Let's all Laugh at the Clippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject:

$6 tickets on stubhub
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
$6 tickets on stubhub

With the players on the roster they might as well give away tickets.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Man, it's really funny to watch them get their ass beat. All these years they beat us when we were rebuilding, it's going to be awesome to start pushing them around.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Man, it's really funny to watch them get their ass beat. All these years they beat us when we were rebuilding, it's going to be awesome to start pushing them around.

You know what they say about counting your chickens
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
STiG909 wrote:
$6 tickets on stubhub

They were doing Groupon deals in recent seasons even when they had CP3, Blake, DeAndre and J.J. so not even the least bit surprised!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
STiG909 wrote:
$6 tickets on stubhub

They were doing Groupon deals in recent seasons even when they had CP3, Blake, DeAndre and J.J. so not even the least bit surprised!

They looked great on paper but come playoff time they were no better than the Elton Brand Clippers or the Nick Van Exel/Eddie Jones Laker teams of the 90's before Shaq.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
$6 tickets on stubhub

And it's expensive.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
STiG909 wrote:
$6 tickets on stubhub

And it's expensive.

Definitely not $6 when you count in parking and concessions. They will probably have to come up with some incentives to get more casual fans to waste 3 hours of time to watch a terrible team play.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Actually our team beat them down for a much longer period of time if you go back to the 80’s. What happened the last few years felt strange; we were all used to it being the other way with them getting beaten down. People didn’t really talk about the Clippers before the CP3 trade. They were consistently the worst team in LA and we were all used to it, and focused on more important things like winning championships.

I don’t remember Lakers fans caring about Lakers vs. Clippers until the league stole CP3 and helped him land with the other LA team.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject:

bum2 wrote:
Can't laugh. They weren't going anywhere and they were proactive in getting something for Blake ( who they could have lost for nothing last summer ) and CP, the same.

If they can get decent things for Jordan and Williams, then I'd be strangely optimistic, if I was a Clipper fan.

Put Jerry West in a room with free agents and maybe good things happen, again.

If you're a FA superstar and you're meeting with Jerry West, what gives you the faith that they will quickly build a team around you that is good enough to beat GSW and win a world championship? They'll need 2 guys of that caliber to sign.

With that org's track record, and with the fact that West is like 80 years old and may not want to do this that much longer, what will make them a super attractive FA destination? At the very least, Doc Rivers needs to go. He is a massively overrated coach.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
bum2 wrote:
Can't laugh. They weren't going anywhere and they were proactive in getting something for Blake ( who they could have lost for nothing last summer ) and CP, the same.

If they can get decent things for Jordan and Williams, then I'd be strangely optimistic, if I was a Clipper fan.

If you're a FA superstar and you're meeting with Jerry West, what gives you the faith that they will quickly build a team around you that is good enough to beat GSW and win a world championship? They'll need 2 guys of that caliber to sign.

With that org's track record, and with the fact that West is like 80 years old and may not want to do this that much longer, what will make them a super attractive FA destination? At the very least, Doc Rivers needs to go. He is a massively overrated coach.

This Clipper organization’s track record is much more solid than this Laker organization’s track record. Sterling and Dr. Buss are gone.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
bum2 wrote:

This Clipper organization’s track record is much more solid than this Laker organization’s track record. Sterling and Dr. Buss are gone.

Not sure how you can objectively quantify that statement either way since both FO's are barely/less than a year on the job.

All that the current Clippers regime of Frank/West have done is trade CP3 and Blake, trade Crawford for a walking cast (Gallinari) and let J.J. walk. While they did get something for CP3 who was determined to leave, those players they received are marginal talents. Blake wasn't going to carry them anywhere on his own, but they traded him for pennies on the dollar.

The real issue is that Doc Rivers is still there, and it does not matter if he's no longer involved in the Ops. He's clearly shown his penchant for nepotism and preferential treatment for his son and that kind of behavior will alienate your team, especially the star players. The dude literally had one foot out the door of the league after his poor play in NO and suddenly he comes to daddy's team and later signs a 3 year, $30M+ contract.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
bum2 wrote:

The Clippers traded away CP3 and Blake Griffin in less than a year.

I don't think so.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
bum2 wrote:

I don't think so.

The funniest thing is that CP3 and Blake locked up Jordan so he wouldn’t sign with Dallas. Now both are gone and it's just him left with freaking Austin Rivers.
Also Marcellus Wiley! I hate that dude "lob city this lob city that" hahahahaha
so what's their new Name?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:

The funniest thing is that CP3 and Blake locked up Jordan so he wouldn’t sign with Dallas. Now both are gone and it's just him left with freaking Austin Rivers.

Sob City?

For Doc it's soon to be Out of a Job City.

noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

Sob City?

For Doc it's soon to be Out of a Job City.

Haha "sob city" love it
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Pistons are 3-0 since getting Griffin...!

LOLATC

(Laughing Out Loud At The Clippers)

Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
bum2 wrote:

I don't think so.

I agree. We'll see what happens, but to me all they've done is go from a good team that wouldn't win a championship to a bad team that won't win a championship. That's not improvement. They freed up cap space by trading Blake, but are they going to get anyone better than Blake with that money? I doubt it. I mean, he's the kind of player most teams are hoping to sign when they have room. We've all seen plenty of teams with cap space over the last several years end up throwing big contracts at unworthy players. The top FAs are going to places where they're basically guaranteed to win.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

Clips agree to a 3 year extension with Lou Williams (3rd year team option). Very interesting considering he was pretty much guaranteed to be traded after Griffin was traded.

Unless this is some shifty work to trade him to a team that wants him more than a 4 or 5 month rental?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Pistons are 3-0 since getting Griffin...!

LOLATC

(Laughing Out Loud At The Clippers)

Watching Drummond is like watching DeAndre Jordan but he actually works on his game.

Drummond's passing helps SO much.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

So the Clippers went from Paul/Griffin/Jordan to... Lou Williams
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I read some comments on Clipperstopbuzz (or whatever that site is called) and the fans didn’t seem that upset about Blake being traded. They were more optimistic than I expected.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
bum2 wrote:

I don't think so.

I agree. We'll see what happens, but to me all they've done is go from a good team that wouldn't win a championship to a bad team that won't win a championship. That's not improvement. They freed up cap space by trading Blake, but are they going to get anyone better than Blake with that money? I doubt it. I mean, he's the kind of player most teams are hoping to sign when they have room. We've all seen plenty of teams with cap space over the last several years end up throwing big contracts at unworthy players. The top FAs are going to places where they're basically guaranteed to win.

They did fine without Blake and he didn’t fit that well with the team. So now they got some good players in a deal with him and they did get a 1st round pick.

Very few teams are going to have a shot at beating the Warriors anyway. If they can get any more picks and make it easier to rebuild it makes sense. Blake isn’t leading a team to a title, so keeping him for 5 years trying to win is wasting 5 years. He had his chances to win with CP3 and came up short. The sooner they start over the better.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
bum2 wrote:

I don't think so.

He's gotta maintain that transparent, tired narrative.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Bol wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
bum2 wrote:

I don't think so.

They did fine without Blake and he didn’t fit that well with the team. So now they got some good players in a deal with him and they did get a 1st round pick.

Very few teams are going to have a shot at beating the Warriors anyway. If they can get any more picks and make it easier to rebuild it makes sense. Blake isn’t leading a team to a title, so keeping him for 5 years trying to win is wasting 5 years. He had his chances to win with CP3 and came up short. The sooner they start over the better.

I understand the logic, but I feel like it ignores the reality of how unlikely it is to actually build a championship team. As an L.A. native and a basketball fan since the 80's, I've witnessed a lot of the Clippers' bleak history. They basically sucked for 30 years trying to get a legit star, and Blake was by far the best player and biggest star they ever drafted. Getting him meant they weren't a joke anymore, so a player like CP3 was willing to go there. Throwing that away just means going right back to being a team wandering around in the wilderness looking for a star, searching for an identity. Could they get lucky and draft the next LeBron? Sure, but the odds are extremely low. Being a solid playoff team is pretty good, especially for a team with the history of the Clippers. And the most likely ceiling for their rebuilding is that they will just become a playoff team again. Getting the players to win a title takes a ton of luck.

Sometimes if you have it good, I think it's better just to enjoy it while it lasts rather than starting over because you think you could have it even better.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16
Jump to: