LAKERS -at- SONICS - 11/5 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
It looks to me like the Lakers cannot play against a zone.
Quote:
I thought the zone was plugging up the middle making the entry pass very difficult. Bynum was being doubled with guys sagging in front of him. At least that's what I remember seeing, I haven't gone back and checked it.
Blame that on POOR triangle spacing and ill-advised decision-making within the offense.

How do you beat zones in the triangle?
1. Get to your spots to set it up initially.
2. If a passing lane to the low block is denied, 1 man is open. Ball reverse it to that player.
3. Utilize the dive cut to draw defensive attention into the paint off-the-ball to open up lanes of dribble penetration.
4. Utilize the high post as a triple threat.
5. Flat out execute the offense. Spacing. Decision-making. Ball-reversal. Off-the-ball player movement. Don't sit there and dribble so that the defense has 1 clear easy focus.

Breaking down zones isn't about shooting 3pointers. It's absolutely about interior play from 15' and in. The trick is to draw defensive attention from 2 opposing players, within scoring position (subject to interpretation) to free up a teammate.
Agreed! Get the ball in the middle and cut while finding the seams. Simple, though not easy, to execute.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
It looks to me like the Lakers cannot play against a zone.
Quote:
I thought the zone was plugging up the middle making the entry pass very difficult. Bynum was being doubled with guys sagging in front of him. At least that's what I remember seeing, I haven't gone back and checked it.
Blame that on POOR triangle spacing and ill-advised decision-making within the offense.

How do you beat zones in the triangle?
1. Get to your spots to set it up initially.
2. If a passing lane to the low block is denied, 1 man is open. Ball reverse it to that player.
3. Utilize the dive cut to draw defensive attention into the paint off-the-ball to open up lanes of dribble penetration.
4. Utilize the high post as a triple threat.
5. Flat out execute the offense. Spacing. Decision-making. Ball-reversal. Off-the-ball player movement. Don't sit there and dribble so that the defense has 1 clear easy focus.

Breaking down zones isn't about shooting 3pointers. It's absolutely about interior play from 15' and in. The trick is to draw defensive attention from 2 opposing players, within scoring position (subject to interpretation) to free up a teammate.
Agreed! Get the ball in the middle and cut while finding the seams. Simple, though not easy, to execute.

...and one of the greatest mysteries is that Mo Evans was one guy that was doing it for us, in the first two games... Mo was slashing to the basket, and helping to breakdown the defense... What happened? Now, I see Mo, out in 3 point land, trying to get the 3 pointer!... Farmar, Kobe, Smush, and Sasha should also be able to penetrate, and breakdown the defense. I think the pressure just got to everybody, and they couldn't execute.
la45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
The Vlad/Cook lineup without Kobe or LO to start the second quarter tonight was a 11-0 run tonight for Seattle. They seized control of the game there and didn't look back, as you mention (as they did, too). But the Vlad/Cook bigman lineup in second quarter of the last game was killed 10-0. As soon as I saw that lineup to start the second quarter tonight I braced myself to be shelled. Sure enough

DB when I saw that run happen and Phil sit on his chair all smug, I had that feeling this would be one of the games that Phil was willing to lose in the name of improving the team.

What improves? Who the hell knows. Maybe he didn't like how they beat Seattle and wanted them to lose a game to actually get the point of how to execute the offense. Losses certainly make the ears bigger - that's Phil's own saying.

He gets paid 10 million to worry about that and we as fans get fits thanks to it

He gets a pass last year, because no one expected that team to win the championship(though with all the hoopla, one would have thought that he'd gotten past the first round or something), but not after this year. Quite frankly, I think an above average coach could make the WCF with this team. Winning the championship? Now that's a great coach.
expertla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Great job as usual DB.

Unfortunately the thread has gone kind of down hill after your standard awesome analysis.

By now we should all know that Phil coaches with the big picture in mind. It was no accident that the Lakers were playing their best basketball at the end of the season last year.

As someone else mentioned, we may as well get used to it. Right now, I think Phil is like a kid in a candy store. He has so many options with this team, he is going to play, tinker and experiment with every one of them.

I know it's nice to share the various expert coaching strategies that many on the board believe they possess. Kind of reminds me of all the part time GM's on the board who spent the past two years bashing Mitch. Only to know realize that maybe Mitch wasn't as stupid as they thought he was. But to quote Ronny Turiaf, "the Lakers know what they're doing. I trust them to make the right decisions". That's probably not an exact quote but you get the gist. The Lakers' and Phil's track record speaks for themselves.

But for all who want to spend the rest of the season second guessing and back seat coaching, by all means go ahead. But for me, I'm glad we are 3 and 1 after the first four games, and that Kobe is now back on the court and Vlad had is best shooting game of the season so far, and Farmar and Bynum are apart of the regular rotation, and Ronny looks great, and Kwame's almost ready to come back, and Lamar and Luke are playing great, and Sasha finally made a shot. To me, life is good.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

...and one of the greatest mysteries is that Mo Evans was one guy that was doing it for us, in the first two games... Mo was slashing to the basket, and helping to breakdown the defense... What happened? Now, I see Mo, out in 3 point land, trying to get the 3 pointer!... Farmar, Kobe, Smush, and Sasha should also be able to penetrate, and breakdown the defense. I think the pressure just got to everybody, and they couldn't execute.

He's the guy trying to keep the spacing honest. Kobe's back on the team and there has been far too much overdribbling by multiple Laker players.

It leaves Evans behind the arc just trying to keep the offense decent while other players are doing the shot creating, instead of Evans.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
He's the guy trying to keep the spacing honest. Kobe's back on the team and there has been far too much overdribbling by multiple Laker players.

I think it's clear now why Tex feels Kobe is a SF.

Start Farmar at PG. Have him in fill the playmaking role that Kobe is currently bringing to the Lakers. You'll see some mistakes but far better balance or distribution of the ball.

I also see your longtime point about this team needed a PG. Well, I still think that PG has to have certain elements - but Farmar has them. If we can get Bryant to move over to SF in the offense while not limiting the amount of shots he takes, this team can have a great offense this season IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject:

I think the major concern with Kobe is that he's slashing or trying to get to the middle to create for others which is good. However, in doing this everybody is standing around the perimeter waiting to hit the 3 pointers. Kobe's doing this out in the perimeter which gives the defense more time to react.
I rather have players create from the low posts while others move in the triangle.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject:

Kobe shooting less 3s is definitely better for our team.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
I think the major concern with Kobe is that he's slashing or trying to get to the middle to create for others which is good. However, in doing this everybody is standing around the perimeter waiting to hit the 3 pointers. Kobe's doing this out in the perimeter which gives the defense more time to react. I rather have players create from the low posts while others move in the triangle.
When Kobe is slashing, the other players should be going to the corners (ala Robert Horry), set up for rebounding (ala Turiaff) and/or to go to the open area for a mid-range shot since everybody will be converging on Kobe.

If it starts from the post, one still needs players that can slash (create on their own). One good example is when the ball went into Bynum, got passed out to the corner, passed around the horn with the threat of slashing then passing the ball to Bynum for a dunk - BEAUTIFUL SEQUENCE!
sbstud
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Lamar

Lamar needs more touches and needs to control the game. When Lamar is aggresive and goes to the hoop it is hard to stop him. Lamar needs to get going early. Kobe will get his shots. At least for now, since Kobe is coming back from surgery, Lamar should take over and Kobe should let the game come to him and not try to take over the game by himself. Anyone else feel this way? I thought that they could of won that game against Seattle if Lamar did his thing throughout the game.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject:

In a recent L.A. Times article, Phil stated that Kobe wasn't 100% and will feel his way into the offense - in other words, nobody is expecting him to take over games like he did last year.

LO always has the ball in his hand, therefore, he can dictate whatever tempo he wants
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lamar needs more touches and needs to control the game. When Lamar is aggresive and goes to the hoop it is hard to stop him. Lamar needs to get going early. Kobe will get his shots. At least for now, since Kobe is coming back from surgery, Lamar should take over and Kobe should let the game come to him and not try to take over the game by himself. Anyone else feel this way? I thought that they could of won that game against Seattle if Lamar did his thing throughout the game.
It's definitely possible they could have won...but a lot of that is on Lamar. He didn't bring the intensity and aggressiveness needed. He deferred too much and certainly it cost us.

We really did a poor job all around with our execution. Virtually only a handful of post touches. Passing up shots. Attacking too much off the dribble instead of running some basic Tri options. All the turnovers came back to bite us on the other end.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: