OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2677, 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Old argument but still hasn't changed IMO. Randle should have been a higher priority by the FO. Multi skilled developing 23 year old that potentially could learn how to be that player he believes himself to be playing beside James for the next 3-4 years.

Maybe (and I wanted him to be a part of the long term future). But we are replacing him with LBJ and will have a max slot for 2019. All's not lost. And he may be changing teams if he plays well for the Pels, so he may be a 1 year rental (and still has to beat out Mirotic for the starting spot IMO).

sums up my thoughts perfectly...

Jules clearly wants more than 9m/year (he was willing to take 12m/year last summer). So it would make a 2019 max spot a bit tricky if he got something like 12-14m/year.

Got to work on that jumper and that right hand if he wants anything close to that.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

Would have loved to give Jules Randle Dengs contract.
Randle was the only true big loss.
He is young and has a upside. And his shooting was slowly coming around. Randles rebounding and defense was good.

Lopez was not that much of a loss, but he could shoot. And he would have been a bargain.
That 18M to Deng has tied up the Lakers in more ways than one.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
Old argument but still hasn't changed IMO. Randle should have been a higher priority by the FO. Multi skilled developing 23 year old that potentially could learn how to be that player he believes himself to be playing beside James for the next 3-4 years.

Maybe (and I wanted him to be a part of the long term future). But we are replacing him with LBJ and will have a max slot for 2019. All's not lost. And he may be changing teams if he plays well for the Pels, so he may be a 1 year rental (and still has to beat out Mirotic for the starting spot IMO).

Simply not a fan of how this played out. I did not view it as "replacing Randle with James". I can see them playing together. Or Randle getting mpg as James is on the bench.

I would have preferred the Lakers establish some continuity and player chemistry. On paper I like this roster. We will have to see how that translates to the court. I would have preferred less focus on one year deals and "next summer" and more on this team, this year. JMO but Randle should have been more of a priority.

And I am not looking at this season as lost. Actually becoming much more optimistic then I ever expected. FO just needs to remain patient and reluctant to the temptations of the next big move until next summer. Then the argument over free agents and roster turnover can begin again.

We have Lonzo, BI, Kuz, Hart, Zubac returning. That's a lot of continuity with the young core. LBJ will be literally replacing Jules' spot at PF and small ball center.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

Basically the Lakers chose max 2019 cap space over keeping Randle long term.

As long as Lakers front office can fill that max 2019 with a star player then it was worth losing Randle. But if the front office misses out on any 2019 star, then it retrospect it would not be considered a good move.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Simply not a fan of how this played out. I did not view it as "replacing Randle with James". I can see them playing together. Or Randle getting mpg as James is on the bench.

I would have preferred the Lakers establish some continuity and player chemistry. On paper I like this roster. We will have to see how that translates to the court. I would have preferred less focus on one year deals and "next summer" and more on this team, this year. JMO but Randle should have been more of a priority.

And I am not looking at this season as lost. Actually becoming much more optimistic then I ever expected. FO just needs to remain patient and reluctant to the temptations of the next big move until next summer. Then the argument over free agents and roster turnover can begin again.

We have Lonzo, BI, Kuz, Hart, Zubac returning. That's a lot of continuity with the young core. LBJ will be literally replacing Jules' spot at PF and small ball center.

Forgot KCP.

Simply not a fan of the concept that James is going to play any significant mpg as small ball C. Even PF is a concern. Can James play it.. sure. But should he?

I would have preferred paying Randle $12-15M for the next 4 years to take on that wear and tear instead of paying James almost $40m accumulating that abuse over that time.

Personally I am hoping that the center trio play a lot more mpg then most are expecting. Perhaps Wagner can develop into that physical hard working PF/C that is a missing piece on this team. Not expecting it this year, but hoping.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Forgot KCP.

Simply not a fan of the concept that James is going to play any significant mpg as small ball C. Even PF is a concern. Can James play it.. sure. But should he?

I would have preferred paying Randle $12-15M for the next 4 years to take on that wear and tear instead of paying James almost $40m accumulating that abuse over that time.

Personally I am hoping that the center trio play a lot more mpg then most are expecting. Perhaps Wagner can develop into that physical hard working PF/C that is a missing piece on this team. Not expecting it this year, but hoping.

Not sure what can be done to make you happy.

First, we get the unquestioned #1 FA.

Second, you worried that said #1 FA would trade all the youngsters; that did not happen.

Third, Jules was 50% of the decision. He didn't want to stay here in the role the team envisioned him in. That's part of the business. How many lottery players recently have either been renounced/traded for nothing/faded to nothing? It happens more often than you think. I'm happy that Jules found a team that paid him the money he thought he should get, and a role that fit him better. But I'm not even sure the Pels will be a long term home for him either.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Forgot KCP.

The NBA clearly doesn’t value him as a player similarly to you. It’s not just the Lakers, it was the entire league. He only got 9 mil for 2 years, teams didn’t want him that badly.

And when you consider who his agent is, he wasn’t going to be willing to sign with the Lakers for a fair price comparable to his market value.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Forgot KCP.

The NBA clearly doesn’t value him as a player similarly to you. It’s not just the Lakers, it was the entire league. He only got 9 mil for 2 years, teams didn’t want him that badly.

And when you consider who his agent is, he wasn’t going to be willing to sign with the Lakers for a fair price comparable to his market value.

He was restricted
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Forgot KCP.

He was restricted

Didn't teams know the Lakers wouldn't match multi years?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Car54 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Forgot KCP.

He was restricted

Didn't teams know the Lakers wouldn't match multi years?

That wasnt a given because he could have gotten matched then traded
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

Quote:
He was restricted

When he was renounced he became unrestricted. Hours later he had his Pels deal, meaning, he was talking to teams and had an exit strategy. Probably was the best offer out there at the time for him, which is essentially a 9m/year deal, 2nd year player option if he got hurt or didn't play well.
lakerz32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

As long as Lakers front office can fill that max 2019 with a star player then it was worth losing Randle. But if the front office misses out on any 2019 star, then it retrospect it would not be considered a good move.

yup

just to add to this, I think its possible that other gm's were asking more than what we presume to take on deng, or at least more than what the lakers were comfortable with.

pelinka mentioned that 'other teams aren't going to want to help us." which makes sense, although its a business, their are some personal emotions involved. due to lakers past success, no gm wants to be the one that helped create a laker superteam/dynasty.

another report from a rival executive suggested it would take at least hart and a first round pick to get rid of deng(mentioned our picks don't have much value because they are probably late picks). I think this was reported after randle was renounced

other gms/organizations are smart, they know the lakers cap situation, and they know what the lakers can try to do. if the lakers signed randle to a 9-12 million a year figure, that screams alarm bells to all the other gm's, that the lakers NEED to trade deng in order to create max cap space, so other gm's gain.a lot of leverage, and can squeeze the lakers as much as possible. maybe the price is now hart and two first round picks

tldr: the price of moving deng may have been more than the lakers were comfortable with
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Its a great move because it gives us the chance to get a star. The FO could have played it safe and signed him long term and we would never have a punchers chance of winning a championship. The FO was transparent in what they were/are trying to do. We all know going into this season that the construction of this team would not be finalized until next year. The FO was astute in not trading young developing assets to jumpstart this team for this year. The patience of the FO will hopefully pay big dividends next season.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Didn't intend for this to turn into another Randle thread. Just commented on a post suggesting the Lakers needed a physical PF/C like B. Bass.

I am still disappointed that they were not able to find a way to make it work with Randle, whatever the reasons or multiple motivations that influenced why it didn't.

I am adjusting to the path taken by the FO. And pleasantly surprised they have resisted the "need" to trade for another marquee player. Still see too many comments about the "need" this summer or by the trade deadline for my liking.

I am becoming more optimistic with this deep and interchangeable roster and the potential to be competitive with it. But it has some flaws too.

I will support the Lakers on just about any path they choose. I still have some skepticism on some aspects of the current one but I'll enjoy the ride.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Please let the rockets trade for JR Smith

What do they have to trade? Anderson?

Have not really followed...just saw this:

Quote:
Via @ZachLowe_NBA & @Herring_NBA Houston Rockets are looking to add a wing. Some names they mentioned were Bazemore, Carroll, JR Smith, Tyler Johnson

Rockets likely offering Ryan Anderson + 2019 first

If they can get Carroll for Anderson, the Rockets would have surprisingly an A+ offseason.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

we crying over spilled milk?

time to move on
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Didn't intend for this to turn into another Randle thread. Just commented on a post suggesting the Lakers needed a physical PF/C like B. Bass.

I am still disappointed that they were not able to find a way to make it work with Randle, whatever the reasons or multiple motivations that influenced why it didn't.

I am adjusting to the path taken by the FO. And pleasantly surprised they have resisted the "need" to trade for another marquee player. Still see too many comments about the "need" this summer or by the trade deadline for my liking.

I am becoming more optimistic with this deep and interchangeable roster and the potential to be competitive with it. But it has some flaws too.

I will support the Lakers on just about any path they choose. I still have some skepticism on some aspects of the current one but I'll enjoy the ride.

The Lakers will always be involved in trade talks regarding stars. And when they add a player of LeBrons caliber, those talks will only increase. The Lakers have given us no reasons to believe they will ship off the young players for an unworthy return.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:

The Lakers will always be involved in trade talks regarding stars. And when they add a player of LeBrons caliber, those talks will only increase. The Lakers have given us no reasons to believe they will ship off the young players for an unworthy return.

So far, so good IMO.

Just want to point out that one man's unworthy return may very well be another man's dream trade.

Who knows how much of the chatter to trade for a marquee player will influence the FO to do so. Just take a look at the thread discussing "are they wasting Lebron's prime?" or multiple NBA analyst's continued opinion that the Lakers need a 2nd all-star. Even the recent projections of the Lakers not making the playoffs.

Even if you disagree with the opinions, you have to accept that they have some level of influence. I like the current path. Not so convinced they remain on it by the beginning of the season or the trade deadline.
Julianlakers24
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject:

Heat making whiteside , dion & tyler tradeable. Anyone willing to trade for whiteside?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject:

Julianlakers24 wrote:
Heat making whiteside , dion & tyler tradeable. Anyone willing to trade for whiteside?

Nope
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Guard Malik Newman has agreed to a two-way contact with the Heat, Michael Scotto of The Athletic tweets.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject:

Julianlakers24 wrote:

Depends on the trade and where the FO thinks his health and head is at.

A couple years ago Whiteside was highly desired around here as a FA target. I haven’t followed the Heat close enough to know why he has become undesirable. Looks like injuries and some unclear attitude issues with Spoelstra. When healthy he put up solid numbers. More of a defensive presence and rebounder then offensive threat.

What am I missing?

If the Lakers could get him for Deng and Zubac or Wagner for instance. Would that change anyone’s mind?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

Julianlakers24 wrote:

A couple years ago Whiteside was highly desired around here as a FA target. I haven’t followed the Heat close enough to know why he has become undesirable. Looks like injuries and some unclear attitude issues with Spoelstra. When healthy he put up solid numbers. More of a defensive presence and rebounder then offensive threat.

What am I missing?

If the Lakers could get him for Deng and Zubac or Wagner for instance. Would that change anyone’s mind?

Hassan is a dinosaur. Waste of cap space. No thanks.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Julianlakers24 wrote:

What am I missing?

Hassan is a dinosaur. Waste of cap space. No thanks.

Can you explain. “Dinosaur” because is slow running the floor and rotations? Or can’t shoot the 3pt and spread the floor?

EDIT- No need to respond. Just went back to some previous threads on Whiteside. I get it now.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject:

The worst part of his game his inability and unwillingness to defend on switches and the perimeter.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2677, 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2678 of 2680
Jump to: