Lakers In The News 7/14/15 & 7/15/2015: Robert Upshaw plans to meet with Mitch Kupchak Thursday
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Can Bill Plaschke be more of a tool? He writes that steaming pile of you know what after the third summer league game?! Really??!!

The once proud sports page of Jim Murray, since reduced to utter nothingness...

Damn you BergMan. Don't even mention that douche in the same post as the GREAT Jim Murray. I feel so sorry for those too young to have read his work.
cyclo7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

Just don't see any upside with Julius. He's not a defender. He plays shorter than his height, is a tad undersized for the PF position (6'7.75") and doesn't have the wingspan to compensate for his lack of height. Struggles to score over length. He also looks like he's new to basketball.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

cyclo7 wrote:
Just don't see any upside with Julius. He's not a defender. He plays shorter than his height, is a tad undersized for the PF position (6'7.75") and doesn't have the wingspan to compensate for his lack of height. Struggles to score over length. He also looks like he's new to basketball.

All the PFs who claim to be 6'10 wear things called shoes.

Jules in shoes is above 6'9.
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Well the L.A. Times is playing hard ball again. I can't copy and paste or even read the paper, not anything as I'm not a subscriber. They don't even sell the Times in my area. If you are a subscriber you can use the link.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83989959/

ALSO:

I will be taking a vacation to China in a few days for a few weeks. I am doubtful about internet where I'm going, China's National Parks. It'll be a slow time for the news expect for possible trades. I'll be back.

I worked in China for 4 years and just got back a few months ago. You aren't going to have good internet at all. There will be hotspots at all the big hotels and public places but going to National Parks, which are usually in more remote and rural places, you probably won't get much internet anywhere. And even if you do, it's behind the Great Firewall so LG doesn't always load fast if it does at all, it has to do with the hosting company. I used to have a Blackberry and since they used their own servers with their browser, it wasn't behind the Firewall....but I don't know if that's still the case. And forget about Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and any other social media sites. I think Tumblr is still accessible... Although I hear from some people that the new T-Mobile international plans are able to bypass the Firewall....don't know for sure though.

Anyways, hope you have a great time!
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

cheetos82 wrote:
Cha*n wrote:
Well the L.A. Times is playing hard ball again. I can't copy and paste or even read the paper, not anything as I'm not a subscriber. They don't even sell the Times in my area. If you are a subscriber you can use the link.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83989959/

ALSO:

I will be taking a vacation to China in a few days for a few weeks. I am doubtful about internet where I'm going, China's National Parks. It'll be a slow time for the news expect for possible trades. I'll be back.

I worked in China for 4 years and just got back a few months ago. You aren't going to have good internet at all. There will be hotspots at all the big hotels and public places but going to National Parks, which are usually in more remote and rural places, you probably won't get much internet anywhere. And even if you do, it's behind the Great Firewall so LG doesn't always load fast if it does at all, it has to do with the hosting company. I used to have a Blackberry and since they used their own servers with their browser, it wasn't behind the Firewall....but I don't know if that's still the case. And forget about Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and any other social media sites. I think Tumblr is still accessible... Although I hear from some people that the new T-Mobile international plans are able to bypass the Firewall....don't know for sure though.

Anyways, hope you have a great time!

Thank you and that's what my experience has been in the past. I was hoping it was changing.

No new NEWS today worth posting but I'll keep a watch.

LG = great mods, great posters and cheers to all.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
Can Bill Plaschke be more of a tool? He writes that steaming pile of you know what after the third summer league game?! Really??!!

The once proud sports page of Jim Murray, since reduced to utter nothingness...

Damn you BergMan. Don't even mention that douche in the same post as the GREAT Jim Murray. I feel so sorry for those too young to have read his work.

Had to be done, to illustrate how far it's all fallen down the rat hole.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

Robert Upshaw plans to meet with Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak on Thursday

By Mark Medina, LA Daily News
POSTED: 07/14/15
The Lakers and Robert Upshaw have envisioned a future together through the next two years. But Upshaw and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak plan to meet Thursday in Las Vegas in what could provide more clarity on their partnership, according to an NBA source familiar with the situation.

The Lakers and Upshaw agreed to a general framework of a deal last weekend, a two-year contract at the veteran’s minimum that includes a partial guarantee next season and non-guaranteed terms for 2016-17. But the deal has not been finalized. It remains unclear what exactly will be discussed in Thursday’s meeting, but it is believed that discussion reflects the Lakers performing their due diligence.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150714/robert-upshaw-plans-to-meet-with-lakers-gm-mitch-kupchak-on-thursday
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

Jordan Hill: 'A lot of people can't handle' Kobe Bryant
FOX Sports

JUL 15, 2015 2:05p ET

Now that he's moved on to the Indiana Pacers and he's no longer with the Los Angeles Lakers, Jordan Hill can share some of his takes from inside Staples Center.
Of course, if you're asking a former Laker about the Lakers, everyone wants to know about Kobe Bryant. And Hill made it clear that if you're in Los Angeles, you better get used to hearing from Bryant -- all of the time, literally, whenever there is a basketball anywhere near you (via Shane Young of HoopsHabit):

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/jordan-hill-a-lot-of-people-can-t-handle-kobe-bryant-071515
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

Nick Young Trade Would Mean Los Angeles Lakers Gambling Their Depth Away

By David Murphy , Featured Columnist Jul 15, 2015

During the opening weeks of the 2015 free-agency process, trade rumors swirled around Nick Young—that the shot-happy swingman might not be long for the Land of the Los Angeles Lakers.

But unloading Young could also wreak havoc with L.A.’s depth chart.

In April, Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News reported on the potential of Young’s exit, writing that "the Lakers will entertain offers for him, according to a team official familiar with the front office’s thinking."

More recently, that reliable soothsayer of basketball transactions, Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski, weighed in:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2523019-nick-young-trade-would-mean-los-angeles-lakers-gambling-their-depth-away
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

Lakers fans help make Las Vegas Summer League game most watched ever
FOX Sports

JUL 15, 2015 2:05p ET

The records keep coming from Friday's meeting between the Los Angeles Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves in Las Vegas which featured top two picks Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell.
First, the two teams played in front of a reported record number of fans in attendance at the Thomas & Mack Center (12,422):

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/lakers-fans-help-make-las-vegas-summer-league-game-most-watched-ever-071515
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:

The Lakers and Robert Upshaw have envisioned a future together through the next two years. But Upshaw and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak plan to meet Thursday in Las Vegas in what could provide more clarity on their partnership, according to an NBA source familiar with the situation.

The Lakers and Upshaw agreed to a general framework of a deal last weekend, a two-year contract at the veteran’s minimum that includes a partial guarantee next season and non-guaranteed terms for 2016-17. But the deal has not been finalized. It remains unclear what exactly will be discussed in Thursday’s meeting, but it is believed that discussion reflects the Lakers performing their due diligence.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150714/robert-upshaw-plans-to-meet-with-lakers-gm-mitch-kupchak-on-thursday

Just say no to Sacre, anything to NOT see Sacre in a game!!! I like Upshaw, if he gets his head in the game, watch out.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers: No Struggle, No Progress For D'Angelo Russell
by Chris Walton 52m ago

Things aren’t off to the wondrous beginning that the Los Angeles Lakers brass expected. The young and talented Summer League roster has only registered one victory in three games. Jordan Clarkson, Julius Randle, and rookie D’Angelo Russell are in the midst of an uphill battle to find their place in the NBA. Russell’s search falls under the microscope far more than any other players.

As the team’s newest usher into the future, expectations aren’t expected to waver from the Lakers’ historic reputation. At this stage, Russell isn’t leading the team to a championship, but he does have a chance to shape the identity of the young bunch.

http://hoopshabit.com/2015/07/15/los-angeles-lakers-no-struggle-no-progress-dangelo-russell/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

Forget About D'Angelo Russell, This Is Jordan Clarksons Time.
by Gotham Boles | July 15, 2015

​And with the number 2 pick in the 2015 draft, the Los Angeles Lakers Select... D'Angelo Russell. This is when the new era of laker basketball began, or is it.

Last years Lakers were seen as a disapointment, one of the worst records in the league, top draft pick Julius Randle got injured, Kobe got reinjured, and a roster with a serious lack of talent. What Laker fans are starting to forget was, there is always a silver lining. This linings name is Jordan Clarkson.

http://gothamboles.sportsblog.com/posts/2835926/forget-about-d-angelo-russell--this-is-jordan-clarksons-time-.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell Has Underwhelmed So Far In 2015 NBA Summer League

By Douglas Ammon on July 15, 2015

Andrew D. Bernstein / Getty Images
The first pick of the 2015 NBA draft was a lock, like it so often it is. The Minnesota Timberwolves were in need of everything, but at the top of their list was an explosive big man who could score in a variety of ways and also defend. Enter: Karl Anthony-Towns.

When it was time for the Los Angeles Lakers to make their selection at No. 2, it appeared for weeks on end that Duke big man Jahlil Okafor was going to see his name in purple and gold. But as the draft got closer, D’Angelo Russell started to seem more and more like the next player to see his name go up in Hollywood lights.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/07/15/dangelo-russell-has-underwhelmed-so-far-in-2015-nba-summer-league/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

L.A. Times continues it's block out of none subscribers. Nice article by E.P. if any of you can post it. Thanks

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/07/15/dangelo-russell-has-underwhelmed-so-far-in-2015-nba-summer-league/
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:

Cha*n.....the thread title says Mitch is meeting Upshaw today but the article says Thursday.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Cha*n wrote:

Cha*n.....the thread title says Mitch is meeting Upshaw today but the article says Thursday.

Ooops, Thanks
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Lakers News: Franchise Ranked 6th Most-Valuable In World
by Anthony F. Irwin 42m ago

So, about that brand taking such irreversible hits due to tanking these last couple years… In Forbes’ most recent list of the most valuable sports franchises in the world, the Los Angeles Lakers finished sixth, the highest such ranking for any NBA team.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2015/07/15/lakers-news-franchise-ranked-6th-most-valuable-in-world/
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Be safe and have fun Cha*n.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject:

New Lakers liaison to help coaches and analytics group communicate
by Eric Freeman - sports.yahoo.com

Los Angeles Lakers head coach Byron Scott does not like advanced analytics. The 54-year-old has made this stance abundantly clear, whether via his belief that his team should shoot a comically low number of three-pointers or his less direct, verifiably old-school analogies about foxhole scenarios and the like.

Yet Scott's aversion to the cutting edge (or even current standard) of statistical analysis has also come to represent the approach of the Lakers as a franchise. They have been well behind the rest of the NBA in embracing analytically derived trends and reportedly had little substantive analysis to show LaMarcus Aldridge when they met with the in-demand free agent.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/new-lakers-liaison-to-help-coaches-and-analytics-group-communicate-052819670.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject:

already posted

Last edited by lakersfreak on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Cha*n wrote:

Ooops, Thanks
Any word on what happened at the meeting?
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

The Official Robert Upshaw thread title says that he signed with the Lakers last Friday evening (basically a week ago)? That thread title is misleading and incorrect.

Edit: That thread title has been changed, thanks!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: