(OT) Vegas Summer League - Day 1 report (Bargnani) LONG

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: (OT) Vegas Summer League - Day 1 report (Bargnani) LONG

Vegas Summer Pro League
Thurs, July 6, 2006

I enjoyed the reports from the LA pro league last year (Bynum, Von Wafer etc.) so I was determined to sample the games here in Vegas, where I live. And I thought it might be a good idea to at least share thoughts/impressions of particular players of interest.

This started out as a detailed report, but with four games and 4 index cards in my pocket I ran out of stamina, space and brains. It's hard work sitting through four games. Anyway, here goes (I asked LG if it was ok to post non-lakes stuff and he said to 'go for it.')

First, the day started off good because traffic was light, parking was free and there was a light rain as I approached Cox Pavilion today to buy my ticket. Turned out too that I am now a 'senior' so having obtained senior rates I also bought a ticket for next Tuesday. What the heck.

Game 1 - Portland vs Houston

Portland: Ha jumped center for Portland he is huge. Big legs. Not too much game. Martel Webster took leadership control in the game, barking at other players (I sat row three, center in Cox --- - excellent seats, place about 40% full.) He missplayed a few then settled in. Great hops, hit some late threes. Very quick and impressive and bigger in person than on TV.

Travis Outlaw looked kinda like Martel - springy and a jumper -- but he could not hit and made several charges.

Ok, now to the rooks:

LaMarcus Aldridge - did not appear to be center material. Very skinny legs, good spring. Not physically imposing right now. Showed a nice turnaround jumper. Had trouble defending bigger players. He is a quick power forward.

Brandon Roy - physically seems bigger than listed height and weight. Looks like he's in control. Played point against a very dinky opponent, John Lucas (Lucas can't be 5'11" as listed - looked about 5'9".) Roy took slower opponents to the rim. Roy took little dudes to the rim. Roy set up plays and passed the ball (not appearing to be a true point, but could grow into one.) I thought of him in the triangle and that was a good thought. He also hit a nice three pointer, did not force his game. Looked in conrol.

Joel Freeland - for an English guy just barely introduced to the game he showed some coordination, pliability and BB skills that suprised. He was depressed he did not get more minutes, I think. He just might be able to play.

Houston: John Lucas is quick. He can shoot a little. He distributes the ball and lays down bounce passes. He complains about calls. He took 17 shots. He is QUICK, but then again he wasn't playing against NBA caliber quick opponents. Hard to tell things absolutely in this league and this first game (is he quick enough for being so small to make it. My thought: maybe.)

Lonny Baxter is a big, undersized powerforward who sets tough picks. He guarded Ha and Aldridge and held ground. He seems to know the game. He has a solid, unspectacular game. He looked to be about 28 or so (how long has he been in the league bouncing around?)

Rooks: Steve Novak can flat out shoot. And shoot. And shoot. Just like everyone says. It will remain to be seen if he can get his shot off but he has some creative skills and is coordinated laterally and he plays hard. He was able to take it to the hole but lost his dribble a couple of times to quick hands. He and Pat Carroll lit it up (albeit Carrol is not that quick, not that tough.)

This game was fairly boring except for Novak simply because it was dribble-passout-shoot the three. Final score had Houston winning but either team could have won. No game used big men or inside game except Tor/Wiz.

Game 2 - Denver blew out Dallas 113-85. Dallas didn't seem to have anyone worth mentioning and lacked quickness, size, handles etc etc. Denver was not very good either but Dallas was bad in this game. If not for the presence of 7' 5" - Pavel Podkolzin I would have gone to sleep in this game.

Dallas: A player of interest for me was Pops Mensah-Bonsu, who played hard and had spring. Ager, the draft pick, shot poorly, handled the ball unspectacularly and did not impress. Larry O'Bannon hit a few deep threes late in the game.

Denver: Casey Jacobson took it to the hole, hit outside shots, ran sets, found open men, played hard on offense. He did not seem to have much D, allbeit he expended energy; just doesn't fare well against stronger and quicker people. He is sorta like Steve Kerr but with a better move to the hole.

I must admit I liked Ron Slay's game. He was out of shape, playing against taller guys, but seemed to be the only player other than Casey with a BB IQ of any merit. He had good periferal sense and passed the ball well on breaks. Ran out of gas (again, out of shape it appeared.)

Whew - not much here. I took notes on Pavel (who had good attitude, clapping and hustling) who looked in better shape than last time I saw him on tape.

Pavel shoots, misses, get free throws. Pavel applauds teammates on bench. Pavel gropes for rebound. Pavel misses. PAVEL SHOOTS TECHNICAL FOUL FREE THROW!! Pavel encourages teammates during time outs. Pavel happy on end of bench. Pavel blocks a shot. Pavel is BIG. Pavel is very BIG.

Game 3 - My attention and insights were quickly waning after finishing off my protein bars and water. This game seemed to be Sacrament vs Minnesotta and I wrote down that Sacramento won.

Sacto:
Sean Lampley (Cal) interested me as I am an alum. He did not do much, filled space.
Francisco Garcia was of interest because I'd heard about his skill set, had not see it up close.
He proved inconsistent, making many mistakes early on and settling into a solid game down the stretch.
"Pooh" Jeter has a great name and is SMALL AND QUICK.
Quincy Douby: Skinny, fast, penetrates and dishes. Hit the "J." He's ok.
Louis Amundson, our local hero, was of major interest and a pleasant suprise. He held his own inside, showed suprising hops, played tough and a team game. If he could get his mid range jumper down I think he has a chance to play. "Kurt Rambis" with better hops came to mind. He is 6'8" I think, and looked a tad undersized. He hustles.
Surprise: Kevin Martin (who is this guy.) Skinny, plays under control. Quick and reasonably fast with big wingspan. He was high scorer but watching it felt like he was a 'team-oriented' point.

Minn:
Greg Brunner had a shaved head, shorter than listed. Wider than listed. Could not shoot. Took up space and got rebounds. I don't think he can make it in the league.
JP Batista - even bigger.
Bracey Wright was missing everything he threw up, played like an entitled two guard but was having an off night.
Randy Foye: Lotsa pub, decent and tough body, decent hands/dribble skills. Foye gave the team a lift with his strength. Unfortunately, his shooting form is not conventional (particulary on his free throws) and tho he scored 23 he did not appear to me to be a lock as a future starter in the league. He air balled a couple shots and BANKED in a three pointer. Again, seeing Foye against real NBA talent with be the only way to make an assessment. He has the body and skill set to do well in summer league but it ain't 'the bigs.'

At this point in my NBA summer adventure I almost left the Cox Pavillion and went home. I am getting older and am tired from this. Unfortunately the 4th game was the one I wanted to see:

Game 4 - Wizards vs Raptors (FEATURING Andrea Bargnani)
Bargnani IS the second coming of early Dirk Novitski. He is a pliable, coordinated, 6' 11" small forward who will play the power position and do what Dirk does eventually (just as people report.)

First shot was a dribble drive and he got a foul. He has a quick first step that makes you think he's not as tall as he is. He can dribble around in traffic.

Next two shots were deep jumpers (maybe one a three) and he swished.

I only stayed for the first half but what I saw was enough for me to make the opening statement about him. He can shoot (his form is good, his touch feathery.) He can dribble and drive. He can dish. He sees the open man (good periferal vision.) He did not show me much inside game, defense nor rebounding. But he also did not park outside and seemed willing.

I, and the entire place (now 75% full I think) were pretty astounded by his skill set. He did not look awkward nor young. But then again, he's just playing summer league opponents, right? I tell you, he reminded me of a young Dirk (but perhaps with a smoother game.)

Ah, I notice on line just now that he was selected player of the day after scoring 20.

Clearly, he and Roy were a cut above everyone on the floor today in terms of potential.

My next report will be next tuesday and much much shorter. Hope this proved useful.

Last edited by JM on Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

thanks for the report. great write up and analysis of players.
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Nice, thanks! :)

AL.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Nice JM.... thanks...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Martin was supposed to be Doug Cristie's replacement.
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject:

jminges wrote:
Kevin Martin replaced Doug Cristie.

Yeah, similar game to a 'young' Christie. Took charge in impressive manner and was long, quick and tall for a point.
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Surprised you haven't heard of Kevin Martin. He is one of Sacramento's gems. He had that game winner against San Antonio in the playoffs.

I wonder how Minn is feeling about that Roy/Foye swap. Even though it was only one game.
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:

rchanou wrote:
Surprised you haven't heard of Kevin Martin. He is one of Sacramento's gems. He had that game winner against San Antonio in the playoffs.

I wonder how Minn is feeling about that Roy/Foye swap. Even though it was only one game.

Different game. Foye is a facilitator and a bit quicker and smaller than Roy. Roy will probably play the 2. Both appear sturdy.

Didn't remember Martin's effort (watched mostly Lakes in playoffs.)
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject:

JM, amazing report man. Thanks.
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Foye put up 23 points!!!
Vencal
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Thanks JM
That was a great read. Look forward to more game reports.... if it doesn't keep you up too late past bedtime
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Vencal wrote:
Thanks JM
That was a great read. Look forward to more game reports.... if it doesn't keep you up too late past bedtime

yeah, well.
Addendum:
Two guys that looked athletic that I forgot to mention.

Andray Blatche
South Kent (Conn.) Prep School HS 248 6-11
Mad hops, as they say. Very athletic.

Kelenna Azubuike Kentucky Jr. F 220 6-5
Seemed very solid and assured. Hit a few shots late, worked hard.[/list]
ComputerBlue
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

That was great info., I was wandering about Bargnani's game - thanks for the recap!
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

roy kind of reminds me of joe johnson.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the report, I truly appriciate these type of things.

I hope there will be LG'ers doing the same at the other summer leagues (especially the SPL).

Good work.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the report. It's a lot of work you didn't have to do, but we really do appreciate it.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

thank you so much... very good report...
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:

http://www.vegassummerleague.com/
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Just adding my thanks for your effort
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Nice man, thx for it.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I had also heard (somewhere, can't find the story now) that Knicks first-round pick Renaldo Balkman hurt his knee during the game. Anyone know if that's true. Not that I want to clown the guy for getting hurt, but I do like to rub it in for the people I know who are Knicks fans.
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
I had also heard (somewhere, can't find the story now) that Knicks first-round pick Renaldo Balkman hurt his knee during the game. Anyone know if that's true. Not that I want to clown the guy for getting hurt, but I do like to rub it in for the people I know who are Knicks fans.

If you go to the SPL lounge there is a post that Balkman rolled his ankle int he game and had to leave. (I'm not there, prepping for a trip out of Vegas, just passing this along.)
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:

I watched the game he's ok.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like the Raptors picked a winner to go with Bosh.
Laker_Leo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Thanks JM. Good Read.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: