Should Lakers Trade Ingram/Ball For 3rd Star Next Summer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

I don't think its even possible due to salary cap restrictions.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

No! Need to keep some promising youngsters. I think Zo and BI are our tier 1 players going forward...Jules, LNJ and Zu are the next tier, but there is plenty of room to grow. I like our new crop of rooks too. They could fill out any trades. No #1 next year and an assumed growth in the next few years has us without any high draft picks. Got to keep the diamonds!
Sharoon Francis
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject:

After having a gander at 538's CARMELO WARP rating on Ingram:

I do think that in order to dump Deng's contract, Lakers should just go ahead and package Ingram & Randle in a trade for Paul George.

I would also be willing to trade Lonzo by himself for Giannis straight up, and throw in Ingram and Randle if they're willing to accept Deng's contract.

The reason I'm willing to shuttle Randle as a trade sweetener is because I would want guys with longer wingspan and from what I've read around here on LG the consensus is that Randle is below average on wingspan?

In either case, we end up with Giannis or George, while dumping Deng. Not a bad day's work, I'd say.

Oh, and also, if Bulls really are in tank mode now, we could also try dumping Deng for LaVine's knees. Worth a shot, in my opinion.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

The entire premise is based on adding PG13 in the heart of his prime and then a 34 year old LeBron who will be evolving his game to account for decreased athleticism. So then, you're going to potentially trade away even more blue chip youth to build on THAT? Never say never. Kareem was title competitive until he was 39 or 40. But, we would have to be netting someone super skilled the likes of an Anthony Davis, KAT, Kawhi, Giannis or maybe Klay to really consider it at that point. Not to mention that at least 2 of these 3 stars would have to pull another Miami by taking less money to allow this to work under the CBA - and all of this assumes that you're willing to trade away your best youth who's ceiling is likely still very much undefined.

Overall, the FO doesn't have to worry about this type of thing until they've had another season or two of Ingram's development as well as a season of watching Lonzo adapt to the NBA. The point being, even though most hold BI as sacred, it's almost entirely predicated on potential instead of actual production. Same with Lonzo as far as elevating his game to the next level. But, Brandon has the unique challenge of growing into his adult physicality before he'll really know what his limitations are or aren't. At some point, you have to allow your young assets to fully develop. Otherwise, you don't really know what you're trading away. (Yes - I do realize that Lonzo and some other young Lakers have to finish growing into their bodies as well - but, it's a much more pivotal factor for Ingram's ceiling than it is for most other players)

Given the team's salary situation, I'd say it's much more likely that Magic and Rob decide to burn another key young asset in order to shed Deng's contract. The Stretch provision would hamper the team's ability to add strong caliber rotation players for several years to come. So, finding a way to trade Luol is definitely going to be option A. If that comes to pass, I hope it's not Ingram being sent out with Deng. But, there are always 2 sides to trades. If you're the other team - why even contemplate eating Deng's contract for anything less than BI or Lonzo? I just don't see that happening any other way.

So, to answer the OP, I think it's more likely that one of those players gets sent out in a Deng deal just to create the cap space as opposed to somehow already having the cap space available and then choosing to ship one of them out for another established star.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject:

The correct answer to the original posters question can be summed up with three letters:

N-F-W...!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: