Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See

You can list any sport. All matchups are based the players/teams in their primes unless indicated:

1 - Ali vs Tyson
2 - 95 Rockets vs 96 Bulls (Finals)
3 - Wilt vs Shaq (1-on-1)
4 - Kobe vs Jordan (1-on-1)
5 - Kobe vs Doc (1-on-1)
6 - 96 Bulls vs 01 Lakers (Finals)
7 - Sugar Ray Leonard vs Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather
8 - Tiger vs Jack (Masters)
9 - Sampras vs Federer (Wimbeldon)
10 - Federer vs Borg (Wimbeldon)

I know I've forgotten some, but off the top of my dome, this is what I wanna see.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject:

2003-2004 USC Trojans vs. 2007 Atlanta Falcons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject:

Me vs MikeDee
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject:

1.71-72 Lakers vs. 95-96 Bulls
2. '88 Dodgers vs. '02 Angels (battle of the "cinderella" stories)
3. Marciano vs. Ali
4. Kobe prime vs Jordan prime
5. 87-88 Lakers vs. 07-08 Celtics
6. Shaq vs Wilt
7. Nash vs Maravich

can't think of anymore
melo061
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Kobe vs MJ would be my favored match up. I'd think Michael would in a close close game.

Perfect music.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See

LuxuryBrown wrote:
You can list any sport. All matchups are based the players/teams in their primes unless indicated:

1 - Ali vs Tyson
5 - Kobe vs Doc (1-on-1)

I know I've forgotten some, but off the top of my dome, this is what I wanna see.

Tyson doesn't deserve to be in the same ring as Ali,.. but hey, I'm always down to see Tyson get his ass handed to him... Leonard (my second favorite fighter after the Greatest of all Time) Vs Mayweather would be great... but I think Leonard beats that ass!

Tiger Vs Jack would be an all-time classic....

I'll add Armstrong Vs LeMond, '87 Lakers Vs '01 Lakers, and for ish and giggles, I go would love to see Phelps Vs Spitz....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject:

2001 Lakers vs any 1960s Celtics.

I'd love to see the Lakers demolish that overhyped team.

1987 Lakers vs 1986 Celtics

Do these all have to be hypothetical, cause I would love to see again some of those old 1980s Wimbledon matches between Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Ali vs Tyson
5 - Kobe vs Doc (1-on-1)

Tyson doesn't deserve to be in the same ring as Ali,.. but hey, I'm always down to see Tyson get his ass handed to him... Leonard (my second favorite fighter after the Greatest of all Time) Vs Mayweather would be great... but I think Leonard beats that ass!

I'll add Armstrong Vs LeMond, '87 Lakers Vs '01 Lakers, and for ish and giggles, I go would love to see Phelps Vs Spitz....

Then obviously you haven't seen prime Mike Tyson! I've seen prime Ali get knocked down by scrubs, a prime Mike Tyson would easily bank Ali. Don't think "Legacy" think "PRIME".
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Mike Tyson in his prime vs. Paul Pierce in a boxing match.

- Andy Warhol
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Ali vs Tyson
5 - Kobe vs Doc (1-on-1)

Then obviously you haven't seen prime Mike Tyson! I've seen prime Ali get knocked down by scrubs, a prime Mike Tyson would easily bank Ali. Don't think "Legacy" think "PRIME".

Gotta disagree there Lux. Tyson in his prime was not much more than a bull, a stronger, less skilled Frazier. He benefitted from beating a lot of tomato cans, developing a fearsome rep, and coming up when there wasn't much available to fight him (remember this is when Michael Spinks was a legitimate heavyweight contender). Most of his opponents had buckling knees stepping into the ring (think Spinks again). The first guy who wasn't scared of him AND wasn't too macho to stand toe to toe AND had a decent strategy to expose his weaknesses (stamina, footwork, reach, and patience) beat him like a drum. I know, I know, you're going to say he didn't take Douglas seriously, and didn't train properly, but fact was, all of what was exposed by Douglas was always there.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject:

^^ I agree with 24, Ali took down Liston twice...Liston was all the animal Tyson was in the ring, during his prime... and Big George Forman, in his prime would take out Tyson, in his prime, IMO.

Ali is considered the Greatest of All Time for a reason!!!
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Ali vs Tyson
5 - Kobe vs Doc (1-on-1)

I saw Tyson throughout his (sad, pathetic) career, starting when he was a regular on Top Rank Boxing (ESPN) and Tuesday Night Fights (USA Network). LIke I posted early, Ali is considered the Greatest of All Time for a reason...
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm siding with TACH and 24 on this one. Tyson in his prime was one of the most ferocious and nastiest fighters ever, but Ali in his prime was something else. I'd love to see it, don't get me wrong, but I just think Ali would win handily. Give me "Punch-Out" era Tyson vs. "Ernie Terrell" era Ali. That would be epic to see.

I can't think of 10, so here's a couple I thought of
Koufax vs. Bonds
Nolan Ryan vs. Jeff Kent - not that this is any sort of epic battle, but I'd like to see what happens if Ryan threw at Kent and he charged the mound. I'd be crossing my fingers for some "Ventura-ization".
Borg vs. Nadal (French Open)
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Ali vs Tyson
5 - Kobe vs Doc (1-on-1)

Gotta disagree there Lux. Tyson in his prime was not much more than a bull, a stronger, less skilled Frazier. He benefitted from beating a lot of tomato cans, developing a fearsome rep, and coming up when there wasn't much available to fight him (remember this is when Michael Spinks was a legitimate heavyweight contender). Most of his opponents had buckling knees stepping into the ring (think Spinks again). The first guy who wasn't scared of him AND wasn't too macho to stand toe to toe AND had a decent strategy to expose his weaknesses (stamina, footwork, reach, and patience) beat him like a drum. I know, I know, you're going to say he didn't take Douglas seriously, and didn't train properly, but fact was, all of what was exposed by Douglas was always there.

Ali fought a BUNCH of tomato cans as well. He's got Frazier (3 times), Foreman, and Norton (3 times) under his belt, and Archie Moore and Liston both towards the end of their careers. The myth that he ALWAYS fought these big time boxers just isn't true. It's just that that's all we're shown because those are what truly made him famous. In fact, a tomatoe can named Henry Cooper knocked Ali down when he fought in the U.K.

But Ali wasn't gonna take on Mike head-on like Buster did. Ali would've been a fool because Ali wasn't anywhere near as big as Buster was, so Ali wasn't ever gonna go toe-to-toe with the likes of that ridiculous combo of speed and power that Mike had. That just wasn't Ali's style, so Ali would've never discovered any of that about Mike, especially while Mike was in his prime.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
^^ I agree with 24, Ali took down Liston twice...Liston was all the animal Tyson was in the ring, during his prime... and Big George Forman, in his prime would take out Tyson, in his prime, IMO.

Ali is considered the Greatest of All Time for a reason!!!

C'mon, bro. Liston was done by then. Everyone knows that. Plus, Liston wasn't anywhere near as fast as Mike was, THAT'S what made Mike a freak - Middleweight speed with Heavyweight power. Foreman would be able to match Mike punch for punch, but Mike's superior speed would out pace Foreman.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Ali vs Tyson
5 - Kobe vs Doc (1-on-1)

I saw Tyson throughout his (sad, pathetic) career, starting when he was a regular on Top Rank Boxing (ESPN) and Tuesday Night Fights (USA Network). LIke I posted early, Ali is considered the Greatest of All Time for a reason...

And that's what a lot of people are focusing on and remembering Mike as - That lost, pathetic soul towards the end of his career, but to those of us that truly are students of the sweet science, Mike, in his prime, was unbeatable and the likes of that combo of speed, power, and ferociousness has never been seen since then. This isn't about who was declared the greatest, this is about Prime vs Prime. "Titles and Monikers" don't fight for either of them .
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject:

1972 Spitz vs 2008 Phelps would be good

1984 Mary Lou Retton vs Nadia Comenic vs Olga Korbut

1984 Carl Lewis vs 2008 Usain Bolt

1979 Michigan State Spartans (basketball) vs 1992 U of Michigan Wolverines (Fab Five)
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
1972 Spitz vs 2008 Phelps would be good

1984 Mary Lou Retton vs Nadia Comenic vs Olga Korbut

1984 Carl Lewis vs 2008 Usain Bolt

1979 Michigan State Spartans (basketball) vs 1992 U of Michigan Wolverines (Fab Five)

Phelps would abuse Spitz.

Carl - and I've called him the greatest athlete EVER - would get smoked by Usain.

The Fab 5 would abuse Maj's squad.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject:

funny that the thread is primarily about Tyson-Ali.

that's the FIRST thing i thought of when i saw the title.

Prime Tyson was DEVASTATING. I don't think it would be as big a cakewalk for Ali as some of you think but I'd still give the edge to Ali.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject:

The "original" dream team vs. today's team. Be fun to watch.
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Ali vs Tyson
5 - Kobe vs Doc (1-on-1)

Ali fought a BUNCH of tomato cans as well. He's got Frazier (3 times), Foreman, and Norton (3 times) under his belt, and Archie Moore and Liston both towards the end of their careers. The myth that he ALWAYS fought these big time boxers just isn't true. It's just that that's all we're shown because those are what truly made him famous. In fact, a tomatoe can named Henry Cooper knocked Ali down when he fought in the U.K.

But Ali wasn't gonna take on Mike head-on like Buster did. Ali would've been a fool because Ali wasn't anywhere near as big as Buster was, so Ali wasn't ever gonna go toe-to-toe with the likes of that ridiculous combo of speed and power that Mike had. That just wasn't Ali's style, so Ali would've never discovered any of that about Mike, especially while Mike was in his prime.

Ali was the best puncher backing up I've ever seen. He used that well against attacking fighters. And his foot and hand speed were both superior to Mike's. You also forget that a prime Ali took round after round of everything a prime Foreman, who anyone could tell you packed one of the bigger punches in history, had.

Oh, and Buster stuck and moved for most of that fight. Let Mike get a little winded, frustrated, and undisciplined.

Mike only knew how to do one thing: close and attack. He figured, rightly, that he could dish out enough punishment to be fatal before the other boxer could range in on him. A boxer with superior footwork, speed, and skill (all of which Ali had in spades on Douglas), combined with confidence, would take Tyson apart a piece at a time.

Last, Ali had every bit of the brutality and toughness attributed to Tyson. He was just flashy and skilled, so people don't recognize the straight up rage he carried into the ring.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Ali vs Tyson
5 - Kobe vs Doc (1-on-1)

Ali was the best puncher backing up I've ever seen. He used that well against attacking fighters. And his foot and hand speed were both superior to Mike's. You also forget that a prime Ali took round after round of everything a prime Foreman, who anyone could tell you packed one of the bigger punches in history, had.

Oh, and Buster stuck and moved for most of that fight. Let Mike get a little winded, frustrated, and undisciplined.

Mike only knew how to do one thing: close and attack. He figured, rightly, that he could dish out enough punishment to be fatal before the other boxer could range in on him. A boxer with superior footwork, speed, and skill (all of which Ali had in spades on Douglas), combined with confidence, would take Tyson apart a piece at a time.

Last, Ali had every bit of the brutality and toughness attributed to Tyson. He was just flashy and skilled, so people don't recognize the straight up rage he carried into the ring.

Ali's fighting skills were also superior to Henry Cooper...yet Cooper decked him. Now, if Cooper can knock Ali down....I'm pretty confident that Mike can easily knock down Ali.

And Ali went round for round with Foreman but he never took him head-on. Why? Because he KNEW that, even with his speed, that Foreman could knock him out with those meatclubs of his. Mike is a more devastating puncher and faster than Foreman.

And when did Prime Mike ever get winded? I never saw it. Again, this is PRIME Mike Tyson we're talking here.

And to say Mike only knew how to do one thing is way wrong. Mike was a savant of the fight game. The dude had superior head movement and defense for his weight class. he studied all the great fighters and began to mold his style after them. he had great footwork and one of the best uppercuts this side of Razor Ruddock.

And there's NO WAY IN HELL Ali had the same brutality that Mike had. Not even close. Not even in the same galaxy as Mike. That was Mike's main head game he held over his opponent and Ali had NEVER seen the likes of Mike. Mike's rage came from a different place while Ali's was manufactured for show. No fighter has ever matched Mike's killer instinct to this very day.

The bottomline is, Mike would eventually catch Ali. Every boxer has been caught. The problem with Ali is, he wouldn't have the power to phase PRIME Mike because Mike took on heavier hitters (and has been hit by heavier hittters) than what Ali could ever muster up.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Ali vs. Tyson (in his hay days of course)
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Ali vs Tyson
5 - Kobe vs Doc (1-on-1)

Ali's fighting skills were also superior to Henry Cooper...yet Cooper decked him. Now, if Cooper can knock Ali down....I'm pretty confident that Mike can easily knock down Ali.

And Ali went round for round with Foreman but he never took him head-on. Why? Because he KNEW that, even with his speed, that Foreman could knock him out with those meatclubs of his. Mike is a more devastating puncher and faster than Foreman.

And when did Prime Mike ever get winded? I never saw it. Again, this is PRIME Mike Tyson we're talking here.

And to say Mike only knew how to do one thing is way wrong. Mike was a savant of the fight game. The dude had superior head movement and defense for his weight class. he studied all the great fighters and began to mold his style after them. he had great footwork and one of the best uppercuts this side of Razor Ruddock.

And there's NO WAY IN HELL Ali had the same brutality that Mike had. Not even close. Not even in the same galaxy as Mike. That was Mike's main head game he held over his opponent and Ali had NEVER seen the likes of Mike. Mike's rage came from a different place while Ali's was manufactured for show. No fighter has ever matched Mike's killer instinct to this very day.

The bottomline is, Mike would eventually catch Ali. Every boxer has been caught. The problem with Ali is, he wouldn't have the power to phase PRIME Mike because Mike took on heavier hitters (and has been hit by heavier hittters) than what Ali could ever muster up.

You are forgetting about Ali's speed... Ali was very fast.... not to mention is tough as nails. Think Tyson could go 15 rounds with Ken Norton, with a broken jaw for 14 of those rounds? Hell no, Tyson didn't have heart (see the Holyfield fights). Ali would keep Tyson at bay with jab, like he did so many others. Mentally, Tyson couldn't handle Ali... Ali would get Tyson into the later rounds (something Tyson was rarely called to do in his prime), like Big George, then knock his a$$ out. Ali had a chin and a half, Tyson, not so much.

Also, good portion of Ali's prime was taken from him. And although he came back and end up being the GOAT, he wasn't the same fighter prior to being stripped of his title, and yet was still regards at the best heavyweight ever.

As for Henry Cooper, one lucky punch... and Ali still got up and finished him off. You talk as if Ali was constantly getting knocked down, like Cooper's punch was the standard for Ali. Please, if that was the case, Ali would of been on his back way more then he was in his career. Ali had a chin and half. And I never saw Ali crawling around the ring like a drunk dog looking for his mouth piece with one eye....
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Top 10 Sports Matchups You'd Want To See

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

1 - Ali vs Tyson
5 - Kobe vs Doc (1-on-1)

You are forgetting about Ali's speed... Ali was very fast.... not to mention is tough as nails. Think Tyson could go 15 rounds with Ken Norton, with a broken jaw for 14 of those rounds? Hell no, Tyson didn't have heart (see the Holyfield fights). Mentally, Tyson couldn't handle Ali... Ali would get Tyson into the later rounds, like Big George, then knock his a$$ out.

Also, good portion of Ali's prime was taken from him. And although he came back and end up being the GOAT, he wasn't the same fighter prior to being stripped of his title, and yet was still regards at the best heavyweight ever.

No, I've never forgotten about Ali's speed. But how did Ali's speed work out for him when Henry Cooper knocked him down? That's the point no one seems to want to address: Ali got knocked down by a tomato can. A lesser fighter than Tyson.

And yes, Tyson could go 15 rounds with Norton because Mike's gone long rounds with Superheavyweights that were a lot bigger than Ken Norton.

But you also forgot that Mike had speed as well, which, again, was what made him such a freak - Middleweight speed with Heavyweight power.

And again, you keep bringing up POST-PRIME MIKE. Why? That would be like me bringing up Ali's first fight against Leon Spinks. Again this is PRIME MIKE VS PRIME ALI. A prime Mike - Holyfield ducked and dodged him. Fact. Holyfield didn't want ANYTHING to do with Mike when he was ruling the weight class.

And you wanna talk about Ali getting a portion of his prime taken away from him...Did you forget the rape case Tyson caught that took away A LOT of his prime?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: