LAKERS -at- JAZZ - 11/24 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DB, what do you think of mind messing with Sloan by putting say Mo Evans on Okur?

It's a gimmick. Gimmick's don't usually last. I'm afraid it would probably give them more of an inside presence and backfire a bit if you tried to do it for any length of time. If you are talking a possession or two, maybe. The Jazz offense puts you in the position of making a decision to leave your man and possibly switch permanently within the set. If you go to a large lineup and switch on everything, you may have some better success. So, you could very well have Mo guard the 1, if you want and then switch on bigs when all the screens come. He's guarded Earl Watson and other points this season reasonably well. Evans is not quite on the same page as everyone else on the offensive end, so you would take a little hit there. The unit the Lakers closed with were their starters from the playoffs last year, which executes better.

I'd really love to get a solid 2-way player who can play the 1-2-3 in the Tri. A guy like Pietrus who could take Mo, Sasha and Smush's type of minutes.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

DB i rarely read the LA Times because i hate newspapers and i hate their columnists but i'm home for thanksgiving and decided to read the report on the game last night.

i can say definitively that your analysis and recap is so far superior to theirs its not even funny. keep up the excellent work.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DB i rarely read the LA Times because i hate newspapers and i hate their columnists but i'm home for thanksgiving and decided to read the report on the game last night.

i can say definitively that your analysis and recap is so far superior to theirs its not even funny. keep up the excellent work.

Exactly my feeling as well.

If the newspapers were actually interested in in-depth reporting, this is the kind of stuff that would be in print.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
ocho wrote:

Exactly my feeling as well.

If the newspapers were actually interested in in-depth reporting, this is the kind of stuff that would be in print.

And to think those pompous print and radio guys have the nerve to simply dismiss any kind of internet information.

They could learn quite alot if they would learn to lurk. Their loss but our gain. Great job, DB.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
P&G went into a zone because they couldn't stop penetration in the paint.
- It would have been nice to also go big, if they were going to the zone for a stretch...but I think they were trying to surprise the Jazz. The problem is you give up offensive boards in a zone...especially to a good rebounding team. That's pretty much what happened. Of course, they were giving up offensive boards anyway...
Since they stayed in a zone for a lengthy amount of time, it appeared that it was a strategy used out of need - inability to defend, tiredness of players such as Kobe, etc. Is there such as thing as "Defensive Box & 1?" In this case, everybody would be playing a zone - but there would be one guy focused entirely on blocking out players such as Boozer? If this is true, maybe they could have placed somebody like Turiaff on Boozer

Now if they could have Smush do something - anything
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Uh, was Kobe really tired at the end of the game - as stated by Phil?
You know, I did forget something. There was a play in the fourth where Kobe was bringing the ball over to one side of the court where he would normally go to work off a screen and he pulled up so that he could let someone else go to work. And I remember thinking to myself at the time that he seemed tired. This was, of course, before Phil made those comments. So, I guess that I did see what looked to be some fatigue out there that didn't seem normal. Combine that with the short FTs and jumpers and Phil is probably spot on.

He was not in attack-mode by any stretch of the imagination. Some of it was probably game plan, some was probably Kobe being tired and not having that extra gear in his game to take AK like he has in the past.
If only they had somebody else capable of successfully bringing up the ball (Smush - where are you?!?!?! - can't shoot, can't defend, can't bring up the ball, etc.) that would not force Kobe to unnecessary expend energy and allowing him to set up either in the high-post to "slash" in the paint or in the low block. Maybe next time they can have Luke bring up the ball.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
I have slightly different take on Lamar The Rebounder. He is an excellent rebounding SF. Playing him at PF against the West, whether I like it or not, is playing him out of position (not counting the Suns or Seattle).
He's a better rebounder against SFs, of course. But he has still put up large board numbers against PFs whenever he's played that spot.
I agree if we are trying to match-up with the other players. However, if we can maximize LO's skills in constant attack/aggressive mode to force others to match-up with us - he will cause multiple problems for the others that includes Duncan, Rasheed, KG, Boozer, etc.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject:

DB, you are probably right. Gimmick defenses usually do not cut it over the long haul in the big league.

But I like the idea of switching up to zone randomly every 5th or 6th possession, mixed in with an occassional gimmick defense and sudden full court press.

Don't be so predictable Jackson, dammit!
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:

DB, thanks as always. I was bummed that we lost the game. I thought that we played hard and gave a good effort. I thought that sequence in the last two minutes where we couldn't secure a rebound was huge. Also, with us down one and about a minute and a half left, LO had a three go in and out. Smush had a shot and decided to pass it to LO who had to hoist up a quick shot because the shot clock was about to expire. I'm also getting upset with our defense on screen/roll. Either Smush needs to go over the screen or our bigs need to show more. It's not that complicated. I learned that in high school as well as when I played in college. Derron Williams has shown that he can hit big shots in crunch time and that he is not afraid to do so. A minute left and Smush decides to go under a screen again. It cost us.
stopthiZ8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I couldn't stand the lack of rebounding and it hurts when you come so close and just give it away at the last min. but great recap as always.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

But I like the idea of switching up to zone randomly every 5th or 6th possession, mixed in with an occassional gimmick defense and sudden full court press.

Don't be so predictable Jackson, dammit!

I definitely agree with throwing curves and change ups.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject:

The Warriors killed Jazz tonight. 68 pts for them so far. Defense anyone?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
But I like the idea of switching up to zone randomly every 5th or 6th possession, mixed in with an occassional gimmick defense and sudden full court press.Don't be so predictable Jackson, dammit!
I definitely agree with throwing curves and change ups.
Maybe Phil subscribes to the Vince Lombardi motto - Do What You Do Best All the Time (paraphrased).

If the Lakers would have had somebody put a hand in Williams' face, instead of going underneath the screens that allowed him clean and undefended looks, maybe who would have missed one more shot.

If the Lakers would have have had somebody to bring up the ball so that Kobe didn't have to, who knows what Kobe would have done?

Hopefully, we will see Phil's answer as the season continues
TheProdigy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Well, I don't like the zone because it relies too much on the other team rushing its decisions. In truth, Williams could have made those shots when he was zoned, it's just that he was unprepared for it, as opposed to the fact that we contested him well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: