What changes or improvements would you like to see on LakersGround?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject:

Message boards with images and signature images, flash videos embedded, animated gifs, etc can get really cluttered. Although it may be content, you can always post a link to it.

If you choose to go the route that allows images, videos to be displayed, I am hoping that like the avatars, there's a way to disable in the preferences. Otherwise, I would have trouble finding a reason to browse the site during working hours.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject:

The_Lakers_Show wrote:
Would that carry over as a Blackberry app as well?

It's iPhone specific. However, maybe we can look into an app for Blackberry phones, too.

JUST-MING wrote:
Not to "go on record" that this is a bad idea, but I agree with those asking to eliminate the ".gif" profile pics.

Odd, I've never experienced LG slowing down based on .gif profile pics. Only time avatars were an issue for loading times was when I was browsing on my phone.

Although this may not be an ideal solution, you could turn off/hide avatars by going in your profile and disabling them.

Watson wrote:
I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I use a mac(firefox), and on any website other than LG i can hold 'command' and click on a link, and it opens in a new tab, without affecting the current tab. But on LG (If I am in a forum, and command-click to a thread), both tabs navigate through the link, so then i have to wait for the current tab to load the new page, then hit the back button, and wait for it to reload the old page-OR remember that on LG only i need to hold down the control button, click and hold on the link, drag down to 'open in a new tab' (I never remember, because I always command-click on other websites) If anyone has a solution for this (other than dont use a mac/firefox) or if the site could be changed to support this i would really appreciate it...

I remember this being brought up in User Feedback in the past. Here's the thread -- link

Doesn't seem like there is a solution to it (unless apparently we remove the ability to click anywhere in the thread title/box to open the thread).

Quote:
gametime chat room >>>>>>>> game thread. i dont even look at the game threads... too slow. chat rooms are great because you can root/cheer and react in realtime, have conversations, jokes etc. would have to be well modded though. justin.tv chatrooms are good example (when they show games)

Yeah, moderating that would be tough, imo. We all want to watch the game, and so if we add in a chat room (while also leaving game threads), that could take a lot of work to keep the chaos down to a minimum.

Quote:
100 posts to start a thread: I don't really like this idea. Will most certainly lead to post padding. I think people will be more bothered by the rampant post padding than the occasional locked thread, and i think the mods will have more work to do if they want to cut out all the post-padding. Plus some people don't like to post unless they think they have something interesting to say- for example i have been on here 8+ years but only about 300 posts. Also occasionally there are real lakers insiders (agents/staff) that come on here rarely but post something really interesting that we'd all like to see... they probably wouldn't take the time to do any post padding if that was required.

The post padding can be identified (report function helps) and dealt with. It's not too hard to spot someone post padding. If we don't spot them, and they quickly post pad their way to 100 posts and start a thread, it's easy to see their join date, number of posts, and figure out what happened after a quick glance at post history.

Often times, especially post-game, many new members create redundant threads, when it's not necessary. And if there are posters who don't post unless it's something interesting, they could still just post in existing threads.

As far as insiders, again, same thing. They can post in existing threads. Or, if they really want to start a new thread, they can PM one of us telling us what they know and that they would like to share it.

Quote:
what about some sort of rating system where members who are logged in can vote (once per member) on each post and each topic like stars on a scale from 1 to 5, then ability to collapse by rating. for example i might default my account to not display any posts rated < 1.5 stars when reading a thread (unless i click 'unhide'), or any topics rated < 2 stars when in a forum. for a really long thread with lots and lots of replies i might want to see the 'highlights' by only displaying posts rated >4 stars.

also rating system could be kind of a early-indicator for the mods of trolling, spam etc; might give more dimensions than the reporting system
mods could look at average ratings for posts by member

Probably hard to implement. And, imo, could lead to flame wars if posters start giving other posters they don't like low ratings every time they post.

Honestly though, we catch trolls/spammers pretty quickly. And the few times we miss them, posters are quick to report them and bring it to our attention.

joeblow wrote:
A number of Laker-related threads are moved to other forums because they determined to be off-topic for the lounge. I think the Laker Lounge should be more general to allow just about any Laker-related topic.

Often times posters will try and spin a topic to make it "fit" into the Lounge and "Laker-related".

For example, "Who are the greatest players of all-time?"

Well, sure, you could Magic and Kobe in there, but it's really more of a general topic which just so happens to include a Laker. The original post tends to be more general, as is the topic as a whole.

Now, if someone was more specific and said "Is Kobe one of the greatest of all-time", followed that up with a specific argument in the original post, it's applicable to the Lounge.

Subtle difference, but that's the type of thing we see all the time.

Quote:
For example, why not talk about Lamar's wedding in Laker's Lounge? That's the first place I looked when I came here to read comments, but it is instead in the off-topic forum, which I rarely if ever go to unless I want to see the latest youtube video on singing cats or something.

I mean, Richard Jefferson's wedding woes were in the General Basketball forum, but Odom's wedding news is in off-topic because he's a Laker? That makes no sense.

I'm not sure why it's in OT. Maybe because it's just gossip, I don't know.

lakez34 wrote:
If you choose to go the route that allows images, videos to be displayed, I am hoping that like the avatars, there's a way to disable in the preferences.

Based on the feedback in this thread, I think there is a definite demand for embedded images/videos. However, there also are enough people opposed to it that we would need to make sure it's done right, i.e. option to display embedded pics/vids as links first, and only show within the post after clicking them.
don ford
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject:

Ability to rate comments.

Not only for the utility of knowing which comments are more worth reading.

It also serves as a sort of self-policing quality control device, because then posters are peer-incentivized to produce better posts. (Higher quality, less juvenile, etc.)
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Agree with like / dislike ratings for comments.
Agree with live boxscore.
Agree with imbedded pics IF they are of a standard size.
Disagree with vids (post a link).
NO NO NO to pics and vids in signatures! To much unnecessary BS!
Love the current layout! Like the lack of clutter.
Would like a seperate forum just for in game threads. Would make it easier to post in Laker Lounge if in game.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Agree with like / dislike ratings for comments.
Agree with live boxscore.
Agree with imbedded pics IF they are of a standard size.
Disagree with vids (post a link).
NO NO NO to pics and vids in signatures! To much unnecessary BS!
Love the current layout! Like the lack of clutter.
Would like a seperate forum just for in game threads. Would make it easier to post in Laker Lounge if in game.

Forgot something.
I am on a football chat board and they break the game threads into quarters. They lock the first quarter thread and unlock the second (and so on) to make it easier for the server to reload the thread (they say, I am not a server guru). Not sure if it works or we want to try it but it is a thought.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I disagree with this notion that graphics and video do not equal content.

Am I to understand that CNN.com is devoid of content because it has graphics and video?

Does this mean that YouTube is entirely "content" free?

I fail to see how a video or photo that demonstrates a great play or a bad call is not "content".

Same with a creative signature banner.

This is a sport team fan site after all.

I don't mean to be obtuse, but we are well into the 21st century here. Content is defined by more than written word.

While I agree that we are obviously past the written word in terms of content, I do believe that what makes Lakersground.net the best Lakers Forum on the Net is the cleanliness and professional way in which it is presented. I am members to plenty of sites that allow pictures in sigs, and embedded video and it becomes a clutter. Is it really so difficult to link somebody to Youtube for video? Let's not forget that the primary purpose of a "forum" is to discuss things. While I agree that pictures and video can help to illustrate a point, linking to an outside source is not very difficult.

Perhaps that can be some sort of privilege given to only members who have proven not to abuse the ability. People like DB, or the guys who mix their own videos and music. The mods, etc. A special dispensation from the people who run the site, like you.

I am absolutely against pictures in the sigs. Unless there is a very clear limit on how big, but even then it's problematic. You have to scroll twice as much as you would normally to read posts because everybody's got this huge sig that takes up more space than what they've written. It just clutters things up and to me it's a mess. Part of what makes me come to LG is the lack of sigs, and how everything is much cleaner.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
1. Embedding images/pics - For those against this (and it is a legitimate argument), what if users had the option to show/hide the pics/videos as was earlier described? The way I envision it, if you choose the hide option, the links would show up as they do now, maybe with the text reading "Watch Video / View Pic", and only when you click on it would the pic/vid drop down in the post. You would get to maintain things as they are now, with the benefit of viewing the pics/vid in the post as opposed to having a new window open. For those who choose the show option, the pics/vid will automatically be embedded in the post.

I would like to know how this would be done in regards to new members signing up. I mean...what would be the default option. You would have to create a page that clearly explains that process to any new members when they sign up. It would have to be part of the sign up process. If you guys were willing to do that work, I can see that as being a nice addition.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Watson wrote:
I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I use a mac(firefox), and on any website other than LG i can hold 'command' and click on a link, and it opens in a new tab, without affecting the current tab. But on LG (If I am in a forum, and command-click to a thread), both tabs navigate through the link, so then i have to wait for the current tab to load the new page, then hit the back button, and wait for it to reload the old page-OR remember that on LG only i need to hold down the control button, click and hold on the link, drag down to 'open in a new tab' (I never remember, because I always command-click on other websites) If anyone has a solution for this (other than dont use a mac/firefox) or if the site could be changed to support this i would really appreciate it...

Thank you, this happens to me all the time. I don't use a mac so I can right click still to open a new tab and it doesn't do that. It only does it when you hold the CTRL button and then click. It takes the current page to the new link and the newly opened tab also. That would be a wonderful fix. I've never had this problem on ANY other website. I don't see why it's important that you can click anywhere in the post box. I mean, every forum on the web, you have to actually click the link.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:

That reminds me of a suggestion I had earlier this past season. The idea was to have a forum for game threads and in-game reaction threads. This way, the Lounge would be a little less chaotic / cluttered (until the game ends at least), and posters would have a place to create new threads discussing plays that are happening during the game.

Quote:
Forgot something. I am on a football chat board and they break the game threads into quarters. They lock the first quarter thread and unlock the second (and so on) to make it easier for the server to reload the thread (they say, I am not a server guru). Not sure if it works or we want to try it but it is a thought.

Ever since the site upgraded the server, I think load times even with a lot of traffic on the site, for example during games, haven't been an issue.

LakerJosh wrote:
Tony Almeida wrote:
1. Embedding images/pics - For those against this (and it is a legitimate argument), what if users had the option to show/hide the pics/videos as was earlier described? The way I envision it, if you choose the hide option, the links would show up as they do now, maybe with the text reading "Watch Video / View Pic", and only when you click on it would the pic/vid drop down in the post. You would get to maintain things as they are now, with the benefit of viewing the pics/vid in the post as opposed to having a new window open. For those who choose the show option, the pics/vid will automatically be embedded in the post.

I would like to know how this would be done in regards to new members signing up. I mean...what would be the default option. You would have to create a page that clearly explains that process to any new members when they sign up. It would have to be part of the sign up process. If you guys were willing to do that work, I can see that as being a nice addition

I'm sorry, could you clarify what you're asking?

As everyone knows, this is how things currently are:

link to picture

link to video

The way I think it would be win-win for everyone would be to implement embedded images / videos in posts, but with the option for users (in their profile / settings) to disable images / videos to automatically show up in posts. So, with that option, the linked videos / pics would show up exactly as they are now, just links. But if they click on the link, then the picture / video would show up in the post to view.

If you choose in your profile settings to "show" embedded pics /videos, then the linked pics / videos will automatically be displayed in posts.

An addition that would go well with this idea would be setting a standard size for pics (automatically re-sizing them), imo.

The option to automatically show / hide embedded content would be available to all members, new or existing, and can be changed whenever they want (just like displaying or hiding avatars).
Edienstag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Allowing politics in Off Topic would be nice.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: What changes or improvements would you like to see on LakersGround?

The ability to post video's and photos in our messages.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject:

Interesting things that I've seen on other boards that would be nice.
Recommend a post. Some posts are truly useful, and people could recommend them for each thread. The user can then sort the most recommended ones first. It would help when people want information instead of sometimes people with "me too" type messages blended in.
VICE1954
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject:

IM JUST GLAD TO BE ABLE TO READ GOOD LAKER NEWS.CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START.BEN A FAN SINCE 1964.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

This board has done just fine with content limited to written words. Having drunk, immature, or over-excited posters dropping stupid images and videos into posts is not "content."

The assumption is that only stupid images and videos will be posted and that drunken idiots don't already pollute this place at times with stupid words that don't equate to content either.

Quote:
How many posts have you written in recent months that truly would have benefited from a picture? What are we going to get? Shots of Kobe dunking, or Gasol in his Spanish National Team jersey, or Artest running his mouth to the media? Who needs it?

How many posts have been written about banal trivia or meaningless crap like what awards show Kobe went to? Or whether Sasha got a haircut. Or what singer Ron hung out with in China?

This idea that the written word has so much more merit than visual imagery is ridiculous. Both have value. Both can be prone to the ludicrous.

Quote:
You can provide a link, and the people who want to see the image can click the link.

Why make people load another window to go off site.

Just like posts, if you don't want to read them, skip them. You don't want to see an image, you can similarly scroll down the page.

Quote:

Great. More work for the mods,

The mods asked for what additional features people would like to se and several have said the ability to share pictures. It's not going to create any additional work that doesn't already exist reviewing posts for their written content.

Quote:
and more whining from people who think they ought to be able to insert 5-10 images into a post or whatever. It would add nothing but headaches.

I moderated a Lakers forum for a long time that allowed this type of content and whose membership and visits more than rivaled LG. There was no more headache in doing so with photos allowed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerJosh wrote:

While I agree that we are obviously past the written word in terms of content, I do believe that what makes Lakersground.net the best Lakers Forum on the Net is the cleanliness and professional way in which it is presented. I am members to plenty of sites that allow pictures in sigs, and embedded video and it becomes a clutter. Is it really so difficult to link somebody to Youtube for video? Let's not forget that the primary purpose of a "forum" is to discuss things. While I agree that pictures and video can help to illustrate a point, linking to an outside source is not very difficult.

Perhaps that can be some sort of privilege given to only members who have proven not to abuse the ability. People like DB, or the guys who mix their own videos and music. The mods, etc. A special dispensation from the people who run the site, like you.

I am absolutely against pictures in the sigs. Unless there is a very clear limit on how big, but even then it's problematic. You have to scroll twice as much as you would normally to read posts because everybody's got this huge sig that takes up more space than what they've written. It just clutters things up and to me it's a mess. Part of what makes me come to LG is the lack of sigs, and how everything is much cleaner.

I can certainly see why graphic signatures may be going a bit far. But I know from experience that photographic imagery can be worthwhile content and not just clutter. If clutter is an issue, let's see more crackdown on pointless posts that provide little content and simply provide nothing meaningful and bury decent threads under tabloid gossip.

If cleanliness and professionalism are the goals, then let's be honest, photos aren't going to get in the way of that any more than the meaningless dribble of the written word already does at times.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
Interesting things that I've seen on other boards that would be nice.
Recommend a post. Some posts are truly useful, and people could recommend them for each thread. The user can then sort the most recommended ones first. It would help when people want information instead of sometimes people with "me too" type messages blended in.

I like this idea. Sometimes with the really long threads, posters complain they can't find the most relevant information / posts, this could solve that issue.

VICE1954 wrote:
IM JUST GLAD TO BE ABLE TO READ GOOD LAKER NEWS.CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START.BEN A FAN SINCE 1964.

Welcome to the board!

DaMuleRules wrote:
I can certainly see why graphic signatures may be going a bit far.

Seems to me, based on this thread, most posters are against the graphic signatures, fairly split on embedding images/video, but if those against it have the option to hide or turn them off as earlier described, would no longer be opposed to it.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject:

The site's internal clock seems to be about 15 minutes slow. Since the new season is about to be upon us, it would be nice if this issue could be fixed since it will be much harder to tell if new things have been posted if I have to always remember that the time on the site is slow.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:

Seems to me, based on this thread, most posters are against the graphic signatures, fairly split on embedding images/video, but if those against it have the option to hide or turn them off as earlier described, would no longer be opposed to it.

I wouldn't mind graphic signatures if I could turn them off. same thing for images/video in posts.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
RePLAY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject:

My 2 cents. Posting pix and video would be great. I "troll" Spurstalk.com frequently and thier setup is great there. You can post youtube clips by simply using [youtube][/youtube]. Having the pix or vid that we are converisng about would be great to have on site.
Mike D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject:

VBulletin would be awesome.

prisma8slg wrote:
Tony Almeida wrote:

I wouldn't mind graphic signatures if I could turn them off. same thing for images/video in posts.

An option with VBulletin is to turn off signatures and those sorts of things.

Last edited by Mike D on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject:

RePLAY wrote:
My 2 cents. Posting pix and video would be great. I "troll" Spurstalk.com frequently and thier setup is great there. You can post youtube clips by simply using [youtube][/youtube]. Having the pix or vid that we are converisng about would be great to have on site.

Absolutely. I actually think the stuff that LG DOES allow (avatars, sigs) clutters the site a lot more than the stuff they don't (pics, vids)...and the latter can be very useful. The former rarely are.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject:

Media day thread would have been great if we were able to post pics.
RePLAY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Media day thread would have been great if we were able to post pics.

exaclty...wouldnt it be great to go to the thread and just see all the pix instead of clicking each link one at a time.
StuLantz#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I'm totally for a Lakersground chatroom to sit in on during the game. The daily game thread is fine, and I've gone back to look at it too, but there has to be a better alternative. The game thread freezes up a lot when there's a lot of traffic (which is common), and it takes too long to create a post, submit, and wait for it to go through. Something closer to realtime would enhance the game watching experience and make it easier to participate in.

Not sure how practical it is to add a game chatroom, or what the bandwidth implications are, but if it's something within reason I think it would be a big improvement.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

If clutter is an issue, let's see more crackdown on pointless posts that provide little content and simply provide nothing meaningful and bury decent threads under tabloid gossip.

Damn, im gonna get rubbed out quick.

!...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9
Jump to: