OFFICIAL Ron Artest Thread (ESPN - Artest Wants Trade, P. 104)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188, 189  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject:

Amick is far from a hack - he's excellent at what he does - and has excellent sources - he does his homework - and is breaking real stories daily.

Did you read his interview with Brad Miller?

He's absolutely right that Odom is available - and that LA wants Artest - he just knows what the Kings are saying they're willing to do - and so far it doesn't match.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Amick is far from a hack - he's excellent at what he does - and has excellent sources - he does his homework - and is breaking real stories daily.

He's absolutely right that Odom is available - and that LA wants Artest - he just knows what the Kings are saying they're willing to do - and so far it doesn't match.

Any chances of getting Deng from Chicago for LO?
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

The Lakers would be stupid to label Odom untouchable. As for Amick, I think he gets pieces to the puzzle and puts them togther, just not in the right place. I highly doubt the Lakers would give up Odom and take Kenny Thomas, which Amick was saying the Lakers offered. I'm sure he heard that Artest, Thomas, and Odom were being discussed.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject:

I'm sure Odom is available....But is he for Artest? That is the question.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Ron-Artest-to-the-Lakers talk is more media- and fan-driven than it is Lakers-driven. A source close to the situation tells me, "L.A. hasn't decided that it needs to go out and get Ron. It's not really committed to making a Ron Artest trade. It would take Kobe really pushing for this deal to give it a really good chance of happening.'' Kobe and Artest are friends, and Kobe wants Artest in L.A., but after last summer's PR disaster, his front office forays are over. Chances are Artest will start the season in Sacramento, and if the Kings struggle, he could be moved before the February trade deadline.

Per Chris Broussard of ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3500727&name=broussard_chris
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:
The Ron-Artest-to-the-Lakers talk is more media- and fan-driven than it is Lakers-driven. A source close to the situation tells me, "L.A. hasn't decided that it needs to go out and get Ron. It's not really committed to making a Ron Artest trade. It would take Kobe really pushing for this deal to give it a really good chance of happening.'' Kobe and Artest are friends, and Kobe wants Artest in L.A., but after last summer's PR disaster, his front office forays are over. Chances are Artest will start the season in Sacramento, and if the Kings struggle, he could be moved before the February trade deadline.

Damn you! I worked really hard to drive this piece of crap off the front page
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Amick never said the Lakers would take Artest - he said Odom was available (true) - and that LA wanted Artest (true) - but that from the Kings they'd have to take Kenny Thomas (to date true).
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:

Then you'll have to work harder than Lamar!

ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
emplay wrote:

Any chances of getting Deng from Chicago for LO?

Is Deng wanting out of Chicago?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
24 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:

Then you'll have to work harder then, Lamar!

You need an editor
JediRekal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Quote:

Code for... "take Kenny T. out of the deal" and we'll talk.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
Is Deng wanting out of Chicago?

He's unhappy with his contract negotiations and has more or less given them an ultimatum to work it out in short time or he will not re-sign with them. So I think he is available, and I think he'd be a far better option than Artest. He's a decent defender, good mid-range shooter, and he's used to being just one of the guys, I don't think his ego would be an issue.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Amick never said the Lakers would take Artest - he said Odom was available (true) - and that LA wanted Artest (true) - but that from the Kings they'd have to take Kenny Thomas (to date true).
He also said the Lakers called the kings and offered odom for artest, which he later backtracked on and said wasn't true and that the lakers haven't actually offered LO, but that he's available.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Since Lamar is available and the only obstacle seems to be a proper trade, does Deng qualify? Or possibly a Deng + Tyrus Thomas deal?
Magics80sLakersGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Phil J wrote:
The deal being discussed is Artest for Ariza, Mihm and Karl. Sounds ridiculous at first, but it's the best deal out there for Sac. At least they get a solid young prospect in Ariza out of it.

This still gonna happen Phil?

If all we need is 10/10 at C, we don't even need bynum cos Mihm can pull that down.

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject:

DzLaker wrote:

Artest plus ...
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
Since Lamar is available and the only obstacle seems to be a proper trade, does Deng qualify? Or possibly a Deng + Tyrus Thomas deal?

Deng+Tyrus Thomas, wishful thinking much? The Bulls value Thomas more than Gooden and about the same as Noah. They still have high hopes for Thomas. The only deal I could see working mathematically is Odom/Mihm for Deng/Gooden with Deng's salary being about 13 million in his first year. That being said, the Lakers would have to sweeten the pot and I don't think the 'Cats or Grizzlies pick does that. We don't have a first round pick to offer until 2012.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject:

So let me get this straight. The whole argument that Buss isn't willing to pay his fourth option 13-14 mil has gone out the window, right? How convenient.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
DzLaker wrote:

Artest plus ...

I'm sure the Kings could throw in some add-ons - Garcia, Salmons, Moore - that would entice the Laker's to feel that trading LO for Artest is worth the risk. But I'm pretty sure the King's won't do that.

So I see the Laker's instead trying to pry Artest from them with an Ariza, Farmar, Mihm package. Ultimately, a package comparable to that, from us or another team, is what it is going to take to get Artest. I think LO, Marion, Howard type talents and contracts is pipe on the King's part.
im_back
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject:

Arizona wrote:
So let me get this straight. The whole argument that Buss isn't willing to pay his fourth option 13-14 mil has gone out the window, right? How convenient.

Not saying this is LO's problem but paying a starter you need to hide vs. paying a starter who can apply pressure at both ends is a bit different.
Deng is both a system guy and a self sufficient player.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject:

DzLaker wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
DzLaker wrote:

Artest plus ...

I'm sure the Kings could throw in some add-ons - Garcia, Salmons, Moore - that would entice the Laker's to feel that trading LO for Artest is worth the risk. But I'm pretty sure the King's won't do that.

So I see the Laker's instead trying to pry Artest from them with an Ariza, Farmar, Mihm package. Ultimately, a package comparable to that, from us or another team, is what it is going to take to get Artest. I think LO, Marion, Howard type talents and contracts is pipe on the King's part.

Amik reported the Kings might deal Quincy Douby and Sheldon Williams with Artest for Odom.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject:

This thread is losing steam. We found the new darling at the Deng thread : )
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
This thread is losing steam. We found the new darling at the Deng thread : )

You're right... moved it to its true home.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Vidball
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject:

Here's to resuscitating the Artest thread--I wrote Scott Howard-Cooper (the guy that works for Sacbee and wrote about an LO trade for Artest/Williams/Douby)....here's what I wrote to him:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Cooper,
Long time reader, first time I'm sending an e-mail though. I've been waiting for you to weigh in on this a little bit more. Can you expand at all on, "this version that will undoubtedly be discussed between the teams, if it hasn't been already"? Is this from the Kings camp or is it something that you expect the Lakers to counter with since K9 isn't a desirable contract? It looks like you believe the Lakers would accept this deal--how about the Kings? Do the pro's outweigh the cons? Also, if Josh Howard becomes available, who is more desirable...Howard or Odom?

Thanks for your time

He wrote me back a huge response (he asked if he could use my Q in a blog...I think what he wrote me is probably gonna be a future blog of his). Here's what he wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, after that long-winded intro to my reply, my actual reply:
I'm sure the Lakers would prefer to avoid Kenny Thomas' contract. The Kings are the ones who would love to attach it to a Ron Artest deal -- if you want Artest at a workable salary, you have to take Thomas at a bad salary. That sort of thing.

I can not say with certainty the Lakers would accept the deal if it's Artest, Shelden Williams and Quincy Douby because they are intrigued by the possibility of an Andrew Bynum-Pau Gasol-Lamar Odom front line. They never got to see it last season because of Bynum's knee injury, and that unit would have amazing potential. So, it's not a certainty they would accept the non-Thomas version. They are down big men and may decide against the deal no matter what.

But if the Lakers do move forward, the Artest / Williams / Douby package would have to be more appealing than Artest / Thomas. If the Lakers dig in their heels and say they won't do any deal that includes Thomas, the Kings would have a tough call. It's possible they have other options out there that we're not aware of. Maybe they feel like they can do Artest / Thomas with someone. But to pass on the chance to get a talented small forward in trade for Artest would be hard. It's not the perfect outcome for the Kings, but it's a positive one and possibly the best they'll get considering the number of teams that have no interest in a spin on the Artest roller-coaster.

As for the choice between Odom and Josh Howard, I'd say Odom has a slight edge. They're essentially the same age -- Odom is about six months older -- and Odom can play two positions, is a better rebounder and much better at handling the ball. Howard will score more and is a good rebounder. The obvious concern is that he has a history of deferring too much.

The other consideration: Odom will be in the final season of his contract. If I'm the Kings, I like that flexibility in this time of roster transition. If he fits in and plays well, you pay him. You'll have to pay him a lot, and with the risk of losing him for nothing as a free agent, but any double-double guy who moves the ball so well will cost you a lot. If he doesn't work out, then he's gone as a free agent. Howard, by comparison, has two seasons, topping out at $11.4 million in 2009-10, plus a team option at $12.3 million that may include some guaranteed money.

Again, sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Hope you're having a good summer.

-- Scott
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject:

^Thanks for adding that, interesting... cool he responded. Still doesn't seem like the Lakers are pursuing Artest or anything though.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 187 of 189
Jump to: