Playoff rotation

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:28 am    Post subject: Playoff rotation

Now that Gabe Vincent and Jared are coming back I think we need to start thinking about the playoff rotation. Who is going to lose minutes with these guys coming back? I really don’t think Rui needs to be removed from the starting lineup after the way he’s been playing. I think the player who is going to be benched will be Prince.

Starters:
AD
Rui
Lebron
Reaves
Dlo

First substitutions:

AD
Vanderbilt
Dinwiddie
Reaves
Gabe

I think this would be a fantastic defensive lineup. We also have several playmakers surrounding AD. I don’t see many bench units being able to matchup with this lineup.

Second subs:
Vando
Rui
Lebron
Dlo
gabe

Hear me out. No matter who we put in there at center we get killed at this point. We need Vando on the court and he can’t score. Why not put him at center put him in the dunker spot or setting picks. Defensively, I think he could be a nightmare in PnR defense with Gabe. Yes we are “small” but I look at this as more of an offensive small ball offense. Let’s get out there and run! Remember the other teams center has to keep up with Vando rim running. Just a few minutes a game to give AD a breather.

Closing the half:

I’d go with whoever is playing the best between Rui/Vando and I’d do the same with the guards dinwiddie, Austin, gabe, and DLo. You have the flexibility to go with what is working at the time. I’d probably stick with the starters though.

AD
Rui/vando
Lebron
Reaves/dinwiddie
Dlo/ gabe

Anyways these are the guys I’d rock with in the playoffs. I like Prince and Hayes but I’d only use them situationally. If I need shooting I throw Prince in, if I need a little more size I go with Hayes. Otherwise, I’m playing smaller when AD sits and going with Vando and dinwiddie for defense.

We have roughly two weeks left in the season. Gabe is coming back Sunday and Vando later next week. They should have at least 5 games to get their legs back and into playing shape. At this point I’d play them as soon as they get back to see what we have, if they aren’t ready you bench them and go back to Prince, Hayes for the playoffs.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject:

If Vincent and Vanderbilt come back their minutes will be limited for several weeks until they get up to speed. Is there enough season left for that?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject:

Jumping the gun a little bit? Lakers need to first hope that Rockets don’t over take them then they need to actually win in the play in to make the playoffs, let’s not get ahead of ourselves
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject:

I’ve got to see Vincent play for a few games before I even begin to think about him in the rotation. I’m still hoping we can see him and that he can look much better than he did in the 5 games he has had played. Even tho we know what Vando can do, I’d have to see him too and hope that his offensive liability isn’t as it was last year.

For now I’m still rolling with:
AD/Rui/LBJ/AR/Dlo

Then:
Dinwidde/Prince/Hayes

Maybe:
Max

No:
Cam/JHS/MaxLewis

This is what has been working, don’t pull a Ham.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject:

if everyone is up to speed (quite a big assumption):

AD - C
Bron - F
Rui - F
Vanderbilt - F
Reaves - G
Dlo - G
Dinwiddie - G

are locked for the top 7 spots.

Prince (F), Vincent (G) and Hayes (C) will fill in accordingly then depending on matchups and so forth. They might get a limited number of minutes to near DNP in somse games but that's how it should be.

Christie, Reddish, Wood (if he's even around) will get garbage minutes only. JHS and Lewis will be DNP every game.

Dinwiddie/Vincent will have effectively replaced Dennis/Lonnie.
Prince will have effectively replaced TBJ.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject:

We need to make the playoffs first
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject:

I think we should throw them in for heavy minutes during the last few games of the season. If they can’t get up to speed you abandon it but I think you have to try.

Vando + gabe could change our defense tremendously. Give them the backup spots. They may not be in game shape and they may be rusty, but defense just takes effort. If they are healthy they just need their game legs back and In order to get them they need to play. I say throw them straight into the rotation and let them play into shape. We have two weeks left before the play in. Should be enough time for gabe and it will be pretty close for Vando!

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject:

If it doesn’t work out you have a rested prince and hays.

Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject:

We should figure out our play in tournament rotation
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I think we should throw them in for heavy minutes during the last few games of the season. If they can’t get up to speed you abandon it but I think you have to try.

Vando + gabe could change our defense tremendously. Give them the backup spots. They may not be in game shape and they may be rusty, but defense just takes effort. If they are healthy they just need their game legs back and In order to get them they need to play. I say throw them straight into the rotation and let them play into shape. We have two weeks left before the play in. Should be enough time for gabe and it will be pretty close for Vando!

If the Lakers weren’t currently winning at a rate that would make them one of the top seeds in the West then I’d agree, but they are. The Lakers…since moving Rui to the starting line-up with current rotations…have been winning like a top seed for the last 2 months. Don’t upset what has been working to try to find something that may or may not be better. That’s a Ham type move lol!

Integrate Vincent/Vando in at a reasonable pace but don’t change what’s working drastically unless it’s an emergency. Especially with the different stakes of play-in 9th vs play-in 8th, and also with home court in the play-in at stake for either slot since their is a decent shot at play-in 7th.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject:

I really don’t think replacing Hayes and Prince in the rotation is going to hurt us that much tbh.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject:

If Vando and Vincent are healthy(as is everyone else) our rotation could run 10 deep tbh. At least to not have to play lbj 35 mpg

Starters:
D'Angelo Russell
Austin Reaves
Rui Hachimura
LeBron James
Anthony Davis

Bench:
Gabe Vincent
Spencer Dinwiddie
Taurean Prince
Jarred Vanderbilt
Jaxson Hayes

This should be the rotation, with Christie and Reddish only coming in for emergency.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Whatever the situation, other teams ate going to take advantage of our not having big man depth.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
If Vando and Vincent are healthy(as is everyone else) our rotation could run 10 deep tbh. At least to not have to play lbj 35 mpg

Starters:
D'Angelo Russell
Austin Reaves
Rui Hachimura
LeBron James
Anthony Davis

Bench:
Gabe Vincent
Spencer Dinwiddie
Taurean Prince
Jarred Vanderbilt
Jaxson Hayes

This should be the rotation, with Christie and Reddish only coming in for emergency.

it will never be 10 deep, at most 8 with everyone else getting under 10 minutes and not even every game.
lakerfansd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject:

We'll need Vanderbilt for his defense but when is he going to be in game shape and is it better to not mess with chemistry/rotations by bringing him back just as play-in/playoffs are starting? When he last came back he didn't look good initially. We'll be losing offense when he plays.

Hayes may need to play some minutes as we will get killed on boards against some teams when AD rests.

Prince has been inconsistent but I think Ham loves him too much to not play him.

I don't see Cam getting any minutes.

Dinwiddie and Vincent I worry about, with way Dinwiddie has been shooting and Vincent coming back from injury. Knowing Ham he'll use the 3 guard lineups. Maybe he'll give Vincent minutes because he can go after you defensively. Dinwiddie may be odd man out.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I really don’t think replacing Hayes and Prince in the rotation is going to hurt us that much tbh.

We agree on that! Replacing Hayes/Prince would be integrating Vincent/Vando at a reasonable pace.

What I don’t think is a good plan is starting off playing Vincent/Vando heavy minutes taking away playing time from the starting unit that is winning at a pace in Feb/Mar that would have the Lakers with 52 wins, 1st in the West.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Gabe
Din
AR
DLO
Vando
TP
Rui
Bron
AD

Situations: Cam, Hayes, and Max.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

We agree on that! Replacing Hayes/Prince would be integrating Vincent/Vando at a reasonable pace.

What I don’t think is a good plan is starting off playing Vincent/Vando heavy minutes taking away playing time from the starting unit that is winning at a pace in Feb/Mar that would have the Lakers with 52 wins, 1st in the West.

We agree on everything it seems. I don’t want to take away minutes from the starters. I want to take away minutes from Prince and Hayes. Heavy minutes to me is throwing em right into the rotation. Those minutes off the bench are enough to get them into shape over the next couple of weeks imo. By the time the playoffs come around and we are down to an 8 man rotation they should be close to in shape.

blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject:

Cants say who is going to play but one thing is for sure when playoff time comes. Keep rotations to 8 guys.9 is the max but probably deep in PO 8 is only way
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

We agree on everything it seems. I don’t want to take away minutes from the starters. I want to take away minutes from Prince and Hayes. Heavy minutes to me is throwing em right into the rotation. Those minutes off the bench are enough to get them into shape over the next couple of weeks imo. By the time the playoffs come around and we are down to an 8 man rotation they should be close to in shape.

The play ins start April 16 and Vincent and Vanderbilt don’t have return dates. That’s two weeks from tomorrow so if they even return they won’t have time to get up to speed. Do you work them in during the play ins/playoffs? Or go with what you have been doing? Tough decisions for the FO.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

The play ins start April 16 and Vincent and Vanderbilt don’t have return dates. That’s two weeks from tomorrow so if they even return they won’t have time to get up to speed. Do you work them in during the play ins/playoffs? Or go with what you have been doing? Tough decisions for the FO.

Vincent’s return date was yesterday and he played. His offense still looks missing in action but showed some promise on defense and it was his 1st game back so he will need time. Vando doesn’t have a specific date but a general time as the 1st week in April which is now. I think you work them both in methodically over time making it sure they don’t take time away from the starters. But they have to be worked in because the bench has been horrible since the starters been winning, the Lakers will need Vincent/Vando contributions to win a ship imo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: