The Brett Favre Soap Opera Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks, with my fantasy league draft coming up in a few weeks, I should have known that.
L33T kObE8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject:

I've been a Packers fan and a Brett Favre fan my whole life, and this is my take on this unfortunate mess.

Though Brett gets bashed a lot on this forum and people call him overrated, this whole Brett Favre thing is similar to if Shaq retired at the end of his career and then wanted to come back but we already started grooming a new starting C. Of course the glaring difference is that Shaq has been away from the team and could theoretically play about half the game even not starting while Brett is the QB of the team, the only player on offense that takes every snap.

Anyway to give you the initial emotional reaction of a hardcore Packers fan, I felt bad for Aaron Rodgers but at the same time Favre retired as a top 3 QB in the league last season and led an EXTREMELY young Packers team to being a few plays away from the Superbowl. Yes, he played very poorly against the Giants, but after last season I was willing to welcome Brett back with open arms. This all changed when he clearly as Mike McCarthy described, was not in the right mental state to lead that football team.

I love Favre as a player and he will go down in the history books as a top 5 QB of all time no matter what happens from here on out, but the man is just not stable emotionally. McCarthy was basically giving Brett Favre a clear ride back to his starting role by having an open competition for the spot, but Brett was unwilling to do that. He keeps bringing up things that have been said in the last month or so and just won't shut up about it. Aaron Rodgers this season will not take us as far as Brett could have (had he been mentally stable) but I'm willing to move on at this point and get rid of him. You can understand why Packer fans do not want to release him because the 2 teams in division that he could go to both having extreme weaknesses at the QB position. However, I am content with the rumors of him going to Tampa Bay because they are not a threat. I expect him to just do average this season and then contemplate retiring again. As for Green Bay, if Rodgers continues to improve and plays like he did against Dallas last season then we have a definite shot at a wild card spot (assuming Minnesota gets better and wins the division).

To summarize: Brett, please leave and never come back.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Ouch.

I'm not a Packer fan, but L33T kObE8 your post makes perfect sense to me. Favre is/was a great player with an incredibly loyal fan base in GB. To see that relationship between player/fans/city being destroyed is kinda sad as it's rare enough these days. It's too bad this was handled so badly by everyone involved.
L33T kObE8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Yeah it is very unfortunate. The only person I really blame is Brett Favre. He wanted to be lifted up by his teammates and cheering fans and begged to play again and that was just not going to happen. When McCarthy said it is an open contest for the starting QB role he was basically telling Favre he was the starter and Favre was just too emotional to handle it.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject:

I guess its not easy being a Packers fan these days I know one myself and she's convinced the sports world hates her.

Anyways if Favre goes to Tampa, Jeff could go back to San Fran.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2247021
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"Did I wake up this morning and feel I should be at practice over there? No," Favre said. "I watched that scrimmage Sunday night and it didn't seem so strange that I wasn't out there, so maybe the writing was on the wall then."

Are you kidding me with that statement...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
L33T kObE8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Quote:
"Did I wake up this morning and feel I should be at practice over there? No," Favre said. "I watched that scrimmage Sunday night and it didn't seem so strange that I wasn't out there, so maybe the writing was on the wall then."

Are you kidding me with that statement...

This is what I mean. Favre expects to walk onto the practice field and have his former teammates tripping over their own feet and not knowing how to run a play without him there. He's been so secure in his spot in Green Bay for the last 15 years and hasn't ever seen a game played in which he was not the starting quarterback. The man acts like he's 5 years old and just realized that the lives of people at school go on when he's not there.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Don't know if it was mentioned in this thread, but...

after family night at the Packers facility, Favre wanted to go into the locker room and the Head of Security told him: "I'm sorry Bret, I can't let you in!!"

Thats sad.

Packers should have just gave the man his release when he first asked for it. Just my opinion though.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Now it's being reported he's heading to the Jets....

The NY media is going love this...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Brett Favre is now a Jet!!!

WOW!
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Pennington up to be moved then?
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
easybreeze wrote:
Al Davis would have handled his a$$, much differently.

There is a reason Al Davis drafts in the top 5 most seasons. I wouldn't hold his management style up as an example of anything positive.

I'm not. His track record speaks for itself. Like the guy or not, he could care less about PR stuff.

He sure as heck not going to give 25 million for a player to disappear.

Let the guy suit up, at his age, there's a high probability that he gets injured anyway. The physical he just had, already showed that he has an abdominal injury.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:

I hope that means the Soap Opera is over and we can get back to our regular scheduled lives.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:
I hope that means the Soap Opera is over and we can get back to our regular scheduled lives.
Me too... but since I live in the NYC Metro area, this is just the beginning!
Carlos Lehder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:

No way. Now that Brett is in NYC he will be on ESPN 24/7. It will be Joba Chamberlain/Brett Favre for atleast the next 14 months.
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Pennington up to be moved then?
I see him reuniting with old friend Herm Edwards in KC.....
SladeRider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Should of never retired, if he wasn't 100% sure about retiring, don't do it.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:

you poor misguided fool this will only get worse. It wouldn't surprise me if Favre chose the Jets to feed his need for constant attention.

The only people that benefit from this are A-Rod and Eli Manning.

A-Rod so they'll not talk about his messy divorce and playoff letdowns

Eli, well if he has a bad game they just won't care.

Leave it to Favre to make the SB champions NY Giants irrelevant in their own city.
KobeJaws
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject:

Wow Brett Favre a Jet?? That is going to look weird.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject:

Thank goodness this has been cleared up... now I can sleep tonight:

Quote:
EA Sports told FOX Business that on Tuesday when the game is scheduled to be released, customers can go online to the company's Web site to download and print out a new game cover featuring Favre wearing a Jets jersey rather than in the familiar Packers jersey already gracing the game's cover.

"Madden Football" is easily one of the best-selling video game titles of all-time and is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year. EA Sports had chosen Favre after he decided to retire following the Packers' defeat at the hands of the New York Giants during last year's playoffs.

The game publisher also told FOX Business a new roster patch featuring Favre as a Jet can be automatically downloaded for users of Sony's (SNE: 38.57, -0.90, -2.28%) Playstation and Microsoft's (MSFT: 27.45, +0.43, +1.59%) Xbox game consoles. EA said the roster patch won't be available for Nintendi's Wii system. Given his retirement, Favre wasn't originally included on the game's roster.

While EA Sports said Favre will remain in Packers gear in many promotional materials that have already been printed, the company already changed the game's homepage to reflect the trade.

The "Madden" cover tends to draw extra attention as some fans claim a jinx exists following a number of high-profile injuries and setbacks to those players who've appeared on the cover.

Article
Buddha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject:

I've already seen Joe Montana as a KC Chief, so whatever.
KobeJaws
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Thank goodness this has been cleared up... now I can sleep tonight:

TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Damn... that didn't take long... you would have thought Chad was on the cover of Madden 2009 or something. Will there be a patch for that too...

Quote:
Jets Release Quarterback Chad Pennington After Favre Trade
2008-08-07 20:06:15.40 (New York)

By Aaron Kuriloff
Aug. 7 (Bloomberg) -- The New York Jets cut quarterback
Chad Pennington after trading for Brett Favre, the National
Football League's three-time Most Valuable Player.

Pennington, 32, compiled a 32-29 record with the Jets since
being selected in the first round of the 2000 NFL draft and led
the team to the postseason after the 2002, 2004 and 2006
seasons, winning two playoff games.

``I appreciate everything Chad Pennington has given to the
Jets organization,'' team owner Woody Johnson said in a
statement released by the team.

--Editor: Jay Beberman
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject:

http://www.tmz.com/2008/08/07/brett-favre-sells-out-new-jersey/#comments

Favre sells out his new jersey(pardon the pun) in a single day!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Life sucks for Aaron Rodgers :disagree:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/08/rodgers-trying-to-deal-with-pro-favre-crowd.aspx

Quote:
Rodgers trying to deal with pro-Favre crowd
By Tom Silverstein
Friday, Aug 8 2008, 12:26 PM
Green Bay -- After addressing a large contingent of media at his locker this morning, Aaron Rodgers spoke casually with a couple of newspaper reporters and spoke of some of the things he's had to put up with during training camp.

Rodgers said he's been handling the boos with no problem, but some of the personal attacks have bothered him. Probably every practice there's one or two pro-Brett Favre people who are yelling things loud enough for the players to hear them.

But Rodgers said he hears things off the field, too.

"I understand it to some point if I put myself into a Favre fanatic's shoes," Rodgers said of getting booed. "The things I can't understand, the things I really take personally, is when I'm driving up to the (parking lot) gate and punching in my punch code and somebody says ‘F.U.' to me. That kind of bothers me. Or when a little kid is yelling swear words at me. That kind of gets to me. The boos, they expect a high level of play and they miss Brett Favre. I understand that. But the ‘F.U.' and the little kids saying swear words to me, I don't understand that."

Rodgers said it's happened to him about a half dozen times. Asked how he responds to such things, he said:

"What can you do. Do people really feel better about themselves after they say stuff like that to me? It's disappointing. I'm not too dumb, I'm not going to say anything back to them. It's not my style, it's against my religion. The boos I can understand those, the other stuff I can't. I can't really understand that. It's not very classy."

There was a fan who was particularly loud at practice this morning and was pretty much all over coach Mike McCarthy, general manager Ted Thompson and Rodgers.

"Was that (Allen) Barbre's dad?" Rodgers joked.

Asked what he made of someone being that vocal, Rodgers said:

"I heard him yell a couple things. I'm not going to make a judgment about someone like that. It's Friday, they're here, it's a Packers practice. If you're going to root for the Jets, you don't have come to Packers practice and yell stuff like he was yelling at me. Does he feel better about himself after doing that. That's my question."

As for the kind of treatment he'll receive at games, Rodgers said he isn't too worried. He said couldn't ever see himself responding to fans the way Mike Holmgren did at halftime of a game at Lambeau Field in 1998 or flipping off the hometown fans the way Jake Plummer did in Denver severals ago.

"No," he said. "You hear it. It's been fun on the road when people are talking trash to you. You kind of like that. But when it's at home? The funniest thing was a couple of days ago when somebody was yelling at James Campen thinking he was Mike McCarthy. He was yelling something like, ‘C'mon, just apologize to Brett, c'mon McCarthy.' I was like, ‘McCarthy?' I was trying to look for coach, coach isn't even out here. I realized he was yelling at James Campen. They look like twins."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: