What changes or improvements would you like to see on LakersGround?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phayze one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
vBulletin: My understanding of vBulletin vs. php is that vBulletin is costly (whereas php is free), and making the switch would take a lot of work. What are some of the benefits of vBulletin would provide vs. what we currently have?

It is definitely a lot of work to switch over, and I can already see all the headaches the staff would have from people complaining about something different. In my perfect world LG would have already been on VB...

The BIGGEST feature that PHP lacks right now, and hopefully could be added, is a thread preview function.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Automatic ban if you create a thread titled "[player's name] anyone?"
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:

Especially when they clearly aren't realistically available with the Lakers current trade/FA situation and/or are a player who "available" but doesn't really fit.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
wildcat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Can we get rid of that ad on the bottom of the page? I can't figure out how to turn off its sound.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I disagree with this notion that graphics and video do not equal content.

Am I to understand that CNN.com is devoid of content because it has graphics and video?

Does this mean that YouTube is entirely "content" free?

I fail to see how a video or photo that demonstrates a great play or a bad call is not "content".

Same with a creative signature banner.

This is a sport team fan site after all.

I don't mean to be obtuse, but we are well into the 21st century here. Content is defined by more than written word.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to see LG move to VBulletin format, where users can subscribe to threads and keep up with those threads based on subscription.

I don't know how many times I've posted in a thread, but due to the large amount of "new threads" created, I can never keep up with the responses that were made in the thread I posted in and have to search based on my own posts.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
purple mr. nice guy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject:

1) Please allow ability to embed vids.

2) Pics are fine as long as avatars/images don't become a TA fest.

Honestly a lot photoshops are funny and really creative, but I find sites that do this just invite flamers and/or make it more about individual than message. Plus naked chicks or really crass photoshops every other post (it will happen) just really dumb downs the message board and is not cool for work, imo.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Admit that Ventura is actually Kobe in disguise!!
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Marty wrote:
I agree. Content >>> Graphics.

Personally, I don't like too many graphics on a page. It may look "fancy" but at the end of the day, we still prefer meaty, reliable content.

About video embedding, maybe we can have an AJAX feature where a user has an option to "watch" it on the same page, a la reddit. If a user clicks on "WATCH" the video shows up below without having to reload the page or leaving the site.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea to be able to post videos in a post. I wonder if it's possible to set it up so that when someone links a video in a post, the youtube box doesn't show up in the post (rather, just a link that says "video link" or "watch") until a user clicks on the link, after which the youtube video displays in the post and can be viewed without leaving the site. Kind of like a toggle to hide/unhide the youtube box. I don't know if that's what you were describing, but I think that would be ideal as the video wouldn't take up space in the thread unless someone clicks to watch it.

Lakers999 wrote:
also a private member section where we can pay a minimal fee and pretty much anything Goes

Even if I didn't read who wrote this post, I would have guessed it was you.

ecksor wrote:
How about a chat room instead of a game thread? Sometimes you just don't see some of the posts because of how many are posted right after a great/horrible play.

I personally like game threads vs. chat rooms because you can later go back through game threads and old posts, which is always rather interesting. Just my opinion though.

phayze one wrote:
It is definitely a lot of work to switch over, and I can already see all the headaches the staff would have from people complaining about something different. In my perfect world LG would have already been on VB...

The BIGGEST feature that PHP lacks right now, and hopefully could be added, is a thread preview function.

I wonder if there is a php mod/hack that can implement a thread preview function. I think that would be useful.

RetroNikes wrote:

wildcat wrote:
Can we get rid of that ad on the bottom of the page? I can't figure out how to turn off its sound.

I remember this being an issue in the past. I thought it was resolved. link

Can you describe the ad?

DaMuleRules wrote:
I disagree with this notion that graphics and video do not equal content.

Am I to understand that CNN.com is devoid of content because it has graphics and video?

Does this mean that YouTube is entirely "content" free?

I fail to see how a video or photo that demonstrates a great play or a bad call is not "content".

Same with a creative signature banner.

This is a sport team fan site after all.

I don't mean to be obtuse, but we are well into the 21st century here. Content is defined by more than written word.

You are right that pics/vid are content. The concern that some have had in the past is that if we allow embedding pics/video in posts, it could take away from discussion, as threads may get filled up with pics/vid, and other posters may not want to participate in actual discussion/debate.

Personally, and this is just a possible compromise/solution, is to have the ability to embed video as I suggested, with the ability to toggle the box display on/off, and for pic, have a dimensions limit (obviously not too small, but not so big that a few pics in a post makes the page unreadable) that automatically resizes embedded pics to those specifications. Not sure if it's possible to do it like that though.
fadeaway8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject:

A lot of popular forums allow embedding images, I don't think embedding video is necessary though, most videos are youtube links anyway. As far as content, the mods still have control of what images can and can't be posted. So you guys still can remove images that don't abide the forum rules. The ClubLakers allows images in posts and signatures, and its fine. If not everywhere, at least allow images to be posted in the Multimedia area.

I think Kobe should have his own subforum for all the Kobe fanatatics out there.

others things I agree on:

RSS (Please!)
LG iPhone app (Clublakers has one, but it sux)
Min. Post Count (100)
Quote System Overhaul

If switching to another forum, I like invision boards better than vBulletin. VBulletin is also great though. But as for free forums, phpBB is probably the best. There is a phpBB conversion tool in vBulletin that makes the switch that much easier. It'll convert members, posts, threads, etc. from phpBB to vBulletin.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
I'd like to see LG move to VBulletin format, where users can subscribe to threads and keep up with those threads based on subscription.

I don't know how many times I've posted in a thread, but due to the large amount of "new threads" created, I can never keep up with the responses that were made in the thread I posted in and have to search based on my own posts.

I don't know how helpful this would be with regard to this suggestion, but Ex actually added something in awhile back that I found useful. If you click on the trophy right before/next to a thread title, it will take you to the first new post since you last clicked on the thread / newest posts since your last visit.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

purple mr. nice guy wrote:
2) Pics are fine as long as avatars/images don't become a TA fest.

Not my fault if everyone loves me and wants to show it in their avatars/images.

Quote:
Honestly a lot photoshops are funny and really creative, but I find sites that do this just invite flamers and/or make it more about individual than message. Plus naked chicks or really crass photoshops every other post (it will happen) just really dumb downs the message board and is not cool for work, imo.

That's a good point. I think if we did decide to embed pics in posts, we would have to have to keep an eye out for that sort of thing, as LG is a family site.
Boybees
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Fewer idiots.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject:

If you do decide to allow images in posts, I'd like it if quoted posts do not also include the image, and that there are no images in signatures. That is what really clogs the page and makes everything really hard to read.

Overall, though, I prefer no images. People, unfortunately, cannot be expected to police themselves in content or amounts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
phayze one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Even if embedded images are allowed, there will still (probably) be an option in your control panel to display them as links if you prefer.

Another neat thing that VB has that I wish PHP had is the ability to view how many posts each user has in a single thread.

Ok, I admit I just want to see who the biggest post whore in PDTP is.
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Faster deletion of troll posts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject:

phayze one wrote:

You have 2947 posts. With this one, does it mean you have 2946 posts in PDTP?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject:

fadeaway8 wrote:
A lot of popular forums allow embedding images, I don't think embedding video is necessary though, most videos are youtube links anyway. As far as content, the mods still have control of what images can and can't be posted. So you guys still can remove images that don't abide the forum rules. The ClubLakers allows images in posts and signatures, and its fine. If not everywhere, at least allow images to be posted in the Multimedia area.

The problem for embedding images that don't abide by forum rules, is by the time we can remove it, the "damage" would already have been done (say people were at work, or some of our younger members were viewing the site). Now, if there was a toggle/option that could give users the choice of whether they want to view images directly in the post, or leave it as a link, that could solve that issue.

Quote:
I think Kobe should have his own subforum for all the Kobe fanatatics out there.

We already try not to have too many subforums, and making another one specifically for one Laker, is not something we would do.

Quote:
If switching to another forum, I like invision boards better than vBulletin. VBulletin is also great though. But as for free forums, phpBB is probably the best. There is a phpBB conversion tool in vBulletin that makes the switch that much easier. It'll convert members, posts, threads, etc. from phpBB to vBulletin.

The easier, the better. While I'm not sure we would make the move to vBulletin (cost is of course a factor), good to know there is a conversion tool that would make the process a bit easier if we ever chose to go that route.

Boybees wrote:
Fewer idiots.

Every message board has them. We try to minimize our share of posters who are a net negative for the board.

encina1 wrote:
If you do decide to allow images in posts, I'd like it if quoted posts do not also include the image, and that there are no images in signatures. That is what really clogs the page and makes everything really hard to read.

Overall, though, I prefer no images. People, unfortunately, cannot be expected to police themselves in content or amounts.

That would be something to look into along with the quoting structure.

Speaking of which, I just realized I would like the "multi-quote" function. It's not terribly necessary or something that I've needed in the past, but quoting different posts would be much easier with that function.

phayze one wrote:
Even if embedded images are allowed, there will still (probably) be an option in your control panel to display them as links if you prefer.

Another neat thing that VB has that I wish PHP had is the ability to view how many posts each user has in a single thread.

If that option is available, I think that really helps the case for embedding images from my perspective.

And my guess is the biggest post whore in PDTP is 24, he's a pro. Although, word on the street is you've been challenging him for that status.
SlickVic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I love the clean look of LG however I do wish there was the ability to view images within a post instead of having to click a link/open a new tab. I know lot of boards make auto-thumbnails of images when posted so it doesn't take up the whole screen.

As per other suggestions, I think a game chat wouldn't be a bad idea. People just post so quickly in those that by the time you post you see like 50 new replies often times saying the exact same thing. I'm not saying it should replace the game thread, just have it as another option.

Also, +1 vote for a machine emoticon.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I think this board has too many lawyers on it. I say we remove them.

---George Carlin
SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject:

the ability to post pictures in your post and having that show up automatically. of course the picture should be SFW and not contain graphical nor inappropriate content
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject:

SP_Fever wrote:
the ability to post pictures in your post and having that show up automatically. of course the picture should be SFW and not contain graphical nor inappropriate content

Well then what's the point?

Boobs!
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject:

How about a ticker that announces when the next Lakers' game is and who the opponent is?

Something like: LA Lakers v. Golden State Warriors in 1 day, 22 hours, 44 seconds.

Each time you log onto LG, it shows you when the next game is in real time. (Helps for Lakers' fans that are not in the US - mainly because of the time zone difference).
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Mafia Wars and Farmville

Embedded image & video

Like & Dislike buttons

Social Security Accounts for posters. Let's say LG makes $20/day in ad revenue. I want to be able to withdraw my proper share, which is at least $0.50/day.

Calorie Counter & BMI Calculator

Large USA flags in the LG logo. Is this an American website or isn't it? Show some patriotism, damn you, and there's only one way to show patriotism: huge (bleep) USA flags.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject:

An enter-at-your-own-risk politics forum. Not something completely devoid of rules, such as no personal attacks and such.

Quite a number of us have been here a while, and you get to know a bunch of people, in an internet sense, and it would be nice to discuss some of those issues, where they wouldn't affect the other forums.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: