So i have an interview monday for the Lakers intern website gig(updating the page after every game )
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machine24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject:

any update?
FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject:

how'd it go Dawglaker?
Discoflux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject:

Futuristic wrote:
1) Make sure you pay attention to everything that is being said.
2) Make sure you have the skills to do the job.
3) Dress like a pro, and not like a gangster, or a cool dude from the streets. You might want to find out how they dress but first impression is important. I would wear a blazer, black pants, white shirt, nice tie, and shiny black shoes. Get a haircut so you look sharp. If you have any tattoos, make sure they don't see them.
4) Especially find out what they are looking for, and find the exact opportunity to express to them how you are qualified. Tell them how you intend to provide a solution to their need.
5) Be confident, positive, and make sure you find the perfect opportunity to let them know why they should choose you.
6) Communicate clearly but don't be shy to talk technical when you find that opportunity.
7) Just be yourself.
8) Be at least 15 minutes early.
9) If you don't have it yet, ask for the requirements and make sure you have a solid answer for all the specific requirements. Let them know that you are not only capable, you will excel.
10) At the end of the interview, thank the last interviewer and ask what the next step will be and that you're very interested in moving forward.

I just wanted to modify #8. Get to the building 15 minutes early just so you don't have any traffic or late issues.. but DON'T show up in the office that early! Its annoying when an applicant is putting pressure on you to start early.

Instead, just get up to the office a couple minutes early so you can say hello to the receptionist (be kind and gracious to everyone you meet in the office) - if she offers you coffee or water I find its best to accept it- always coffee black so they can just pour you a cup without trouble- accept it kindly- just pour it out in the plant when no one is looking- and you're ready to go in shortly therafter.
dawglaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject:

didnt get it this is the re-design i did for them

met the real designer and reporters (mike n thai)

http://www.akfourtyseven.com/Laker/

i actually showed up 20 mins early, didnt want to be all nervous n sweaty trying to find the office
usa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject:

Sorry to hear that but it looks like you can improve a lot. IMO you should look somewhere you can start at a low level and work your way up.
kwyitkilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject:

dawglaker wrote:
didnt get it this is the re-design i did for them

met the real designer and reporters (mike n thai)

http://www.akfourtyseven.com/Laker/

i actually showed up 20 mins early, didnt want to be all nervous n sweaty trying to find the office

Sorry to hear that but to be honest that looks like a website from the 90's. Have you had any formal training?
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject:

Sorry to hear that man. Keep working at it though. You'll find your spot soon.
jabberjaw
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject:

what kwyitkilla said.
El Shish
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject:

The website is pretty poor if truth be told. I work in marketing for a large multi-national. A lot of what we do is pretty cutting edge online stuff. I mean this as truly constructive criticism but we probably wouldn't invite a candidate for a first interview based on that design. I'd echo the comments that said that it was a very 90's - You rarely see stationary side frames like the one in your design and overall it's very busy and chaotic.

Wish you all the best for the future though. There's a hell of a lot to be gained from the applications that don't end up panning out.
dawglaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject:

well given the two weeks ontop of the normal job i had thats all i could pull out given more time i could've designed somethin like my previous projects

www.akfourtyseven.com

www.twistedoc.com

www.akfourtyseven.com/facenvy

something like those took me a about a month

to be honest im more 80% coder and 20% graphics designer
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Futuristic wrote:
styleripftw wrote:
It's an internet job. Just come in with a tshirt and shorts. They'll immedietely know you're dressed for the job. Save the suit and tie for telemarketers.

I'm sorry but I had an internet job in Santa Monica and we did wear shorts but I hope you're kidding that he should wear this during the interview. Once he gets the job and they tell him he can wear shorts, then can he wear shorts. Again, I hope you are kidding.

you know what. this is what i hate about america. (i know i sound like a foreigner). but i hate how we put on a facade.

if i'm going to be wearing jeans and a polo or t-shirt all day every single day. Then why should i need to wear a suit to impress or to look the part during the interview?????? WHY

Why when we all know its casual friday. do i have to dress up beause the CEO is in town? as if he doesn't know... its CASUAL FRIDAY. its casual friday at a lot of companies. BIG DEAL. whats the facade for?
All Net
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject:

To look professional.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
if i'm going to be wearing jeans and a polo or t-shirt all day every single day. Then why should i need to wear a suit to impress or to look the part during the interview?????? WHY

Why when we all know its casual friday. do i have to dress up beause the CEO is in town? as if he doesn't know... its CASUAL FRIDAY. its casual friday at a lot of companies. BIG DEAL. whats the facade for?

Read Snoop. Face-to-face interviews tell you almost nothing about how a person will perform in a job EXCEPT for how well the person is dressed. I can't remember what being well-dressed tells you about the person, but it is what you want in a hire.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

Read Snoop. Face-to-face interviews tell you almost nothing about how a person will perform in a job EXCEPT for how well the person is dressed. I can't remember what being well-dressed tells you about the person, but it is what you want in a hire.

It says that even if that's not the way I will always dress or you expect me to dress, I am going to dress this way because I want this job so badly I won't leave anything to chance - if there is a reason I didn't get the job, its not because I was too lazy to take the extra 5-10 minutes to clean up and put on a suit as a courtesy to the prospective employer.

That's what it says... if not simply that you are a professional and can dress appropriately given the context of the environment.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
The Bling
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject:

dawglaker wrote:
well given the two weeks ontop of the normal job i had thats all i could pull out given more time i could've designed somethin like my previous projects

www.akfourtyseven.com

www.twistedoc.com

www.akfourtyseven.com/facenvy

something like those took me a about a month

to be honest im more 80% coder and 20% graphics designer

Well, at least you gave it a shot, Bro. Since you admit that you're more of a coder, then it's a good excuse for such a non-impressive website re-design (not a knock on you but I'm just basing it on the websites I've been going to). I'm not even that impressed with those other websites you've worked on for a month. The Lakers were probably looking for more eye candy design to greet their fans in their website. At least you got skills you can improve on.
trish1999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject:

Gudluk bro..
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject:

Dude, designing your own web sites is no longer necessary. If you want to make web sites for companies and make a living from it, just go to templatemonster.com and find a nice template there and use those for your clients projects. Just pay like $50 for the (shared) design and charge companies whatever you want. If you have coding skills then you are set.

I made thousands in the last couple of years just using already made templates for company web sites. Why doesnt everybody do this? well, it takes time to code around the templates sometimes, add search functions, and make changes to the templates, market yourself, find new clients, etc. If you have the time and drive to make this a living, template monster is your friend.

Also, I would recommend using a different business name than akfortyseven.com as some companies will likely not take you seriously and may even be scared off. Also, the coding you are using for your rollovers is a bit dated. Rollovers shouldnt take 2 seconds to load.

Hope i was of some help.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: