Lakers in the News 9/21/15 - 9/27/15: Which Lakers will develop into 'core players'?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 9/21/15 - 9/27/15: Which Lakers will develop into 'core players'?

** SPECIAL NOTE **

Ch*n has asked me to take over the news until further notice

Which Lakers will develop into 'core players'?
by Eric Pincus - latimes.com

Kobe Bryant has finally recovered from last season's shoulder injury. He and the Lakers will reunite for training camp on Sept. 28, with the hope of improving on last season's dismal 21-win performance.

In late August, Lakers part-owner and executive vice president of basketball operations Jim Buss told The Times specifically what he is looking for in the 2015-16 season.

"To me, the barometer of success at the end of next year ... is if we have eight core players that are going to be Lakers for the next five years," said Buss.

The Lakers currently have 18 players on their roster, with a strong chance that veteran forward Metta World Peace will re-sign with the team as the 19th. Only 15 can make the opening night roster -- which have a shot of joining Buss' projected core?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-develop-core-players-20150921-story.html

Last edited by lakersfreak on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:13 pm; edited 19 times in total
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Lakers' Randle working with World Peace, might not start
by foxsports.com

With such a young roster, one might naturally assume that the Los Angeles Lakers would do everything possible to get its prospects as much playing time as possible. But coach Byron Scott reportedly isn't sure if Julius Randle will be his team's starting power forward for the 2015-16 season.

In a lengthy Q&A with Bill Oram of the OC Register, Scott made it clear that he's not ruling out Randle as a starter. Instead, he's considering what the best way to bring Randle along will be:

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/los-angeles-lakers-julius-randle-metta-world-peace-starter-byron-scott-092115
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Byron Scott discusses Kobe Bryant, 3-pointers, analytics
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

Byron Scott sat down for a wide-ranging interview with the Register’s Bill Oram on Wednesday. Many of his comments made their way into the story that appears in Friday’s Register, which you can read here.

However, the entire conversation, in which Scott expounds on his feelings on the roster, Kobe Bryant’s future, and his much-criticized comments about the 3-pointer, can be read below.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/full-683349--.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Closer Look: Robert Upshaw
by Joey Ramirez - nba.com

For Robert Upshaw, now is the time to prove that all the talk of his potential has been warranted. He’s a seven-footer who some projected to be a potential lottery pick until he was dismissed from the Fresno State basketball program in 2013 and Washington’s in 2015 due to disciplinary reasons.

After going undrafted in June, Upshaw joined the Lakers Summer League team and underwhelmed. Upshaw, who admitted that he was not in shape for the Las Vegas tournament, averaged just 1.4 points, 2.2 rebounds and 0.8 blocks in 11.5 minutes per contest.

Clearly, the Lakers hope for more out of the Fresno native, as he inked a deal with the team last week. With training camp beginning in eight days, he has shed 20 pounds and is looking for the same type of success that he enjoyed in his dominant, yet brief, time as UW’s center.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/150921_robertupshaw
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Roy Hibbert wants to rediscover his game, not his fame, with the Lakers
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

Roy Hibbert kept experiencing the same thing in Los Angeles, where fame is measured in box-office promise and reality-TV ridicule.

He was reminded of his almost-famous stature whenever he arrived at high-end restaurants with paparazzi lingering near the entrance.

"I'd get out of the car and before I even opened the door, cameras would start flashing. And all of a sudden as soon as I got out, they'd stop and just go back," Hibbert said.

After the Lakers acquired him from small-market Indiana in July, his profile grew in some of the same culinary haunts.

Larry King saw Hibbert dining and brought him to meet a handful of guests at a nearby table, where pictures were taken with the 7-foot-2 center.

Sylvester Stallone approached Hibbert's table at a different eatery and wished him well, a particular thrill for Hibbert because of an interest in martial arts.

"People really love the Lakers out here. I walk down the street now and get stopped four or five times, taking pictures," he said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-hibbert-20150916-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject:

Hibbert Prepares to Lead Defense
by Joey Ramirez - nba.com

Eleven days sit between Roy Hibbert and his first NBA training camp outside of the Indiana Pacers organization. Looking to prove himself in a contract year, the two-time all-star has reshaped his body and aims to remind the league that he remains one of the NBA’s top defensive backbones.

In an interview with The Los Angeles Times, Hibbert said that he has dropped 14 pounds to 268 over the past few months in an effort to adapt to the league’s current style of play.

“I’ve discovered a new nutritionist,” Hibbert said on The Popcorn Machine podcast. “It’s changed some things up. With how the NBA’s moving, everything is faster. That’s how Golden State won (the championship). You have to be able to move and have bigs that are agile.

“When I was with my last team, I kind of wanted to be a big force in the paint to pound people down low. But we really don’t do that too much anymore. So I had to change my game a little bit, but not too much.”

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/150918_hibbertdefense
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject:

Kobe to host French train trio to Lakers game
by Mark Hensch - thehill.com

NBA player Kobe Bryant plans on treating the trio of Americans who foiled a terrorist attack last month to a Los Angeles Lakers basketball game.

Bryant is extending the invite to Airman 1st Class Spencer Stone, Army Spc. Alek Skarlatos and student Anthony Sadler for their actions during the incident on a Paris-bound train on Aug. 21, according to TMZ.

TMZ reported on Monday that the hoops star is coordinating his invite with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.
They plan on hosting the trio for a Lakers game during the upcoming season and then having them meet Bryant, it said.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/254355-kobe-bryan-to-host-french-train-trio-to-lakers-game
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle Ready For His Lakers Debut, Take Two
by Trevor Lane - lakersnation.com

I was only a few feet away when it happened. It was October 23, 2009 and a buddy and I had been perusing resale ticket-sites like StubHub looking for something to do on a Friday night. We came across a pair of tickets to see the Clippers take on the then-New Orleans Hornets in the final game of the preseason; they were on the baseline, four rows back, and unbelievably cheap. Whether it was through divine intervention or just good luck, my friend and I snatched up the fire sale-priced tickets as fast as we could.

We weren’t Clippers nor Hornets fans, but to sit that close to the action was an opportunity we couldn’t pass up. I knew a little about the Clippers No. 1 pick in the 2009 NBA Draft, Blake Griffin, but had never seen him play in person. That night he was a human pogo stick, bouncing all over the court and making it clear that the Clippers had found themselves a real player.

Then it all came crashing down. After a fantastic block, Griffin ran the floor hard, got the ball at the free throw line, and slammed it home. As he landed, he immediately looked down at his left knee. I’ll never forget the look on his face, one of concern mixed with disbelief. This was a man who was used to doing super-human things, and super-humans don’t get hurt. Griffin would end up sitting out his entire rookie season with fractured knee cap, and while his career eventually blossomed, I’ll never forget that moment when mortality slapped him in the face.

http://www.lakersnation.com/julius-randle-ready-for-his-lakers-debut-take-two/2015/09/22/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell posts Instagram photo with Jordan Clarkson, continues backcourt bromance
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

If Jordan Clarkson had a bigger ego, the Los Angeles Lakers' selection of point guard D'Angelo Russell second overall in the 2015 NBA draft after Clarkson just made the 2015 All-Rookie first team on the strength of his play at point guard could have caused a rift in the two's relationship before it even began.

Instead, Clarkson has by all accounts fully embraced his likely move to shooting guard in the Lakers' starting lineup alongside Russell in what the team's front office hopes will be the team's backcourt for the next decade.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/9/21/9365745/la-lakers-dangelo-russell-jordan-clarkson
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott excited for fresh start with Lakers and young core at training camp
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles Lakers head off to Hawaii in under a week to begin training camp, so the lead-up media rounds have begun. Head coach Byron Scott stopped by for an interview with Colin Cowherd on FS1 and gave his thoughts leading up to a fresh start with the team.

"I'm excited about going to training camp next week, seeing what Julius Randle can do, and how he's developed," Scott said of expectations for his young core. "Jordan Clarkson was obviously a diamond in the rough last year, seeing if he's going to continue to grow and get better. And like you said, we've got a 19-year-old in D'Angelo Russell at the point guard, we want to see how he develops."

The trio of players represents the future of the organization Scott expressed a clear understanding of where the team is heading. "My future is Randle, Russell and Clarkson right now. Those three guys. We know that they're going to be here for a number of years," Byron said of the Lakers' talented youth. "We do know these young guys that we have are obviously the future of Los Angeles."

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/9/22/9372619/la-lakers-training-camp-la-lakers
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Roy Meets World
by Mike Trudell - nba.com

August and September are typically the two slowest months of the NBA calendar, but for new Lakers center Roy Hibbert, they’ve differed from the regular season months only in that he hasn’t been playing official NBA games.

Hibbert’s been a regular presence at the team’s practice facility, both to work out with strength and conditioning coach Tim DiFrancesco, of late adding some muscle mass to a frame from which he’d already lost 16 pounds at his introductory interview to the Lakers.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/150922_royhibbert
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Lakers’ Julius Randle no longer angry about last year’s injury
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The anxiety swept over Lakers head athletic trainer Gary Vitti as he attended to Julius Randle.

“I broke my leg,” Randle shouted in pain as he lay on the court just 14 minutes into his NBA rookie season.

Vitti soon held Randle’s fractured tibia in his right leg with both hands before the paramedics arrived with splints.

Randle was immobilized and taken on a stretcher to a nearby hospital, an image that foretold the Lakers’ injury-riddled 2014-15 season that led to their worst record in the franchise’s 67-year-old history.

“I was in a fog,” Vitti recalled of that moment nearly 11 months ago. “You start thinking, ‘What did I do wrong? What did we do wrong?’”

X-rays showed Randle had indeed broken his leg.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150922/lakers-julius-randle-no-longer-angry-about-last-years-injury
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks a lot!
And keep it up if you only can!

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Move over, Kobe: Byron Scott says Lakers' future is the young guys
by foxsports.com

The Los Angeles Lakers are by no means ushering Kobe Bryant out the door. But as the team looks toward the future, it's clear which players will determine the Lakers' destiny.

Coach Byron Scott knows it, and he shared his vision with Colin Cowherd in a Tuesday appearance on "The Herd." Scott told Cowherd that he's excited for this season and ready for the young guys to battle for spots in the rotation.

"I'm excited about going to training camp next week and seeing what Julius Randle can do, and how he's developed," Scott said. "Jordan Clarkson was obviously a diamond in the rough last year, so seeing if he's going to continue to grow and get better. And like you said, we've got a 19-year-old in D'Angelo Russell at the point guard. We want to see how he develops."

"My future is Randle, Russell and Clarkson right now," Scott added.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-byron-scott-d-angelo-russell-julius-randle-jordan-clarkson-future-092215
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
Thanks a lot!
And keep it up if you only can!

thx, will do my best
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

The Lakers will entertain, will they be good?
by Kurt Helin - nbcsports.com

Plenty of NBA fans (not to mention people around the league) are in the schadenfreude camp of enjoying the Lakers’ struggles.

But I can give you 19 reasons even those “haters” want the Lakers to be better this season — that’s the number of times they are in a nationally televised game. Seventh most in the league. The same number as the Houston Rockets, and more than Anthony Davis’ Pelicans, the Heat, and the Grizzlies. Even more than the Knicks and Mavericks combined.

You’re going to have to watch them. You want them to be at least entertaining.

And they will be.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/09/23/51q-the-lakers-will-entertain-will-they-be-good/
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for handling the news thread lakersfreak

lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Thanks for handling the news thread lakersfreak

Welcome
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Lakers’ trainer understandably cautious with Randle
by Kurt Helin - nbcsports.com

Just 18 minutes into his first NBA game, Julius Randle fractured his tibia on what was an innocent play.

Longtime Lakers’ trainer Gary Vitti — entering his final season — has blamed himself for that. He shouldn’t, every other medical person consulted on this said there was no way to see it coming, but that’s Vitti. Randle had surgery that put a rod and screws in his tibia, and he spent a year in recovery. (While out, Randle also had foot surgery.) He was healthy enough to play in Summer League in Las Vegas.

But heading into the season, Vitti is still leaning toward caution and thinking long-term, as he told Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/09/23/lakers-trainer-understandably-cautious-with-randle/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Lakers' Julius Randle predicts to average double-double
by Zach Harper - cbssports.com

We only saw Los Angeles Lakers' Julius Randle on the floor for 14 minutes before his rookie season ended with a broken leg. The injury suffered in the opening-game loss to the Houston Rockets cost him valuable experience on the floor that many rookies are able to use to learn the speed of the game, the strategy of the game and build toward the future of their careers. Randle had to observe and learn by sight instead of experience.

That's not going to keep him from being confident in his abilities and projecting his production in his sophomore season in the NBA. Per the Los Angeles Daily News, Randle "absolutely" believes he'll average a double-double for the Lakers this season and whatever is best for helping the team win games.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25313659/lakers-julius-randle-absolutely-sees-himself-averaging-a-double-double
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant, Metta World Peace lead Lakers' education of Julius Randle
by Adrian Wojnarowski - yahoo.com

Months had passed for Julius Randle, his fractured leg had mended and, still, he sat as a solitary, seething customer in a Southern California restaurant. The trainers had let him back into the gym in March to start his long, lonely return to the Los Angeles Lakers' lineup, and Randle desperately resisted the slow, steady churn of the regimen. He wanted to go longer, harder. He wanted to stay in the gym.

"I'm frustrated," Randle texted. "I just want to play basketball."

"Patience," Kobe Bryant responded to him.

"I'm 19 years old," Randle wondered. "How do I have patience?"

"It's the only choice," Bryant told him.

"You'll see."

Now, Randle is sitting in a corner booth of Don Chuy's in Playa Vista on a sunny September afternoon and laughs, "I do see it now."

Randle is forever grateful about the way his boyhood idol climbed down from the posters on his bedroom and into his basketball life.

"The biggest person to help get me through this was Kobe – by far," Randle says.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kobe-bryant--metta-world-peace-lead-lakers--education-of-julius-randle-021735823.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject:

The Lakers should embrace three-point shooting
by Apratim Ghosh - silverscreenandroll.com

As the Los Angeles Lakers head off for Hawaii and the start of training camp, the team's heralded new core is set to absorb head coach Byron Scott's offensive system. The team should hopefully see an uptick in offensive performance with the roster upgrades made during the offseason and the return of Kobe Bryant

However, Scott's much maligned offensive system from last season will remain in place. Under Scott's reign the team produced the seventh-least efficient offense, suffering from a lack of quick hitting actions and a dearth of three-point attempts. In Scott's defense, the Lakers endured a rash of injuries and the team simply did not have the talent to yield an elite offense.

However, when Scott sat down with the OC Register's Bill Oram he expounded upon his wariness of the three-point shot. In the following passage from that interview, Scott seems to intimate that teams who space the floor and emphasize three-point shooting will concurrently expose themselves on the defensive end:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/9/23/9381051/la-lakers-byron-scott-3-point-shots
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on the Lakers: 'I expect them to make the playoffs'
by James Herbert - cbssports.com

When it comes to the Los Angeles Lakers, Julius Randle isn't the only person saying crazy/optimistic things right now.

Former Lakers great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is doing a media tour to promote his new novel about Sherlock Holmes' brother, Mycroft -- yes, you read that correctly -- and he told SiriusXM NBA radio that he sees good things on the horizon:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25314133/kareem-abdul-jabbar-on-the-lakers-i-expect-them-to-make-the-playoffs
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
The Lakers should embrace three-point shooting
by Apratim Ghosh - silverscreenandroll.com

As the Los Angeles Lakers head off for Hawaii and the start of training camp, the team's heralded new core is set to absorb head coach Byron Scott's offensive system. The team should hopefully see an uptick in offensive performance with the roster upgrades made during the offseason and the return of Kobe Bryant

However, Scott's much maligned offensive system from last season will remain in place. Under Scott's reign the team produced the seventh-least efficient offense, suffering from a lack of quick hitting actions and a dearth of three-point attempts. In Scott's defense, the Lakers endured a rash of injuries and the team simply did not have the talent to yield an elite offense.

However, when Scott sat down with the OC Register's Bill Oram he expounded upon his wariness of the three-point shot. In the following passage from that interview, Scott seems to intimate that teams who space the floor and emphasize three-point shooting will concurrently expose themselves on the defensive end:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/9/23/9381051/la-lakers-byron-scott-3-point-shots

Good to see GT's use of the phrase "archaic schemes" is catching on elsewhere.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:

Lakers GM believes his team has a shot at the playoffs
by Sam Amick - usatoday.com

Optimism is every general manager’s best friend this time of year, what with NBA training camps around the corner and all.

But when Mitch Kupchak told USA TODAY Sports recently that he had realistic hopes of his Los Angeles Lakers pushing for a playoff spot this season, it’s safe to say he pushed the limits of this glass-is-half-full practice.

On the heels of their torturous two-year stretch (combined record: 48-116), a 37-year-old Kobe Bryant can’t be seen as a savior as he returns yet again from a devastating injury. And the cast of characters around him – for the most part – is fairly seen as either inexperienced or ineffective. What’s more, the Western Conference is as daunting a place as it has ever been.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2015/09/24/mitch-kupchak-los-angeles-lakers/72701178/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: