Your Top 10 favorite Jazz Musicians
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Your Top 10 favorite Jazz Musicians

Board, list your top 10 favorite jazz musicians of all time. If this has been already posted, I apologize.

Mine (in no particular order after Charlie Parker. He's my favorite):

1. Charlie Parker
2. Clifford Brown
3. Sonny Rollins
4. Lester Young
5. Art Blakey
6. J.J. Johnson
7. Coleman Hawkins
8. Hank Mobley
9. Dizzy Gillespie
10. Roy Eldridge

Edit: I edited the title to make it clear it's about who you like most, not necessarily who are the best.

Last edited by Bballguru5000 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject:

No Miles Davis or Coltrane?
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
No Miles Davis or Coltrane?

Yeah, THAT'S what I was thinkin'? Guru, you suspect now, bruh!

To leave EITHER of those 2 off a jazz list is like leaving Magic and Bird off an all time greatest players list. Blasphemy.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I like Miles Davis and Coltrane. They're great jazz musicians obviously. But those are obvious choices people make. They weren't the best at their respective instruments.

We can argue this until the end of time, but Clifford Brown was just as great of a trumpet player as was Miles Davis. But he doesn't have the name recognition among casual jazz fans.

If you ask a casual jazz fan who their favorite jazz musicians are, they immediately list Davis and Coltrane. But with respect to both (and they were truly great), they were not the greatest. Of course, this is just an opinion. This is nothing we can prove, since it's subjective.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject:

By the way, if this was a race, I'd put my money on a Cliff Brown/Sonny Rollins duo over a Davis/Coltrane duo.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Maybe not the best,... but I like Miles, Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck & Roy Ayers (jazz fusion)...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject:

(Rubs eyes...focuses...rubs eyes again...then reads following comment):

Quote:
They weren't the best at their respective instruments.

(Rubs eyes again...Gets some Visine...Applies the Visine...then re-reads that comment...Then turns off computer )
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:

Quote:

(Rubs eyes again...Gets some Visine...Applies the Visine...then re-reads that comment...Then turns off computer )

If you think Coltrane and Miles were the greatest at their respective instruments then your knowledge of jazz music is not that great, so we can't really debate this any further. You're simply going by recognizable names and whom every Jane thinks is the best.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Maybe not the best,... but I like Miles, Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck & Roy Ayers (jazz fusion)...

This thread is not about who are necessarily the best jazz musicians. It's who are your favorite jazz musicians. Good choices, Tach.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Good suggestions.... but let's not forget the inimitable Sidney Bechet.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Good suggestions.... but let's not forget the inimitable Sidney Bechet.

Definitely!
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Quote:

If you think Coltrane and Miles were the greatest at their respective instruments then your knowledge of jazz music is not that great, so we can't really debate this any further. You're simply going by recognizable names and whom every Jane thinks is the best.

This kid's hilarious. I love how he thinks his opinion is the end-all of opinions and that no one else can even chime in on, and yet it's MERELY his own "PERSONAL CHOICES" of what HE digs .

Yeah, hit me up when you can seriously breakdown "Coltrane's Sound" or "B|tches Brew," playa. Hell, you can even start with "Blue Train".
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Miles Davis
Coltrane
Brubeck
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:
TACH wrote:

This thread is not about who are necessarily the best jazz musicians. It's who are your favorite jazz musicians. Good choices, Tach.
Okay... then I'll add two more Lonnie Liston Smith , and recent one for me, Pharoah Sanders.

I'm a sucker for that 70 smooth slow funk type jazz. Got that from my parents... they would play music all the time, I use to love holding and reading every inch of the record jackets... those things were works of art.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:

This kid's hilarious. I love how he thinks his opinion is the end-all of opinions and that no one else can even chime in .

Oh, the irony.

I didn't say my opinion was the end all of all opinions. I simply listed my favorite jazz musicians, and then you chimed in about why I didn't have Miles or Coltrane in my list. Like you said above with your usage of the word "opinion." It's MY opinion.

LuxuryBrown wrote:

and yet it's MERELY his own "PERSONAL CHOICES" of what HE digs.

Why? Are you in the habit of listing choices someone else digs? Once again we come to subject of opinions. So yes, what I dig would naturally be my personal choices.

LuxuryBrown wrote:

[b]Yeah, hit me up when you can seriously breakdown...

We're not arguing about a sporting event. Anyone can throw out the line "hit me up when you can seriously breakdown..." As if that proves you know what you are talking about. What are you exactly breaking down? All you're doing is giving more opinions. But now you think your opinion is the end all be all. The irony is not missed.

LuxuryBrown wrote:

playa

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

This kid's hilarious. I love how he thinks his opinion is the end-all of opinions and that no one else can even chime in .

Oh, the irony.

I didn't say my opinion was the end all of all opinions. I simply listed my favorite jazz musicians, and then you chimed in about why I didn't have Miles or Coltrane in my list. Like you said above with your usage of the word "opinion." It's MY opinion.

LuxuryBrown wrote:

and yet it's MERELY his own "PERSONAL CHOICES" of what HE digs.

Why? Are you in the habit of listing choices someone else digs? Once again we come to subject of opinions. So yes, what I dig would naturally be my personal choices.

LuxuryBrown wrote:

[b]Yeah, hit me up when you can seriously breakdown...

We're not arguing about a sporting event. Anyone can throw out the line "hit me up when you can seriously breakdown..." As if that proves you know what you are talking about. What are you exactly breaking down? All you're doing is giving more opinions. But now you think your opinion is the end all be all. The irony is not missed.

LuxuryBrown wrote:

playa

Quote:
I didn't say my opinion was the end all of all opinions.

Then why'd you front like there's NO POSSIBLE WAY Miles and Trane couldn't be the GOATS at their respective instruments?

Quote:
Why? Are you in the habit of listing choices someone else digs?

Well, BEFORE you changed the title of the thread, you said "Greatest". So I was going off your original thread title to where I laughed at how you wanted to make your PERSONAL PREFERENCE the END ALL LIST .

Quote:
What are you exactly breaking down?

Which is exactly why I knew you wouldn't touch it, kid. See, I can smell 'em a mile away . Look before you leap - playa.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:

Then why'd you front like there's NO POSSIBLE WAY Miles and Trane couldn't be the GOATS at their respective instruments?

Because in MY OPINION they were not. Like I said, we're not arguing about a sporting event. There's nothing you can measure when looking at these things.

LuxuryBrown wrote:

Well, BEFORE you changed the title of the thread, you said "Greatest". So I was going off your original thread title to where I laughed at how you wanted to make your PERSONAL PREFERENCE the END ALL LIST .

I changed the title because I'm less interested about arguing with your types and more interested in hearing whom people like to listen to.

LuxuryBrown wrote:

Which is exactly why I knew you wouldn't touch it, kid. See, I can smell 'em a mile away . Look before you leap - playa.

This is all you've got? Oh, you're going to have to do better than that because you've still not said a damn thing that leads me to believe you know what you're talking about. So far, all you've proven is that you know the names of two famous jazz musicians. Has throwing around word groups like "I knew you wouldn't touch it, kid" and "look before you leap" ever worked for you?

But looking at your posts in the Ali-Tyson argument, this will probably turn out to be another long-winded debate where we'll probably go in circles.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:
But looking at your posts in the Ali-Tyson argument, this will probably turn out to be another long-winded debate where we'll probably go in circles.

No, we're going to nip this one in the bud. No point going 'round in circles -- everyone just gets dizzy. You guys need to switch to an "agree to disagree" mode. (BTW, I have a definite opinion on this one, but I'm not going to fuel the fire.)

Back to the topic of this thread (notice the clean segue?), FAVORITE Jazz musicians, I have a real soft spot for a few people not mentioned yet, like Satchmo, Art Tatum & Fats Waller.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

Back to the topic of this thread (notice the clean segue?), FAVORITE Jazz musicians, I have a real soft spot for a few people not mentioned yet, like Satchmo, Art Tatum & Fats Waller.

Great choices, Larry. I also have a soft spot for Louis. One of my favorite jazz numbers is a live rendition of "Pennies from Heaven" by Satchmo. If the trumpet solo in that number doesn't move you, nothing in this world ever will.
Teamof2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject:

Louis Armstrong (the legend)
Pat Metheny (the martian)
Bill Frisell (the alien)
Mike Stern ("better than slash")
Richard Bona (the mystical man from cameroon)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject:

I've only really listened to 1. And he's a jazz guitarist. His name is Robert Conti. I would really like to get into more jazz though.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject:

Kind of Blue.......nuff said
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Kind of Blue.......nuff said

Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Some other greats not yet mentioned:

Art Pepper, Cannonball Adderley, Gene Ammons, Milt Jackson, Jaco Pastorius, Wes Montgomery, Milt Jackson, Charlie Hunter, Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams...
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject:

And I can't forget about my godpops - Kenny Burrell.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: