Last Roster Spot Provides Battle in Summer League
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersFTW
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Joe Crawford vs Coby Karl??

the summer league is coming up folks!

Who do you think will make the team?
Heyvoon24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject:

i didnt see crawford play yet to make a judegement, but by looking at his vids you can see he is always aggresively trying to get in the paint.

Karl is more perimeter orientated and probably a better shooter.

If we make moves to add vets I don't see either making the squad (especially if they add Yue this year)
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject:

I'm hoping Crawford can somehow play the combo guard that the Lakers need. He's decent at going to the rack and finishing at the rim. Crawford, Karl, and Kemp have their work cut out for them.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject:

I think Karl is a sleeper, a la Sasha, that is going to pay off in a few years.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject:

We'll find out after Summer League. I hope its Crawford though.
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I think Karl is a sleeper, a la Sasha, that is going to pay off in a few years.

I agree... Karl has deceptive athleticism, nice length, and a nice basketball IQ. His shot seems spot on as well and he isn't a defensive sieve. All of that combined seems that it would give him a decent shot of sticking in the league.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Summer League Team to Feature Roster Battle Between Karl and Crawford

Quote:
Karl, who bounced back and forth between the Lakers and their D-League owned team, the Los Angeles Defenders, is signed for the 2008-2009 season. Karl played in 17 games with the Lakers and 17 games with the Defenders. He averaged 17.5 points and 4.2 assists, in the D-League. He scored a total of 30 points in 71 minutes of NBA play.

“He had a great training camp and he deserved to make the team,’’ Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said. “His ability to come in and be able to play was good and he even helped us win a couple of games. His move back and forth between us and the D-League was seamless.’’

However, this summer sessions looms as very crucial for Karl’s future with the Lakers, according to Kupchak.

“He definitely will have to show improvement in order for him to make the team,’’ Kupchak said. “He knows that there’s no room for him to rest on his laurels."

Kupchak said the basketball staff will watch keenly the play of both Karl and Crawford, who was the 58th overall selection in last month’s NBA draft. Because he was drafted in the second round, Crawford will not have a guaranteed contract.

“We like his game,’’ Kupchak said. “He’s a big guard. He can handle the ball, shoot the ball and make plays. His body bodes well for the NBA.’’

Kupchak said what the basketball staff would be looking for out of Crawford and the other free agent hopefuls is if their play merits them being invited to training camp in October.

“Typically, guys drafted in the 50s have to earn their way into training camp,’’ Kupchak said.

Although Karl and Crawford won’t be in a fierce competitive situation this summer, come training camp there is a strong possibility that they will be battling each other for a roster spot.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm on record that Karl will stick in the league. Just needs to adjust to speed and physicality. Has all the tools.
LakersRBack21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Lets be honest. If its about talent . Karl has much more talent than Sasha. Anyone whos seen this kid play even for a short time can tell .
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject:

LakersRBack21 wrote:
Lets be honest. If its about talent . Karl has much more talent than Sasha. Anyone whos seen this kid play even for a short time can tell .

I don't know abut more talent, but he's a better athlete. It remains to be seen whether his shooting is as good as Sasha's at this level.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject:

I think Crawford can definitely make the team. He has more upside than fans think. Whether he proves that or not in training camp is anyone's guess.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LakersRBack21 wrote:

I don't know abut more talent, but he's a better athlete. It remains to be seen whether his shooting is as good as Sasha's at this level.

Didn't Phil go on record and say Karl was the best pure shooter on the team?
cmd34
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I'm hoping Sun Yue makes the roster over Karl and Crawford.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:
24 wrote:
LakersRBack21 wrote:

Haven't seen that one. I do know that Sasha finally got that lightning quick release to work in games. Have not seen Karl get there yet.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:
24 wrote:
LakersRBack21 wrote:

Haven't seen that one. I do know that Sasha finally got that lightning quick release to work in games. Have not seen Karl get there yet.

I'm not sure where I heard it. I'm thinking it was John Ireland on a Laker pregame on KCAL who mentioned it while talking about Karl. I could be mistaken, of course.
Fishlakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Karl has a lightning quick release too, time will tell if he's got the mental game like Sasha has to play in the NBA. Would love to see it happen though, and I like the Crawford kid too, I think he could be a real player for this team down the road.
Game 3 Victory in Denver . Mostly they were talking about Fisher's speech, the kind that might one day be put on T-shirts and repeated on the corner of 11th and Figueroa, words fit for a parade, his Lakers stepping into their destiny. L.A. Times 2009
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Will Karl get bonus points because he knows the triangle? Lakers have enough stand still shooters on the roster, time to fill another need IMO. Find a big or combo guard to develop.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Will Karl get bonus points because he knows the triangle? Lakers have enough stand still shooters on the roster, time to fill another need IMO. Find a big or combo guard to develop.

Karl should develop into more than a standstill shooter, IMO. He has good handles, ridiculously long arms, and is a far quicker/ better athlete than his appearance would indicate. He does need a strong dose of the weight room, but i can se him as a combo guard.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Is there a person here that thinks Walton is better than Karl.

I don't
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

I don't

Here on LG Walton's value is less than a sea urchin's.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

I don't

Gary Vitti > Luke Walton
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Karl should develop into more than a standstill shooter, IMO. He has good handles, ridiculously long arms, and is a far quicker/ better athlete than his appearance would indicate. He does need a strong dose of the weight room, but i can se him as a combo guard.

Karl's athleticism and wingspan really surprised me. I thought he actually had a strong build as well?(can't remember) As for him putting the ball on the floor? Not sure about that.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Perfect Makes Practice wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

I don't

Gary Vitti > Luke Walton

While they both may be very limited players, one thing is for sure: Karl sure is a lot cheaper.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject:

LakersRBack21 wrote:

Never.

Don't mistake massive wingspan for talent.

Yue > Crawford

Sasha > Karl

Although, I would really like Crawford to make the team. If he does, he'd be a hell of a compliment to Bryant.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakersFTW
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Mike@LG"]
LakersRBack21 wrote:
If he does, he'd be a hell of a compliment to Bryant.

I agree, the one thing Lakers need most are slashers to can break down the defense on fast breaks

only player that can do it (consistantly) is kobe
Farmar has occasional moments but I won't put him on the list and Ariza doesn't get enough playing time to even try to
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: