Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm, maybe we should rename this the MMA thread.

Looks like Affliction 2 is postponed to Jan.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/5258/sources-affliction-day-of-reckoning-rescheduled-for-later-date.mma

"Affliction: Day of Reckoning," which was supposed to be the second event promoted by Affliction Entertainment, has been rescheduled and will not go on during its originally scheduled Oct. 11 date.

A source close to the organization told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Affliction is expected to make a "major announcement" soon that will better clarify the future of the organization.

"Day of Reckoning" is now expected to take place in January in Anaheim, Calif.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Dana wasn't kidding when he said he'd be shocked to see Affliction make it to the new year.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Wow...yesterday it was like 5 responses turned in to 50.
i thought that was weird...
but its the all inclusive MMA Thread...

Wanna change the Thread title to the OFFICAL MMA (UFC/WEC/Affliction/Elite XC...etc) Thread???
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
A tribute to the late Evan Tanner

How many of us challenge convention like an involuntary reflex? How many of us dare a nomadic life, beholden to no man? How many of us find the pinnacle? How many of us, wishing the despair would become more real, crack open yet another bottle? How many of us experience adoration for doing what we love?

There may be others, but at this moment I can think of just one. His name is Evan Tanner. He is gone.

Throughout his 37 years roaming this earth seemingly without destination, Tanner pushed the boundaries of experience. He lived nadir and zenith. And in death he did not recoil from that assignment.

We knew him as someone who found challenge in physically taking on all comers. That was but a sliver. Tanner prodded life, and because of this the Texan found mixed martial arts among many things.

For a lot of us, myself included, the first time Tanner entered our consciousness came during his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut in 1998. Watching as a fan on a friend's couch that night, Tanner left a lasting impression: self trained; soft spoken; aggressive. He was the kind of fighter I wanted to see. Thankfully, there were plenty of opportunities. During Tanner's 11-year career he fought 48 times, including 17 bouts inside the octagon.

A week before he was set to meet Kendall Grove for what sadly turned out to be his last go, Tanner and I were panelists on HDNet's Inside MMA. Before the taping we shared a laugh about his UFC 18 victory over Darrell Gholar. I told him how much I enjoyed his performance, and how it inspired me to find a local Japanese video store where I rented tapes of his Pancrase fights. Discovery of a wider world of MMA followed, and while I can't say Tanner had a hand in driving me into journalism, his presence certainly helped me fall in love with the sport I cover today.

Article
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Maybe Dana wasn't kidding when he said he'd be shocked to see Affliction make it to the new year.

Apparently, they are not dead yet:

Quote:
Atencio promised a major announcement on Affliction's future this Saturday at the MGM Grand Hotel, where the Marquez-Casamayor fight is scheduled to take place. The timing and location of the announcement has added fuel to speculation that Affliction has a new partner in mixed martial arts, none other than Golden Boy Promotions, which quite possibly could include HBO. Golden Boy is the promoter of record for Saturday's boxing match -- which airs on HBO pay-per-view -- and President Oscar De La Hoya has expressed interest in mixed martial arts as of late.

Regarding a possible pairing of the MMA and boxing promotions, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer on Wednesday seemed to all but confirm the idea when he told Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole "we are close with those guys" when questioned about a partnership with Affliction.

Article

Things just got real interesting....
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Quote:
Atencio promised a major announcement on Affliction's future this Saturday at the MGM Grand Hotel, where the Marquez-Casamayor fight is scheduled to take place. The timing and location of the announcement has added fuel to speculation that Affliction has a new partner in mixed martial arts, none other than Golden Boy Promotions, which quite possibly could include HBO. Golden Boy is the promoter of record for Saturday's boxing match -- which airs on HBO pay-per-view -- and President Oscar De La Hoya has expressed interest in mixed martial arts as of late.

Regarding a possible pairing of the MMA and boxing promotions, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer on Wednesday seemed to all but confirm the idea when he told Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole "we are close with those guys" when questioned about a partnership with Affliction.

Article

Seriously. I wonder what this means with the recent decline in boxing.
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Quote:

Article

Ooohh... damn if they get boxing money in MMA, that could be trouble...
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject:

^^
I heard that they are going to have MMA and Boxing together on Cards...
That would suck!
who watches the undercards in boxing?!?!
O well, Good Luck!
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: UFC® Fight Night™ Diaz vs Neer - 9/17/08 at 8:00pm

Who's watching UFC Fight Night tonite!?!?
Main Event: Nate Diaz Vs. Josh Neer

Blanca...er Clay Guida is fighting Mac Danzig (should be good) and Houston Alexander is fighting (but i dont know if that is a good thing considering the Last time he was on Fight Night... )

UFC® Fight Night™ Diaz vs Neer

***Hey Mods, Any way we can change the title thread to "The Official MMA Thread" or something.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject:

^^ I'll be watching...

Boxing and MMA on the same card would suck... and I'm not so sure it's a good idea from a boxing standpoint...
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
^^ I'll be watching...

Boxing and MMA on the same card would suck... and I'm not so sure it's a good idea from a boxing standpoint...

well, people may sit through the boxing because they want to see the MMA matches.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject:

I'll definitely be watching tonight... who can turn down free MMA?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:
TACH wrote:
^^ I'll be watching...

well, people may sit through the boxing because they want to see the MMA matches.

I just don't think it is a good mix... there is no need for them to share events (unless you are a very small operation).
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:
TACH wrote:
^^ I'll be watching...

I just don't think it is a good mix... there is no need for them to share events (unless you are a very small operation).

I think its a terrible mix! if i ever watch a Affliction/Golden Boy event...during the boxing matches Im gonna get up and get a drink and go get some air!
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I just really hope that they don't try to print Golden Boy shirts in an Affliction style. whack!!

Affliction should have Trump fork over more cash so they can buy out Elite XC or one of the smaller orgs. so they can shore up their other divisions. After the Heavyweights they got nothing and they need to be able to carry a card without Fedor as the main event.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Pow Gasol wrote:
I just really hope that they don't try to print Golden Boy shirts in an Affliction style. whack!!

Affliction should have Trump fork over more cash so they can buy out Elite XC or one of the smaller orgs. so they can shore up their other divisions. After the Heavyweights they got nothing and they need to be able to carry a card without Fedor as the main event.

yea golden boy has some weak designs....did anyone catch the Marquez fight this weekend? golden boy did the entire even on their own and the production seemed pretty lame, lame graphics, lame ass mario lopez as the host, and a HORRIBLE set, not to mention all that gold that looked pretty ghetto
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject:

Utlimate Fight now was decent showing. I thought the preimer of the Ultimate Fighter Show was better.

Clay Guida is an idoit for not coming into the show in shape... zero excuse for not making weight... nothing like pissing away a golden opprotunity!

Junie Browning is an cocky, arrogant little (bleep):

“Do I think Jose Aguillar can beat me,” asked Browning. “He has a better chance of getting me pregnant.”

... but he backed it up.... IMO, so far, he is the best/most complete fighter in the house (in his weight class)... Jose had nothing, couldn't even anwser the second round bell...

Frank Mir as a coach seems really cool...
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Utlimate Fight now was decent showing. I thought the preimer of the Ultimate Fighter Show was better.

Clay Guida is an idoit for not coming into the show in shape... zero excuse for not making weight... nothing like pissing away a golden opprotunity!

I thought it was Houston Alexander who was the idiot... rocked Eric Schafer with those two huge knees early on. it was over!!! --that is until Houston couldnt finish him and Red recovered and put on that sick side choke!
in front of his home fans too... I guess, Fight Night isnt for Alexander.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:

“Do I think Jose Aguillar can beat me,” asked Browning. “He has a better chance of getting me pregnant.”

... but he backed it up.... IMO, so far, he is the best/most complete fighter in the house (in his weight class)... Jose had nothing, couldn't even anwser the second round bell...

Frank's a very articulate guy who knows his stuff. I bet he's going to be an awesome coach. I also liked his philosophy about how "his guys don't always know everything," so he's bringing in the best trainers possible for his team, not just "his guys."
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for renaming the thread title!
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject:

I'm not really into MMA, but I saw "Red Belt" a couple days ago and thought it was a very good movie. The DVD has great interviews with everyone involved in MMA and the history behind it's origins in Brazil and Los Angeles. Anyone see this movie?
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:

I think you are talking about Jason Guida, Clay's brother, right? yeah he is an idiot for not making weight esp. after talking all that smack. But I guess he's not a total nimrod since he just got a contract with eliteXC.
Still wondering which cast member Dana was referring to as the next Anderson Silva.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject:

Anderson Silva: "I'll retire next year, I already gave my all."

Damn!
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Anderson Silva: "I'll retire next year, I already gave my all."

Damn!

Wow, I hope its not true!

but he doesnt have anything to prove!
people have fighting for 2nd place in that division since he got there!
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:

^^
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 3 of 499
Jump to: