"Serial" podcast series
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: "Serial" podcast series

Is anyone listening to this? Somebody told me about it last week and I've listened to the first 9 podcasts. I'm trying to catch up before they release the last one on Thursday.

It's a fun listen. I want to say it's a fun read because it feels like you're ready a great series of articles.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What is Serial?

Serial is a new podcast from the creators of This American Life, hosted by Sarah Koenig. Serial will follow one story - a true story - over the course of a whole season. We'll follow the plot and characters wherever they take us and we won’t know what happens at the end of the story until we get there, not long before you get there with us. Each week we'll bring you the latest chapter, so it's important to listen in order, starting with Episode 1. If you need help knowing how podcasts work and how you get one, watch our tutorial.

http://serialpodcast.org/

**just being my helpful self. I have not.listened.
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject:

I've listened to all episodes so far. The last few episodes haven't been as good - it's clear that they are running out of material and are just trying to extend the season. Somehow I think that nothing new is going to be revealed in the final episode this Thursday, and it will be just a recap of everything that we've already heard. I hope I am wrong though. I am glad there will be the second season with a new story.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject:

im on episode 3.

pretty interesting so far
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:

So they do the final episode after they may have found their first break through on this case? I want to know the results.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Just listened to the entire series today (long holiday drive). I'm just as skeptical as I was mid-way through. Many things don't add up for Adnan or Jay or even Jenn.

But what I don't understand is why they didn't walk us through Hay's time line. We know she was with Don the night before, but the day of her disappearance there seemed to be some questions about where she was heading after school. Adnan and many others referenced her always picking her cousin or sister up after school. But Hay's friend on the wrestling staff said she was going to meet up with Don, no? So who exactly was she meeting that day? What happened when she didn't show up? What steps were taken?
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject:

I'd really like to know Stephanie's story. She was apparently Adnan's best friend but went completely MIA after he was arrested. Jay was supposed to be out getting her a birthday gift but they don't even hang out on her birthday? Did Jay actually get her gift? What all did Jay tell Stephanie? He told Jen and two other guys about Hae. Jay was also apparently cheating on Stephanie with Jenn and 1 or 2 other girls. Hae was going to confront Jay about his cheating. I'm surprised this never gets covered in the podcast because thats a possible motive for Jay.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
I'd really like to know Stephanie's story. She was apparently Adnan's best friend but went completely MIA after he was arrested. Jay was supposed to be out getting her a birthday gift but they don't even hang out on her birthday? Did Jay actually get her gift? What all did Jay tell Stephanie? He told Jen and two other guys about Hae. Jay was also apparently cheating on Stephanie with Jenn and 1 or 2 other girls. Hae was going to confront Jay about his cheating. I'm surprised this never gets covered in the podcast because thats a possible motive for Jay.

Yeah, Stephanie seemed to play an important part in both Adnan's life and Jay's. They mentioned her and Adnan's friendship may have been a motive for Jay to kill Hae.

I actually got a feeling that Jenn and Jay were the killers. Both lied to the detectives early on, before they got their stories' straight.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject:

There are only two real suspects here and they both might be in on it. Adnan and Jay. No one else has a motive. There's an outside shot that it was a random killing if a serial killer were on the loose, but otherwise, it's likely Adnan and/or Jay.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject:

There's more to the Jay and Stephanie story that we don't know about. She's the only person that both Adnan and Jay cared enough about to protect and since neither of their stories add up, they have to be protecting some other piece of info that we don't know about.
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

To me it is clear that Jay had a ton more to do with the killing then he has let on. Adnan was also no doubt involved but Jay is the only person with any possible motive.

No way Adnan should have been convicted of this crime. He got screwed with a horrible lawyer and most likely an uneducated jury.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:
To me it is clear that Jay had a ton more to do with the killing then he has let on. Adnan was also no doubt involved but Jay is the only person with any possible motive.

No way Adnan should have been convicted of this crime. He got screwed with a horrible lawyer and most likely an uneducated jury.

Yeah it was frustrating to hear the juror say she didn't know Jay had bargained his way out of jail for testifying. Also, why didn't any of them demand to see dna evidence from the body or Adnan or Jay or the trunk of the car?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
There are only two real suspects here and they both might be in on it. Adnan and Jay. No one else has a motive. There's an outside shot that it was a random killing if a serial killer were on the loose, but otherwise, it's likely Adnan and/or Jay.

It appears that way, but it's tough to figure out what the motive would be. Okay, Adnan was upset with Hae for being over him. What does Jay have to do with it? I didn't believe Jay's motive for helping Adnan, that he feared Adnan would tell the cops that he sold drugs. Well how is that better than the cops finding out he was an accomplice to murder?
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

It appears that way, but it's tough to figure out what the motive would be. Okay, Adnan was upset with Hae for being over him. What does Jay have to do with it? I didn't believe Jay's motive for helping Adnan, that he feared Adnan would tell the cops that he sold drugs. Well how is that better than the cops finding out he was an accomplice to murder?

Its clear to me that Jay and Adnan has a very complicated relationship. Both mentioned that they werent even really friends, yet Jay helps cover up a murder? Doesn't pass the smell test. I would bet their relationship had prior incidents that are not discussed because they look bad for one party.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject:

I think Jay got a deal out of this.

I don't want to speculate on what his involvement was, but it definitely seems to like he was more involved than what he says, and that adnan did do it.

Too many things "coincidentally" stack up against Adnan for me, and there a small corroborations here and there for Jay's story. The are things that appear to go in adnan's favor and one can only speculate, but a lot of the times it was 15 years later.

I originally jumped into this thinking he was innocent, but then i realize the reporter was pretty biased AND on top of that i was starting to think adnan might of done it..

Add the latter to the fact that the prosecutors were darn good and i think we know why the jury convicted him so fast. There are like 15 people at work who have heard this.. about 3-4 (including me) feel this way, the other 10-12 are completely shocked anyone would think Adnan did it.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Exclusive: Jay, Key Witness from ‘Serial’ Tells His Story for First Time, Part 1
By Natasha Vargas-Cooper 12/29/2014
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/29/exclusive-interview-jay-wilds-star-witness-adnan-syed-serial-case-pt-1/
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Exclusive: Jay, Key Witness from ‘Serial’ Tells His Story for First Time, Part 1
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/29/exclusive-interview-jay-wilds-star-witness-adnan-syed-serial-case-pt-1/

This interview is a microcosm of what made the podcast so compelling. It simultaneously bolstered my belief that Adnan did it and confounded me in how it represented yet another shift in Jay's story.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

This interview is a microcosm of what made the podcast so compelling. It simultaneously bolstered my belief that Adnan did it and confounded me in how it represented yet another shift in Jay's story.

How so? If anything it makes me simply WTF about this whole case. Even if Adnan did it, there's not enough evidence to convict him. And IMO this is solidified even more after Jay's interview.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
ocho wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

How so? If anything it makes me simply what the heck about this whole case. Even if Adnan did it, there's not enough evidence to convict him. And IMO this is solidified even more after Jay's interview.

There's a tremendous amount of bad luck and cosmic happenstance required for Adnan to be innocent. I agree that there wasn't enough evidence to convict him. Had I been on the jury I would have voted to acquit. I have a reasonable doubt based on what was presented. I still think he did it.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:

Jay's story, while it does change a bit, does have some corroboration.

People get hung up on things like.. OH WELL HE SAID BEST BUY, THE OTHER GUY SAID IT WAS IN A POOL HALL.

Ok - cool, how does that affect the death of Hae? It really doesn't.

I can see the prosecutors cutting a deal with Jay and helping him get his "Story" together. I am convinced Adnan did it.

I guess you can say.. "well if jay lied about that, he could be lying about everything else!!"

Keep in mind more than 2 or 3 people mentioned that Jay himself was scared of Adnan doing something to his gf.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Jay Speaks Part 2: ‘Hae was dead before she got to my house. Anything that makes Adnan innocent doesn’t involve me.’
By Natasha Vargas-Cooper 12/30/2014
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/30/exclusive-jay-part-2/
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:

reading the interviews something still doesn't sit well with me and that is the car loaning between the two "non-friends". Why was it so natural for Adnan to loan his car to someone he doesn't really know and why was it not strange for Jay to accept this "gift". this just sends off a huge alarm in my mind of BS coming from both of them.

I dont know about you guys but I would only loan out my car to family or very very good friends. Come to think of it I have never loaned my car to friends. Maybe just me.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Seems like a lot of people are very sensitive about Jay.

I just posted on reddit about how i thought Sarah Koenig was somehow biased, everyone flipped out lmao.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Final part here...

Jay Speaks Part 3: The Collateral Damage of an Extremely Popular Podcast about Murder
By Natasha Vargas-Cooper 12/31/2014
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/31/jay-speaks-part-3/
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:
reading the interviews something still doesn't sit well with me and that is the car loaning between the two "non-friends". Why was it so natural for Adnan to loan his car to someone he doesn't really know and why was it not strange for Jay to accept this "gift". this just sends off a huge alarm in my mind of BS coming from both of them.

I dont know about you guys but I would only loan out my car to family or very very good friends. Come to think of it I have never loaned my car to friends. Maybe just me.

Guys on the track team said that Jay often picked Adnan up after practice, in Adnan's car. So, I think they probably had a deeper drug business relationship than anyone may have known.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: