Tyler Harvey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Tyler Harvey

Wanted to know your opinions on him? Good one for the early 2nd round pick? Or our Houston pick? His jump shot is intriguing as is his scoring ability.

Whats your guys and gals thoughts?

he and Clarkson would also be able to work together.

23/3/2 46% shooting from the field and 43% from three point land and 85% free throw shooting.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject:

Those shots are heat check shots that won't always drop. He's a #1 option on the team and needs volume to keep going.

I prefer Joe Young because he's more of a playmaker and actually takes shots in a PnR system, not with tremendous handle to create fadeaways behind the arc.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject:

that stepback was very repeatable. didn't look like heat checks to me. looked like a shot he gets relatively routinely.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

He does, as he shot 43% from 3 and 46% in general.

To me he looks like he'd be a steal with the early 2nd round pick.

I'd like to hope if the Lakers got him that Nash would work with him. Considering his shooting and scoring ability already I'd figure if he learned the speeds and the PnR game he'd become a heck of a player. His "base" is already very very solid as well as his handle.

So to me he looks like a steal if the Lakers could land him.

Him vs Cal

3s vs Georgetown

They look like heat check shots but the repetition he shoot's them makes me think that he practices them that way. It looks like it's 2nd nature to him rather than just randomly throwing it up. Looks like he could be a very deadly shooter at the next level and scorer.

Yea, definitely an under the radar steal. Nice little change of pace and obviously his ability to get a shot. Him and Clarkson would be pretty deadly together.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I agree, Harvey or Upshaw with the 2nd rounder.
Depends if we keep our lotto pick and if we do, do we pick a big or a small with it.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Smaller Jamal Crawford against that competition.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:

He's a #1 option for Eastern Washington. He can't do that at the next level, guaranteeing him 20 shots a game.

LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject:

Him being a number 1 option wouldn't be as much as a concern this modern day in college ball as maybe a 15 years ago..Lilliard was a #1 option as well as Curry at mid majors. Do I believe he's the next Curry/Lilliard type playyer in terms of their successes...No

But it's not a risky move to go that route deeper in the draft maybe Hoouston's pick or 2nd round... I actually would prefer a big if we're discussing 2nd round, perhaps Christmas, Upshaw or Dakari Johnson..I'm observing the Warriors/Grizzlies series and seeing that the Warriors don't really have a solid/ physical big, and it seems to be their kryptonite.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:

LakeShowSince84 wrote:
Him being a number 1 option wouldn't be as much as a concern this modern day in college ball as maybe a 15 years ago..Lilliard was a #1 option as well as Curry at mid majors. Do I believe he's the next Curry/Lilliard type playyer in terms of their successes...No

But it's not a risky move to go that route deeper in the draft maybe Hoouston's pick or 2nd round... I actually would prefer a big if we're discussing 2nd round, perhaps Christmas, Upshaw or Dakari Johnson..I'm observing the Warriors/Grizzlies series and seeing that the Warriors don't really have a solid/ physical big, and it seems to be their kryptonite.

Lillard is a #1 or #2 option player and a natural playmaker.

Curry is a #1 or #2 option and developed into a playmaker.

He won't be a #1 or #2 option at the next level, especially with those heatcheck shots.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

it seems like they're shots he practices he does them with repetition like they are money plays.

Not wild throw up heat check shots, but shots he practices.

He as a number one option at a small college did it at a very high efficiency.

He may not get that many shots at the next level, however you can't ignore his ability to get a shot, his handle and his jump shot o general.

As a base he can be turned into a playmaker or at least that would be the idea to the team the drafted him.

If we drafted him and Nash worked with him like he did with Clarkson then we'd have another steal on our hands.

So I'd say his skill and ability already as a base at an entry level is something you can find a lot of worth within.

Especially if he's available at our early 2nd round pick.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I'll put this simply.

I do not like a guy who takes step-back fadeaway shots multiple times to create his own scoring.

That kind of shooting holds throughout an NCAA season. It almost never holds during an NBA season. The body breaks down over the season, and the move is far too complicated through 82 games.

Nevermind the fact that he develops his own rhythm by shot volume alone.

So, why not draft a guy that can make simpler shots, run an offense, and shoot just as well in Joe Young? At least he's using NBA level PnR decision-making.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject:

Because I'm looking for a pairing next to Clarkson as in a three point shooter or someone that can 'combo' with him. Young seems to be a main pg rather than an off-ball threat. Much as I like his ability to run the offense if he was stuck off ball to a Clarkson ran play I'd worry. With Harvey I don't have that worry, that and I feel playmaking can be worked on, in a half court setting etc.

But his base, right now is of someone that can get their own shot, is deadly from three and has a nice basic understanding of change of pace.

We can't expect 'growth' like Clarkson's to happen every time but I'd think a 6'4 guard with that kind of potential is worth a look. EVEN if his ceiling wound up being an off the bench scoring point guard/shooting guard that still equals viability for an early 2nd round pick.

I like Young However his height unfortunately holds him back, unless he was a Ty Lawson type of athlete with that kind of quickness, and I don't think that will happen. I still expect him to be solid and wouldn't mind getting him. I just have the feeling if he started next to Clarkson that Clarkson would have to main the off ball 2 95% of the time and considering Clarkson's growth at 1 if the guy we drafted DID become a starter I'd like him to be able to switch on AND off ball responsibilities with Clarkson and Harvey's 'base' and upside imo is one that can indeed do that if he were to progress to that level.

I hope I worded that right.

At the same time I guess wee also shouldn't forget that we have Jabari Brown as well probably if he continued to progress.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: