PISTONS -at- LAKERS - 11/10 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
** The Pistons are still a very good team (though recently having problems) that plays very good defense that is just a notch below last season. As a result, they are able to exert high-level pressure that the team has not seen. Question is, is this a legimate excuse that the Lakers didn't appear to give 100% effort

** The Lakers are a very young team - age-wise, along with being together. Hopefully this was an opportunity to observe which players can perform during crunch time. Obviously this doesn't include Mr. Smush Parker. What did the Lakers need to have learn to continue their process of growing into a playoff-bound team?

** How would one deal with this being pre-season for Kobe without losing the progress the other players were having w/o Kobe? With seeing his knee buckle and numerous times showing definitive signs that he still having problems with his knee - what does the team need to do to survive?

** Would having Kwame providing strong resistence to Rasheed effectiveness in the paint changed the course of this game?
Kwame is a must (with Luke coming off the bench) for games featuring good post up opposition. Otherwise it creates a ripple-down effect with Lamar not being able to throw his weight against Rasheed, KG, Zack, TD, etc. while Bynum can't be a prime defender against these guys. This lineup can and should work against "smaller" teams though like Phoenix, Seattle, etc. Don't even try it against the Clippers.

As much as I like Farmar, against Billups Evans should have started in place of Smush. I appreciate Kobe taking this assignment but he is not ready on defense but he is not ready to do so. Besides, offensively Mo is a slasher that would have definitely helped against the zone. With Mo on him, it would be impossible for Billups to back him down in the post. In this case he usually is playing pick and pop with Rasheed and/or Prince. Switch would cure that.
Re: Kwame - interesting points. We would suffer a bit when Sheed goes outside - however, Lakers would win the battles in the paint. With Kwame, LO would be able to guard Nzar that provide him more freedom while expending less energy on defense that will (hopefully) help his game.

Re: Evans
Evans is an average ball-handler that has shown that he has problems against top guards (i.e. Billips/Hunter) while providing more defensive pressure. The lineup of Evans/Kobe/Luke/LO/Bynum would have (IMO) a problem to consistently initiate the offense - though Kobe/LO/Luke can do it at times. However, this extra expendigure of energy could cause them more problems (i.e. time) because Luke/Kobe/LO are seemingly more effective setting up in the paint
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:

I love your stuff DB, but not with you on Walton in this one.

When you score 11 and your guy gets 31, it isn't good.

Sure, not all 31 were on Luke, but the majority when the game was still in doubt were.

Newsflash sportsfans, Prince does not play like that against ANY other team.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
CorkyTomjanovich wrote:

<snipped>

Could Kobe have scored 30-40 last night and been aggressive the entire game? Probably. Did Phil want this? Not a chance.

As Phil stated after the Blazers game, he is cautious about Kobe trying to do too much too soon.

The game plan last night was for Kobe to take it easy and let the other players get going.

Did the "game plan" also include Kobe making like a statue on defense all night?

A very poor performance.

Hey, there's no need to flame his post. He actually has a point unlike your garbage post.

^^ Farmar

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject:

lakers4peat wrote:
3) When does this team finally stop running? And who came up with the idea of fastbreaking anyway? They average around 20 turnovers, many of them in transition. Ballhandling really isn't a strenght of this team, IMHO. So stop it already.

We've got some guys who are very good at pushing the ball out. Lamar, Luke and Kobe and call run the break very well. Not many teams have a 4 who can grab the board and ignite the break off the dribble. Smush is below average. Farmar is good on the break. You've got guys who can run it fine. That's not where most of the turnovers are coming from anyway.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

** How would one deal with this being pre-season for Kobe without losing the progress the other players were having w/o Kobe? With seeing his knee buckle and numerous times showing definitive signs that he still having problems with his knee - what does the team need to do to survive?

Other guys have to pick it up. And Kobe can't play 3 quarters like that. If that was all he could give, they probably shouldn't have him out there that much. I think he could do more, as shown by his previous game and the fourth quarter last night. But, I think he was trying to let the other guys do the heavy lifting. No one bothered to step up.

Quote:

** Would having Kwame providing strong resistence to Rasheed effectiveness in the paint changed the course of this game?

It would have helped a lot...the last two games. Just the fact that you don't have to save LO for the PF spot and could move him down to SF or run as much Cook at the C. That just gives us more options to match up, in addition to what Kwame brings.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
There is no excuse for Bynum not being a third option on this team. They need him taking 8-10 shots out there in about 25 minutes. That is what will elevate the team to the next level. Now they may feel he's not ready to do that, but when he actually has to create his own shot - his FG% is stil pretty damn good and while they are TO's it's not like other players on the team (Cough Kobe Cough Lamar) aren't dominating in that area either.

Yeah, they need to get him the ball more and work off him. No standing around, no half-ass cuts. And he needs to keep fighting for position as much as possible. Keep running up the floor, keep sealing, keep battling...even if he doesn't get the ball. Let the coaches rip the team in film session for not getting him the rock when he has good position, don't give them an excuse.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I love your stuff DB, but not with you on Walton in this one.

When you score 11 and your guy gets 31, it isn't good.

Sure, not all 31 were on Luke, but the majority when the game was still in doubt were.

Newsflash sportsfans, Prince does not play like that against ANY other team.

Of course, he doesn't. That was a career high. I personally felt he was in the zone for a stretch there. He was swishing everything from the perimeter. I think Lamar might have done a better job on him, but it wouldn't surprise me if he would have still hit those same shots with how he was going.

I wouldn't expect you, Lanny, of all people to see it that way with Luke anyway.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Other guys have to pick it up. And Kobe can't play 3 quarters like that. If that was all he could give, they probably shouldn't have him out there that much. I think he could do more, as shown by his previous game and the fourth quarter last night. But, I think he was trying to let the other guys do the heavy lifting. No one bothered to step up.
Quote:

It would have helped a lot...the last two games. Just the fact that you don't have to save LO for the PF spot and could move him down to SF or run as much Cook at the C. That just gives us more options to match up, in addition to what Kwame brings.
You've posed some good assessment and questions.
1) Many observers/players have noted that Kobe is not close to doing what he has done in the past. What is better, play Kobe for 35+ minutes to get him into shape or in spurts to allow him the opportunity to play 100% without pacing himself. Hmm - I guess that's why Phil gets paid the BIG MONEY - to make these decisions.
2) As you have stated, it seem too much to ask LO to play against these "brusing" PFs because he can't seem to have the will to force the other players to react to him - as oppose to vice versa. When Smush is at PG - it forces LO to play PF AND bring up the ball!?!?!?! If only Smush can either effectively bring up the ball, shoot the ball, pass the ball or defend a little bit - this would free up LO?!?!?!
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
lakers4peat wrote:
3) When does this team finally stop running? And who came up with the idea of fastbreaking anyway? They average around 20 turnovers, many of them in transition. Ballhandling really isn't a strenght of this team, IMHO. So stop it already.

We've got some guys who are very good at pushing the ball out. Lamar, Luke and Kobe and call run the break very well. Not many teams have a 4 who can grab the board and ignite the break off the dribble. Smush is below average. Farmar is good on the break. You've got guys who can run it fine. That's not where most of the turnovers are coming from anyway.

Very true. Most of the turnovers are are coming on lazy passes, bad angled passes, telegraphed passes, and needlessly difficult passes: all in the halfcourt.

Phil did the exact opposite of what he should've done, subbing Cook and Radman for perimeter offense. It was clear from the early minutes that the Lakers were getting beat up under the basket and on the boards, and that Lamar wouldn't be able to hold his own defensively down low again. If there was ever a night to put Bynum and Turiaf on the floor at the same time, Friday would've been it.

Oh yeah, and I would put my money on Famar to run the break before anyone else on this team.

Thanks, DB.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: