Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 476, 477, 478 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
22 wrote:
How do you have Santos beating Jones? He did less damage and had less time in control of the octagon

I thought Jones look tentative for most of the fight, and Santos landed harder shots throughout (despite working on a busted knee). I don't have a problem with the judges giving the close fight to Jones since he was the defending champ.

In terms of giving Jones credit for hurting Santos's knee, that seems like a dubious claim since Santos seemed to tear his knee on an awkward landing after throwing a kick. If anything, Santos damaged Jones's legs more than the other way around.

I'm sure Jones will rebound in his next fight. I'd like to see him fight Johnny Walker or move up to heavyweight to challenge Ngannou.

I don’t disagree. I think overall the damage Jones did was higher but Santos def landed the harder strikes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
22 wrote:
How do you have Santos beating Jones? He did less damage and had less time in control of the octagon

I thought Jones look tentative for most of the fight, and Santos landed harder shots throughout (despite working on a busted knee). I don't have a problem with the judges giving the close fight to Jones since he was the defending champ.

In terms of giving Jones credit for hurting Santos's knee, that seems like a dubious claim since Santos seemed to tear his knee on an awkward landing after throwing a kick. If anything, Santos damaged Jones's legs more than the other way around.

I'm sure Jones will rebound in his next fight. I'd like to see him fight Johnny Walker or move up to heavyweight to challenge Ngannou.

I don’t disagree. I think overall the damage Jones did was higher but Santos def landed the harder strikes

If there's a rematch and Santos is at 100%, I still think Jones will dismantle him. Jones has been on the record of saying (and proven in his fights) that he likes to fight his opponents where they're best at. Dirty boxed the hell out of Texeira. Stood and boxed with Alex the first time around. Took Cormier down and conversely stuffed every attempt from Cormier in their first fight. Alex/Cormier part 2...we saw what happens when Jon decides to stop (bleep) around and just beat the F out of someone.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
22 wrote:

If there's a rematch and Santos is at 100%, I still think Jones will dismantle him. Jones has been on the record of saying (and proven in his fights) that he likes to fight his opponents where they're best at. Dirty boxed the hell out of Texeira. Stood and boxed with Alex the first time around. Took Cormier down and conversely stuffed every attempt from Cormier in their first fight. Alex/Cormier part 2...we saw what happens when Jon decides to stop (bleep) around and just beat the F out of someone.

Agreed. And on the off chance Santos could hurt him on the feet Jones would just take him down and end him with the ground game
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

Max coasting on Edgar the last two minutes or so of Round 5 outta respect?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“Everybody says, ‘You’re taller than these ’45ers,'” Holloway told reporters, including MMA Junkie, at a media day for Saturday’s pay-per-view at Rogers Place. “I’m like a T-rex. I’ve got little short arms.

“Jose Aldo had a longer reach than me. All these guys have a longer reach than me. But it is what it is. My legs are long for some reason – maybe I slept too much when I was younger.”

Max seemed to be playing it cool and kept his belt.. that was the goal.. but the fight itself was a bit boring for my tastes

I am looking forward to Khabib losing in the first round against Poirier
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Quote:
“Everybody says, ‘You’re taller than these ’45ers,'” Holloway told reporters, including MMA Junkie, at a media day for Saturday’s pay-per-view at Rogers Place. “I’m like a T-rex. I’ve got little short arms.

“Jose Aldo had a longer reach than me. All these guys have a longer reach than me. But it is what it is. My legs are long for some reason – maybe I slept too much when I was younger.”

Max seemed to be playing it cool and kept his belt.. that was the goal.. but the fight itself was a bit boring for my tastes

I am looking forward to Khabib losing in the first round against Poirier

You really got Khabib losing (and that quickly)? I want to see Khabib vs. Tony after the Poirier fight, which I expect Khabib to get through.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject:

Khabib will most likely win but it would be great to see a TKO that early against him. He just got the highest contract ever or something like that
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

Gotcha, yea, it would be one hell of an upset! Do you guys think Nunes vs. Cyborg II happens?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Gotcha, yea, it would be one hell of an upset! Do you guys think Nunes vs. Cyborg II happens?

I think it was just yesterday I saw Dana talking (bleep) again about Cyborg

What is his strategy

Said she wants to leave UFC to get easier fights..

I think there should be a Dana vs Cyborg ufc fight

Cyborg/Nunes will happen.. Dana should be fired if he doesn't get it done.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

UFC released Cyborg. Dana with his usual lying self lol.

I think Nunes beat cyborg in a rematch base upon the defense I saw from cyborg against Spencer, but it’s sad cyborg won’t get a rematch.

Dana needs to go
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I think Nunes beat cyborg in a rematch base upon the defense I saw from cyborg against Spencer, but it’s sad cyborg won’t get a rematch.

Dana needs to go

Who else is gonna fight Nunes.. Cejudo?

If there was workplace harassment I hope some lawyer pushes her to take Dana to court for harassment .
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
22 wrote:

Dana needs to go

Who else is gonna fight Nunes.. Cejudo?

If there was workplace harassment I hope some lawyer pushes her to take Dana to court for harassment .

Bahahah!!! Yeah nunes has cleaned it out. Could do a schevchenko 3rd fight but she’s just too big. Skill for skill I think bullet is better

I can’t stand the fact that no one has figured out the Colby puzzle yet. I think to beat Colby, from the start of the fight you have to be offensive. Stick the jab hard and use lots of lateral movement to avoid take downs. Throw power shots. Colby doesn't throw hardly any power punches. All of his strikes are just to distract you so he can close the distance and wrestle and wear you down. So even if he catches you it's not gonna put you out. Gotta stay active and elusive
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

I think Usman will get him. Usman has a similar pressure style except he's tad bit better in everything Colby excels at.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I think Usman will get him. Usman has a similar pressure style except he's tad bit better in everything Colby excels at.

Same, I think Usman is too strong and too well rounded for Covington.

Really think Lawler missed a trick by not pouring it on earlier, almost feels like he spent the entire fight waiting for an opening rather than trying to force one.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Really think Lawler missed a trick by not pouring it on earlier, almost feels like he spent the entire fight waiting for an opening rather than trying to force one.

Poor Woodley..

Usman is the real deal... watch him after fights in the interviews.. fully composed and teamwork is number one..

Usman was like a million fire ants all over woodley.. how many takedowns of woodley... he never rested on a takedown.. elbow.. chin.. kindneys.. thighs.. he beat the (bleep) out of Tyron
https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/kamaru-usman-broke-records-in-ufc-235-victory-over-tyron-woodley/
Quote:
“Kamaru Usman’s 192 body strikes landed v. Woodley = new single-fight UFC record.
Usman’s total strike differential of +276 (336-60) = largest in UFC title fight history.
336 total strikes = 2nd most landed in a UFC fight.
Historic output.” – Jon Anik on Twitter.

He was the Red Bull Wings and Energizer Bunny all in one

How long does covington have to wait to fight again? Usman has been sitting awhile now
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Yup. It was Usman vs Woodley all over again
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

Finally caught the Lawler/Covington fight.

Robbie was essentially on E from the end of the first going forward and coupled with his fear of the take down, he was just a heavy bag for the remainder of the night.

Colby has a very shaky striking game and is cringe af but the dude definitely possesses motor and will. He'll get his comeuppance against Usman but should the unthinkable happen, it's gonna be hilarious from the angle of pure spectacle.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Robbie was essentially on E from the end of the first going forward and coupled with his fear of the take down, he was just a heavy bag for the remainder of the night.

Colby has a very shaky striking game and is cringe af but the dude definitely possesses motor and will. He'll get his comeuppance against Usman but should the unthinkable happen, it's gonna be hilarious from the angle of pure spectacle.

Colby has ran alongside Cameron freaking Hanes. If that isn't the epoch of conditioning...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Very shaky. How do you throw 500+ strikes and not get a tko? Lol

He’s elite at cardio, wrestling and will like JB said.

If he beats Usman I won’t be able to watch ufc for a while lol
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Uh... yeah, JB, that'll get it done.

Who you got on Diaz/Pettis?

Showtime been looking great and Diaz is on another LOOOOONG layoff but Anthony seems to gas out when under continual pressure like Ferguson did to him and that's where Nate shines. He'll be easy for Anthony to hit with his varied attack and Diaz cuts up like a medium rare wagyu filet but Nate starts slow and picks up steam as he goes so I think it's gonna be interesting because it's not easy to finish or submit those brothers. Kicks are where Showtime can really get some ground gained.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

170 is crazy rn. Who/when is ponzinibio fighting again? Woodley now training at Tristar with GSP. Apparently Kevin lee is there too. Idk man. Wonder boy still the gatekeeper in that division?
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Uh... yeah, JB, that'll get it done.

Who you got on Diaz/Pettis?

Showtime been looking great and Diaz is on another LOOOOONG layoff but Anthony seems to gas out when under continual pressure like Ferguson did to him and that's where Nate shines. He'll be easy for Anthony to hit with his varied attack and Diaz cuts up like a medium rare wagyu filet but Nate starts slow and picks up steam as he goes so I think it's gonna be interesting because it's not easy to finish or submit those brothers. Kicks are where Showtime can really get some ground gained.

I’m pulling for Anthony because he’s one of my faves, I think he packs more power at 170 and it seemed to suit him in his last outing, but Nate has a strong chin and Pettis needs to make sure that if he does pour it on that he gets the job done.

Pettis definitely the harder hitter, more skilled, and not a liability on the mat like Conor was when Nate got him down either. If Pettis is smart, he will like you say use the leg kicks to start picking Nate apart.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I think Pettis has to get it done in the first two rounds. If not the outright win,he'll at least need to get those lose kicks in and Nate loses some mobility. If Nate gest through the first 2 rounds clean, I think he wins. Nate's cardio isn't Usman/Colby but it's definitely among the best in the UFC. Pettis? Not so much.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I think Pettis has to get it done in the first two rounds. If not the outright win,he'll at least need to get those lose kicks in and Nate loses some mobility. If Nate gest through the first 2 rounds clean, I think he wins. Nate's cardio isn't Usman/Colby but it's definitely among the best in the UFC. Pettis? Not so much.

I agree. Pettis should be a bit more energetic because he won't have to cut as much weight, but at the same time Nate is durable and won't fade as much unless Pettis does a lot of damage early on.

Should be an interesting fight, pulling for Pettis to find his groove and put himself back on the map for real.

What do you guys think of DC v Stipe? I personally think Stipe gets it done this time.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I agree. Pettis should be a bit more energetic because he won't have to cut as much weight, but at the same time Nate is durable and won't fade as much unless Pettis does a lot of damage early on.

Should be an interesting fight, pulling for Pettis to find his groove and put himself back on the map for real.

What do you guys think of DC v Stipe? I personally think Stipe gets it done this time.

It's tough to call man. Hard to bet against DC though...dude's lost twice in his career, both times to the same repeat cheater. At heavyweight DC has never lost once (which is absolutely wild to me).

Did you see DC predict to a T how he'd finish Stipe before their last fight? This is some Mystic Mac type business.

https://streamable.com/gc17m
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 476, 477, 478 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 477 of 499
Jump to: