Best NFL Running Back of All Time
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chazzz3dt_AB17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Best NFL Running Back of All Time

Barry Sanders for me.

he would of shattered all the records if he played longer.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject:

I didn't see him play, but the RB most people say is the best is Jim Brown.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject:

probably not the best, but my favorite of all-time... Ricky Williams and LaDanian Tomlinson.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject:

My favs had to be Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen... best all-time, Sweetness...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
My favs had to be Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen... best all-time, Sweetness...

There you go. Small school running back who wouldn't get a sniff in today's era of combine times. Couldn't out-sprint half his own team. 200 lbs. soaking wet. Not blessed with Sanders elusiveness. But he was Jerry Rice before there was Jerry Rice. The guy who outworked everyone before or since. The superbowl year, at the end of his career, was the first year he played behind a pro-bowl lineman. Unlike guys like Smith and Dickerson, who practically brought their whole line to Hawaii year after year. Played most of his career on a horrible team that just handed him the ball and watched him stsrt shedding tacklers in the backfield. It was once said no one ever tackled Sweetness, because he always tackled his tackler.

Oh, and when terminally ill, he refused to cash in on his fame to move up the list for a liver that would have saved his life.
chazzz3dt_AB17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
I didn't see him play, but the RB most people say is the best is Jim Brown.

i saw him when i was very little and i watch highlights and old games all the time he had speed power and elusiveness that put him over the top. I think Walter Payton is a close 2nd just because i loved his style of running but im partial towards him because the 85' Bears were one of the best football teams ever assembled.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject:

Sanders. What he did without a FB and in the Run & Shoot is truly ridiculous. BUT!...Had Bo-Jack focused solely on football and he didn't crack that hop, he would've been the best ever. No man has ever had that particular combination of size, strength and speed at the RB spot. 6'1, 230lbs, 4.3 - ridamndiculous.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Sanders. What he did without a FB and in the Run & Shoot is truly ridiculous. BUT!...Had Bo-Jack focused solely on football and he didn't crack that hop, he would've been the best ever. No man has ever had that particular combination of size, strength and speed at the RB spot. 6'1, 230lbs, 4.3 - ridamndiculous.

Agree on Jackson, in terms of the package. Unbelievable how a guy that big was that fast.

The run and shoot was designed to spread the defense and create seams for Barry Sanders BTW.
Clutch44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Walter Payton - Not the biggest, nor the fastest, but the best all around back I've seen with a will to win that was a joy to watch.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Gonna go with Emmit Smith. Used his blockers better than anyone has in the position, caught, blocked, was as tough as nails and lasted forever.
n9c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Barry Sanders. I remember not getting much sleep when I first heard the rumors that Barry might be traded to the Dolphins. Imagine what Barry could have done with Marino's passing threat? The books would have been shattered and they probably would have won a SB together. I hope the Lions and their tard owner go 0-16 EVERY single year.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Agree on Jackson, in terms of the package. Unbelievable how a guy that big was that fast.

The run and shoot was designed to spread the defense and create seams for Barry Sanders BTW.

There have been rumors Bo was juiced...I just can't bring myself to believe that...but I'm also not foolish enough to rule it out.

And even still, to have no lead blocker...B-San didn't need much of a seam at times when he broke ankles like he was Iverson .
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Gonna go with Emmit Smith. Used his blockers better than anyone has in the position, caught, blocked, was as tough as nails and lasted forever.

The reason I don't put Emmitt in my top 5 is JUST because he had probably the greatest O-Line EVER. Rosie O'Donnell could've run through those holes and behind that line. Emmitt was a good back with a great O-Line, and that then made HIM great.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

There have been rumors Bo was juiced...I just can't bring myself to believe that...but I'm also not foolish enough to rule it out.

And even still, to have no lead blocker...B-San didn't need much of a seam at times when he broke ankles like he was Iverson .
Huge Bo fan, huge Raider fan, never heard those rumors...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Real hard to use 3-5 probowlers. Emmit got about 3 a carry before he had to do anything besides follow the tackle.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:

The reason I don't put Emmitt in my top 5 is JUST because he had probably the greatest O-Line EVER. Rosie O'Donnell could've run through those holes and behind that line. Emmitt was a good back with a great O-Line, and that then made HIM great.

not to mention he played on team with a great passing attack which kept the defense from putting 8 in the box. HOF QB, HOF WR, Pro Bowl TE, and..... Alvin Harper, 49er killer
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Real hard to use 3-5 probowlers. Emmit got about 3 a carry before he had to do anything besides follow the tackle.

Not as easy at it looks. You've got to read and react and be able to pull the trigger when time comes. As great as Sanders was, for example, I don't think he'd have been better with the Cowboys O line as he was truly running on his own on every play.

There was that one year where Emmitt held out for the first 2 games and the 'boys went 0-2. He came back they went 12-2 and then won the SB.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

It's a tradeoff. That extra lead blocker not being there also pulls a defender out of the box. not to mention the Lions used motion to bring a receiver into the blocking scheme.

All that aside, Barry would be an all-time great no matter when or where he played, IMO. I just like Payton better, because he got the same thing essentially done without the speed or physical talents of the other greats.

And if you think lacking a lead blocker is bad, take a look at what was "blocking" for Payton most of his career. It was a shame to see Emmit pass him, especially since emmit was 3 yards past the line before he had to make his first cut or read, and Payton had to do it 3 yards behind the line.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

It's a tradeoff. That extra lead blocker not being there also pulls a defender out of the box. not to mention the Lions used motion to bring a receiver into the blocking scheme.

All that aside, Barry would be an all-time great no matter when or where he played, IMO. I just like Payton better, because he got the same thing essentially done without the speed or physical talents of the other greats.

And if you think lacking a lead blocker is bad, take a look at what was "blocking" for Payton most of his career. It was a shame to see Emmit pass him, especially since emmit was 3 yards past the line before he had to make his first cut or read, and Payton had to do it 3 yards behind the line.

Actually, without a FB, that enables the D to stack the box with 8 a lot easier and giving them a better advantage had theys tacked 8 with a FB there.

And yeah, Sweetness didn't have the greatest of lines.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Actually, without a FB, that enables the D to stack the box with 8 a lot easier and giving them a better advantage had theys tacked 8 with a FB there.

Try stacking the box with 4 wideouts, and see where that gets you. The idea of the run and shoot was to force teams into their dime packages, the better to either overload a defense playing the run, or run against a defense where there's really only 5 or 6 in the box.

But, at the end of the day, we're arguing porterhouse vs. ribeye, IMO. Both are prime steaks.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Try stacking the box with 4 wideouts, and see where that gets you. The idea of the run and shoot was to force teams into their dime packages, the better to either overload a defense playing the run, or run against a defense where there's really only 5 or 6 in the box.

But, at the end of the day, we're arguing porterhouse vs. ribeye, IMO. Both are prime steaks.

Teams didn't fear that passing game as much as they feared Barry. Fontes was a joke with that offense and opposing teams knew it. Moore was their only real threat at WR. That's what made it even crazier when Barry would break one off on 'em after stacking 8. Dude was just ridiculous.
chazzz3dt_AB17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Barry Sanders was the focal point for of the Lions offense and he is what defenses keyed in on. And he still broke runs off and shook fools like it was nothing. Emmitt was the best at the goal line though but that Cowboys O line was stacked. Props to them.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject:

I'd prolly say Barry as well .....

definitely can't forget what Jim Brown accomplished on and off the field.

Both men retired in their primes. Would never say they retired too soon because the pounding of an NFL running back is astronomical.

ECR classmate Jamal Anderson told me he still doesn't feel right .....
mswift44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Barry Sanders is my all time favorite.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
ECR classmate Jamal Anderson told me he still doesn't feel right .....

I remember when Marshall Faulk was asked after his knee surgery, does he feel the same as he did the season before and he responded "Man, back in Pop Warner, the very first time I got hit my body NEVER felt the same" ...He was so right - after you get your first hit...your body ain't ever the same.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: