Official Zion Williamson Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i'm not sold on Zion. if this were the 90s or the 2000s, then yes, his physique alone would make him one of the best in the league. but today's league is all about length, quickness, positionless versatility, outside shooting ability, not so much about body builder muscle, jumping ability and power game. another bad sign about Zion is his body type, he has to be very careful with his body type, i can see him blow up like eddy Curry if he's not careful with his dieting. time will tell i guess.

He is not just a linebacker playing bball.

His skillset is amazing. His court vision surprising. His ability to move his body mid-air, dexterity, footwork, unbelievable.

maybe he's a better version of Julius Randle then. i'm sorry, i'm just not a big fan of 6'8" PF (i've read Zion is actually only 6'6").
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i'm not sold on Zion. if this were the 90s or the 2000s, then yes, his physique alone would make him one of the best in the league. but today's league is all about length, quickness, positionless versatility, outside shooting ability, not so much about body builder muscle, jumping ability and power game. another bad sign about Zion is his body type, he has to be very careful with his body type, i can see him blow up like eddy Curry if he's not careful with his dieting. time will tell i guess.

His skillset is amazing. His court vision surprising. His ability to move his body mid-air, dexterity, footwork, unbelievable.

maybe he's a better version of Julius Randle then. i'm sorry, i'm just not a big fan of 6'8" PF (i've read Zion is actually only 6'6").
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Saying Zion is a better version of Randle is like saying Kobe is a better version of Swaggy P. Randle is so far removed from Zion that he's not even worth comparing.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

The kid has touch around the rim like Kyrie Irving.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject:

I was skeptical at first, but he's uncannily fast for his weight, even when he's not in game shape. He's a genetic freak, and his twitch reflexes are out of this world. People called him a more athletic Julius Randle, but I beg to differ. Dude defies physics with his speed. I hope he stays healthy because the league will be robbed of a possible generational talent if he's hurt again.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28485732/zion-williamson-preparation-preservation-no-precedent

From a few days ago. I worry about injury for him. I really hope he learns everything he can about the science and his body like Kobe and has flexibility, support, etc. as required for his body to become a fine tuned sustainable machine through and through for his whole career. This dude's been talked about as a close bodytype comparison.

Looks good to me. That guy was apparently limited by back problems and had a not-long career. Second year, his best at 23 according to bb reference, he averaged 22, 10 and 4.5. Got injured the next year and all the numbers went down the rest of the way through his prime years. I know hundreds of millions of dollars are invested so I'd think the org and NBA are on top of Zion's situation, but I almost feel like you need a big market with top orthos, sports docs, trainers, etc to have ready access to anytime you want. Get to NY, get to LA, Chicago, miami (org is all over that I think, plus NY pros).

Zion really needs to talk to people like Lebron, especially, maybe Kobe and Dwight and others about the science of taking care of and developing your body, and maybe other guys who didn't pay quite so much consistent attention to detail too to see the downside.

"He's doing s--- from a physics perspective that no one else does," Griffin says. "It's fascinating to me. We've learned more during this process than we've taught him."

Yeah, that's great. Also seems a little reactive not proactive.
ibij
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject:

wow..totally forgot about grandma.

Zion is next Grandma with higher vertical.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Saying Zion is a better version of Randle is like saying Kobe is a better version of Swaggy P. Randle is so far removed from Zion that he's not even worth comparing.

Elaborate that on the basis of the 18 minutes played by Zion in NBA so far, please
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Yup. He isn't a bull in a china shop like Jules is. He has a lot of touch and finishing around the rim. Just an unbelievable athlete.

Only injuries will stop this kid and he seems very likeable.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

He has half the things you say the modern game relies on in spades. And he has shown legitimate shooting potential. The only thing he lacks that you say the modern game requires is length. He’s very quick and can play many positions.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Elaborate that on the basis of the 18 minutes played by Zion in NBA so far, please

If you're basing your judgment of Zion on 18 minutes in the NBA, i can understand questioning my assessment. I have watched more of him than the 18 minutes he's played in the NBA though, so that's what my assertion is based on. If you want specific examples, there are plenty of clips of him playing at Duke online.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
He's already looking like the best player in the NBA. If he stays healthy, he's the GOAT.
lol wut?

on a serious note, he HAS GOT TO lose at least 20 pounds. He is carrying wayyy too much weight on those knees. And hes already got knock knees so I personally think he will battle knee injuries all his career but he can greatly help himself if he gets down to 260 or less.

He has a football player's build where he's just really wide and muscular under the baby fat. I don't know that he has 20 pounds to lose any more than, say, prime J.J. Watt had 20 pounds to lose.

He's not already the best player in the NBA, but if he stays healthy there's going to be a heckuva battle for the best player in the league status between him, Luka, and Giannis in future seasons.

Oh he definitely can suck weight to drop 20 pounds. Beyond can. No vascularity on his arms..dude is totally carrying around a coat of fat that can come off.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

If you're basing your judgment of Zion on 18 minutes in the NBA, i can understand questioning my assessment. I have watched more of him than the 18 minutes he's played in the NBA though, so that's what my assertion is based on. If you want specific examples, there are plenty of clips of him playing at Duke online.

I'm not really into NCAA, but I'm pretty sure that you can find a lot of clips of Randle when he was at Kentucky as well.
But the NBA is a different beast

And maybe if you used derozan as example...
But swaggy p? C'mon man
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I'm not really into NCAA, but I'm pretty sure that you can find a lot of clips of Randle when he was at Kentucky as well.

But swaggy p? C'mon man

Sure, you can find clips that will show you that college Randle was no comparison to college Zion either. Kentucky Randle PER: 24, Duke Zion PER: 40.

There are plenty of players that had very little trouble adjusting to the NBA (after college or high-school), and Zion is just another one. The fact that he's getting doubled early and frequently on the catch by the Spurs in his first game back from an extended recovery/rehab from injury is indicative of the threat he is on the court from day 1.

As the season progresses, the gap between Zion and Randle will only widen since Randle isn't getting better anymore at his age whereas Zion is 19.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

But swaggy p? C'mon man

I liked Randle a lot in college but he was nowhere near as good as Zion. Randle might be close in strength and may be a better ball handler but I can’t think of any other aspect where he even compared to what Zion did last year.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
cencio_999 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

But swaggy p? C'mon man

I liked Randle a lot in college but he was nowhere near as good as Zion. Randle might be close in strength and may be a better ball handler but I can’t think of any other aspect where he even compared to what Zion did last year.

Randle is absolutely not a better ball handler, nor does he have the footwork or vision to compliment it that Zion has.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject:

I've been watching Zion since he was inserted into the lineup. He's destined to be a super star. My angst is his weight. I'd like to see him lose some without losing strength. He gets up high. That weight coming down will have an effect on his knees in time.

Much depends on Alvin Gentry and the conditioning coach. So far Gentry has been managing his minutes great. Zion is very coach-able. You can tell he doesn't like to come out but is accepting Gentry's load management and seemingly going along.

Gentry wants Zion in it for the long run. It's not beyond the realm of possibility the Pels will make the playoffs this season.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Zion is like two tiers a better prospect than Randle out of college.

The guard skills should be obvious.
The footwork should be obvious.
The athleticism, is obvious.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, kind of shocked people in here really thought Randle was anywhere remotely close talent wise?

Most of his biggest strengths in college all were things that could translate to the NBA day 1.

From the get go my only concern like most was his health (especially long term) and it's still a massive concern but outside of that there is no doubt he has all time great potential kind of rare talent and is still pretty damn young which is scary. That Pels team could be a problem for awhile if they handle the cap space right and stay healthy.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Zion is like two tiers a better prospect than Randle out of college.

The guard skills should be obvious.
The footwork should be obvious.
The athleticism, is obvious.
The ability to finish, obvious. The decision making, obvious. The use of his body in rebounding, obvious (this might effectively be the same as the footwork one, just on defense). The everything, obvious. Julius Randle has always been a hard worker and will maximize his abilities most likely. Just a couple tiers below, as you said, below Zion's.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Also obvious is Zion is seriously under sized in term of height
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject:

Alvin Gentry needs to go.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Also obvious is Zion is seriously under sized in term of height

And it doesn't matter. Why? He's got the motor.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject:

Just saw some highlights of him v. Portland, specifically going into Whiteside. Unbelievable. Guy's upper body strength with his speed and everything, I don't know what the league can do with him. The look of resignation. Too much to handle.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Zion gonna look like LeBron once he got lean
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: