Which player is the key to Lakers' success?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Laker is most important to our success next year?
Kobe Bryant
22%
 22%  [ 30 ]
Lamar Odom
25%
 25%  [ 34 ]
Kwame Brown
48%
 48%  [ 66 ]
Other current Laker
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 136

Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Which player is the key to Lakers' success?

Of course basketball is a team game, bla bla bla... but we all know that each team has certain players who are instrumental to that team's chances of winning.

On the face of it, it would seem that an easy answer is Kobe Bryant. He is certainly our one and only superstar, and he is one of the best in the game. But for a few reasons, I actually don't think that Kobe is the key to our success.

First off, let me point out that we can count on Kobe to put up amazing numbers. This has happened ever since he worked his way into the starting lineup all those years ago. And of course we rely on Kobe at the end of games... he is one of the best clutch players in the game. And if the Lakers can manage to get back to their winning ways, surely lots of the credit will go to Kobe and Phil (and deservedly so). But Kobe alone does not make us a winner (witness last year), and for this team to really achieve, it will need quite a bit from other players as well. Certainly Kwame Brown would impact the game if he ever starts to play up to his potential. Likewise, Bynum could surprise us all (though I don't expect much from him this year).

But if you ask me, Lamar Odom is the man who must rise to the occasion, and play a major role in making this a playoff team again. Unlike many here, I do not think Odom had a bad year last year. 15 and 10 aint chicken @#$% people.... but there were too many times when Odom seemed to defer to Kobe, to get lost on the sidelines, to appear to be just moving through the motions.

Now I think that Phil's return could mean that we will get much more out of Odom. If we are to win, we have to. Phil wants to make him the facilitator, and that sounds like just what we need. Odom may make his share of turnovers, but he is very good at getting others involved... he is very good at drawing the defense... and if we run the offense through Odom, as it seems Phil will, then I think Kobe will have some of the heat taken off him. Hopefully we will see less of Kobe charging into 2 or 3 defenders... and hopefully we will see Kobe shooting a higher percentage once again. But this will only happen if Odom assumes his role as a leader on this team. In stretches last year he showed he was capable of doing that.. but we need it for the whole year if we are to make the playoffs in this conference. Here is what I expect from Lamar next year:
16-18 ppg
8-10 rpg
5-7 apg
Yes, some drop off in rebounding could occur due to his move to SF, but we will still need him to pull down the boards. We should see his scoring and assists rise as well if he will really be the facilitator (which to my mind means not simply passing, but also choosing his own shots).

I am not saying that Odom is or will be our best player... only that his level of play will be most decisive in determining whether this Laker team wins or loses.

Cheers,
Vlade

Last edited by Vlade on Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers are Kobe's team. Whatever they get out of key players like Lamar and Kwame will be a result of Kobe being the on court leader.
Superman Begins
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject:

is that a trick question? of course it's Kobe, I voted for him
djb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Odom. Kobe is a constant, but he needs a sidekick.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Kobe...if he truly plays off the ball, he will be an unstoppable force and LAL will have a chance to play good basketball...

If he is forced to do too much, forgetaboutit...back to the lottery...

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think LO will have as big an impact as we all hope he does...at best he can be a Pippen/Magic hybrid...more likely, he's a 6'10 PG who can't shoot and can't defend PGs...
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Kwame. You need to have a post presence on the offensive end, and a big, manning the paint on the defensive end. But more so on the defensive end; if he can rebound and protect our rim, we'll be smiling this season.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject:

We know we can rely on Odom and Kobe... I think we're going to get career years from both.

That's still not enough. Kwame having a career year? We can only hope.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Superman Begins wrote:
is that a trick question? of course it's Kobe, I voted for him

People say Kobe dropped 55 on Jordan yet Jordan never guarded Kobe at all. We are all Kobe fans here, but let's not say false and ridiculous things to make ourselves feel better because no matter what, Jordan is still G.O.A.T.

^Watch the bulls/lakers game in '98 in the United Center. Jordan scored 36. Kobe scored 33. Both Jordan and Pippen took turns gaurding Kobe that game, and if memory serves correctly, I think he torched them equally. So you're probably thinking, what's the big deal, right? Jordan outscored Kobe...the Bulls won the game. Well, the big deal is, Kobe was only 19. Now that's ridiculous. I wonder what Jordan was doing when he was 19? - oh that's right he was in college. Respect cuts both ways.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject:

IMO Kwame Brown is that catalyst to a succesful season. He was brought in to send Lamar to his natural position, and give the Lakers some legitamite form of an inside presence. The Lakers gave up to much in the trade for him not to be the key. From here, he can goes two ways. He can either go on like he has, play without energy and confidence like he has (due to various reasons), leaving the lakers without the inside presence they so desparetley need, or use his God-given ability like it should be used. And while he's not carrying the team on his back with them, he will be needed to bring the best out of this team. But first he needs to bring the best out of himself.

Another key Laker (not a player) is PJ. If he can harness all the talent on this team (get kobe off the ball, make lamar a legit second option, bring the best out of kwame) the Lakers will surpise many people.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject:

I voted for Kwame. As much as you can decide something like this at this point, I think we we pretty much know what we are getting from Lamar and Kobe.

If Kwame plays up to his potential, it could really affect the teams results this season. He could be a real difference maker.

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject:

odom, he is a little too inconsistent
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject:

I think Kwame is the X-factor for us this year. Kobe is Kobe, we know what we'll get out of him. Even with injuries and a lack of an offensive (or defensive) system, Kobe still got 27-28 ppg even with a low shooting %. I think he could very well raise his game to a whole new level this year as the apex of Phil's triangle.

IMO our biggest weakness last year was the PF spot. Kwame doesn't necessarily need to be an All-Star, but he does need to be a legit, starting PF. We need defense, rebounding, tenacity, an presence in the paint, and another scoring threat besides Kobe and Odom from our PF. If Kwame gets around 13-15 pts, 8-9 rebounds, and plays good defense, I'll be satisfied with him, and barring injuries we should be in the playoffs and have somewhat of a chance of getting past the first round. And for you uber-optomists here (I know there are at least a few ), if Kwame busts out Jermaine O'Neal style and becomes an All-Star, then 50+ wins would be realistic.

However, if Kwame continues to suck and proves that he's always going to be a bust, we're going to have problems, and with our current roster missing the playoffs wouldn't be a stretch.

After that, Odom is the other key, but to a lesser extent. Even if he doesn't improve, he's good for 15-17 pts, 6-7 rbs, and 4 ast. But if he takes the next step under Phil, and becomes more aggressive and assertive, then that should get us a few extra wins.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject:

As i have always said. If Lo is our 2nd option we are screwed. I also think PJ sees LO more as a facilitator as oppose to playmaker. On the surface it HAS to be Kwame. Whether it be offensivly, defensively or both. Kwame SHOULD under PJ excel in at least one of the aforementioned categories. For all we know, Mhm under PJ could raise the playing field as well. We need more than anything for LO to get the ball to the right person and play next to shut down D, nothing more
dadliboi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject:

It has to be Kobe. He is the leader of this team, and he is the best player on the team. If anyone has any doubts about this, consider what will happen to this Laker team if Kobe happens to suffer a season-ending injury. How many games do you think they can win without Kobe?
JaySK2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject:

If Lamar Odom consistently gets the ball like he did when Kobe WAS OUT, he will consistently average around 19/10/5 like he did when Kobe WAS OUT. With Phil back in town, he wont allow Kobe to have the ball 90% of the time like he did last year when he was on the court last year. Lamar Odom is the best post player on the team, even with Kwame(who he chopped up in the post in a game against the Wizards as a Heat) on the roster. You wouldn't know it, because he hasn't been featured there very much but all this will change with Phil running the show IMO. Just ask some of the Heat fans how Lamar Odom is in the post, and they will tell you he is pretty good in the post even against PFs. So imagine what he could do against some of the SFs in the NBA, and Phil will give him that oppurtunity judging by listening to some of his comments on Odom.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Kwame is the KEY!

Kobe we know what he could do and Odom we kind of know but Kwame is the enigma that could take us all the way to the WCF if he plays up to his potiential or back to the lottery if all of Washington was right.
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject:

I think we know to some extent what we are getting from Kobe and Lamar (although running the tri without Shaq could change both of their games) so the biggest question mark is Kwame...but I don't think he is the biggest factor to our success. That would obviously be Kobe.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject:

I voted for Kwame because Kobe is a given, Lamar will definitely flourish under Phil, but Kwame is TBD.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject:

All three are obviously key...

But the fact is we had Kobe and Lamar last year. We also know that both have to play better than last year... This we all know going into the season.

The one player that can make the big difference is Kwame if he were to say finally have a break out season

So I voted for Kwame, because he is the unknown factor and could be the big difference this year as his presense is something that we did not have last year and was sorely missing.

If Kwame can significantly improve on the season before last, which is absolutely not out of the question, then we have ultimately improved immensly over last year even if Kobe and Odom only slightly improve.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
hapn14
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Lamar! Even if Kobe has a fantastic year he still needs some help for the lakers to get into the playoffs

Get Well Soon Ronny!!

LetsGo Pats!! (5-4)
Let Go Sox!!Stay Faitfull RSN Well have a nice offseason coming up!
Lets Go Lakers!! (4-4)Lac Going Down Tonight
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
eagle816
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Lamar. The Lakers need him to excel in the point forward role carved out for him in the Tri. Defensively, Lamar would never reach Pippen's status. But offensively, he has all the tools to duplicate Pippen's success.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:

it all depends on if kobe and odom mesh together,which they didnt do last year due to them only playing together for like 40-50 games. so if they can gel and kwame can give us a little better than he did in wsh,then we'll be alright.
trpldblr
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Odom without a doubt, if he can thrive in the tri-offense under the point forward role, ppl, we're in for a heck of a season.

Phil came back because of something he saw in this team, and he hasn't been shy about or even secretive. PJ, blah, blah, blah, 9 rings; ppl, he knows what he's doing.

I also believe Kwame shares some of this load, if he doesn't impress, we'll probably see Odom back at 4.
Kareem of the Crop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Every team needs a legit big. If Kwame could step it up it would make Odom and Kobe that much better!!
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Kwame. We know what Kobe will do. We don't know if Odom can reach his potential, but we have an idea what to expect from him.

As for Kwame, it's anybody's guess. If he is a sulking, unmotivated 7 and 5 guy (who he could be) we will be 10th in the West. If he is a consistant defender and can go at least 14-7 (which seems possible), then we will contend for a playoff spot. If he really is the next J.O. and goes for 18-9 and becomes option 2A or 2B (which he has shown flashess of being able to do), plus plays defense, then we are a playoff lock and a second-round threat. He is playing against the most-stacked position in the West, it is imperative for him to hold his own on both ends if the Lakers are to succeed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: