Who would win in a fight, a Great White Shark or a Killer Whale?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would win in a fight?
Great White Shark
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Killer Whale
79%
 79%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 39

C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
Jaws>Free Willy.

a full grown 25 foot 5 ton Killer Whale > a full grown 20 foot 3 ton Great White
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Man, you'll are under rating the GWS. He's got more of a killer instinct.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
rracer99
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:

c728 wrote:
Uh oh.

http://nnm.ru/pict/wow_mlya.jpg

The title of that pic, "What getting lit up looks like 10 secs before it happens"

It's gonna be hard to get in the water after that pic...
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:

In predatory world, size determines if an animal lives or dies. Orcas over Great Whites any time.

Having said that, I don't believe neither orcas nor great whites are top predators of the oceans though. I think sperm whales are probably top hunters. Adult sperm whale males can get up to 60 ft long, weigh 50 tons, and have a mouth (lower jaw) that is 16 ft long filled with teeth that can get up to 8 inches per (uniform teeth). Their blubber layer is 4-12 inches thick depending on body location. I don't think a 25 ft orca or a 20 ft great white have a chance against a sperm whale because these two would have a hard time just sinking their teeth past the blubber layer of the sperm whale to get to the vital organs. On the other hand, one bite (even a light one) from those 8 inch teeth will probabably be enough to inflict fatal damage to either great whites or orcas. And sperm whales aren't slow either, can reach speed of 27 mph.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/whales/species/Spermwhale.shtml

Here's another interesting comparison.

Hippo versus crocodiles!
(but this has already been pretty well documented that a hippo would win because a croc stands no chance against those 24-inch canines of male hippos)
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject:

rracer99 wrote:
c728 wrote:
Uh oh.

The title of that pic, "What getting lit up looks like 10 secs before it happens"

hopefully the orca was smart enough to realize that he wasn't a seal! I've seen on National Geographics that a seal got thrown something like 30 ft in the air with a whack an orca's flipper.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject:

Not real sure about the sperm whales; they mainly hunt giant squid. Killer whales hunt several species of whale, but what we know about it, is from seeing them attack coastal type whales. Killer whales live in all the oceans, but usually prey on the young/sick whales. Sperm whales, being deep ocean whales are probably pretty safe from killer whales and sharks.
Its_Game_Time
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject:

rracer99 wrote:
c728 wrote:
Uh oh.

Thats actually a Bottlenose Dolphin, forgot the site of where that pic came from though.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject:

Its_Game_Time wrote:
rracer99 wrote:
c728 wrote:
Uh oh.

Thats actually a Bottlenose Dolphin, forgot the site of where that pic came from though.

^ True dat. Surfline.com, iirc.
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Not real sure about the sperm whales; they mainly hunt giant squid. Killer whales hunt several species of whale, but what we know about it, is from seeing them attack coastal type whales. Killer whales live in all the oceans, but usually prey on the young/sick whales. Sperm whales, being deep ocean whales are probably pretty safe from killer whales and sharks.

Yes true that sperm whales are deep ocean hunters. They can go down to 10500 ft (which is amazing) and hold their breath for over an hour (also amazing for a mamal). So yeah the sperm whales operate in a totally different niche from orcas and great whites. But considering that a sperm whale can take down giant squids with montrous beaks that can crush a car, I think that has got to mean something.

And I don't think sperm whales fear sharks nor orcas. I think it's the other way around, more like the sharks and orcas don't have anything to worry about since sperm whales are deep hunters.

Back in the days when sperm whales were still being hunted by man, there have been stories that these giants, when threatened, have turned around and would ram a whaling ship (not the small boats) in self defense. I don't think great whites and orcas have the audacity to ram any ship with the intent to damage it. It's ashamed to think that man almost singledhandly wiped out the sperm whale species for their oil. I mean how do you replace a species like the sperm whales if they become extinct?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:

If you want to look at this from a biological/anthrological point of view, it would be far more difficult for a Great White Shark to take down a Killer Whale.

The killer whale has little obstruction when it comes to opening it's mouth and engaging in aggressive behavior with large animals.

Sharks on the other hand, tend to have their lower jaw further behind the nose. If I remember right, the jaw can extend out (but only so far) since it's made of cartilage, but in comparison of how wide it can open it's mouth compared to a Killer Whale? Small.

They can be as aggressive as they want. They'll only be biting fins/limbs, not as much of the body.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: