Brooklyn Nets hire Steve Nash as head coach

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Brooklyn Nets hire Steve Nash as head coach

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29800840/nets-hire-hall-famer-steve-nash-head-coach

Quote:
Brooklyn Nets hire Hall of Famer Steve Nash as head coach
play

Hall of Fame guard Steve Nash has signed a four-year contract to become the next coach of the Brooklyn Nets, sources told ESPN.

The Nets announced the hiring Thursday morning.

In recent weeks, Nets owner Joe Tsai and general manager Sean Marks have been aggressive in recruiting Nash to make the leap to head coaching that he had so far resisted in retirement after his transcendent playing career.

"After meeting with a number of highly accomplished coaching candidates from diverse backgrounds, we knew we had a difficult decision to make," Marks said in a news release. "In Steve we see a leader, communicator and mentor who will garner the respect of our players. I have had the privilege to know Steve for many years. One of the great on-court leaders in our game, I have witnessed firsthand his basketball acumen and selfless approach to prioritize team success. His instincts for the game, combined with an inherent ability to communicate with and unite players towards a common goal, will prepare us to compete at the highest levels of the league."

EDITOR'S PICKS

How the Nets build a contender with KD, Kyrie and new coach Steve Nash
Nash, 46, comes with no coaching experience, but he has a history of leadership and playing innovation. He also brings a strong relationship with Nets star Kevin Durant, forged when Nash was a consultant role for the Golden State Warriors.

The Nets announced they are keeping Jacque Vaughn as the lead assistant coach; they are making him the highest-paid assistant in the league, sources said.

Vaughn made a strong impression on Tsai and Marks after taking over for Kenny Atkinson in February, including during the league's restart in Orlando, Florida. He likely would've been the Nets' choice had Nash been unconvinced of taking the job, sources said.

"We are thrilled to retain Jacque as a leading member of our coaching staff," Marks said in the news release. "Jacque has been an integral part of our program and a key contributor to the growth and development of our entire organization. His role in developing our players both on and off the court and his influence driving our culture have been invaluable. Our players will benefit from the continuity of Jacque's presence, and we are extremely fortunate to keep him in our Nets family."

As a consultant in the Warriors organization since 2015, Nash built a relationship with Durant, a two-time NBA Finals MVP for Golden State. Nash, a two-time NBA MVP, also was among the best ever to play point guard, Nets star Kyrie Irving's position.

"He's someone I can talk to about anything and somebody I really respect. His basketball mind is probably the best I've been around," Durant told the San Jose Mercury News in 2018. "He tries to simplify the game and keep me conscious of those things as well. It's simplifying and keeping it as easy for yourself. I've learned so much. So many people taught me how to play. He's continued to teach me different things I can put in my game. I'm very grateful for him and happy for him."

Marks was a teammate of Nash with the Suns, and he has kept a good relationship with him through the years.

In a statement released by the Nets, Nash said: "I am honored to have this opportunity with such a first-class organization and would like to thank Sean, Joe and his wife, Clara, for having faith in my ability to lead this team forward. Coaching is something I knew I wanted to pursue when the time was right, and I am humbled to be able to work with the outstanding group of players and staff we have here in Brooklyn. I am as excited about the prospects of the team on the court as I am about moving to Brooklyn with my family and becoming impactful members of this community."

Nash has been pursued in several capacities since his retirement in 2015, including front-office and head-coaching opportunities, sources said.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

I did not see this coming. Congrats to Nash, I hope he does well, he definitely has great talent on that team. Hopefully Kyrie doesn't get him fired, lol
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

Good luck to him dealing with prima donnas such as Irving and Durant
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject:

He might be just the coach that those two stars need. He is a guy that knows how to get the most out of a PG like Kyrie and it appears that KD already likes his input style.

What kind of blew my mind was listening to Stephen A. Smith get upset that they didn't name a black coach.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Really hoping Nash does well, I wanted him to do good here when he got traded to the Lakers but it just didn’t work out, hopefully he can finally find real success even though it won’t be as a NBA Player.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
He might be just the coach that those two stars need. He is a guy that knows how to get the most out of a PG like Kyrie and it appears that KD already likes his input style.

What kind of blew my mind was listening to Stephen A. Smith get upset that they didn't name a black coach.

Sorry, Stephen A is full of (bleep) saying this was a "white privilege" hire because he has zero coaching experience. We've seen a number of former players in recent years be hired as an NBA head coach with zero coaching experience. It may be uncommon to see these kinds of "zero" experience hires, but it's not like this isn't the first time and it certainly won't be the last time.

It's quite asinine for SAS to say that a black man doesn't get hired to be an NBA head coach in the same situation when we've seen Doc Rivers, Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd, and Isiah Thomas all become head coaches with no prior experience. I guess they don't count?

The hiring of Nash also supposedly has something to do with his relationship with Durant while they were with GSW, so if the star player wants his next coach to be a guy who is a two-time league MVP, you're supposed to say "no" just because he's white? SMH...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
Wino wrote:

Sorry, Stephen A is full of (bleep) saying this was a "white privilege" hire because he has zero coaching experience. We've seen a number of former players in recent years be hired as an NBA head coach with zero coaching experience. It may be uncommon to see these kinds of "zero" experience hires, but it's not like this isn't the first time and it certainly won't be the last time.

It's quite asinine for SAS to say that a black man doesn't get hired to be an NBA head coach in the same situation when we've seen Doc Rivers, Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd, and Isiah Thomas all become head coaches with no prior experience. I guess they don't count?

The hiring of Nash also supposedly has something to do with his relationship with Durant while they were with GSW, so if the star player wants his next coach to be a guy who is a two-time league MVP, you're supposed to say "no" just because he's white? SMH...

SAS is gonna get fired from ESPN if he doesn’t keep his mouth shut, he always brings up racism almost every time, he needs to watch what he says.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Gl Steve. Wish it worked out here with yah. I think it just might work up there.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
Wino wrote:

SAS is gonna get fired from ESPN if he doesn’t keep his mouth shut, he always brings up racism almost every time, he needs to watch what he says.

He's playing the role ESPN hired him for unless he steps out of that he's not going anywhere.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
Wino wrote:

Stephen A. Smith acting like Nash is just some random guy rather than one of the best floor generals of his generation.

I would have loved to have had both Kidd and Nash on our coaching staff.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
Wino wrote:

Stephen A. Smith acting like Nash is just some random guy rather than one of the best floor generals of his generation.

I would have loved to have had both Kidd and Nash on our coaching staff.

Yeah, there's plenty of legit racial things to worry about without making these kind of weird comments. I remember hearing countless times while he was playing, especially in his later years how he was a great leader and would make a good coach. So not really even that surprising at all either.

It's not like the NBA is overly saturated with great established head coach hires either (black or white).
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Hey Nash, watch out for Lilliard this time!

Bye.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
Wino wrote:

He's playing the role ESPN hired him for unless he steps out of that he's not going anywhere.

I'm sorry, I can't take anything he says serious. His gimicky way he acts upset during debates is clownish to me.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject:

SAS or Jemele Hill? which one's worse?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Jemele Hill.. at least SAS can talk about sports.

Jemele is mostly about race baiting I'm trying to recall a time where she just talked sports.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject:

easybreeze wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
Wino wrote:

I'm sorry, I can't take anything he says serious. His gimicky way he acts upset during debates is clownish to me.

Well that's what ESPN wants of course they're also tanking so..
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Jemele Hill.. at least SAS can talk about sports.

Jemele is mostly about race baiting I'm trying to recall a time where she just talked sports.

She worked there until she went over a line, they told her not to cross. What she talked about was accepted, up till that point.

I'm okay with what she talked about.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

How funny would it be if D'antoni leaves Houston and joins as an assistant under his former star?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/10/23/report-nets-coach-steve-nash-hiring-amare-stoudemire-as-assistant/

Quote:
Report: Nets coach Steve Nash hiring Amar’e Stoudemire as assistant

New Nets coach Steve Nash struck out on one attempt to hire a former star teammate as an assistant.

But after Dirk Nowitzki declined, Amar’e Stoudemire said yes.

Shams Charania of The Athletic:

It’s easy to get excited about this. Nash and Stoudemire carry name recognition. They ran an excellent pick-and-roll with the Suns, and Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant could learn a few tricks.

But good players don’t always make good coaches. Does Stoudemire have the desire for the grind of assistant coaching?

It’s also unclear how large of a role Stoudemire will hold. Brooklyn retained former Magic head coach Jacque Vaughn as Nash’s lead assistant. Former Rockets head coach Mike D’Antoni – who coached Nash and Stoudemire in Phoenix – could also join the staff.

And Irving and Durant are very differently styled players. Their pick-and-rolls won’t closely resemble Nash-Stoudemire pick-and-rolls.

Still, the Nets loading up on former stars with no coaching experience is at least intriguing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: