The Brett Favre Soap Opera Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: The Brett Favre Soap Opera Thread

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3517219

Quote:

Updated: August 3, 2008, 11:23 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reinstated Brett Favre on Sunday, the three-time MVP told ESPN's Ed Werder.

The Packers couldn't confirm the reinstatement, and said because it wasn't an offical business day for the league it wasn't possible Sunday.

Nevertheless, Favre was prepared Sunday to fly to Green Bay.

ESPN's Wendi Nix reported from Green Bay that Favre's plane was scheduled to touch down at 6:30 ET, though he didn't plan to attend the sold-out Packers Family Night at Lambeau Field, which more than 60,000 fans were expected to attend.

Packers officials planned to greet Favre upon his arrival to Green Bay. Favre was expected to report to training camp Monday by 1 p.m. ET, when the Packers say they will be prepared to make a roster move.

On Saturday, Goodell said he hoped the situation would be resolved by Monday, by which team and league sources told ESPN's Wendi Nix that he was expected to act on the reinstatement.

Goodell visited the Cincinnati Bengals' training camp on Saturday before heading north to Canton, Ohio, for the weekend's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

"I'm not trying to interject myself," Goodell said in Georgetown, Ky., according to The Associated Press. "I was interjected into it because there was a tampering charge initially. I'm not looking for things to interject myself to. It's an issue that needs to be addressed because of the competing interests. You want to make sure it's done properly and within our rules. This is an issue that ultimately has to be decided between Brett and the Packers."

The Packers hold Favre's rights until his current contract expires after the 2010 season.

NFC North

ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert writes about all things NFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation
Tensions have built between Favre and the team over the past several weeks.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy again praised his players for not allowing the Favre situation to distract them.

"What's going on between Brett and the organization is something that the players and coaches, we cannot handle," McCarthy said Saturday. "We're not involved in it. I think they did a good job from a responsibility standpoint dealing with it for about two days, but the focus has been on improving."

Earlier this week, Favre sent a letter to Goodell requesting to be reinstated from the team's reserve/retired list. But Goodell has held off approving the request, hoping the two sides could resolve their differences.

"Primarily, it starts with the fact, does Brett want to play football?" Goodell said. "The second is, do the Packers want him to play for the Packers. Those are the two principal points that have to be resolved. And only two parties can make that determination, not me."

Goodell said both parties are being "reasonable."

"They're difficult, emotional issues," Goodell said. "They're important to the future of both of them."

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:27 am; edited 2 times in total
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject:

I'll believe it when I see it
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject:

True this is Favre he could change his mind about this 5 minutes later.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Ed Warder was on ESPN like 2 hours ago saying that Farve was not going to take the money.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject:

This is Favre like I said he could change his mind in 5 minutes
Skate
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject:

I would totally take the money if I were him. Even if he decides to play; how many more years do you think he'll play? Getting paid 20 million for two years to do nothing sounds like a steal. He needs to take the money run!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments in life that take our breath away"
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject:

Recap of yesterday/today:

ESPN reports that Farve is not considering the money
1 hour later: Farve is strongly considering taking the money
12 hours later: Farve is reinstated

KBryantisclutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject:

So he retired again just for the tribute?
I do not believe that he even wanted to retire at the end of 2008. He didn't just all of a sudden change his mind. If he did change his mind. . .but won't take 20mil to change his mind back to retire. . .there's no way he wanted to retire. Just a bluff.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/2008/08/espn_schedules_special_brett_f.html

Quote:
ESPN schedules special Brett Favre SportsCenter
ESPN is offering a special SportsCenter at 12:30 p.m. to cover the late arrival of one of the Packers to camp.

Starting next Monday, there will be no more special late morning/early afternoon SportsCenters, as there will be regularly scheduled SportsCenters live from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every day.

Now that that free ad for ESPN is out of the way . . . I shall write my Tuesday newspaper column.

If you don't care about Brett Favre, enjoy the PBA's 1998 Indianapolis Open on ESPN Classic at noon.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject:

I hope he turns down the money... and the Packers don't trade him... make him back up Rogers....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject:

No way he can back up Rogers - it'll be a farce. How does Favre possibly lose in a training camp battle unless he absolutely can't hit his receivers? And if for some reason they have him open up as a back up every time Rogers does something wrong the Packers faithful will be buzzing for Favre. They should do Rogers a favor and make him the backup again. Everything else is just games that do Rogers no favors.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
No way he can back up Rogers - it'll be a farce. How does Favre possibly lose in a training camp battle unless he absolutely can't hit his receivers? And if for some reason they have him open up as a back up every time Rogers does something wrong the Packers faithful will be buzzing for Favre. They should do Rogers a favor and make him the backup again. Everything else is just games that do Rogers no favors.

(bleep) him... he shouldn't of retired then... make him ride the pines until he gets the message, and finally goes away....

This is such BS... every year for the past 4 years he's held the Packers hostage... plus it's not like this guy is Montana or Elway... go away Brett...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:

Benching Rodgers and starting Favre would make the Packers look monumentally stupid. They've had Rodgers back this entire time saying he's their starter. To all the sudden decide to bench the guy they like and give the starting job to a guy they tried to make go/stay away would make them look like complete jackasses. There's no way they can bring Brett back as a starter if Rodgers is still there.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject:

I don't see how the Packers can afford a 12 mil backup QB with the rigid salary structure in the NFL. If they don't plan on playing Favre, they need to trade him.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject:

^^ They tried that... the Packers had a deal in place with the Jets... but Favre blocked it...
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Socks wrote:

Benching Rodgers and starting Favre would make the Packers look monumentally stupid. They've had Rodgers back this entire time saying he's their starter. To all the sudden decide to bench the guy they like and give the starting job to a guy they tried to make go/stay away would make them look like complete jackasses. There's no way they can bring Brett back as a starter if Rodgers is still there.

Yup, that's the predicament the Pack have built for themselves.

But really, in a best case scenario Rogers is going to have his ups and downs with his first real taste of playing time. There is no way he's a better QB than Favre right now unless for some reason Favre suddenly can't hit the side of a barn or can't run at all. How can the Pack possibly install Rogers as the QB now and message to their fans that they are giving their best effort to win the superbowl if Rodgers is the starter when Favre had a great regular season last year? This is a disaster waiting to happen one way or another - the Pack are simply screwed.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
^^ They tried that... the Packers had a deal in place with the Jets... but Favre blocked it...

Once he reports to camp, he will be unable to block anything! I hope they trade him to the worst team!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Is Favre Cajun for drama queen?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject:

hig wrote:
TACH wrote:

Once he reports to camp, he will be unable to block anything! I hope they trade him to the worst team!

Then they wouldn't be the worst team anymore.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Socks wrote:

(bleep) him... he shouldn't of retired then... make him ride the pines until he gets the message, and finally goes away....

This is such BS... every year for the past 4 years he's held the Packers hostage... plus it's not like this guy is Montana or Elway... go away Brett...

There's a story going around that Goodell is forcing their hand here: Either be serious about playing Favre or trade him. Hence the 180 on the whole "Aaron Rodgers is our starting QB"

Not sure how true that is but it would explain the change of heart.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
TACH wrote:
Socks wrote:

There's a story going around that Goodell is forcing their hand here: Either be serious about playing Favre or trade him. Hence the 180 on the whole "Aaron Rodgers is our starting QB"

Not sure how true that is but it would explain the change of heart.

Somewhere Marcus Allen is saying, "Ain't this some ish, where was the commissioner when Bernie Lomax banished me to the bench for years...."
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Goodell was probably in college around that time and Tagliabue could care less..(or was it Rozelle?)
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Goodell was probably in college around that time and Tagliabue could care less..(or was it Rozelle?)

It was Rozelle, but by then Pete was probably tired of dealing with Al.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject:

I think most people are at some point, however now Al Davis is a shadow of his former self. He looks like death now.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I think most people are at some point, however now Al Davis is a shadow of his former self. He looks like death now.
Hence the name Bernie Lomax... For the record, I'm a diehard Raiders fan... watching Marcus Allen waste away on the bench killed me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: