Introduce Yourself to LakersGround - New Poster? Old Poster? Where You From?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject:

Since Rivals days... I am sure that believe that there was a single web page that Jason the site's founder used to host about the Lakers that I also browsed, but I'm not 100% sure if it was his. If anybody remembers, I'd be curious to find out.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject:

Rivals represent!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject:

Eagle2904 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:
My date of joining (April 2001) is the time that the Lakersgound.net site replaced the old Lakersground.com site.

So I don't think you'll see any members of Lakersground.net any earlier than 2001.

Now, if you also want to include Lakersground.com, I'm pretty sure I go back to the summer of 1999, when Phil was signed as coach.

And the site was already rockin and rollin with lots of Lakers fan when I joined.

I found out about the site when someone came through and left a message about it on he MSNBC basketball forum (a really horrid place).

That's what I thought. I suspected some kind of relaunch to have happened in 2001, because in all those years I have never seen any member with a joining date earlier than 2001.

well, now we know why. thanks for clearing that up J.FISH!

Some more history - Rivals.com was a collection of fan forums that was launched in the Dot com boom days and was facing tough financial problems by April 2001. My recollection is that Jason had not be paid for a while and couldn't get in touch with anyone. Out of frustration, Jason created this web site in April 2001 and set up all the members of the old Rivals.com board as members of the new site. Jason didn't know if Rivals.com would sue him and shut down the new board, so he was taking a huge risk. Rivals.com continued their implosion and I don't know if they ever hassled Jason.

If you click on the Memberlist button at the top of the screen, you will see that the following members have a 4/10/01 join date: JasonLG (owner of site when launched), FaxData (I think managed the back end of the site), BIGMAN (moderator, one of my favorite posters, sadly has moved on), Mike AT LG (moderator, still around), Administrator (a dummy account) and JD (once a moderator, not sure if still around).

There are 7 users with a 4/11/01 join date: SoCal88 (still here), Lakersfield (still here), jbjb (still here), lakersfreak (still here), JamaalKeith (long gone, I don't recall anything about), hotshotrbs2 (long gone, I don't recall anything about) and TrueLakerman (4881 posts, but hasn't posted since 9/05). I don't know if these users had any special connection to the board.

68 users have a 4/12/01 join date (myself included) and I would guess those were users converted from the Rivals.com board. I used to be on the front page of the Memberlist, but I have somehow migrated to page 2. Some of the users with a join date that are still around: me, JIFISH, pokoy, THE_SHOES, Freakout, LAkers 4 Life, Lakers 2000, (I got tired of looking up names).

There are 24 users with a 4/13/01 join date, 14 users with a 4/14/01 join date, 17 users with a 4/15/01 join date, 11 users with a 4/16/01 join date, etc. I don't know if those were users from the Rivals.com board that JasonLG and friends added over a period of time or if they were people who joined right after the new board was created.

I posted in the good ole alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers days. I can remember when the groups for the individual NBA teams were created out of the rec.sport.basketball.pro usenet group. I don't remember what lead me to the Rivals.com board, but my guess would be some post in the alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers group.

Last edited by Dennis_D on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I wandered over from nbatalk, I think that was the site Chad Ford ran before he got hired by ESPN.....I am jealous!

First starting posting about the Lakers on the Prodigy board back in '96 or so. Yes, Prodigy.

nbatalk alumni too. Been here since the beginning. My first handle got banned by bigman and this is my new one.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject:

Seems like when lakersground.net launched, bootlegsports, nbatalk, etc.all died about that time so LG grew really big overnight. If I remember right there only about 400 registered users on the Rivals board when the switch over took place.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject:

I can't remember how I found LG, but it's been part of my online life for 7 years now.
Some remarkable things I remember through the years:
- the Shaq-Kobe feud;
- the Penberthy years;
- the "is Devean really dumb" debate;
- the "Colorado" months;
- the Sky-wolf bet;
- Kobe 2.0 posts (i forgot what his original handle was);
- the "Kobe is better than T-Mac, Ivy, and now Lebron" debates;
- "shoes" defending Fish, Devean, and now LO against everybody;
- the pre-draft analyses by guys like DancingBarry, Mike, hawshark, iceberg, etc.
- Sky's pre-season FAQ's (and all of his insightful posts);
- the annual " can the 200x team beat the showtime Lakers?" threads.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject:

Wow you guys are cool.
Nick Van Exel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject:

lakerz4sho' wrote:
I am better known by my now (unfairly) banned handle:

PipISKobesByatch.

I always remember you being a quality poster. Why'd you get banned?
Hoop_Knowledge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I wandered over from nbatalk, I think that was the site Chad Ford ran before he got hired by ESPN.....I am jealous!

Truth. I think I may have followed you over as well

I think I followed Lanny and the former "GodisaLakerFan" or whatever his name was at the time, I can't remember...

I started off lurking, and continue to lurk every now and then.

Love this site. Great fans, great history.

Take care everyone,

HK
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject:

jUST CHECKING MY START DATE.
SlamSmack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject:

View daily but haven't posted in a while. I believe I was in 2001 or earlier. I don't remember how I heard about LG.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Hoop_Knowledge wrote:

I think I followed Lanny and the former "GodisaLakerFan" or whatever his name was at the time, I can't remember...

There was a member who went by the handle "TheLakersAreGodsTeam", who caused all kinds of problems, got banned, and swore he would shut down LakersGround. I think that was back in the .com Rivals board days.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:

Some more history - Rivals.com was a collection of fan forums that was launched in the Dot com boom days and was facing tough financial problems by April 2001. My recollection is that Jason had not be paid for a while and couldn't get in touch with anyone. Out of frustration, Jason created this web site in April 2001 and set up all the members of the old Rivals.com board as members of the new site. Jason didn't know if Rivals.com would sue him and shut down the new board, so he was taking a huge risk. Rivals.com continued their implosion and I don't know if they ever hassled Jason.

As I remember, he posted a message saying he would no longer be running the LakersGround.com board on Rivals, didn't know if it would continue, but was setting up a LakersGround.net board, and provided a link.

I don't think the people that joined on April 11 had any special connection with the board, they just acted sooner. Obviously the people that joined on April 10 were the people who had official capacities, and they used that day to test it out and make sure it all worked properly before inviting everyone else.

But I don't think Jason set up or converted any membership lists. He simply told everyone he was leaving and invited them to join him at his new site.
THEDTM
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Can't remember how I found it.. all I know is it had the best Laker rumors/news available, and still does!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number Reply with quote
ERod86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject:

I could be confused, but I think I found it on rivals during the lock out. I was desperate for some hoops, spending hours on the computer and on the play station (no 2 or 3 attached, just PS) "being" the Lakers. I know for sure that I was out of the country for a little while then came back and moved to No Cal, and lurked for a couple of years, wanted to post again, but couldn't get back on under Riceman86, so I re-joined.

Last edited by ERod86 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Another OG Rivals member chiming in!

My original username was LakersDynasty, but after the server was changed, I re-registered too late and had to use the underscore.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!

Last edited by Laker_Dynasty on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Missed it by 2 weeks.

lakerlgnd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Mostly lurk, occasionally I'll feel compelled to post.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Can't remember who it was who turned me on to LG. I'd sure like to thank them.

The 12 Apr group was already here. pokoy was a pessimist, Trey was my first search engine and Jason was doing a t-shirt drive and planning a LG get-together. I loved emplay's "Just the facts, ma'am."

A lot of memories and I wonder where a lot of people back then are doing now.

I thought of a few user names but decided my favorite Lakers person at the time was Phil Jackson and it's eeemed a rebel thing to use my own name though Jason and others did, also.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Naf_srekaL wrote:
Old school rivals days here.

ahh, the days of rivals. i remember those days too.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
I can't remember how I found LG, but it's been part of my online life for 7 years now.
Some remarkable things I remember through the years:
- the Shaq-Kobe feud;
- the Penberthy years;
- the "is Devean really dumb" debate;
- the "Colorado" months;
- the Sky-wolf bet;
- Kobe 2.0 posts (i forgot what his original handle was);
- the "Kobe is better than T-Mac, Ivy, and now Lebron" debates;
- "shoes" defending Fish, Devean, and now LO against everybody;
- the pre-draft analyses by guys like DancingBarry, Mike, hawshark, iceberg, etc.
- Sky's pre-season FAQ's (and all of his insightful posts);
- the annual " can the 200x team beat the showtime Lakers?" threads.

you don't remember butcher's profanity laced game thread updates? what kind of lakersground member are you!?!?
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Phil wrote:
Can't remember who it was who turned me on to LG. I'd sure like to thank them.

The 12 Apr group was already here. pokoy was a pessimist, Trey was my first search engine and Jason was doing a t-shirt drive and planning a LG get-together. I loved emplay's "Just the facts, ma'am."

A lot of memories and I wonder where a lot of people back then are doing now.

I thought of a few user names but decided my favorite Lakers person at the time was Phil Jackson and it's eeemed a rebel thing to use my own name though Jason and others did, also.

Your name isn't Phil??

Yeah, i will always be thankful to Jason for allowing me to be a mod after all my pessimism before. I would have been banned for trolling if I signed up later than I did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shaqinsactown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Not quite 2001
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Joined in 2001.

Enjoyed this board. Saw the good times, the bad times and the last year surprising success.

Great board to catch any news on the Lakers.
G_DawgLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Member since 1999, when LG was hosted on Rivals.com
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17
Jump to: