Best or Top 5 QBs of all time....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Best or Top 5 QBs of all time....

Peter King put a list of the Top QBs of all time, and surprise surprise, I disagree. Here's his list:

Quote:
1. Otto Graham. Easy. Ten seasons, seven championships, seven passing titles.

2. Sammy Baugh. Had the best season of any player ever in 1943. Led the NFL in passing, punting and, as one of the best safeties in football, in interceptions.

3. Joe Montana. Made everyone copy Walsh's high-tech offense, and won four titles in a decade.

4. Johnny Unitas. First great modern quarterback, and great in the clutch. He'd be higher if he won more than one title in his last 14 seasons.

5. Brett Favre. Most durable, most productive quarterback of all time. Marred by only one title.

6. Peyton Manning. Could break every record if Favre ever retires. Needs another championship or two to climb the list.

7. John Elway. Two titles, though they came late, capped the career of a Unitas-type with legs.

8. Dan Marino. Prototype dropback quarterback who, arguably, was the model for the pocket quarterback of the last 40 years.

9. Roger Staubach. Might be the best player/athlete/leader of a quarterback ever, and he edges Steve Young in my book with a second title and three more title-game appearances.

10. Tom Brady. Three Super Bowl wins by age 27, and a fourth appearance at 30.

11. Bart Starr. All he did was win -- five NFL titles, including the first two Super Bowl titles, both ending with him being MVP.

12. Terry Bradshaw. Rebounded from a horrible start to his career to lead the Steelers to four Super Bowls in six years.

First, I don't see how you have Favre ahead of Peyton, Elway, or Marino. Hell, I think I take Steve Young ahead of Favre, and he isn't even listed.

Because I'm only go by the QBs I've seen, here's my Top 5:

1. Montana
2. Elway (it pains me to put Elway 2nd as a Raider fan, but game recognize game)
3. Marino (probably my all time favorite QB)
4. Manning
5. Young

Thoughts...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject:

Otto Graham? Baugh? Obviously he's not taking eras into consideration, which is ridiculous.

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Otto Graham? Baugh? Obviously he's not taking eras into consideration, which is ridiculous.

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

Favre ahead of Montana? Really???? Not to mention Manning???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject:

Troy Aikman
Tommy Maddox
Steve Bono
Cade McNown
Gary Beban
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
Troy Aikman
Tommy Maddox
Steve Bono
Cade McNown
Gary Beban
Do I detect a theme here
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Troy Aikman
Tommy Maddox
Steve Bono
Cade McNown
Gary Beban
Do I detect a theme here

3 of those QBs have rings
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

I go with who's done more with less. Favre had Sterling for a short time, and he's never really had any great receivers. Manning's had Marv and now Reg, and Montana had the GOATWR.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

I go with who's done more with less. Favre had Sterling for a short time, and he's never really had any great receivers. Manning's had Marv and now Reg, and Montana had the GOATWR.
YEa, he's thrown MORE inception then anybody that has played the game
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

Dude's a gunslinger...but that's also because he's played the most.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject:

He has Favre ahead of Marino AND Elway? What the crap?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
He has Favre ahead of Marino AND Elway? What the crap?
Seriously...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

Same can be said about the number of TDs he's toss... he has the record simply because he played the longest....
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject:

I like Tach's list...much as it pains me to put Elway as #2 (as a Broncos fan).
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
TACH wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Troy Aikman
Tommy Maddox
Steve Bono
Cade McNown
Gary Beban
Do I detect a theme here

3 of those QBs have rings

my top 10 would be:

6. Montana
7. Elway
8. Unitas
9. Manning
10. Otto Graham

(I've never seen Graham or Unitas play (obviously), but I guess they were pretty good)
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

Same can be said about the number of TDs he's toss... he has the record simply because he played the longest....

And that - longevity - in itself is a feat, ESPECIALLY at such a violent sport and ESPECIALLY at being a sitting duck due to the position he plays.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Best or Top 5 QBs of all time....

TACH wrote:
Peter King put a list of the Top QBs of all time, and surprise surprise, I disagree. Here's his list:

Quote:
1. Otto Graham. Easy. Ten seasons, seven championships, seven passing titles.

2. Sammy Baugh. Had the best season of any player ever in 1943. Led the NFL in passing, punting and, as one of the best safeties in football, in interceptions.

3. Joe Montana. Made everyone copy Walsh's high-tech offense, and won four titles in a decade.

4. Johnny Unitas. First great modern quarterback, and great in the clutch. He'd be higher if he won more than one title in his last 14 seasons.

5. Brett Favre. Most durable, most productive quarterback of all time. Marred by only one title.

6. Peyton Manning. Could break every record if Favre ever retires. Needs another championship or two to climb the list.

7. John Elway. Two titles, though they came late, capped the career of a Unitas-type with legs.

8. Dan Marino. Prototype dropback quarterback who, arguably, was the model for the pocket quarterback of the last 40 years.

9. Roger Staubach. Might be the best player/athlete/leader of a quarterback ever, and he edges Steve Young in my book with a second title and three more title-game appearances.

10. Tom Brady. Three Super Bowl wins by age 27, and a fourth appearance at 30.

11. Bart Starr. All he did was win -- five NFL titles, including the first two Super Bowl titles, both ending with him being MVP.

12. Terry Bradshaw. Rebounded from a horrible start to his career to lead the Steelers to four Super Bowls in six years.

First, I don't see how you have Favre ahead of Peyton, Elway, or Marino. Hell, I think I take Steve Young ahead of Favre, and he isn't even listed.

Because I'm only go by the QBs I've seen, here's my Top 5:

1. Montana
2. Elway (it pains me to put Elway 2nd as a Raider fan, but game recognize game)
3. Marino (probably my all time favorite QB)
4. Manning
5. Young

Thoughts...

I agree on the top 3, in that order, but I think Manning, Young, Favre, Unitis, Aikman, Brady, and company are all in a race for the other slots in the top 10. As a Bear fan, I hate Favre, but I gotta think he's at least a strong contender for top 5, if not outright in.

I think I'll just follow his lead and put him in there, then take him out, then put him back in, then discuss not putting him in...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

And that - longevity - in itself is a feat, ESPECIALLY at such a violent sport and ESPECIALLY at being a sitting duck due to the position he plays.
All QB's are sitting ducks... he gets no points for that... but you can deduct points for abusing pain killers for two season (his own admission), which allowed him to make all his starts.

As for his receivers, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver, and Robert Brooks were All Pro/ProBowl WRs when they played with Favre, so the WRs argue doesn't hold....
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

All QB's are sitting ducks... he gets no points for that... but you can deduct points for abusing pain killers for two season (his own admission), which allowed him to make all his starts.

As for his receivers, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver, and Robert Brooks were All Pro/ProBowl WRs when they played with Favre, so the WRs argue doesn't hold....

No, you missed my point...I'm not giving him points for being a sitting duck...I'm giving him points for HOLDING UP this long WHILE being a sitting duck. And dude, what does his offseason troubles have to do with ranking him as a QB ?

Freeman ain't makin' the Hall. Driver PROBABLY won't. Brooks won't. Montana had Rice = HOF. Manning had Marv = HOF. Elway had Shannon = HOF. Marino had the Mark Brothers but none of those cats will sniff the Hall either. So my argument holds up that he didn't have a HOF WR to throw to.

Wait...before I go on...Is it that you just don't like Favre for whatever reason(s)? I asked that because you mentioned the pain killers, and I can't see how that holds any bearing on the dude as a QB.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

No, you missed my point...I'm not giving him points for being a sitting duck...I'm giving him points for HOLDING UP this long WHILE being a sitting duck. And dude, what does his offseason troubles have to do with ranking him as a QB ?

Freeman ain't makin' the Hall. Driver PROBABLY won't. Brooks won't. Montana had Rice = HOF. Manning had Marv = HOF. Elway had Shannon = HOF. Marino had the Mark Brothers but none of those cats will sniff the Hall either. So my argument holds up that he didn't have a HOF WR to throw to.

Wait...before I go on...Is it that you just don't like Favre for whatever reason(s)? I asked that because you mentioned the pain killers, and I can't see how that holds any bearing on the dude as a QB.

Did you forget that Sterling Sharpe guy Lux?
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

Naw, I named him when I first responded to Tach.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

Because by his own admission he was taking 10 times the recommend dosage for pain killers while playing. 10 to 13 percs/vicodin on game day. You can't tell me that didn't help him suit.

As for Harris, Harris is going into the HOF because of Manning, not the other way around... if it weren't for Manning, Harris wouldn't be a household name. But so I understand, a having pro bowl WRs means you don't have WRs good enough to throw too? Please, the guy had WRs, TEs, and RBs to work with.

My feelings for Favre is that he is one of the most overrated athletes PERIOD. The fact that Peter King put him 5th All Time is ludicrous, just down ridiculous...

Favre better than Montana, yea right, not on this planet. Manning, keep smoking... Favre has over 300 INTs (and counting)... the next closet guy has 30 less him. Manning has almost half as many as Favre (166), Montana 139. Not too mention both Montana and Manning have a higher career passer rating.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

But you forget him when discussing HOF caliber WR's that a QB had? He was pretty dang good.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

Because by his own admission he was taking 10 times the recommend dosage for pain killers while playing. 10 to 13 percs/vicodin on game day. You can't tell me that didn't help him suit.

As for Harris, Harris is going into the HOF because of Manning, not the other way around... if it weren't for Manning, Harris wouldn't be a household name. But so I understand, a having pro bowl WRs means you don't have WRs good enough to throw too? Please, the guy had WRs, TEs, and RBs to work with.

My feelings for Favre is that he is one of the most overrated athletes PERIOD. The fact that Peter King put him 5th All Time is ludicrous, just down ridiculous...

Favre better than Montana, yea right, not on this planet. Manning, keep smoking... Favre has over 300 INTs (and counting)... the next closet guy has 30 less him. Manning has almost half as many as Favre (166), Montana 139. Not too mention both Montana and Manning have a higher career passer rating.

But taking that many painers can work against him as well with side effects. Either way, pain killers only do so much as far as masking pain. 271 straight starts CAN'T be summed up from using painers.

Marv is going in because of his own skills, Manning helps, just like Marv helps Manning. To say Marv gets in because of Peyton is slighting the hell outta Marv, and I can't ever cut for that. And again, you use Pro Bowl, I use the HOF. That's pretty much it.

But why are you gettin' so heated and hyped-up over this? ...Dude, it's MY opinion. Deal with it. Get over it. Move on. It ain't that deep. No one's winning a new Camry for the best QB list .
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

But you forget him when discussing HOF caliber WR's that a QB had? He was pretty dang good.

Actually LB changed it up a little bit...

it went from great receiver to HOF WR:

Quote:
he's never really had any great receivers.

Although they are not 'great' WRs, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver, and Robert Brooks were All Pro/ProBowl WRs.., they were definitely better than average. He also had a nice running game in Levens, Bennett and Green.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

My top 5:

1 - Elway
2 - Marino
3 - Favre
4 - Manning
5 - Montana

But I stated his career was short, especially with Brett.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: