WCS... Let's be honest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: WCS... Let's be honest

If we end up with the 5th pick, I'm hearing a lot of Laker fans saying WCS would be the perfect selection....Then, I hear these cliches on why we should draft him..........

Good rim protector
Clogs up the middle
runs the floor well

Well, ok...That's good if he was a BACK UP center and or / Role player/5th option...

If we go that route, are we gonna have player development (such as Karim) so that he can be potent on the offensive end. This is the LAKERS... We usually have big men that can be just as dominant on both ends....Are we asking too much for that, and need to settle with WCS being more Javel Mahgee or Greg Ostertag rather than Bynum in his last two Laker years or even Al Hortford (not even saying he has to be David Robinson, Olajuwon, Shaq...but at least a threat offensively)

Last edited by LakeShowSince84 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WCS... Let's be honest

LakeShowSince84 wrote:
If we end up with the 5th pick, I'm hearing a lot of Laker fans saying WCS would be the perfect selection....Then, I hear these cliches on why we should draft him..........

Good rim protector
Clogs up the middle
runs the floor well

Well, ok...That's good if he was a BACK UP center and or / Role player/5th option...

If we got that route, are we gonna have player development (such as Karim) so that he can be potent on the offensive end. This is the LAKERS... We usually have big men that can be just as dominant on both ends....Are we asking too much for that, and need to settle with WCS being more Javel Mahgee or Greg Ostertag rather than Bynum in his last two Laker years or even Al Hortford (not even saying he has to be David Robinson, Olajuwon, Shaq...but at least a threat offensively)

Tyson Chandler and DeAndre Jordan aren't back up centers.

You're asking too much if you want Kareem to turn him into a post player. He's more natural as a face up player with a basic post game.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject:

His ceiling isn't very high. He can end up being pretty good, but as it stands right now, we need to roll the dice a bit more. I'd actually prefer Mudiay over him.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=172190&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=3750
I posted about ten of his jumpers from this season on this page.
The first two are of the faceup variety from 20feet. He has potential offensively
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:
His ceiling isn't very high. He can end up being pretty good, but as it stands right now, we need to roll the dice a bit more. I'd actually prefer Mudiay over him.

I'm not thinking franchise player.

I am thinking cornerstone. Tyson Chandler/DeAndre Jordan.

PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: WCS... Let's be honest

Mike@LG wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

Good rim protector
Clogs up the middle
runs the floor well

If we got that route, are we gonna have player development (such as Karim) so that he can be potent on the offensive end. This is the LAKERS... We usually have big men that can be just as dominant on both ends....Are we asking too much for that, and need to settle with WCS being more Javel Mahgee or Greg Ostertag rather than Bynum in his last two Laker years or even Al Hortford (not even saying he has to be David Robinson, Olajuwon, Shaq...but at least a threat offensively)

You're asking too much if you want Kareem to turn him into a post player. He's more natural as a face up player with a basic post game.

neither of them are top 2 players on their team
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WCS... Let's be honest

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

Good rim protector
Clogs up the middle
runs the floor well

I don't find that important.

I do care what talents the player contributes.

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WCS... Let's be honest

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

Good rim protector
Clogs up the middle
runs the floor well

Maybe not, but they are probably top 2 most important players for their teams. Lose either of them and LAC/DAL playoff hopes just vanished because their defense has just gone down the drain. Whereas offense is easier to find. See Bogut's importance to the Warriors. Nobody would argue he's a top 2 player for them, but do you think the Warriors would have a chance at the championship without him?

Defensive anchors at the 5 are invaluable, especially if they have the chance to be elite on that end. It changes the game so much when the opposition is hesitant to attack the rim.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Cant wait to see how WCS medical exam goes. Big part of where he will be drafted.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=172190&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=3750
I posted about ten of his jumpers from this season on this page.
The first two are of the faceup variety from 20feet. He has potential offensively

If he can be DJ with a jumper and can make free throws then sign me up....

Him and Clarkson in the pick and pop/roll would be deadly
g3rb3r
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WCS... Let's be honest

Mike@LG wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

Good rim protector
Clogs up the middle
runs the floor well

Think that's pretty much it here...time to go home, thread over.
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Bynum eventually turned into a post player...These guys gonna get paid millions... I doubt asking him to work on his post game wouldn't be asking a lot
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

LakeShowSince84 wrote:
Bynum eventually turned into a post player...These guys gonna get paid millions... I doubt asking him to work on his post game wouldn't be asking a lot

He already began working on a high post game. The mid-range jumpshot was developing, along with basic straight-line drives.

If he develops that, while retaining great defensive presence, rebounding presence, and staying out of foul trouble, he would be an awesome player.

Not asking for 20 point scoring. But 10 years of 12 points, 11 rebs, 3 blocks 1 steal would be pretty sick.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

He already began working on a high post game. The mid-range jumpshot was developing, along with basic straight-line drives.

If he develops that, while retaining great defensive presence, rebounding presence, and staying out of foul trouble, he would be an awesome player.

Not asking for 20 point scoring. But 10 years of 12 points, 11 rebs, 3 blocks 1 steal would be pretty sick.

12 points is what guys athletic bigs like him get without a mid range J
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

Being conservative.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

Being conservative.

I agree with that stance ; with the exception of if he plays for us. He's too good of a fit next to a slashing/coast to coast PF, and a PnR point guard.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject:

Remember when we had Shaq, Bynum, and Dwight?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

He just changed his middle name to "Trill"....Now add the possible red flag warning for immaturity and Knuckle Head syndrome similar to Andrew Bynum. ...So praying for a top 2 pick just so we don't flirt with drafting this guy
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Remember when we had Shaq, Bynum, and Dwight?

I sense a "who's better?" poll coming our way ...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: WCS... Let's be honest

44TheLogo wrote:

Maybe not, but they are probably top 2 most important players for their teams. Lose either of them and LAC/DAL playoff hopes just vanished because their defense has just gone down the drain. Whereas offense is easier to find. See Bogut's importance to the Warriors. Nobody would argue he's a top 2 player for them, but do you think the Warriors would have a chance at the championship without him?

Defensive anchors at the 5 are invaluable, especially if they have the chance to be elite on that end. It changes the game so much when the opposition is hesitant to attack the rim.

Larry Nance vs Armon Gilliam. Suns had both. Neither a franchise player, but Nance was 6'10"+ with pogo legs and retired the top career shot blocker among all forwards. Armon was a solid player, but short. Cavs arguably got more out of Nance than Daugherty and PHX used him as trade bait to get a PG the caliber of KJ. Lakers sure as hell could've used Nance instead of Geeter and we won the title in Nance's rookie year. Not saying that Willie even has Nance's offensive touch, but we certainly can't sneeze at athletic height, especially if we're picking 5th. Some fans have this attitude that they've gotta get absolutely every single thing they could possibly want from a player with a lottery pick. You can't always get what you want, but if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need. You just need a score with whatever's left over and if it happens to be WCS, then he's gonna get usage. It's not written in stone that we're destined to get a superstar if we don't get lucky and bump up. Okafor is probably the only guy who most surely projects to that level. Even Towns is iffy to some folks.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject:

misterrunon wrote:

I agree.

I am not hating on the kid, but I would rather go with a high upside guy like Mudiay or the Euro.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
misterrunon wrote:

I agree.

I am not hating on the kid, but I would rather go with a high upside guy like Mudiay or the Euro.

I'd rather see the Lakers get a player who projects foward with a better balance between high upside and lower risk to his down side. Winslow will not fail; Mudiay might.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject:

I believe the porzingis hype...he's going to sneak in the top 5 and my money is on Winslow and mudiay slipping a bit. We may see 4/5 of the first picks being bigmen.

Okafor
Towns
Porzingis
WCS

They all bring unique skill sets that are not easy to find.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: WCS... Let's be honest

Mike@LG wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

Good rim protector
Clogs up the middle
runs the floor well

I'm on the boat with OP.

Personally, I just cant help but think of KMartin when I think of him. Good, solid, defensive player.. not a lottery pick for my liking though.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

Except KMart had a broken leg his senior year and couldn't defend the perimeter.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: