All Time Top 10 Recording Artists

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: All Time Top 10 Recording Artists

1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. Radiohead
4. The Beach Boys
5. Otis Redding
6. Michael Jackson
7. David Bowie
8. The Rolling Stones
9. Velvet Underground
10. Jimi Hendrix

Honorable mention: Floyd, Zeppelin, Van, Sam Cooke, Stevie, Miles, Police, Queen.

Discuss. And remember we are talking all time here.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: All Time Top 10 Recording Artists

ocho wrote:
1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. Radiohead
4. The Beach Boys
5. Otis Redding
6. Michael Jackson
7. David Bowie
8. The Rolling Stones
9. Velvet Underground
10. Jimi Hendrix

Honorable mention: Floyd, Zeppelin, Van, Sam Cooke, Stevie, Miles, Police, Queen.

Discuss. And remember we are talking all time here.

Interesting list. Can't see Radiohead in the list, much less that high, not yet anyway. Stones should be higher, and Floyd should be up there near the top. (Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here both place highly in all-time album lists) Definitely need to consider the Who, James Brown, Ray Charles, U2, Aerosmith, Prince, REM, Eagles, Neil Young, Springsteen, Crosby Stills & Nash, the Clash, and Mellencamp, to name but a few.
Greg-Dawg®
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Michael Jackson needs to be second.
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject:

No mention of Bob Marley?

He is top 5 at least

- Andy Warhol
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject:

24- as with any list people will be left out and some of the artists consider mentioning.

To me Radiohead is the definitive artist of this time. No bad albums, only great ones which is so impressive because their sound has changed/evolved so much. But then again I'm a rabid radiohead fanboy. I'll put their impact on music up against the acts you listed.

Ko8e8ryant- I know I'll be flamed for this and I really do like Bob Marley but imo he is more of a cultural icon than a legendary musician. If I was making a top 20 you'd see Bob. Can't take anyone off my top 10 though
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
24- as with any list people will be left out and some of the artists consider mentioning.

To me Radiohead is the definitive artist of this time. No bad albums, only great ones which is so impressive because their sound has changed/evolved so much. But then again I'm a rabid radiohead fanboy. I'll put their impact on music up against the acts you listed.

Ko8e8ryant- I know I'll be flamed for this and I really do like Bob Marley but imo he is more of a cultural icon than a legendary musician. If I was making a top 20 you'd see Bob. Can't take anyone off my top 10 though

Don't you think the rule about Marley applies to Velvet underground?

BTW, I forgot the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Johnny Cash, not to mention Clapton!

BTW, I like Radiohead, just not to the level you do
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Don't you think the rule about Marley applies to Velvet underground?

BTW, I forgot the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Johnny Cash, not to mention Clapton!

BTW, I like Radiohead, just not to the level you do

Nah I don't think so. Guys like Marley, Cobain, Morrison all made great music but imo we talk about them for the things they did outside the realm of music.

Velvet holds up. Truly created a unique sound all their own. And extremely influential btw. Look how many Velvet Underground rip off bands we have today.
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject:

ocho,

that's a pretty solid list you have. sorting out 10 of the best is no easy task.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: