Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayaz3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
POLL
Who get's more boos when they're in the game?
Michael Vick
Bret Farve
I vote Farve.

ishi331
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject:

This is even more pathetic than Shaq. He tried to bully the Packers and they stood up to him and he ran out. Now he's in the "I'll show you" mindset which will ultimately lead to the destruction of his already diminishing legacy. I give it 2 months tops.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject:

http://www.dealerscope.com/article/now-nfl-quarterback-brett-favre-has-finally-made-up-his-mind-playing-year-his-new-sears-commercial-finally-ready-air-411348_1.html

Quote:
Favre's Sears Commercial Set to Debut
Stephen SilverAug 19, 2009 A A A A
E-mail Article
Print Article
Rights & Reprints
Multiple Pages
Single Page
Submit a Comment
RSS Feed « 1 of 1 » 0
Now that NFL quarterback Brett Favre has finally made up his mind about playing this year, his new Sears commercial is finally ready to air.

The chain announced Tuesday that his previously announced spot, which plays on Favre's famous indecision about whether or not to continue his career, will air for the first time on Saturday.

The campaign was announced in July, shortly after Favre had said that despite a multi-month flirtation, he would not be coming out of retirement. However, on Tuesday Favre changed his mind and signed a contract to play this season with the Minnesota Vikings.

In the ad, which advertises Sears' new Blue Electronics Crew, Favre is seen having trouble deciding which TV to buy, until a Sears employee ultimately helps him choose an LED TV from Samsung.

For highlights from the ad, see the video below.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject:

Fran Tarkenton responds

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4409512&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Quote:

Tarkenton again expresses disgustComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

Fran Tarkenton, who previously has expressed his loathing over Brett Favre's inability to make a decision, spoke out again Wednesday, a day after Favre decided to sign with the Minnesota Vikings.

"I really have no interest in what Brett Favre does. He kind of lost me a few years ago by retiring and un-retiring and here and there," Tarkenton said on "The Opening Drive" on Sirius NFL Radio.

"I asked a few friends here, maybe 10 or 12 people we were out with last night. I said, 'What do you think about Brett Favre going back to the Vikings?' You know who cared? Nobody. It's good news for you guys. It's good news for television and so forth but the last time I heard ... football was a team sport, isn't it? It's not just about the quarterback."

Favre, who first retired in March 2008, came out of retirement and forced the Green Bay Packers -- with whom he had starred for 16 years -- to trade him to the New York Jets in August when the Packers declined to accept his un-retirement.

NFL Rumor Central
ESPN Insider has the updated buzz from the National Football League rumor mill.
Story

He played one season for the Jets, then retired again in February.

But rumors started bubbling again in May that Favre wasn't fully committed to retiring. Vikings coach Brad Childress communicated regularly with Favre. And Tarkenton -- a Hall of Famer who spent five seasons with the New York Giants, but is remembered for his 13 seasons with the Vikings -- made clear he was disgusted by the team's flirtation with Favre.

"I think he has been a great flamboyant quarterback, but he has made more stupid plays than any great quarterback that I've ever seen. Look at his final game in a Packers uniform. He blew that game [NFC championship] against the Giants," Tarkenton said in late May on KFAN-1130 in the Twin Cities.

At first, Favre said he would remain retired. Then he wasn't sure. He said he would let the Vikings know by July 30. Then he decided he'd stay retired. Then on Tuesday, he flew to Minnesota and signed a two-year deal worth $25 million.

"I really think the whole Brett Favre saga of retiring, un-retiring, three weeks ago [saying] 'I can't play,' the Vikings said, 'We're moving on,' it's a circus," Tarkenton said Wednesday "The Opening Drive." "It's an absolute circus, and it takes away from all the other things that are going on with the Vikings, with the NFL. We're getting ready for a football season and this is a circus and I just have no interest in it.

"Wouldn't you be upset if you're a Packer fan? I think you're going to have Packer fans burning the No. 4 Favre Green Bay jersey. I think the Packer fans have every right to be outraged."

Tony Dungy, the former Indianapolis Colts coach who retired -- and has stayed retired -- in January, was on "The Waddle and Silvy" show on ESPN 1000 in Chicago, and said Favre has a limited window in which to win over his new teammates.

"I would be very worried about that if I were the Minnesota Vikings and their head coach," Dungy said on "The Waddle and Silvy" show. "He's going to have to let them know he's as committed as they are. And get that across to them. If that happens, it could to be a big boost. If it doesn't happen, if players feel you weren't in this from the beginning ... is he really in this with us? If there were feelings for quarterbacks who were already there ... it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out."
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
POLL
Who get's more boos when they're in the game?
Michael Vick
Bret Farve
I vote Farve.

Is this even a serious question?

You can count on Favre hearing a lot of boos in week 8.

I admire him for his love for the game, but I seriously hate his guts for his continual retire then un-retire drama queen antics. It's beyond old now.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject:

I agree with Dungy. If the guy wants to play, good for him. The diva schtick is old, but ultimately I don't care. I know it's been debated, but he showed he could still play last year - that shoulder injury took a lot out of him. And he's a better option for the Vikings this season than their other guys.

The real issue is the fact that Favre decided he didn't want to do training camp. You're coming onto a new team as a leader and you can't commit to coming in to get a feel for your new teammates and sweat it out with them when they've already been there for weeks? If he comes in and helps lead them to wins in the first few games of the season it'll be a moot point, but right now it's incredibly selfish.

Anyone who had any doubts that GB may the right decision last year in going with Rogers should put them to bed. They've gotta be relieved they aren't re-living this whole nightmare all over again and Rogers looks a solid starting QB at the very least.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject:

I looked at the pre season schedule I have and see the Titans and the Cowboys tomorrow, FOX. I know Bret's going to start tomorrow will his game be televised, if so what channel, station? I've got the Vikings playing the Texans on the 31 of Aug, ESPN.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I looked at the pre season schedule I have and see the Titans and the Cowboys tomorrow, FOX. I know Bret's going to start tomorrow will his game be televised, if so what channel, station? I've got the Vikings playing the Texans on the 31 of Aug, ESPN.

Its not a national TV game unless you live in Minnesota or KC you can see the game.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Its not a national TV game unless you live in Minnesota or KC you can see the game.

Thx. I'd not be surprised if they switch the schedule to allow Minn, KC to be broadcast nationally. The Nielsen's would go through the roof.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject:

Top 10 List of why Brett Favre came out of retirement

ayaz3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Might as well kick off Favrewatch 2010 he'll appear on Leno March 4th

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/24/favre-to-visit-with-leno-on-march-4/
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Might as well kick off Favrewatch 2010 he'll appear on Leno March 4th

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/24/favre-to-visit-with-leno-on-march-4/

Maybe they can get Artie Lange for that show to make it watchable
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of Leno I find it fitting he has Favre as a guest since the whole Leno/Conan drama reminded me of Favre/Rodgers
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gl3rMTzOOByD5HAsnYUHaEdy1NdQD9FDGTQ0
Quote:

Favre tells ESPN he needs surgery to play

(AP) – 1 hour ago

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Once again, Brett Favre says he isn't sure what he wants to do.

The 40-year-old quarterback told ESPN that he needs surgery on his left ankle in order to play this season for the Minnesota Vikings. In an e-mail posted to ESPN.com on Friday, Favre said he's deciding whether to have the procedure or finally retire after 19 seasons.

Currently holding all the NFL's major career passing records, Favre will turn 41 in October. He told ESPN the injury that hobbled him three months ago in the NFC championship game still causes swelling and pain, and said orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews told him an operation is unavoidable if he wants to keep playing.

"This decision would be easy if not for my teammates and the fans and the entire Vikings staff," Favre said in the e-mail. "One year truly felt like 10 — much like Green Bay for many years. That's what I was missing in my heart I suppose, a sense of belonging."

According to ESPN, Favre didn't specify the diagnosis or elaborate on a timetable for recovery from such a surgery.

Favre's agent Bus Cook didn't immediately return messages left by The Associated Press. Vikings officials, including coach Brad Childress, were not available before a Friday afternoon rookie minicamp.

Favre was a mainstay with the Green Bay Packers before waffling on his playing status and departing in an ugly divorce that got him traded to the New York Jets. After a so-so season in New York, he announced his retirement in early 2009 for the second time, then reconsidered and signed with the Vikings.

Favre beat the Packers twice, and he was heartily booed in his appearance at Lambeau Field. With or without Favre, Green Bay should give the two-time defending NFC North champion Minnesota stiff competition for the division title next season.

"Somebody tell Brett to have that surgery so I can make up for last year!!!" Packers linebacker Nick Barnett posted on Twitter.

He enjoyed one of the best seasons of his storied career, throwing for 33 touchdowns and only seven interceptions and guiding the Vikings to a 12-4 record. They finished just short of the Super Bowl, falling in overtime to New Orleans after an ill-advised pass by Favre was picked off by the Saints to stop a promising fourth-quarter drive.

Now Favre and the Vikings are back in the same place as last year.

The quandary then was whether he wanted to have surgery to repair a partially torn biceps tendon in his right shoulder, a decision he made and didn't regret. That surgery was with Andrews, the noted physician who works in Alabama and Florida.

Favre worked out last summer at the local high school in his Mississippi hometown, and video clips of him firing passes in a cap and a cutoff T-shirt to teenage wide receivers became must-see TV as intrigue about his intention increased.

His arm took a while to feel strong and it still took some persuasion from Childress, but three weeks into training camp Favre arrived and quickly ingratiated himself into the locker room and the fan base.

Favre is under contract for $13 million this season, but that's only if he plays. The Vikings hope he does, with unproven options in Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels on the roster behind him. They declined to take a quarterback in the NFL draft last weekend.

Childress and the players have repeatedly said they're fine with Favre taking his time to recuperate, refocus and recommit to playing, even if that means again skipping the grind of training camp.
kontrast
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I want to add to the information provided in the article that was published this morning on ESPN’s website. Given the reaction to the article, and the typical conclusion jumping, I thought I’d clarify a few things.

While my ankle has been bothering me, the injury is not debilitating. For example, I’m able to work around my property without any problems. Sure – certain exercises cause some ankle pain, but it’s nothing that I haven’t experienced (or played with) before. In fact, many people don’t realize that I injured my ankle before the NFC Championship game. I’ve had surgery on this ankle twice before, and I’ve played with the pain before. The hits I took throughout the 2009 season, including the Saints game, just added to the ankle pain and likely caused some bone spurs.

I don’t believe major surgery on the ankle would be required for me to return in 2010. I’ve consulted with Dr. Andrews on the phone, and a relatively minor procedure could be done to improve the dexterity of the ankle, and to relieve the pain. I’ve put up with pain worse than this in my career, and I didn’t want anyone to assume that the possibility of surgery was the sole factor that would determine whether I return or not. Some people reacting to the ESPN story have made this assumption. I don’t blame them for doing so, given that the term “surgery” often covers a variety of procedures, some more complex than others.

The ankle pain is a factor, but one of many factors that I’ll need to consider in making my decision. Other factors include the input of my family, and the wonderful experience that I had last year with the Vikings.

-- Brett Favre

http://www.officialbrettfavre.com/
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject:

There's a wacky rumor that Grandpa Favre may join the Eagles

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/24/glazer-eagles-say-theres-no-interest-in-favre/#comments

Quote:
Glazer: Eagles say there’s no interest in Favre
Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2011, 12:57 PM EDT

Getty ImagesLast night, Howard Eskin of WIP laid the foundation for the Fourth Annual Brett Favre Unretirement, reporting that the Eagles possibly would sign the 41-year-old to back up Mike Vick.

Today, Vick said he’s fine with that possibility.

Most recently, Jay Glazer of FOX has reported, citing two unnamed Eagles sources, that the Eagles aren’t interested in Favre. Glazer’s precise words were “emphatic no.”

That said, it’s never all that clear when the Eagles are or aren’t telling the truth, either on or off the record. In this case, they could be trying to preserve Kevin Kolb’s trade value by perpetuating the notion that they will keep him if they can’t get what they want for him. If the Cardinals (or whoever) believe that the Eagles already have decided to move on from Kolb to the point that they’ve lined up a graybearded replacement, then it could be harder for the Eagles to get what they want from the Cardinals, as Marvin Hamlisch’s famous tune plays in the background.

This doesn’t mean we are disputing the accuracy of Glazer’s report. We believe that two unnamed Eagles sources told him that they’re not interested in Favre. We just don’t believe anything the Eagles say when it comes to possible personnel moves.

We used to, before coach Andy Reid said quarterback Donovan McNabb would be the starter in 2010. And before Reid said Kolb would remain the starter after being cleared to return from a Week One concussion in 2010. And before Reid said the defensive coordinator Sean McDermott would return for 2011.

Wait, we’d already decided not to believe the Eagles before the McDermott thing.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject:

This guy is still alive?

!...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject:

He's like a vampire he always returns

I don't think this is true but its hilarious either way.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject:

The Original Le Douche
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject:

I think Grandpa would consider it had the Rams been a contender.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9871023

Quote:
Source: Rams called Brett Favre

Adam Schefter says the Rams contacted Brett Favre following Sam Bradford's season-ending injury.

For all the questions about whether the Rams would call Tim Tebow after Sam Bradford suffered his season-ending knee injury, they didn't. They called a bigger-name, higher-profile quarterback.

Mike and Mike

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter says the Rams contacted Brett Favre following Sam Bradford's season-ending injury, but Favre wasn't interested in coming out of retirement.

More Podcasts »
After the team lost Bradford to a season-ending knee injury, St. Louis called Brett Favre on Sunday night, asking whether the 44-year-old retired quarterback, who is now a grandfather, would be willing to leave his farm to plow through the back half of the Rams' schedule, league sources said.

Favre hasn't played since December 2010, but that didn't stop the Rams from reaching out to Favre's agent, Bus Cook.

One source familiar with the Rams' conversations said that if Favre took them up on their interest, "it could break Twitter."

Yet the man who famously wavered over whether to play too many times to count didn't waver this time. Through Cook, Favre told the Rams that he was retired -- actually, really, officially.

Brett Favre, who last played in 2010 with the Vikings, made it clear in a radio interview Thursday that he's retired for good.
Favre was asked about the Rams' interest in an interview with ESPN 570 Radio in Washington on Thursday and made it clear he is not returning to the NFL.

"It's flattering, but you know there's no way I'm going to do that," he said.

Favre said his 2010 NFL season with the Minnesota Vikings, when a shoulder injury ended his consecutive-starts streak at 297, convinced him it was time to stop playing.

"I had a great career. I think if anything, the last year that I played was an obvious writing-on-the-wall vision for you, if you will," he said. "It was time."

Favre said he's "content" with his life away from the game.

"My family took a backseat for 20 years. My 14-year-old daughter plays volleyball and is in the ninth grade and will be playing again the next three years. I've taken trips that I never thought I'd take. I've gone to Yellowstone and I've gone to Glacier National Park. ... We've gone down to the Bahamas, we've done things that really everybody in my family just kind of waited for.

And even if he did have any hopes of returning, he said Thursday that his body won't allow it.

"I'm like a yardstick, I'm so stiff," he said. "So I'm just trying to ... not stay in shape to play, but stay in shape to do everyday things, not only with my daughter and my wife and my grandson, but really just for me."

The Rams ended up signing veteran quarterback Brady Quinn, who had been released by the New York Jets earlier this week, and brought back Austin Davis, who spent the 2012 season and the 2013 preseason with the team. Both quarterbacks will back up Kellen Clemens, who will get his first start this season when the Rams host the Seattle Seahawks on Monday night.

Davis, who like Favre played at the University of Southern Mississippi, holds most of the school's passing records. He also has Cook as his agent.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject:

Am I the only Favre fan in here? I was hoping the ole gunslinger would return to the Rams. It'd be interesting to see him play. Would he be the oldest quarterback in NFL history?
kwest80
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:
Am I the only Favre fan in here? I was hoping the ole gunslinger would return to the Rams. It'd be interesting to see him play. Would he be the oldest quarterback in NFL history?

George Blanda played when he was 48.

As for Favre, I read a similar article talking about how he's starting to forget things, like the time his daughter played soccer over a summer. This is probably one of the big reasons he's not coming back.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/04/brett-favre-confirms-2015-packers-hof-jersey-retirement/

Quote:
Brett Favre confirms 2015 Packers HOF, jersey retirement

On Sunday evening, the Packers released a statement about a Monday announcement concerning the team’s Hall of Fame and Brett Favre.

It didn’t take Thomas Magnum to put two and two together and guess that the Packers would be announcing the date that Favre would be enshrined alongside other Packer greats. One could also speculate that there might be some word about when the team would retire Favre’s No. 4, especially since CEO Mark Murphy had spoken about conversations with Favre about the topic.

The announcement is set for Monday afternoon, but Favre spilled the beans on his website Sunday night. He’ll be entering the Hall and having his jersey retired in 2015.

“I’m pleased to announce that I will be returning to Green Bay, Wisconsin in 2015 for induction into the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame and retirement of my jersey. It was a tremendous honor to play 16 years for the Green Bay Packers. Now to have my name placed among others such as Starr, Hornung, Kramer, Taylor, Lambeau, Nitschke, Lombardi, Davis, White and Hutson is a special honor that I share with all of my teammates and coaches, and that would not have been possible but for the foresight of Ron Wolf, the greatest GM In the history of the NFL. I’m truly looking forward to celebrating and sharing this special moment with all of the great fans of the Green Bay Packers.”

With a call to Canton almost certainly coming in 2016, there will be plenty of celebrations of his career in the near future but none figure to be more memorable than his return to the Packers fold next year.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject:

Probably the only way they can get someone to actually want to watch the inevitable beatdown the Bears will receive that night.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/21/report-packers-to-retire-favres-jersey-on-thanksgiving/

Quote:
Report: Packers to retire Favre’s jersey on Thanksgiving

Packers fans may be spending Thanksgiving night giving thanks to Brett Favre.

Reports ahead of Tuesday night’s release of the 2015 schedule have the Packers playing host to the Bears on Thanksgiving night and it seems the Packers have more than just a turkey dinner at the stadium planned for the occasion.

Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the Packers are planning to retire Brett Favre’s jersey that night as well. Favre will be inducted into the team’s Hall of Fame in July and it’s been expected for some time that Favre’s jersey retirement would also take place at Lambeau Field during the 2015 season.

The drama and sharp words that accompanied Favre’s departure from Green Bay in 2008 made for an unhappy end to a great career with the Packers and his two years with the Vikings helped push the happy memories even further into the past, but all wounds should be healed on what’s setting up to be a memorable night in Green Bay.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: