Trojans/Patriots. Has this ever happened before?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will 3 peat?
Spurs
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Trojans
46%
 46%  [ 13 ]
Patriots
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
All 3
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 28

NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject:

NestT wrote:

2) One win against an overrated Wolverines does not Kobe make. And the Wolverines are always overrated. One of the darlings of the national media.

I hate to quote myself but,uh,yeah , I am right again.
SoCalRebel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject:

ajaxxx wrote:
SoCalRebel wrote:
KobeButler wrote:
spurs only won 1 consecutive title so far.

Wow, sorry I totally forgot the Pistons won the title in '04. Feel free to lock this thread.

It's ok I think the whole world forgets that the pistons won the title in '04

Thanks.
cutie_wit_a_booty
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject:

SoCalRebel wrote:
KobeButler wrote:
spurs only won 1 consecutive title so far.

Wow, sorry I totally forgot the Pistons won the title in '04. Feel free to lock this thread.

err they were playing against the lakers in the finals how did u forget lol
Sunset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject:

NestT wrote:
NestT wrote:

2) One win against an overrated Wolverines does not Kobe make. And the Wolverines are always overrated. One of the darlings of the national media.

I hate to quote myself but,uh,yeah , I am right again.

Unless there have been back-to-back championships, they're all overrated from the start.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Texas will give USC a run for it's money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Longhorn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

1) It takes real coaching ability to devise,teach,and implement a National
Championship caliber offense. Lane Kiffin is not being asked to do that. He is running the same Norm Chow/BYU now USC offense.

Sorry but it is not that simple, a coach does not go: "Hey I am going to copy the Denver offense" and somehow that is good enough if you have talent and expirience. Playcalling comes directly to mind, but also preparations, adjustments and most importantly confidence.

Quote:

Mack Brown runs a simpletonian offense that depends on overwhelming the oppositon with talent. That is why he has only one big win against the very best teams in the last 5 years or so. When he plays mediocre teams ,they win. When he plays the very best he loses the vast majority of the time. And that top rated team Mack did beat was not that great compared to other Top 5 teams.

You really don't know the name of our OC much less what offense he runs, so I doubt this was little more than what you read on the internet, our base offense is the zone read option, I find it to be and excellent offense for our talent level, his big knock was calling conservative plays against strong defenses. As for Big wins, before OSU of course, I would count Nebraska, aTm 98, Nebraska 99, K-state 02 (they humiliated USC), LSU 03, Michigan 05.

Quote:

2) Talent.Matt Leinhart is a superior QB to Young, not a superior athlete, but a superior QB and he will prove it if you are lucky enough to get to Pasadena.That is why he won the Heisman. One win against an overrated Wolverines does not Kobe make. And the Wolverines are always overrated. One of the darlings of the national media.

Vince Young is as clutch as Kobe, and frankly he might even be better, technically 7 out of 8 come from behind victories is good, although some were just the other team scoring first, but the comeback against Oklahoma State last year (28 point lead at halftime, and we tied it all up in less than 15:00 of clock time) Kansas 14 points with less than 7:00 remaining, Michigan 10 with 10:00 and OSU 6 with 5:00. Sure you could argue tha Leinart does not play from behind, but some were just defensive collapses.

BTW I really do not care about Heismans, or MVPs those too are mythical titles because they are given by voters and not decided on the Field (yardage, wins etc.)

Quote:

4) Transitive logic. The best aproximate to this years Texas team was last years. Same for the Trojans. One got beaton and one put on a beat down.
That is better that just idle speculation. Does not prove anything. Did not say it proved it. But it is a good indicator. Sure, Young and the rest of the Longhorns can improve dramatically. Texas may have impact Freshman.
Mack Brown can take out a loan and buy a clue on how to win a national championship. Don't bet the ranch on it .

No transitive logic is still flawed because I gave you an example from the same year, KSU beat you guys decisively (the score was closer than the game itself) We beat KSU, yet THAT Texas team would have lost badly to USC.

Quote:

I agree with you. This reminds me of the hype about Auburn 2 or 3 years ago. Before the season started, they were rated in the top 5 -- for no apparent reason (okay, Cadillac or whoever that guy was...) USC beat them right out of the gate, and USC still didn't get respect almost that whole season. That's the season Carson Palmer won the Heisman.

It's always some locally over-hyped team (like Texas now) with some phony claim to fame -- all without playing the games on the field. Auburn was so embarassed at having been dealt a humiliating defeat by USC in their opening game, I hope that Texas doesn't really believe everything their local writers say about them. Auburn did, to their detriment and the preseason hype about Auburn turned out to be garbage.

Speaking of Auburn, that Auburn team held you to the lowest offensive production in almost 3 years (23 points) despite producing 0 offense, guess who was DC for Auburn? Thats right our DC. Things look better and better.

Matchups is what really matters, and you guys have had trouble with mobile QBs Robertson and Randall of VT. You never play those QB in the Pac-10 and VY is not only the best running QB in CFB but the best dual-threat QB and IMHO the best QB as a result.

Oklahoma also pretty much gave up after that hysterical fumble on that famed kickoff (I was rooting for you guys BTW) Texas OTOH is all heart, we beat the Big-10 teams despite a - 4 TO margin (-5 really if you think about it), if we play an A game the victory might even be decisive.

OSU was the best defense we will face all year, not just because they are good but also because they match up perfectly against us.
SoCalRebel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
BTW I really do not care about Heismans, or MVPs those too are mythical titles because they are given by voters and not decided on the Field (yardage, wins etc.)

So you're saying if Texas won the BCS National Championship or IF Vince Young won the Heisman you wouldn't care because "they are given by voters and not decided on the field" .

Don't get me wrong I have lots of respect for Vince Young his talents and the entire Texas football team; and I do agree that they are going to be tough to beat if the Trojans and the Longhorns meet in Pasadena, but I personally believe that IF the Trojans get to the Rose Bowl and get their shot at a third straight national championship, it's going to take a lot more then the Texas Longhorns to beat them. We've all seen what the Trojans can do when they lay it all on the line, just ask any Sooners fan.
Longhorn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

So you're saying if Texas won the BCS National Championship or IF Vince Young won the Heisman you wouldn't care because "they are given by voters and not decided on the field" .

Yes, when Ricky won the Heisman it felt good because he was happy, but to me it was far, far less relevant than when he broke the all-time rushing record against a good aTm team.

As for mythical titles, I would rather be Auburn last year, than USC or LSU 2 years before, I just want an undefeated season, because the system cheats us of anything tangible.

Quote:

Don't get me wrong I have lots of respect for Vince Young his talents and the entire Texas football team; and I do agree that they are going to be tough to beat if the Trojans and the Longhorns meet in Pasadena, but I personally believe that IF the Trojans get to the Rose Bowl and get their shot at a third straight national championship, it's going to take a lot more then the Texas Longhorns to beat them. We've all seen what the Trojans can do when they lay it all on the line, just ask any Sooners fan.

I can guarantee one thing, Texas will not give up and lay down like the Sooners did last year. Even if the score is 50-0.
SoCalRebel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I can guarantee one thing, Texas will not give up and lay down like the Sooners did last year. Even if the score is 50-0.

I never said they would I just can't see the Longhorns having a good enough team to beat the Trojans with that much on the line. [/quote]
Vincent_Vega
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Longhorn wrote:
Quote:

Yes, when Ricky won the Heisman it felt good because he was happy, but to me it was far, far less relevant than when he broke the all-time rushing record against a good aTm team.

As for mythical titles, I would rather be Auburn last year, than USC or LSU 2 years before, I just want an undefeated season, because the system cheats us of anything tangible.

Quote:

That first comment of yours is crazy. USC had the AP votes in 2003. Auburn didn't even come close. What they did have was The Citadel on their schedule--Division IAA. Game over when they took those chumps on.

One thing for certain, OU did lay down and it didn't surprise me really. We've seen that happen before. KState rocked them and they gave up in that one too. When a team has layed down face down-ass up like that, it establishes precedence and it becomes easier repeat that. I don't follow Texas that much, but don't remember them quitting like that, so you may have a point there.

Whatever happens, good luck with your season. It's a loooong one, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic about the Trojans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: