JERRY BUSS MEMORIAL SERVICE 2/21/13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Are there any pics? I'm interested in seeing if Kobe and Shaq or Kobe and Magic had a moment together.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Text from Kareem's speech.

Quote:
My Eulogy for Dr. Buss

To me, the mark of a great man is not the towering monuments he’s built during his life, but the tender memories he’s left in those who remain after his life.

The fact that so many of us have come together to celebrate those tender memoriesof Jerry Buss is a testament to his greatness.

Today you will hear about his many virtues and accomplishments, both as a businessman and a family man. Rightfully so.

Jerry changed the face of professional basketball and made it possible for players like myself, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, and Kobe Bryant to play to our potential and bring championship trophies to Los Angeles.

Jerry embraced life with the same enthusiasm and energy that Magic embraced me when we beat the Clippers in his first NBA game. You know what I’m talking about.

This passion for life made Jerry a modern Renaissance Man. He was a beloved college professor, a courageous entrepreneur, and a generous philanthropist. No matter what he did, he was a success. Perhaps his greatest quality was his willingness to share his success with everyone else.

When I think of Jerry, I like to picture him at his beloved poker table where he had great success in several major tournaments. I think of him sitting there with the world’s best poker players, staring them down, and suddenly pushing all his chips into the middle and declaring with a twinkle in his eye, “All in!” That’s the way Jerry lived his life. All in, all the time.

John Steinbeck once said, “It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” But I think in the case of Jerry Buss, we will all be enjoying the bright light he cast for many years to come.

~Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

LINK

I love that Steinbeck quote, life is good.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Regarding the tribute before the Celtics game, whoever put that together did a fantastic job. It would have been so easy to over do it, but they didn't. The choice of the Green Day song was perfect. And the voice-over quotes from Dr. Buss while the light shone on his seat in his box were emotionally powerful. I still remember Kareem's last game and the resulting ceremony, and I always thought they tried to do too much. Sometimes less is more, and with the tribute to Dr. Buss, that rang true.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject:

It all seemed to fit so perfectly. Dr Buss passing early Monday morning a day after the all star weekend. Lakers had Monday and Tuesday off. Lakers beat Boston on Wednesday night. Lakers had no game on Thursday for the memorial service. This morning Dr Buss was put to rest.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Phil and Kobe

Phil and Kobe

Phil, Kobe and Dwight

Phil, Jeanie and Jerry West
KingMamba323
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I noticed Magic and Kobe didn't have any notes they spoke from their hearts. Magic knocked it out of the park.

Yeah. Noticed the same thing, J. Even Riles had notes. Magic and Kobe didn't. They both were fantsstic.

Don't forget about the great Jim Hill he had a great speech no notes but I think he had it memorized and yes that one looking douche that claims to be a Family friend had the worst one.
mishmish
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject:

who was that guy ??????????? LOL you know who i am talking about
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21
Jump to: