LakersGround Presents: Cap's Corner with Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: LakersGround Presents: Cap's Corner with Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Got a question for Kareem? He's going to take two questions from LGers every few weeks and answer them exclusively for LakersGround.

What do you want to know? Post your questions here and I will take the two best questions to him for Cap's insight.

I, myself, am a little curious about how he felt to be on the coaching side of a championship. Seemed like he went right over to Bynum after they won the final game. So, what were his thoughts then and did he have anything to say to Drew?

Post your questions...

Last edited by DancingBarry on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
superboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I would love to know his candid thoughts on the officiating and the treatment of Kobe. Does it seem unfair because we're biased fans, or is there really something to it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject:

I am curious how the &*&%^%# LG managed to score that one!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Would you rather coach The UCLA Bruins or The Los Angeles Lakers to a championship?
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Don't have a good question yet, but I'd like to know why Drew doesn't use his body while in the paint. Will that come in the future? Maybe a little less finesse, and a little more physical.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

Kudos to Dancing Barry
John O
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Does he think his amazing skyhook move will ever be replicated by someone else? What are the requirements for someone to ever master it? Are they planning to train Andrew on it? Is Andrew interested in it?

What are his feelings when he sees Andrew playing? He's he always thinking he could play better or is he mostly happy with progress so far?
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject:

WHOA!!! EXCELLENT WORK, MODS!!! THANKS FOR SETTING THIS UP!!!

Now, my 2 questions for Mr. Abdul-Jabbar:

(1) In the 70s, it was well-known that you had studied martial arts with Bruce Lee. In the 80s, it was also well-reported that you had done more weight training and yoga as a means of improving your endurance and preventing injury.

What kind of effect do you recent improvements/ changes in physical training have had on current players, in terms of style of play, types of injuries, longevity and fundamental basketball skills?

(2) What are your thoughts on the current one-and-done rule regarding college players entering the NBA? What would you propose as a means of improving the current system?

MIM
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

I also want to know, but this is awesome. Big to whoever pulled this off.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject:

My question - I consider myself strongly introverted as per the definition on Wikipedia, "An introvert is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people, though they tend to enjoy interactions with close friends." Again per Wikipedia, introverts "are more analytical before speaking". Would Kareem consider himself an introvert and if so, what are the challenges of being an introvert in the NBA? It's my impression that the media doesn't like an introvert's "analytical before speaking", finding them "inauthentic" when they think through their answers before speaking.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject:

wow. great job DB.
have no idea how you pulled this off, but amazing job.

anyway, what i'm interested to know, is does kareem notice bynum's obvious tendency in the last few months to turn away from the hoop, away from the contact - whether he does a drop step or just pulls up for a jumper instead of trying to get in the lane.

my question is - is that bynum not following kareem's instructions ?
is it the affects of bynum not trusting his knee yet after the injury ?
or is it simply his game ?

because it's not like he does it once in a while - it's the other way around.
once in a while he'll go into the defender trying to draw contact.
really interested to hear kareem's take on that and his take on what we can expect bynum's post game to look like next season and beyond.
Laker_Behemoth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Cap,

In retrospect, is there anything about your relationship with Wilt that you would have handled differently?
"After watching Bryant and Cooper go at it for about 10 minutes West stood up, nodded at two team public-relations men he'd brought with him, and snapped, 'That's it, let's get out of here, I've seen enough. He's better than anyone on our team.'"
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Wow! Great job DB!!! So Cap knows about LG!?!

Kareem is a great 'get' and if you have access to him every week there is going to be a lot of overlap of the questions. I want to hear whatever he wants to talk about, but he is not typically verbose, so go easy on him at first. I guess there are 4 basic themes I would want to hear his thoughts on:

-Bynum - I want to know about his impression and interaction with Drew - typical things like what will they work together on, what does he need to improve, how is the knee, what do the Lakers FO think of him and his abilities, where dos he see Drew in 5 years - will he develop into a franchise player...

-His role as coach - I am curious as to how he feels his position is working out with the Lakers, if he thinks his role can and will be expanded, how is his relationship with Phil or does he report more to the Lakers as Drew's mentor, are other players taking advantage of his services, what does he think of Pau and Powell, and why the heck doesn't Pau learn the Sky-Hook.

-Kobe - Kareem's impression and thoughts, Kobe in practice, on the bench, on the bus and behind the scenes, Kobe's place among his peers and where he thinks he'll be when he retires amoung the greats.

-This team - how good are they, how good can they be and areas for them to improve.

Oh yeah, let's not forget to obligatory plug for his "SKY-HOOK" merchandise - maybe a link to the website like you do for the NBA store...
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
My question - I consider myself strongly introverted as per the definition on Wikipedia, "An introvert is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people, though they tend to enjoy interactions with close friends." Again per Wikipedia, introverts "are more analytical before speaking". Would Kareem consider himself an introvert and if so, what are the challenges of being an introvert in the NBA? It's my impression that the media doesn't like an introvert's "analytical before speaking", finding them "inauthentic" when they think through their answers before speaking.

related/followup - Does he see a correlation between his (introvert)relationship with Magic (extrovert) and Kobe's (introvert) relationship with Shaq (extrovert).
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject:

ohhhh, and obviously - make him an honorary lifetime member/retired number as soon as possible !
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Great "get" by DB and the LG staff.

My question: Since you've had the benefit of seeing both Phil and Coach Wooden teach the game, what are their similarities and what are their differences?
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject:

1) Do you work with Pau too, or do you just work with Drew? If so, then what do you work with Pau on?

2) According to my research, this Laker team is the youngest team to win a championship in the modern era of big paychecks (1984-present) that started with the Larry-Magic rivalry, MJ's dominance and going on until today. The last team to be as young as this team was the 1983 76ers. With players playing longer to earn the bigger paychecks, usually championship teams are veteran teams rather than young teams. What separates this team even further from the 1983 76ers is that there were 5 guys under the age of 25 (Ariza, Bynum, Sasha, Shannon, and Farmar) in our regular postseason rotation.

How does it impress you that a team as young as this team was able to win it this season?
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject:

revgen wrote:
1) Do you work with Pau too, or do you just work with Drew? If so, then what do you work with Pau on?

2) According to my research, this Laker team is the youngest team to win a championship in the modern era of big paychecks (1984-present) that started with the Larry-Magic rivalry, MJ's dominance and going on until today. The last team to be as young as this team was the 1983 76ers. With players playing longer to earn the bigger paychecks, usually championship teams are veteran teams rather than young teams. What separates this team even further from the 1983 76ers is that there were 5 guys under the age of 25 (Ariza, Bynum, Sasha, Shannon, and Farmar) in our regular postseason rotation.

How does it impress you that a team as young as this team was able to win it this season?

Some impressive research
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Waaaaayyy cool.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject:

This is awesome DB. I would like to vote for:
1. The commonalities and differences between Coaches Wooden and Jackson.
-
My ? is does he enjoy the current NBA basketball game as a fan and what would he change/improve on if given the chance?

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject:

How hard does Bruce Lee hit or kick when you trained with him?
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject:

In a dogfight over Macho Grande who would win? Roger Murdock or George Zip?
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Wow I am so thrilled that Kareem has decided to take some time out for the truest Lakers fans on the internet!

Kareem: Would you be a proponent of raising the rim height to 12 feet?

Thanks for taking the time man, you are one of the few people I look up to in this world. Your intelligence and sensitivity towards all things is truly inspiring.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Impressive score.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Question for Cap:

"Most Laker fans are really quite appreciative that you are working in the organization again, especially given your knowledge, your experiences and your Laker history. Could you share a personal observation with us regarding any trends you've seen in players who play the center position today, especially any effects that may be attributable to the current NBA "one-and-done" rule governing recruitment of college players ?"

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: