Drafts suck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Drafts suck

I remember getting all excited about the NFL draft a few months ago... "Ooh, ooh, who are the Raiders going to pick?" "Oooh, will Bush and Leinart be the No. 1 and No. 2 draft picks?" I was so excited. Then it was over, I was disappointed with the Raiders passing up Leinart at No. 7 and drafting, of all people, a guy from Texas.

I mention this because, with less than an hour remaining (and probably 2 and a half before the Lakers pick), chances are we'll all be disappointed. All the trades we wished the Lakers would make would come to pass. All the guys they wanted to pick would have been gone long before their turn at the podium.

The prognosticators will say, "Well, Mardy Collins is probably the only player who fits a Laker need that is still on the board."

Then David Stern will approach the podium, "With the 26th pick in the draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select Kevin Pittsnoogle."

Everyone will slam down their remotes and say, "Aw, F--- Kupchak." (As in FIRE Kupchak) People will try and log on to LG.net and will find that it had too many users. More anger. Then people, like myself, will try and remember what the chatroom site was. Then we'll kick ourselves for not printing out the page with the directions on it earlier.

Every one on ESPN.com will grade the Lakers a B. "Pittsnoogle is a safe pick for the Lakers. Someone who will step in and be able to contribute immediately."

Most of the fans on LG.net will be pretty upset. But there will be one or two fans defending the pick. They'll say that Pittsnoogle is a stud (just like Darius Miles, James White and Marcus Banks).

Pittsnoogle will come out holding a No 26 jersey, which will look weird with his name. That picture will be posted on the front page of LG.net, which will infuriate fans every time they log on.

That said, I've decided to skip watching the draft. I will instead check my cell phone at 8 pm Pacific time to see who the Lakers picked. Then I will enjoy the rest of Superman Returns.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

LOL!! That is awesome and true post.

If the Lakers take Pittsnogle, we as Lakers fans may truly want to get Kuphack canned.....no joke.

Go Lakers
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject:

See all these new posts about Farmar sucking? Tell me I'm not right about the fact that drafts suck! No one is ever happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject:

If nothing else your OP and your second post make ya look a bit like you
slant too much towards the hometown products

But I generally like Farmar, even if he wasn't my first choice - still was on
my short list and I'm glad we have him.

Especially glad we got Evans for a ridiculously cheap #51 draft pick.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
If nothing else your OP and your second post make ya look a bit like you
slant too much towards the hometown products

But I generally like Farmar, even if he wasn't my first choice - still was on
my short list and I'm glad we have him.

Especially glad we got Evans for a ridiculously cheap #51 draft pick.

true dat... but c'mon, shouldn't the Raiders have drafted Leinart?
ryuvienco
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

Leinart does not fit the Raider type of football. Look at what happened to Kerry collins. Everyone thought that he would be perfect, at least I did. But the Raider system needs a QB that could scramble, (i.e Gannon). Look at where he took us. If it wasn't for him getting concussions left and right, Raiders would have won two superbowls by now and it could have started in New England when Brady's throw was ruled incomplete instead of a fumble. Brooks is a good pick up, very similar to Lakers picking up Farmar. They are not the best option, but a good one for where both teams were at when they chose these players. The only way us Lakers fans would have been happy with this draft is if we somehow could have cracked the top 5 picks and the only way of doing that was bombing the 2005-2006 season which would have been a nightmare.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

ryuvienco wrote:
Leinart does not fit the Raider type of football. Look at what happened to Kerry collins. Everyone thought that he would be perfect, at least I did. But the Raider system needs a QB that could scramble, (i.e Gannon). Look at where he took us. If it wasn't for him getting concussions left and right, Raiders would have won two superbowls by now and it could have started in New England when Brady's throw was ruled incomplete instead of a fumble. Brooks is a good pick up, very similar to Lakers picking up Farmar. They are not the best option, but a good one for where both teams were at when they chose these players. The only way us Lakers fans would have been happy with this draft is if we somehow could have cracked the top 5 picks and the only way of doing that was bombing the 2005-2006 season which would have been a nightmare.

Leinart can move... He's actually a lot more mobile than people give him credit for.

That said, getting all pumped up for a draft usually leaves most fans sad in one way or another.
soccerballer16
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:

yeah drafts never turn out to be what there hyped up to be but if everything was meant to happen one way in sports then why would they play
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:

The Lakers wanted an athletic guard with high basketball intelligence and point skills. They got one. They like Farmar so much that the MLE could focus on an upgrade in shooting at forward. Things should go well if the pieces fit together as planned.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: