Minimum post count before starting a thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject:

This is genius. Consider this post a count padder.
usdane
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject:

Why not limit thread starters to moderators only. That way they have complete control That is what they want right!

On a serious note: If someone starts a bad thread it drops to the second page in no time with the level of traffic here; so what is the big deal?
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject:

usdane wrote:
Why not limit thread starters to moderators only. That way they have complete control That is what they want right!

On a serious note: If someone starts a bad thread it drops to the second page in no time with the level of traffic here; so what is the big deal?

Not necessarily. Usually gets locked before that happens. Extra work for the mods.
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject:

If it wasnt for the new policy, tonight there would have been 100 new trolly threads started during the 2nd half and 3OT periods.
usdane
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject:

Colby Briant wrote:
If it wasnt for the new policy, tonight there would have been 100 new trolly threads started during the 2nd half and 3OT periods.

Right the Suns fans are just all over this place they would surely have started 100 new treads. How did we ever survive before these new rules.
Ironicles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I totally understand why you would make that 100 posts. However I'm not one of those people who spam and I don't post a lot. There has been on 3 occasions I wanted to make a topic but couldn't because 'm not at 100, and ended up going on other Lakers boards to post it. Eventually I'll get to 100 :'(
lakerbrainiac
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Longtime lurker here also, I think it is a good idea to have it at 100, I'm not there yet.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Watson wrote:
Can we make all the people with less than 100 posts sit at the back of the bus too? And use separate water fountains? Also, they are not invited to any LakersGround events.

Same thing I was thinking. Posting discrimination. I have a dream, one day...

Serious note, I like the rule.
9volt
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
This is good news. Devil's Advocate: anyone (especially a Laker hating troll) can participate in a game thread and have at least 20 posts. It would take about 5 games or so to reach the magical number of 100 - thus giving a troll free reign to post threads that causes division within LG. I hope that in addition to the minimum post count the intent of these posts are also considered (i.e. are the posts trying to incite a rise out of true Laker fans on this board). I'm just saying...good news regardless.

It's just another deterrent. Having at least something is better than nothing.
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject:

Ironicles wrote:
I totally understand why you would make that 100 posts. However I'm not one of those people who spam and I don't post a lot. There has been on 3 occasions I wanted to make a topic but couldn't because 'm not at 100, and ended up going on other Lakers boards to post it. Eventually I'll get to 100 :'(

Keep on Truckin!
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject:

I think 100 posts is too much, you will not grow the forum this way. I mean if there is a stupid post have a moderator or voting system ban the post.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject:

usdane wrote:

I agree this is a dumb new rule.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New policy -- minimum post count before starting a thread

LarryCoon wrote:
All,

We are currently experimenting with a new feature that requires users to have at least 100 posts before they can start a new thread. After we gauge the effects of this feature we will decide whether to keep it, remove it, or change the minimum post count.

Users who pad their post count in order to get to 100 will be dealt with in the harshest manner allowable. Consider this your one and only warning not to pad your post count.

I padded my post count according to some when posting the news hear so will refrain from starting a thread.

Seems like a reasonable enough policy really.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
I think 100 posts is too much, you will not grow the forum this way.

Your premise therefore is that allowing posters who haven't contributed otherwise (either because they're new or because they're primarily lurkers) to create new threads will grow the community above and beyond their existing ability to participate in current threads. I disagree -- I doubt there's anyone out there who only would have participated via a new thread, and even if there are, they are vastly outnumbered by people following the pattern we're trying to curtail.

You're suggesting that the long-time lurker would finally get off the couch and post if he did it in a new thread, but not by contributing to an existing thread. You're suggesting that a new member would be more likely to add to the community in a new thread than an existing thread, and that this outweighs the primary negative -- new users haven't spent enough time here to understand the protocol, and in their naiveté create new threads they should not have created.

I'm not sure whether the net effect will be to encourage or discourage participation -- you can argue it both ways, and it can only be resolved through careful observation -- but I am sure that it will prevent the kind of participation we want to avoid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject:

lakerbrainiac wrote:
Longtime lurker here also, I think it is a good idea to have it at 100, I'm not there yet.

Wow, dude, 25 posts in 7 years. That's gotta be some sort of record.

Perhaps one of your children's children can inherit your account and begin starting threads when you reach the 100 post requirement. By the time that happens, the technology may allow them to simply download their thoughts directly onto the LG collective consciousness. Resistance is futile, you know. One day they will all be Laker fans.

Oh, assuming, of course, the ozone layer hasn't vanished or the talking apes and/or machines haven't inherited the earth.
datiger24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject:

almost there.
Prophet8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject:

I wanted to post something...... blast! I'm a laker fan NOT a troll
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Prophet8 wrote:
I wanted to post something...... blast! I'm a laker fan NOT a troll

you can still post cant you?

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject:

TRAPSTAR wrote:

I am going to miss the Kobe shots to much threads

However, reaching 100 posts does not necessarily correlate to increased intelligence, so we can still be surprised with said posts.
erisian
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject:

can we please bump this to 1000?

especially post-loss, the form is full of caterwauling and BS threads
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject:

divncom wrote:
C M B wrote:
This is a good start.

A reasonable next step would be to give all posters over 100 posts the ability to perform a "Citizen's Ban" on any poster deemed to be detrimental to the site--a judgement that will be completely objective, one made exclusively by the troublesome poster's peers in the specific thread, and the fate of posters who are so marked should be presented at a tribunal of ten sub-mods (any posters) who are online at any given time.

A "Citizen's Ban" shall be be enforced by the banned poster's voluntary cooperation in not posting until their fate is determined by the tribunal and the Citizen's Ban shall be reinforced by an actual ban, or, at maximum, death by firing squad.

This policy will make LG the greatest site in the world. Thanks for making it happen.

Why not take it a step further?

Let's have a 24/7 on and off patrol sub-sub mod guard to go around checking each thread for disturbances. Give them temporary ban powers and then call them in front of a sub-tribunal tribunal to see if their actions warrant the attention of a mod tribunal.

Then Lakersground will be the most overly censored and bureaucratic site in the world!

We also need some form of bullets even though this is a virtual world. Maybe we can create some kind of button to "stun" or "taze" the user remotely.

The taze function can be performed by individuals with either a join date before March 2007 or 2000 posts. These arbitrary numbers satisfy me.

I don't like your ideas. Thusly, I'm committing a citizen's ban on you. You may return in 30 years. I hope that you find a place of refuge in the internet's wilderness.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
helenzhang5
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: i love kobe, too

[spam removed]
renzo1200
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I have over 100 posts and I still can't post a new topic. What's the deallio?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
divncom wrote:
C M B wrote:
This is a good start.

A reasonable next step would be to give all posters over 100 posts the ability to perform a "Citizen's Ban" on any poster deemed to be detrimental to the site--a judgement that will be completely objective, one made exclusively by the troublesome poster's peers in the specific thread, and the fate of posters who are so marked should be presented at a tribunal of ten sub-mods (any posters) who are online at any given time.

A "Citizen's Ban" shall be be enforced by the banned poster's voluntary cooperation in not posting until their fate is determined by the tribunal and the Citizen's Ban shall be reinforced by an actual ban, or, at maximum, death by firing squad.

This policy will make LG the greatest site in the world. Thanks for making it happen.

Let's have a 24/7 on and off patrol sub-sub mod guard to go around checking each thread for disturbances. Give them temporary ban powers and then call them in front of a sub-tribunal tribunal to see if their actions warrant the attention of a mod tribunal.

Then Lakersground will be the most overly censored and bureaucratic site in the world!

We also need some form of bullets even though this is a virtual world. Maybe we can create some kind of button to "stun" or "taze" the user remotely.

The taze function can be performed by individuals with either a join date before March 2007 or 2000 posts. These arbitrary numbers satisfy me.

I don't like your ideas. Thusly, I'm committing a citizen's ban on you. You may return in 30 years. I hope that you find a place of refuge in the internet's wilderness.

I don't get it. You mean everyone doesn't get to ban people?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
C M B wrote:
divncom wrote:
C M B wrote:
This is a good start.

I don't get it. You mean everyone doesn't get to ban people?

I'd ban you for this, if I could.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
Jump to: