Who Gets Camp Invites from VSL 2013

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Who Gets Camp Invites from VSL 2013

We've got some pretty decent players on the years summer league squad, I say the following should get camp Invites:

Marcus Landry:
This kid has been tearing it up IMO. He can rebound, pass, defend and score, from behind the arc. He seems like a good role player, he's a twiner, but has adequate size to defend against three's in the league. He's a little undersized at the position, but has a big mentality because he's played down low before, he might have the best chance of making the team...

Elias Harris:
Very well rounded player IMO, he brings the intangible's to a team. Solid rebounder and garbage guy, reminds me a lot of a former Dantoni Player named Landry Fields. But he seems better is a better rebounder.

Lester Hudson:
Solid Backup PG. He seemed a little heavy coming in, but looks like he's working hard to slim down. If we need another backup PG, which it seems, he could make a strong case for himself. More than capable scorer and big enough to defend other PGs. Doesn't have all the speed in the world, but seems like a heady/smart type of player. He will get picked up by someone if not the Lakers. Think in terms of Raymond Felton who excelled in Danton's offense.

Douglas-Roberts:
A little disappointed in CDR, being that he almost made the team last year, and really should be killing it in the summer league. Looks like he's had some personal issues, he seems rail thin and not really into the games. His stock has dropped, I don't think he makes the team, but a camp invite...Yes.

Michael Snaer:
He's actually the most intriguing guard on the roster. His physical attributes at the G position are impressive. 6'5 202 is nothing to mess with and he's really physical on the floor as well. I would have like to see him get more involved in the games, but at times he seem to have put more pressure on himself and not have great showings... Seems like a good invite non-the-less.

D.J. Seely:

Interestingly enough this guy has some potential. I like his activity on the floor and the fact that he seems to get involved in most plays in someway. He reminds me physically of Gilbert Arenas in terms of his 6'4 190lbs frame. He's quick and has good length, enough to disrupt on defense. He's very athletic for a big guard, and that could bode well in this offense. He too is a long shot, but I think he'll get a camp invite.

Josh Selby:

Dark horse with a ton of potential...He hasn't quite put it together in transitioning his playground style of play to an NBA hardwood floor.. He has the tools but doesn't quite know how to use them... He could get a look, but he's definitely a long shot.

My prediction to make the roster for opening day out of all of these players:

Marcus Landry
Ryan Kelly

If we make a trade sending off two (2) players which I think we're going to do, then I will say:
Landry, Kelly and Hudson

Last edited by lakurluv on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject:

Hudson - Jack of all trades guard.
CDR - Favortism with Bryant's relationship, but doesn't fit D'Antoni style offense.
Landry - Easy to fit for 3/4 position with 3pt. shooting, but NBA level athleticism will hurt him defensively.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject:

I wish we had space on the roster to keep Snaer. Like the tools on this kid. Hudson has a chance. I think Blake will be shopped so having a third pg will be his chance.
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I wish we had space on the roster to keep Snaer. Like the tools on this kid. Hudson has a chance. I think Blake will be shopped so having a third pg will be his chance.

Me too! I'm really rooting for Snaer.

I suppose there's always the chance the Lakers could find a way to move both Blake and Meeks without taking anything back. If we're signing CDR, then we could use Hudson and Snaer as the 3rd string PG and SG respectively. Plus, it saves even more luxury tax money.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject:

From what I've read the most likely to get training camp invites are;
1.Landry 2.Douglas-Roberts 3.Hudson 4.Harris 5.Snaer

I see no playing time for Hudson or Snaer, though. So they might not make it through training camp if they get there in the first place, unless they would take unguaranteed contracts.

With the addition of Nick Young and Wesley Johnson, I don't see CDR making it, either.

I am pretty sure Mike D'Antoni and his brother Dan like Marcus Landry a lot because of the idea of playing him as a stretch 4. The only thing potentially stopping Landry from getting a roster spot is the signing of another back up power forward such as James Johnson, Kenyon Martin, etc.
But he is a lock for a training camp invite at the least.

I don't know how many people they are going to invite. Last year we had 20 people, but Mike Brown likes having many people (coaches and players) around. I don't think that's the same case with D'Antoni. We'll see.
slaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject:

I'm thinking they'll bring in Landry, Hudson, Harris, Snaer, & CDR who along with Williams gives them 18.

The Lakers have run 20 the last two camps & 18 before that...

D'Antoni had 4 PG's in his first 2 camps (Phx & NY) and I think he'll want to take a look at Hudson.

Snaer may be odd man out if they want to run CDR & Blake at SG in camp but he might be the 18th man.

If they want to run Nick alot at SG then it opens a spot for Harris...

If they can find a decent big body to bring in to bang with Kaman & Sacre they might since PT for Hill & Pau may be limited.

So that would be 19, I doubt they bother with any more...

I don't think you can really take anything from history (other than PG's) with D'Antoni (15 or 16 invites) as why the heck would you bother inviting camp fodder when you have prime Nash, Amare, Marion, Diaw, etc...
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject:

I think Harris gets the edge because he does everything well and he has great size.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Kelly and Harris
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject:

I only watched 3 games and followed some highlights but my favorite players are Landry, Hudson, and Harris.

I like Landry for his shooting, ability to finish around the basket on breaks, etc. I like his rotation help defense where he can come over a teammates back to block a shot, not something Metta ever did.

I like Hudson's overall game. His shot was shaky to start game 1 but he sold me from then on. I like that he was a main part of a solid team defense. He seemed to have a good handle and an understanding of how to direct the team's offense. Last season the 2 guards (and the players around them) who just finished the season did a horrible job of running the teams offense. Under Hudson, it looked very respectable.

I like Harris for his athleticism, something the team lacked at every front court position except for Howard and possibly Hill. I like his ability to finish on breaks, the youthful energy he brings on defense, mid range shot making, and his size to bang against guys like Pierce and Lebron now that Metta's gone. Without that, there's no chance. I doubt his skills are anymore raw than Earl Clark's were at the end of the bench starting last season.

I didn't see enough of Snaer, Hyman, or other newbies to make a judgment. For CDR, just no. I wanted him on the squad last season. Now I see that his outside shot is shaky at best and he's not a consistent scorer and he doesn't have the athleticism to excel at rebounding or defense, . The Lakers can't afford to keep a bench of players with marginal talent in a variety of areas (such as Sacre) unless they plan to lose to the Heat, Spurs, Warriors, Clippers, and others by 40.

I'd like to see Meeks and Blake traded for future picks or Ariza. Unless they're targeting unsigned talent from other teams (Ian Clark, shooter from Miami Heat squad), I like the defensive speed and athleticism all the summer league guys would bring.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: