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

July 2016

Kellerman's an idiot, but what else is new?

The first interception was on Evans, as he stopped running his route. That's freaking pathetic, but if he's been working with a one-read QB and a lax coaching staff, that's understandable (Arians claimed it was miscommunication, but that doesn't pass the eye test). The second interception was all on Brady though.

Arians just doesn't have his team ready. Sure, abbreviated training camp, no OTAs, and no preseason have something to do with it. but much of it was just poor coaching. Special teams were a mess last season, and this season they're even worse, leading to one Sants touchdown and one blocked FG. They also had horrible coverage on the punt returns, the gunners left open running lanes.

The play calling was stupid. Brady started off with a controlled passing attack that led to a TD on the first series. New Orleans defense was left reeling, so what did Arians/Leftwich do on the second and subsequent series? Running plays which went nowhere. The TB OL stinks at creating holes for their RBs, not to mention it destroyed Brady's passing rhythm.

The OL was also awful, all too often passing pockets were not created. That LT is pure garbage, and was outplayed by a Saints nobody.

I don't think Max is an idiot. I'd like to be at one of the post show production meetings. Those shows are scripted to an extent. He and SAS put on a show.

SAS's shtick is his loud voice, Max is his Ivy League education. Laurel and Hardy comes to mind when I watch.

In defense of SAS, he does have a great rapport with some high echelon administrators and first level players.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject:

James Conner already looks injured and like he's running in quicksand.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Big Ben is looking good. He's chunking it on target and ran for a 1st down.

PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject:

this postgame interview with the reporter 10 feet above big ben is just pure lol
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
this postgame interview with the reporter 10 feet above big ben is just pure lol

Marie Taylor qualifies for sho nuff eye candy.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject:

I like Ryan Tannehill. I think he's underrated.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 2 of 335
Jump to: